Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Talking about settings being better is not that big a deal... it couldnt be worse than it is in 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
**TRIP REPORT**

Installed it on my spare NUC, i5 (4core/8thread), 16GB, nvme

- There's a one-second pause in explorer when right-clicking any file before the new pop-up menu shows up, also it occasionally flickers to start to draw the window before it decides what options to present with the underlying content then adjusts the size after it figures that out
- Explorer is obviously not using a new framework, still same poo poo just with rounded corners - for example, using Onedrive files on demand and scrolling a folder with tons of images will spike your CPU 100% and be incredibly unresponsive (even if all thumbnails are created) also selecting the awful search window in explorer in dark mode will have it flash white before it redraws in the correct theme, same as Windows 10, acts like a web extension which it basically is
- Since this isn't my main PC I stopped Onedrive backup syncing up my docs/desktop - then minutes later, it turned on again
- Start menu, more like stop menu with how it stops my productivity!!! 🤣

The task view doesn't nudge the windows down a pixel anymore when invoking it, so there's a plus I guess, also the scaling method they're using now seems better, the content of the windows seems more legible. When you click X to close a window in task view btw though, it flickers a few times as it redraws it with a huge low-res thumbnail of the icon stretched before removing, absolute bush league poo poo

This is a notebook CPU with integrated GPU so no great shakes but the new mica (?) effects were supposed to actually be less intensive than the Win10 implementation, but christ this feels far less responsive than W10 on this machine

recommendation: upgrade immediately

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 6, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

forever the wet dream of every nerd with no stake in anything.

:smugmrgw:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

**TRIP REPORT**

Installed it on my spare NUC, i5 (4core/8thread), 16GB, nvme

- There's a one-second pause in explorer when right-clicking any file before the new pop-up menu shows up, also it occasionally flickers to start to draw the window before it decides what options to present with the underlying content then adjusts the size after it figures that out
- Explorer is obviously not using a new framework, still same poo poo just with rounded corners - for example, using Onedrive files on demand and scrolling a folder with tons of images will spike your CPU 100% and be incredibly unresponsive (even if all thumbnails are created) also selecting the awful search window in explorer in dark mode will have it flash white before it redraws in the correct theme, same as Windows 10, acts like a web extension which it basically is
- Since this isn't my main PC I stopped Onedrive backup syncing up my docs/desktop - then minutes later, it turned on again
- Start menu, more like stop menu with how it stops my productivity!!! 🤣

The task view doesn't nudge the windows down a pixel anymore when invoking it, so there's a plus I guess, also the scaling method they're using now seems better, the content of the windows seems more legible. When you click X to close a window in task view btw though, it flickers a few times as it redraws it with a huge low-res thumbnail of the icon stretched before removing, absolute bush league poo poo

This is a notebook CPU with integrated GPU so no great shakes but the new mica (?) effects were supposed to actually be less intensive than the Win10 implementation, but christ this feels far less responsive than W10 on this machine

recommendation: upgrade immediately

vergescore 9.3

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

well don't get a non-pro sku because home edition now requires a microsoft account in windows 11. windows 11 pro doesn't but i don't know how much of a pain in the rear end they make it to use a local account on a fresh install
Not as bad as some versions of windows 10 (you don't need to unplug the network to get the option), but it does ask if you're really, really sure multiple times before it lets you create a local account.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

win11 seems like it has some dumb stuff but nothing quite win8 levels of dumb.

though happy_misnathrope's post sure does make it sound like this thing still needed another year in the oven

i don't think enough people are talking about ms pushing teams to the consumer market though, wtf is that about. skype is still around and they're even releasing a new design for it. so where does teams fit in here? ms looking to compete with google on the messaging front?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

someone in the executive suite heard about discord and said “why don’t we have a product in this space”

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
teams is trying to compete with slack by integrating group messaging and channels. but it is a huge piece of garbage so that isn’t working out so well.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I noticed there’s normal trash Teams and a new Teams that’s not “for work or school account”. one has an inverted color scheme on the T icon

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my org uses teams, it's fine ime

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

wow 4 pieces of poo poo in a 1 piece of poo poo bag

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
teams is only fine if you ignore the typical Microsoft jank (ie everything sorts of work but is also a bit broken)

like a coworker asks me something a couple days ago then he's like "oh sorry didn't notice you're out of office" and I'm like "not that was yesterday" but his teams was displaying stale information. sure, not a big deal for the primary tool used to synced between people not being on site

or you have a coworker typing and you do a double take because for some reason there's someone else's picture next to his name

or someone calls you and teams have decided you don't have a mic and it just doesn't show up in the settings and there's not even a little hint as to why and you end up just calling the guy on the phone

or someone calls you and you accept the call but the call alert sound doesn't stop and keeps playing forever and you have to kill and restart it, after which it usually doesn't recognize your mic anymore

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 7, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there was a cool bug with teams and macbooks running boot camp where closing a video call would disable the camera completely until the next reboot

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Teams is a kludge of multiple bad applications on top of a SharePoint

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
people still use boot camp?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

people who insist on having macs in a pc only corporate environment do. it's a niche, but it exists

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
speaking of boot camp where is my new arm macs, Tim? I want to migrate all of my work stuff over but I need more cores

edit: wrong thread lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

speaking of arm cores, windows 11 supports 64bit x86 apps on arm, a feature no one anywhere has reviewed because the number of windows on arm device could be counted on one hand

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

my family, we're a Team, that's why we use Microsoft Teams to stay in touch using Windows 11, the most advanced operating system of 2021

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i'm glad microsoft made the best linux distribution even better this year

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

infernal machines posted:

speaking of arm cores, windows 11 supports 64bit x86 apps on arm, a feature no one anywhere has reviewed because the number of windows on arm device could be counted on one hand

this was in windows 10 too? I’ve been running x86-64 apps in windows 10 arm on my m1 macbook. it’s fine I guess.

not touching windows 11 till they bring back vertical taskbars tho, gently caress this horizontal poo poo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

2021 will truly be the year of Linux on the desktop

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
how long till there are linux apps that no longer work outside wsl

embrace extend extinguish

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the only reason microsoft doesn’t get more poo poo for their messaging mess is because google existd

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
like they paid some ungodly amount got skype and then just completely fumbled the transition with accounts and now everyone uses zoom

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

does calc.exe still randomly make everything hang on launch

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

teams is poo poo. only 15 pinned chats for no apparent reason. hope your team doesn't have more than 15 people you need to consistently be in contact with so you need to hunt down through the chats

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

when does windows 12 come out since they release (worse) garbage pretty much every other version

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

refleks posted:

teams is poo poo. only 15 pinned chats for no apparent reason. hope your team doesn't have more than 15 people you need to consistently be in contact with so you need to hunt down through the chats

it's impressive how bad and clunky it is for simple chatting

I'm of the opinion that anyone who thinks teams is good is brain damaged in some way and I cannot be convinced otherwise

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

anyone who thinks teams is good is brain damaged

it's not nice to make fun of former skype for business users
haven't they suffered enough already

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Soricidus posted:

this was in windows 10 too? I’ve been running x86-64 apps in windows 10 arm on my m1 macbook. it’s fine I guess.

i'm pretty sure that's still an insider build feature on windows 10, it's in the windows 11 mainline release

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/windows-11-bug-could-reduce-ryzen-cpu-performance-by-up-to-15-amd-says/

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

TerminalRaptor posted:

Man, I miss the perk of my old job with my MSDN access.

its gone through 7 name changes since then and have no idea what its called now

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

with a thud the large brown paper package lands on satya's porch. scrawled in black sharpie are the words "Thanks from Santa Clara"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I like the new rounded corners. Worth the upgrade.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Even though edge is in dark mode the scrollbar is still light gray which is weird.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
not papered over at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

not papered over at all

is the complaint that you wanted it to give you an error or...?