Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

this would kinda make a good gangtag lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the tpm requirement means i can't install windows 11 on my 2020 intel mac mini. lol.

why would i do this is beside the point

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my computer just told me i can download win 11. when would be a non-insane time to do so? a year from now?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mine has gone from telling me my computer can't run windows 11 to saying it can, but they won't let me yet

not really seeing this as an issue

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

my computer just told me i can download win 11. when would be a non-insane time to do so? a year from now?

it is hardly *insane* even now, but it is simply a bit worse so don't bother unless there is something you want from the upgrade (e.g. wsl graphics)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I can't run it because my computer doesn't have the magic security chip.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i had a dream my computer updated to windows 11 without me telling it to. It was horrible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

idk, it probably won't be significantly better in a year. it's not significantly worse than windows 10, but none of the things that are different are particularly worth upgrading for so at best you're trading in a relatively predictable set of quirks and annoyances for a slightly new set, and some different icons

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just installed it and it sucks. They removed desktop peek and there's no way to get it back.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I just installed it and it sucks. They removed desktop peek and there's no way to get it back.

lol owned

back in my day, they called it "aero peek" :okboomer:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

windows key + , still works though

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

i'm sure it's still hidden away in ye olde control panel

edit: yup:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SupSuper posted:

that isn’t windows 11

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I refuse to believe windows 11 exists. the internet made it up

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

carry on then posted:

that isn’t windows 11
better?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

those rounded corners make everything better

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
changes border radius value slightly

Windows 12 you’re welcome bitch

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

changes border radius value slightly

Windows 12 you’re welcome bitch

hey let’s not get too macos now

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

akadajet posted:

hey let’s not get too macos now

impossible, macos at least has nominal amounts of care put into the design

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

leaked windows 12 screenshot

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
somehow windows 11 looks worse than those fan renders that used to be so popular on deviantart and similar

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

r u ready to WALK posted:

leaked windows 12 screenshot

if you keep erasing to the right you can end up at beos

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
nah, in windows 12 the windows will be round

portholes 1

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

portholes 1

i'm on board with this idea

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/11/expired-windows-11-certificate-breaks-some-built-in-apps-and-tools/

quote:

If you've been noticing strange issues with some of Windows 11's built-in apps and tools since the calendar rolled over to November, you're not alone. In a post on Microsoft's Known Issues page for Windows 11, the company says that an expired digital certificate is rendering some users "unable to open or use certain built-in Windows apps or parts of some built-in apps."

Affected apps include the Snipping Tool, the Accounts page of the Settings app (but only when running Windows in S mode), the Touch Keyboard, Voice Typing, the Emoji picker, the Input Method Editor, and the Tips app. There's no indication that Windows 10's versions of any of these apps have been affected.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you're using the windows 11 beta, you deserve what you get.

yes I know it was actually released a month ago

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SupSuper posted:

Oh poo poo thanks lol

The new start menu and Taskbar are terrible

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just checking in on this thread how are things going

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Jonny 290 posted:

just checking in on this thread how are things going

they're going to 11, op

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I pasted a path I mangled into explorer’s address bar and it opened a tab to search for it in bing in my browser

I think it had double quotes around it and I removed one of them

thanks Microsoft

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
windows 11.3 spuorgkrow rof

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hed posted:

I pasted a path I mangled into explorer’s address bar and it opened a tab to search for it in bing in my browser

I think it had double quotes around it and I removed one of them

thanks Microsoft

this is (or at least was) something you can turn off, hidden somewhere in the bowels of explorer's settings. or maybe search settings. or maybe it's a group policy

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SupSuper posted:

So I did this and peek still doesn't work lol

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not good

02B6C4
Sep 19, 2021
don't worry,

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i finally fixed the windows not updating issue from months ago. just had to run this normal command dism /online /remove-capability /capabilityname:Analog.Holographic.Desktop~~~~0.0.1.0 to remove a microsoft-provided package. now im no computer expert but were i in charge, i would simply not provide updates that break the entire update capability of the os

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
When I update Linux I click on the update button and 5 minutes later everything is updated. MacOS and Windows both fail terribly at update times.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the last time i installed a windows the updates just wouldn't show up at all. i had to waste hours googling forums posts and downloading random poo poo named things like kb348957093219752305934.exe to finally get it working a day later. then i spent another several hours googling why trying to install their goddamn updates kept failing at 90%, with each attempt taking about an hour (the solution was to manually install another random file named kb9348532092349542087.exe)

ladies and gentlemen, the "grandma friendly os" (assuming you have a grandchild to janitor it for you)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
works on my machine, op

But I'm not running the win 11 beta, soooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

But I'm not running the win 11 beta, soooo

i literally have not installed a windows since windows 7

i've touched windows 10 in limited capacity to help relatives in a pinch, and every time i wanted to throw it out of the window :rimshot: within 5 minutes. all of them took my advice and have macs now, so i don't get calls about stupid cj bullshit anymore

i have never, ever touched windows 11, and i never will unless under duress