Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/windowsinsider/status/1449068111618101251?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

a PowerShell bug that can fill up a storage volume with "an infinite number of child directories" when you try to move a directory into its own child directory

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

my org uses teams, it's fine ime

compared to lync/skype for business it rocks, although that’s damning with the faintest praise imaginable. i don’t like that opening an excel spreadsheet through it it seems to use 2 cpu cores tho

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

teams is poo poo and its a breach of the Geneva conventions that I am forced to use it for work

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

refleks posted:

teams is poo poo and its a breach of the Geneva conventions that I am forced to use it for work

we acquired a company recently that uses teams and they all whine constantly about having to switch to slack

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

so sorry about having acquired an entire company of morons.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
teams and slack are both bad just in different ways

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Laughing at all the people who actually installed windows 11.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, i'm glad i read this thread and stuck with 10 for the indefinite future.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

“it’ll be different this time, microsoft has changed”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it is different. it's worse, which is still different

02B6C4
Sep 19, 2021
explorer shell extensions are buried under a sub-menu now wtf

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Laughing at all the people who actually installed windows

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

02B6C4 posted:

yes well you see the right-click menu tends to get cluttered because developers could pretty much do whatever the gently caress they wanted to there

ms has decided to fix this by sweeping the problem under the rug

what would take 2 clicks now takes 3 clicks and as we all know, bigger numbers are better so this is clearly a good solution

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

yes well you see the right-click menu tends to get cluttered because developers could pretty much do whatever the gently caress they wanted to there

ms has decided to fix this by sweeping the problem under the rug

what would take 2 clicks now takes 3 clicks and as we all know, bigger numbers are better so this is clearly a good solution

they've reinvented the infinitely nested menus of office (95-2003), because that was such a good design decision then. personally, i can't wait for the new ribbon context menu

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
explorer should have tabs AND you should be able to side by side the tabs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

norton commander's back baby

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

02B6C4 posted:

lol wtf

i use a shitload of stuff w/ right click

i'm assuming this is to get around the performance issues that lovely extensions can cause

02B6C4
Sep 19, 2021

:cool:

02B6C4 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 17, 2021

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

of course the menus look different too. just zero attention to detail at microsoft.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol wtf

i'm assuming this is to get around the performance issues that lovely extensions can cause
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsdeveloper/2021/07/19/extending-the-context-menu-and-share-dialog-in-windows-11/

bold of them to assume windows devs will ever use a new api over abusing backwards compatibility forever

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol wtf

Easy fix for that: https://www.howtogeek.com/759449/how-to-get-full-context-menus-in-windows-11s-file-explorer/

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Easier fix: https://do-not-install-windows-11-yet-lol.lmao/

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
(good to know if work forces me to upgrade, but i think it'll be at least a year before we even think about it)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to be clear generally windows 11 is perfectly livable, don't go through any hassle downgrading or anything, but it is just so stupid how they've changed so few things and almost all for the worse.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
it's just a taskbar with arbitrarily less features, and i mean arbitrary, i doubt things like "show clock on multiple monitors" or "pin program from taskbar" were holding them back

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
its just typical of any Microsoft product where they just make a new menu with 80% of the features but keep the old one around for that last 20% and never reach feature parity. then next version is 80% of the previous and so on and so forth

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't understand why they just can't copy all the features over into the new UI.

yes it might look cluttered at first.

figure it out, it's literally your job.

i hate the windows 10 settings dialog and still go back to the old control panel for everything.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wild EEPROM posted:

its just typical of any Microsoft product where they just make a new menu with 80% of the features but keep the old one around for that last 20% and never reach feature parity. then next version is 80% of the previous and so on and so forth

one on hand this is how I live my life, when I tidy up my lounge for example, theres like 20% of it that has no home and ends up in a large plastic tub in the garage.

then again, I'm not a multinational multibillion dollar company... yet

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
how is it there's a new Windows OS and this thread isn't already 500 pages of things making fun of it?

get off your lazy asses and entertain me, people!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
nobody is going to install it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
it's a lame wet fart of a release

i don't even want to fire up a vm of it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

windows is like toilet water

it's just kind of there, but nobody thinks about it and definitely doesn't want to touch it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mikkkro$$$oft Winblow$$$ 11

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Mikkkro$$$oft Winblow$$$ 11

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008