Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I looked up Swarovski crytals ONCE to see how expensive an item in a story was supposed to be. I got ads for them for 3 years after. I will never buy your gaudy poo poo crystals, Swarovski.

The person managing Swarovski's data is bad at their job, thank you for telling me a consulting opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coleoptera
Feb 16, 2007

SERIOUS help for active skin.
I use just an antenna for my tv for regular television and I'm like an old person and mainly just watch the true crime network channel for background noise sometimes.
Every single commercial break will have at LEAST one ad for Medicare/Medicaid benefits, an ad for those car repair protection plans, or life insurance.
You see a lot old celebrities like Ice-T, William Shatner, Jimmy J.J. Walker, and a variety of sports people.
"Jonathan" from Colonial Penn can go away now. I'm so tired of hearing him tell me, hey, we're all gonna die, give me money so your $25,000 funeral doesn't bankrupt your family.
And if you haven't seen the first Ice-T Car Shield commercial, check it out. It's so sad. But hey, he made money.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

kntfkr posted:

MY MODERATE TO SEVERE PLAQUE PSORIASIS

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

teen witch posted:

Don’t ask how it goes for when I try and find nice supportive things for ED.

erectile dysfunction?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cubone posted:

erectile dysfunction?

q bone c'mon bro the thread is barely a page long

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
1-800-588-2300 Empire! today.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Everytime it's a commercial, my tv just says "you have to hide the bodies. You have to hide the evidence."
It's just weird because I'm not even watching crime shows and my cable has been disconnected for two years and my family won't answer me when I call them and it smells in here and why is the tv talking again it's saying"don't tell them what you did" but all I did was ask about targeting ads and they're screaming constantly and the walls are so dirty but the blood doesn't come off and when does paw patrol start?

Make an ad for THAT!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i spent about a week doing lots of googling and research to buy new kitchen knives. for like a month afterwards my internet experience turned into a budk catalog

advertising doesn't really work on me though. i only ended up buying a chef's knife, a santoku, a machete, a pair of dueling rapiers and a 50 shuriken grab bag

Cubone
May 26, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

q bone c'mon bro the thread is barely a page long
don't tell me about my own thread

this thread is about Judge Judy and you're all way off topic but I'm letting it go because I rule
my threads are always a good place for relaxing, and being a badass. and being smart and thinking about stuff. and being a sweetheart. in that order. and having good muscles.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

kntfkr posted:

also anyone else get that ad for crohns that starts with a lady yelling "BEGONE, CRONES" at her elderly mother

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lieutenant Dan posted:

also anyone else get that ad for crohns that starts with a lady yelling "BEGONE, CRONES" at her elderly mother

What in the world

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cubone posted:

don't tell me about my own thread

this thread is about Judge Judy and you're all way off topic but I'm letting it go because I rule
my threads are always a good place for relaxing, and being a badass. and being smart and thinking about stuff. and being a sweetheart. in that order. and having good muscles.

i'm absolutely not doing any of that stuff, i came in here exclusively to Jud-iciousl-y Judge you and you can't stop me

Cubone
May 26, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm absolutely not doing any of that stuff,

I know you're not and I'll pray for you

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

teen witch posted:

What in the world

I'm certain she's saying "BEGONE, CROHNS" but she does it while staring directly at an elderly lady and it cracks me up every time

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I'm certain she's saying "BEGONE, CROHNS" but she does it while staring directly at an elderly lady and it cracks me up every time

Are you serious

I need to see this

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Lately hipsters have been trying to sell me this weird belt that just looks like a flat piece of metal connected to a nylon strap

Oh and "wallets" that are just two pieces of metal joined by elastic, not sure what kind of wallet problems they were trying to solve with this but I'm pretty sure they created a few new ones

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I get all of my ads strictly from podcasts.

And that’s why I only wear Mac Wheldon underwear and take Blue Chew dick pills for my broken dick.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I have an ad blocker on my computer so the only ads I see are on tiktok and instagram and lemme tell you theres some weird poo poo on there, but my absolute favorite things are instagram ads because most of the time they have comments, and a lot of the time they dont bother curating them, so they're absolutely full of people saying "I tried this and it made all my toenails fall out" or warning people not to buy the item for other various reasons, or telling you where to get the product for cheaper. Genuinely love reading those comment sections.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I couldn't remember a single ad I have seen outside of this website. Don't you just ignore them? It's just white noise to me.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
the only place i get targeted ads on are weather.com because I decided to not block them on that site. For some reason.

And it's normally for ads for stuff that I use for images on this site.

Like that one-wheel board, or the jumpsuit thread, or whatever bs

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 6, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

kntfkr posted:

Those ads are awful. I'll tell you what though. I have a skin condition that uses the same drugs for treatment. That poo poo works. For years I went from dr to dr., dermatologist to dermatologist until one figured I should try it. A couple months later and it's night and day. It's seriously improved my QOL. Of course the drug is $3700 a month (thankfully I pay zero)

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
when tiktok was first becoming a thing and they were advertising on youtube, I recall multiple pretty obviously racist ones that put me off of joining for quite a long time, but its been like 50 years so I dont remember details now

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My kid watches youtube on TV. Just mindless slop, it's bad and I feel bad but what are you gonna do. Ad every 2 minutes on some poo poo. Alternating toys, BEING A SLAVE FOR JEFF BEZOS IS GREAT, and JACK FOR GOVERNOR.

I also use someone else's Hulu account and movies are one ad at the front. Series and tv is almost unwatchable for how many 2 minute ads there are. 4 blocks of 30 seconds. It's like 1) don't use tampons - put this in yr pussy instead, 2) you're poor coz you didn't buy an online degree from us, get unpoor, buy a degree, 3) you're poor cuz you ain't got this app, get this app 4) that goddamn cur Flo and her stupid loving lips or 5) prescription drug ad for moderate to severe plaque psoriasis, IBS, diabetes type 2.

My dad watches sports and I haven't sat through a whole game in years but I'm pretty sure they got rid of the sports part and it's just Geico and Disney + ads now and at the end they get guys in suits to count em up and tell you who won.

I dream of a world without ads. The only monetary value of facebook is that it's a loving billboard.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Honestly can't remember the last time I saw/heard an ad. I guess a month or two ago when I was using a friend's phone to play songs in her car? It was really jarring seeing ads on youtube and I'm not sure how people can stand being bombarded with garbage day in and day out. I use an app on my phone so that youtube has no ads, and on my comp I have it set up so all the suggestions etc are blocked so when I do a search it only shows me what's actually related to my search.

Cable TV gives me migraines because every channel does that stupid thing where they set the volume of the show at 50% and ads at 100%.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Do ads even work on people anymore? The only ad I think might work on me would be reviews on youtube. If the youtube seems honest and fair, I'll consider purchasing what they're reviewing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Do ads even work on people anymore? The only ad I think might work on me would be reviews on youtube. If the youtube seems honest and fair, I'll consider purchasing what they're reviewing.

Let me answer that with an unequivocal "yes".

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Honestly can't remember the last time I saw/heard an ad. I guess a month or two ago when I was using a friend's phone to play songs in her car? It was really jarring seeing ads on youtube and I'm not sure how people can stand being bombarded with garbage day in and day out. I use an app on my phone so that youtube has no ads, and on my comp I have it set up so all the suggestions etc are blocked so when I do a search it only shows me what's actually related to my search.

Cable TV gives me migraines because every channel does that stupid thing where they set the volume of the show at 50% and ads at 100%.

whats the no ad youtube ap?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Vanced is one.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kntfkr posted:

that goddamn cur Flo and her stupid loving lips

you are treading on thin ice buddy

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I think one part of the weirdness, at least on the internet is their positive feedback comes from people who actually click on the ads. I'm guessing mostly boomers and literal children. And the very dumb. I think this explains most of why the internet is horrifying.

For broadcast tv they're just guessing. Daytime tv means stay at home, retired, sick/injured, and unemployed. 2am? You can't sleep have mattresses and sleep aids.

The only thing I watch that I can't block ads is auto racing. Floor mats WEATHER TECH OFFICIAL SPONSOR OF IMSA CUP PHONE CUP PHONE ITS A PHONE HOLDER FOR YOUR CUP HOLDER and tires/Mazda/Cadillac with maybe a watch or something.

Edit:. I will say the one that I no poo poo was convinced by. F1 is sponsored by mother's polish and the whole race is ad free. F1 brought to you by mother's and then just racing till the end. If they make what I need in any form I buy their stuff now.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 7, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

I think one part of the weirdness, at least on the internet is their positive feedback comes from people who actually click on the ads. I'm guessing mostly boomers and literal children. And the very dumb. I think this explains most of why the internet is horrifying.

Boomers have a propensity to click, but across all age group stratums there is an undercurrent of the population who do click. Now, if you instead segment to "Facebook Users" oh fuckin oh boy do they go ripshit for ads they see and why I'm pretty sure you could convince that user base of literally anything even prior to Covid.

That said clicks are not how performance is usually tracked, but rather impression delivery versus sales. I.e., the company knows you saw the ad for their product within the last 7 days and you bought in that time period, so you get counted against the ad. It can get substantially more complex than this, obviously, but direct sales click->purchase is not the primary methodology.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My favorite ad is software huffing at me for turning targeted adds off. "You know I'm just going to advertise to you anyway, why won't you let me earn an extra buck literally selling you to people who want to exploit you? You are so rude."

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tarkus posted:

Good ads are explicitly designed to influence you without you consciously realizing it. All ads whether they're good or not these days exist primarily to inform you that a product exists, not necessarily to influence your purchase. We live in an era where we are buried beneath mountains of product options and without advertising it's very unlikely that anyone will even take notice of your product in the first place. But there are also large demographics of people who will willingly allow ads to influence their purchases yes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My personal equivalent of nails on a chalkboard is people buying something and saying something like "Yeah I kept seeing their commercials and it got me thinking, so I figured, why not?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ads have and will always work on people because that is how humans retain information, even if the information is functionally meaningless.

Its also why I'm a huge proponent of governments spending a hell of a lot more money on inoculation advertising with things like "vaccines work" and "rule of law matters".

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Barudak posted:

Boomers have a propensity to click, but across all age group stratums there is an undercurrent of the population who do click. Now, if you instead segment to "Facebook Users" oh fuckin oh boy do they go ripshit for ads they see and why I'm pretty sure you could convince that user base of literally anything even prior to Covid.

That said clicks are not how performance is usually tracked, but rather impression delivery versus sales. I.e., the company knows you saw the ad for their product within the last 7 days and you bought in that time period, so you get counted against the ad. It can get substantially more complex than this, obviously, but direct sales click->purchase is not the primary methodology.

Is it IP address x saw this ad then ordered later? Or does someone sell them the info that hondawhisperer is actually this person and then they can just see what I buy?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Targeted advertising works. It's how I keep ending up with mystery pills from Russia. I don't know what they are but the ads say they work and boy howdy do they.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

Is it IP address x saw this ad then ordered later? Or does someone sell them the info that hondawhisperer is actually this person and then they can just see what I buy?

Depends on the country, complexity, method, and category.

Example A: In many markets with Tobacco, Alcohol, Pharmaceuticals, etc. you need to register your information to verify yourself with government ID that you are allowed to see this stuff. This is in a shared government database, but the act of filling it out would be noticed by a website you are a member of since you can now access that content so you get put into a bucket of people with that website of "Meets Alcohol Criteria in Government Database + Membership Details and Info". What else you might be interested in or where else you go might be a mystery, since when you're not in this place it can't be guaranteed you meet the legal criteria to see the ads.

Example B: Luxury fashion in Europe, you can just turn off cookies and wander around anonymously and probably never register as anyone in particular. The only way to reach this person is to hope you're hitting sites that align with their tastes and that sales go up as long as your running media in those places (you can do more than this to measure and target, but just like, this is baseline).

Example C: You live in China and you have to use your real legal info to sign up for everything, your device is tied to your information, and the government quite literally pulls your purchase history to determine if you're a good citizen or not.

Outside of extremely hands-on markets like China, typically the tracking methods are cookie first, then login information pools. IP is pretty much reserved exclusively when you're doing something funky like targeting a specific building for advertising.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 7, 2021

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Jokes on them I’ll only buy poo poo I’ve never heard of in my life

-sent from Blackberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Barudak posted:

Depends on the country, complexity, method, and category.

Example A: In many markets with Tobacco, Alcohol, Pharmaceuticals, etc. you need to register your information to verify yourself with government ID that you are allowed to see this stuff. This is in a shared government database, but the act of filling it out would be noticed by a website you are a member of since you can now access that content so you get put into a bucket of people with that website of "Meets Alcohol Criteria in Government Database + Membership Details and Info". What else you might be interested in or where else you go might be a mystery, since when you're not in this place it can't be guaranteed you meet the legal criteria to see the ads.

Example B: Luxury fashion in Europe, you can just turn off cookies and wander around anonymously and probably never register as anyone in particular. The only way to reach this person is to hope you're hitting sites that align with their tastes and that sales go up as long as your running media in those places (you can do more than this to measure and target, but just like, this is baseline).

Example C: You live in China and you have to use your real legal info to sign up for everything, your device is tied to your information, and the government quite literally pulls your purchase history to determine if you're a good citizen or not.

Outside of extremely hands-on markets like China, typically the tracking methods are cookie first, then login information pools. IP is pretty much reserved exclusively when you're doing something funky like targeting a specific building for advertising.

Thanks! I don't know what else to ask but am curious about how all this works.