Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best targeting ad I ever worked on was targeting in and around strip clubs for body hair removal services. Not only was it effective, I got to have a pure double entendre meeting with the client while explaining the strategy that was making them tons of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I looked up Swarovski crytals ONCE to see how expensive an item in a story was supposed to be. I got ads for them for 3 years after. I will never buy your gaudy poo poo crystals, Swarovski.

The person managing Swarovski's data is bad at their job, thank you for telling me a consulting opportunity

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Do ads even work on people anymore? The only ad I think might work on me would be reviews on youtube. If the youtube seems honest and fair, I'll consider purchasing what they're reviewing.

Let me answer that with an unequivocal "yes".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

I think one part of the weirdness, at least on the internet is their positive feedback comes from people who actually click on the ads. I'm guessing mostly boomers and literal children. And the very dumb. I think this explains most of why the internet is horrifying.

Boomers have a propensity to click, but across all age group stratums there is an undercurrent of the population who do click. Now, if you instead segment to "Facebook Users" oh fuckin oh boy do they go ripshit for ads they see and why I'm pretty sure you could convince that user base of literally anything even prior to Covid.

That said clicks are not how performance is usually tracked, but rather impression delivery versus sales. I.e., the company knows you saw the ad for their product within the last 7 days and you bought in that time period, so you get counted against the ad. It can get substantially more complex than this, obviously, but direct sales click->purchase is not the primary methodology.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ads have and will always work on people because that is how humans retain information, even if the information is functionally meaningless.

Its also why I'm a huge proponent of governments spending a hell of a lot more money on inoculation advertising with things like "vaccines work" and "rule of law matters".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

Is it IP address x saw this ad then ordered later? Or does someone sell them the info that hondawhisperer is actually this person and then they can just see what I buy?

Depends on the country, complexity, method, and category.

Example A: In many markets with Tobacco, Alcohol, Pharmaceuticals, etc. you need to register your information to verify yourself with government ID that you are allowed to see this stuff. This is in a shared government database, but the act of filling it out would be noticed by a website you are a member of since you can now access that content so you get put into a bucket of people with that website of "Meets Alcohol Criteria in Government Database + Membership Details and Info". What else you might be interested in or where else you go might be a mystery, since when you're not in this place it can't be guaranteed you meet the legal criteria to see the ads.

Example B: Luxury fashion in Europe, you can just turn off cookies and wander around anonymously and probably never register as anyone in particular. The only way to reach this person is to hope you're hitting sites that align with their tastes and that sales go up as long as your running media in those places (you can do more than this to measure and target, but just like, this is baseline).

Example C: You live in China and you have to use your real legal info to sign up for everything, your device is tied to your information, and the government quite literally pulls your purchase history to determine if you're a good citizen or not.

Outside of extremely hands-on markets like China, typically the tracking methods are cookie first, then login information pools. IP is pretty much reserved exclusively when you're doing something funky like targeting a specific building for advertising.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 7, 2021