Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Beth being in the game makes even less sense than before now. She already was the odd one out, in that the others all had some kind of connection and she didn't. Now we find out that the contestants were deliberately chosen because the ones behind the scenes knew everything about them: Tiana for Ray, Liza's father for Liza, Sean for Ink and Aether as an AI. But Beth? I think she would have mentioned it if she recognized Sean or Tiana, given the amount of knowledge they would have had about her.

The most obvious answer would be if the mysterious sponsor knew Beth. One of her son's relatives who blames her for his death. They might have even used the money she buried in the garden. That would also mean that the entire setup was mostly to punish Beth, with the other four just being there for the software demo.

Comedy answer: Beth is the AI. Ink clearly loves her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We all do.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Quackles posted:

You mean Aether Irving?

:doh:!!!!

I am a dumb.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
28.2: Love

(Music: Harrow, 0.75 speed)

Shaking and static. The screen flashes red.

No.

She can’t be.

It’s not true, Ink!

I-I know. He’s just trying to screw with me.

I mean, I knew you’d fall for it, but I thought you’d at least realize the truth when I laid it out in front of you.

But—

Ink bared his teeth, just barely avoiding a full-on panic attack.

Look at her – she’s clearly human! She’s too real to be anything else!

I’m curious: why can you accept that this world is a fabrication, but not her?

You can’t just make up a person like that!

Yeesh. You’re really coming apart at the seams, huh?

Of course you think y—

Okay, that’s enough horsing around.

I’m gonna have to take you offline before things get out of hand.

Sean ignored her, looking to Ink instead.

The music stops.

The screen flashes and shakes. Static.

Aether and Sean fade off the screen. Shaking.

The girl began to claw at her own neck, howling like a thing possessed. She tore and tore and tore, removing her shawl, glasses, hood – anything that could get between her nails and her throat.

The screen shakes.

She began to squeeze, shake, pull apart—

The screen shakes.

And then she stopped.

Everything stopped. Complete silence.

Ink fell to his knees. Why had he even entertained the thought that he was right?

(Music: Ad Nauseam (Tendrils), 0.25 speed)

Why, Sean? Why would you do this to me?

This has to be the cruelest...

Ink wiped his mess of a face on his sleeve.

...cruelest thing.

Someone who’d come “rescue” her, even if it meant his life.

You had an easy way out, and yet you didn’t take it. You followed Aether all the way here, even though it was likely to result in your death.

The screen shakes.

But why would you go through all that trouble just to humiliate me?!

Ink rose from the ground, snapping at his peer with all the rage of a tempest. Had he ever been this upset before?

Don’t you get it, dude?

Ink could only stare at her, stupefied.

She’s cute, huh?

If you suspected that, then why were you—

Hitting on you?

So everything... it was all to get me to like her?

Waking up in the same room as her was an important first step. The implication that you’d slept together was enough of a push to give you the idea that the two of you had chemistry.

And, really, that’s all it took. The rest, well...

The rest I filled in myself.

Hold on – you didn’t give her that ability?

Hell no! That’d have been way too suspicious.

But then how did she know about Tiana? About my scar?

We’ve been running multiple coroutines to ensure that none of this stray information actually reaches her, but I guess some of it ended up slipping through the cracks.

Slam. The screen shakes.

Ink kicked the nearest bed in frustration.

I’m an idiot. Such a loving idiot.

It’s all that reading you do. All those stories with love subplots that come out of nowhere... all those love interests that seem to have no other purpose than to romance the lead...

Truth be told, there were a few points where I worried you’d figure it out. But you ignored the truth even when it was staring you in the face.

But you didn’t think anything of it, did you? You and your books and your own weird name. I knew you’d eat it right up.

Sean couldn’t seem to keep the grin off his face. It was as if this were the funniest thing in the world.

So are you done tearing into me yet?

Y-Yeah. When you’re right, you’re right.

Tiana began to type away at the workstation near the back of the room.

I’ll be the last one out. For now, just get comfortable in—

The screen shakes.

Wait!

The music stops.

There’s one last thing I want to know before we leave.

Sean...

...why did you swap places with Liza in her Corner?

You said that Beth was alive. The implication being that getting killed here wouldn’t affect you in the real world.

So then why was it necessary to prevent Liza from taking those pills? It doesn’t make any sense.

Unless, of course, you’ve been lying to us.

(Music: Wit’s End, 1.25 speed)

So you were trying to kill us after all!

The two of you were never meant to come to harm. You’re safe now.

Do you seriously expect us to trust you at this point?

Sorry, but my trust reserves are running a little low right now.

Sean was right, of course: Ink was trapped.

I’ve got to be ready to make a break for it. But how do I get out of here?

Oh! There is THAT option, I guess...

A singular thought infested his mind. It was the only tool – person, rather – that he had left at his disposal.

Well, if it doesn’t work, it’s not like this situation can get any worse.

He looked back at the door leading out. It was sealed with an electronic device, as were most doors in this place.

What if I told you I was going to pick this lock?

Doesn’t matter. What’s important is that I intend to pick this lock.

Would you consider that... cheating?

What are you—

There’s a distant rumbling. The screen shakes and cuts to black.

The shaking was fiercer than it had ever been. Sent had clearly gotten the message.

Ink, having expected it, was the only person to not fall over.

Against his better judgement, he ran forward and grabbed her by the wrist.

To his surprise, she didn’t fight back. She didn’t resist when Ink pulled on her, either; she seemed to follow without protest.

Aether in tow, Ink hurried over to Liza, who was still on the floor.

Gimme your hand!

Getting us out of here. Follow me.

Collectively, they turned towards the door leading out.

Sent, listen to me.

These people – your masters – are going to hurt us.

You’re the only person who can prevent something horrible from happening.

So, please... if you really do care, Sent, you will open this door.

There’s a brief pause.

We hear the click of a door unlocking.

Yes! Thank you!

As they began to file through their only exit, a voice cried out from the back of the room.

Anything’s better than putting my fate in your hands.

So I’m leaving. On my own terms.

Your mind will just make everything up. It could be dangerous.

Y-Yeah. You have no idea what’s going to happen out there.

The screen fades to black.

I’ll take my chances.

Ink turned to face Sent’s voice: it was coming from one of the monitors along the wall.

Sent, I—

Don’t let me distract you. I’ll only be able to hold them off for so long.

And you still helped me, knowing they’d kill you?

Ink glanced at the laboratory door, knowing that their time grew short.

Why did he feel so guilty all of a sudden?

I wish I could hate you.

I wish you were the malicious AI I’d imagined you to be. I wish that you were the mastermind behind Exit/Corners.

But you’re not. You’re just a product of circumstance.

Don’t get me wrong – I don’t think you’re completely innocent. But you’re not beyond redemption.

So... thank you. For giving us a chance.

You’re very welcome, Ink.

I won’t forget it.

The screen flashes. Static.

Sent?

Oh, crap.

Eh. We owed him our thanks. I guess.

Why’s Aether, um...?

I don’t know. Don’t worry – she won’t slow us down.

Come on. Let’s get out of here.

And so they ran.

Back through the hallways, bars, studies – all the way back to the main hall.

It looked the same as it always had, with one key difference: the Exit was open.

The music stops.

Holy poo poo.

(Music: Stranglehold, 0.25 speed)

That’s not normal, right?

Sure isn’t.

No idea.

Anyway, I’ll go first.

If it’s not safe, we’re kind of screwed anyway.

Here goes nothing...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know you're a special breed of horrible when the AI that's spent the last several hours trying to convince people to commit suicide is the most sympathetic person in your group.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Sent :unsmith:

Aether :smith:

Who was it that said that Aether had to be Ink's corner? That was 100% on the mark, well done!

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Leraika posted:

Who was it that said that Aether had to be Ink's corner? That was 100% on the mark, well done!

That was Kinu Nishimura, in this astonishingly impressive piece of theorising. I'd also like to give a shout-out to MarquiseMindfang for accidentally nailing an endgame revelation as early as page two:

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Aether comes off as almost hard-wired by the developers to like you regardless of what you do, so I don't imagine it would be easy to lose favour with her even if we neglect her somewhat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Out of curiosity, Rith, will you show off what dialogue is added if Rae is here?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 19, 2022

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I love LP threads of grand mystery plots because going through everything at this pace means someone almost always manages to put things together in advance and it's never not incredible when those things then come to pass.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

This is technically not something that's come up yet, although I imagine some people have guessed it's a possibility! If you could edit it out, that would be great, although it's not a huge deal. (In any case, the answer is yes.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, oops. I just kinda figured that was a possibility. But I edited the message. Sorry about that!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Poor ink he's gonna have to sever from his only friend so hard

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I don't think Sean was ever a friend.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

dervival posted:

I don't think Sean was ever a friend.

He absolutely was, from ink's perspective.

That said, the game still has the "mastermind" possibility of "yep, we actually wanted to see what happens if you run out into no input zone, but we had to make sure you knew what this was first".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Rith posted:

But you didn’t think anything of it, did you? You and your books and your own weird name. I knew you’d eat it right up.

lol, gently caress you for everything sean, but most especially for this

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Is Ink non-binary?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Is Ink non-binary?
He’s all but explicitly a trans man and was utterly baffled by the idea that Sent could be something besides a man or a woman until ‘AI’ was brought up as an option.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Somehow that whooshed right past me.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Leraika posted:

Sent :unsmith:

Aether :smith:

I DONT FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Somehow that whooshed right past me.
A lot of the really big hints are dropped during and around the conversation about his old name, Kim, before he changed it. And yeah, while Kim is gender neutral or even masculine depending on where you are, the way he talks about it, about his parents not being very happy about it, how he gets very defensive when Beth interrogates him about it, and strongly requests everyone keep calling him Ink? The obvious conclusion is that it's his deadname. And early on, Aether mentions him having a scar that she recognizing the meaning of, and understands that he'd want to keep a secret. Top surgery fits the bill.

Edit: Found the name conversation. And the scar one.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 20, 2022

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Rith posted:

I'd also like to give a shout-out to MarquiseMindfang for accidentally nailing an endgame revelation as early as page two:

Ha! Fortunate phrasing indeed.

Incidentally, can you actually have low trust with Aether given how it overflows at the end there?

Is there like a whole other route where Ink rubbishes her clairvoyance and just buggers off at the end?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Relationship score so low you are the murderer

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Incidentally, can you actually have low trust with Aether given how it overflows at the end there?

Is there like a whole other route where Ink rubbishes her clairvoyance and just buggers off at the end?

Some choices will decrease Aether's trust; she doesn't like it if you accuse Liza, break Beth's chest, dismiss her concerns about Rae's ability to pick locks, refuse to help Beth put back the sword, tell her to keep talking to her father over Gemini, or go 'don't look at me, I didn't tell her anything!' when she mentions Tiana's name in front of Rae. Whatever you do, though, Aether's trust will automatically max out in the late game, and there aren't any story events that require a particular level of trust with her. (Whenever I called for a trust vote, I was hoping she wouldn't win it! There are benefits to building trust with the other characters, but high trust with Aether is inevitable.)

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
Huh, I completely missed the implication that Liza is a lesbian when I played the game. Of course, "if you suspected..." doesn't necessarily imply the suspicion is correct, but it's a possible reading, anyway.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
28.3: Nowhere

Alien though it was, the strange landscape had done Ink no harm.

When he turned around to face the others, he was surprised to find no hotel behind him. In fact, there was no building there at all.

In its place was a window into the hotel, like a screen hanging in midair.

It’s safe. See?

What are you even standing on?

I don’t know, exactly. But it’s solid, trust me.

Liza crossed the threshold herself, pulling Aether along behind her.

We run. As fast and as far as we can.

And then... I don’t know. I’ll try and think of something. Our safety comes first.

Liza and Aether fade off the screen.

Follow me.

Actually, Ink...

What?! No!

We can’t trust Sean and Tiana. It’s not safe.

Still, I’m going to see if I can get past them and find my Gemini.

Didn’t you throw that down a grate?

Until then, you just need to get as far away as you can. If Sean or Tiana finds you...

I know. I won’t let them reach me.

Are you sure about this?

...I guess this is where we part ways, then.

I’m sure we’ll see each other again.

Oh. S-Sorry, I forgot.

Oh, don’t worry about it. It’s the last thing on my mind at this point.

I know things are pretty overwhelming right now. I felt the same way when we escaped my Corner.

Thanks, Liza. I think I needed to hear that.

You know, more than anyone else, you’ve really surprised me today. I never would’ve guessed you could be so compassionate.

I think you’ve got a bright future ahead of you.

Let’s get out of here, then.

You too. See you on the other side.

Liza fades off the screen.

And with that, they parted.

The music stops.

Even pulling Aether behind him, Ink ran faster than he’d ever run in his life.

We can hear wind blowing.

That’s what it felt like, at least. The only way Ink could tell how far he’d run was by periodically looking over his shoulder back at the hotel.

The pane of bright light – a window into The Four Elements – was the only thing Ink could discern amidst the enveloping darkness. It grew smaller and smaller as he ran, eventually growing so small that it resembled the moon on a well-lit night.

With no one apparently in pursuit, Ink quickly turned to his companion.

For what it’s worth, I’d like to believe you’re still in there, somewhere.

I guess that’s why I took you with me. Even if you’re not real, and even if I am a fool for falling for you...

I just couldn’t leave you hanging.

If there’s even the smallest chance that you’re still in there, I wanted to get you away from the monster that did this to you. I figured you’d appreciate it.

Aether?! Is that actually you?

Side? What side?

Come on, Aether! If you’re in there, give me a sign.

I... I just need some kind of sign.

Listen closely and I think you’ll understand what she’s trying to say.

Aether fades off the screen.

Y-You!

Hmph. I thought you’d left.

You’ve been awfully quiet, then.

I’m an observer, Ink. A gentle breeze.

It was never my intention to change the course of this game.

Even now, whether you live or die is entirely up to you.

So who are you? Really?

I think that’s something you’re better off asking once you’ve made it out alive.

Please don’t mind me. I only wanted to offer my two cents in regards to Aether.

That’s a very you answer.

Hey, Aether...

Static.

Though Ink could see for miles in every direction, Aether was nowhere to be found.

Where could she have gone?! I only turned away for a second!

There are still many things we don’t know about this place.

Though... is that not someone over on the horizon?

Looking back at The Four Elements, Ink could spot a solitary figure backlit against the light of the hotel. But it wasn’t Aether.

It was Sean. His features were indistinguishable at such a distance, but there was no mistaking his arrogant gait.

The wind stops.

He was headed straight for Ink.

Damnit!

Looking for Aether will have to wait, it seems.

I think it’s about time I shut up for good. This is your moment, not mine.

Will we ever speak again?

That’s doubtful.

Which is a shame, because I feel like I got to know you quite well in the end.

I’ll take solace in that.

Farewell, Ink.

Ink turned to Sean once more. The man had significantly closed the gap in the time I’d been speaking to Ink.

All Ink could think to do was run. He turned away from Sean and broke into a full-on sprint.

Not daring to look back, Ink continued to run as fast as his legs could carry him. But he couldn’t outrun that sense of dread, nor the nausea that followed.

The screen flashes red.

Taking a moment to wipe the blood from his mouth, Ink made the mistake of turning around.

In spite of Ink’s incessant running, Sean had made up even more distance. How was that possible?

If this kept up, Sean would be on him in mere minutes. That left only one course of action.

I can’t outrun him. I’m not sure why, but I can’t.

I’ll need to stand up to him, then.

Ink contemplated what he should do with the precious few minutes he had before Sean reached him.

But what could he do in such a short time? He had no means of defending himself; all he had on him was his Gemini and—

Oh!

—and the letter Beth had given him.

The screen fades briefly to white.

If something happens to me, so be it, but this letter must make it out of here.

The screen goes white again.

I’ve escaped the hotel, technically. Is that enough?

It’ll have to do. Sorry, Beth. Looks like I’ll need your help one last time.

Ink tore open the seal and peered inside the envelope.

To Ink’s surprise, there was not one, but two separate letters inside.

The first was addressed to Liza. The second was addressed to...

That’s the one I’m reading, then.

I don’t know if anyone’s listening anymore, but...

Nolan, if you’re out there, pay attention.

Ink unfolded the letter and began to read aloud.

(Music: Wit’s End, 0.75 speed)

If you’re reading this, then I’ve passed on as a result of your game.

While I’ll never know whether my death was intentional or simply happenstance, I’m positive that you knew it was at least a possibility.

I can only hope that’s not the case.

There are countless things I want to say to you, but my time grows short. I’ll have to focus on what’s important.

I suggest that you do the same.

First of all, as you’ve likely guessed, I know who you really are.

I don’t know how you managed to convince me that you were dead all of these years, but I suppose that if one has enough money, such things become possible. The logistics no longer matter to me.

I’m not upset at you for buying a new name or a new life. I don’t blame you for wanting to start over after all that happened.

I suspect I had to believe she was dead for this game of yours to work, but you were a fool to think I wouldn’t recognize my own family.

You were correct in that I couldn’t identify her based on how she looks or acts. She’s changed a lot since she was young, and I’ve forgotten much in my old age.

But I will NEVER forget her laugh. When she laughs, the whole world lights up and our family is whole again, if just for a moment.

Not only were you involved with Exit Corners, but you had a large part in orchestrating it. You acted as Contact for both of us, after all. If you had really been trying to help us, you’d at least have told me that my granddaughter was with me.

If I had to guess, you’re now probably wondering why I didn’t speak up if I knew the truth.

To be honest with you, I’m having difficulty putting that into words myself.

If I had to pick a reason, it’s because I ultimately still trust you.

I know that somehow, this grand plan of yours is all for Liza’s sake. I can’t understand how or why, but I know you wouldn’t go to such extremes unless you thought it was for a good reason.

I knew that you would never do anything to hurt your daughter. And so I let the game take its course.

I couldn’t just sit idly and watch as you had Rae give up on life.

Do I really have to explain to my own son that killing is wrong? Nothing – no matter the reasons, no matter your ambition – is worth taking another person’s life.

I am posthumously absolving you of my own death. Not only do I forgive you for it, but I took this road knowing full well where it might lead.

One of my fellow captives has likely delivered this letter to you. Even if they’ve escaped the hotel, and even if Exit Corners is over, I’m sure you still have some measure of control over them.

But I still trust you to do the right thing. Do you understand?

I’m asking you to listen to your mother one last time.

And after you’ve let them go, take responsibility for what you’ve done. Help them recover. Look after them.

They’ll need your help – and they deserve it, too. They’re bright, determined, and compassionate. You’d like them if only you got to know them.

Know that I have always loved you, Nolan. Always.

Even when we didn’t see eye to eye. Even after you had kidnapped us. Even as you murdered me.

I loved you because I know what wonderful things you’re capable of. I’ve seen you be kind, caring, and responsible.

You have so much potential. My final request is for you to live up to it.

Let them go.

Your mother,

Ink continued to stare at the letter, not believing his eyes.

So then Nolan is—

The music stops.

Nothing that concerns you.

(Music: Give and Take, 0.75 speed)

Ink didn’t deign to answer. Not that it mattered; Sean was happy to keep rambling on.

I didn’t make you do anything.

Exit/Corners is over. You said it yourself. Why do you even care what I do at this point?

It’s not safe to leave the simulation while other people are still frolicking around in it, firing off brainwaves. Could lead to synaptic overload, apparently. Long-term damage.

So you need me to get out of here yourself.

Anyway, let me walk you back.

I’m not going anywhere with you.

Never. And I’m not your buddy, Sean. Not anymore.

We’ll see about that.

Option one is to come with me and leave CORNERS with the rest of us. Cooperate with me and you’ll wake up safe and sound in the real world.

Assuming you don’t kill me outright before I wake up.

Not the ideal outcome, I’ll admit, but at least your mind won’t be active anymore. That means an easy exit for the rest of us.

So it’s that easy, huh?

You’d kill me just like that, without so much as a second thought?

Sean simply laughed.

An 80-year-old shut-in. A sheltered, homeschooled little blind girl. A lone wolf with an irreparable social life.

And an unremarkable English student who cut all ties to his family.

Being here is a risk. A huge risk. There’s no guarantee any of you would have survived. Still no guarantee of that, actually. We’ve never done anything like this before.

But you know what? Nobody would miss you if you died. Any of you.

To put it simply: you’re worthless.

Ink steeled himself with a deep breath, hoping his expression didn’t betray the panic he felt inside.

He couldn’t afford to lose face; it would just give Sean more power over him.

So this is what you’re really like, huh? A sociopath? A murderer?

You’re doing this all for... what? Money?

I don’t know about you, but I’m more than happy to set myself up for the future. I want a good life.

Even if it means robbing someone else of theirs?

You’re pathetic.

Ink looked beyond Sean, back at the hotel. The screen of light was miniscule in the distance.

For a while, there, I thought there’d be some benevolent explanation behind everything. I really did.

So be it. I’d rather be naïve and hopeful than... whatever the gently caress you are.

I’d almost be impressed if I weren’t so—

The music stops.

...frustrated.

(Music: Wit’s End, 1.5 speed)

Time’s up, Ink.

Sean approached Ink with plodding steps. Terrified, Ink couldn’t help but back up himself.

His mind raced with the many ways Sean might try to murder him. Fortunately, he caught himself and cast those thoughts aside.

No, damnit! If I want to get out of here, I’ve got to focus.

He knows that I can’t outrun him, so he’s being deliberate. Careful. If I break into a run, he’ll be on me in an instant.

Instead, still backing up, Ink tried to match Sean’s pace.

Blessedly, that hadn’t prodded Sean to speed up. Not yet, at least. Ink was thankful; he needed as much time as he could get.

If there’s one thing I know about you, Sean, it’s that you love the sound of your own voice.

I’ll probably buy myself a few moments if I can get you talking...

I know how you did it.

Beth. I know how you killed her.

You asked Sent to trigger an earthquake when Aether was in the furthest room. Like I did back in your headquarters.

They’re not so bad if you know they’re coming. You used that opening to slip past Aether.

Crap. I expected him to challenge me on that.

What else have I got?

I’m not worthless, you know.

Being an introvert doesn’t make me worthless.

Getting carried away with stories doesn’t make me worthless.

Wanting to fall in love, wanting a partner, doesn’t make me worthless.

Not that you even properly cou—

The screen shakes.

You’re crossing a line, Sean. Christ, I thought you were better than this.

Sean sped up. Again.

Panic set in.

If I walk backwards any faster, I’m probably going to trip. Doesn’t matter that the ground is perfectly flat.

Then, an idea.

Hold on a second.

If this place really is made up of our thoughts and expectations...

Sean?

Ink took out his Gemini and held it out in front of him. He made sure Sean was looking at it.

Then he dropped it.

The two of them were transfixed on the device as it fell through the air, plummeting down to the floor.

Except there was no floor.

There had never been a floor.

Ink repeated the words to himself in his head. Then, aloud.

The Gemini continued to fall further and further, well beyond the bottom of Ink’s soles, until it was swallowed by darkness.

We’re about to fall.

The screen shakes and cuts to black. The music stops.

The floor gave way as the words left his lips.

(Music: Aetherling, 0.5 speed)

Ink surrendered to the air.

Behind him – below him, rather – he could hear Sean screaming.

Ink doubted Sean would be able to hear him. Not that it mattered; this was as much for him as it was for anyone who might be listening.

Call me naïve if you want. I am. I admit it.

Ink felt a calming chill envelop him as if he were buffeted by a strong breeze.

I think the time you’ve spent in CORNERS has distorted the way you think.

The Contestants... we...

CORNERS may run on negative space, but the real world does not. You can’t measure someone’s value by the hole they leave when they’re gone.

Let them be a lesson to you and me. If they could turn things around, then so can we.

There was nothing left to say.

Ink closed his eyes and relaxed, letting gravity take the wheel.

And so he fell.

And f—

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

'Cause I'm freeeeee.... Freefalling....

quote:

Holy hell, I forgot about that line. Jesus Christ, Sean.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 22, 2022

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Aether's trust level is also out of bounds, but it looks like the game was able to handle that just fine.

You know, I'm starting to suspect that Beth is not, in fact, calmly sitting outside the simulation sipping tea. What with the whole "Liza's Corner was the only explicitly non-lethla one", "Can't log out safely until all of us do" and "I'm going to murder you and shut down your brain functions, Ink, so that we can escape" stuff, I am starting to suspect she might actually be dead. In the same way that I am starting to suspect Sean is a completely irredemable rear end in a top hat.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

GG, Ink. :golfclap:

By the way, that binary says 'The rest is up to you.'

Thanks, Sent.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Cloacamazing! posted:

Aether's trust level is also out of bounds, but it looks like the game was able to handle that just fine.

You know, I'm starting to suspect that Beth is not, in fact, calmly sitting outside the simulation sipping tea. What with the whole "Liza's Corner was the only explicitly non-lethla one", "Can't log out safely until all of us do" and "I'm going to murder you and shut down your brain functions, Ink, so that we can escape" stuff, I am starting to suspect she might actually be dead. In the same way that I am starting to suspect Sean is a completely irredemable rear end in a top hat.

Ink already figured that out last update. He asked Sean why he had to swap places with Liza if taking the death pills wouldn't actually kill her. Sean didn't have a good explanation for that.

Although, a simulation which kills you in real life if you die in the simulation is what I would call a pretty hefty drawback to practical, real-world applications.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

:f5: :f5: :f5:

Totally expected Beth's son to not really be dead, but I didn't expect that connection.

girl dick energy posted:

Holy hell, I forgot about that line. Jesus Christ, Sean.

He really is the absolute worst.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

So, it's really clear that Sean doesn't know everything either, given that he still thinks it's a group of 4 random yahoos that won't be missed - your benefactor is probably not going to be pleased you called his daughter worthless! Where the heck is his confidence that he too won't be killed at the end of this coming from, arrogance?

That line is loving terrible too, agreed. Here's hoping Sean gets hoisted by his own petard, preferably fatally.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

:f5: :f5: :f5:

Totally expected Beth's son to not really be dead, but I didn't expect that connection.

Remember how Beth suddenly changed her mind? It was when Liza came back, and because of the gas, laughed.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

It strikes me as a Matrix kind of thing where your mind makes it real - even if your real body is physically fine, your brain *thinks* the death pills stopped your breathing so your real body actually does stop breathing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rith posted:

Well, if everything else wasn't sufficient enough evidence, I guess that's the confirmation.

Also, wow.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Well, if everything else wasn't sufficient enough evidence, I guess that's the confirmation.

Also, wow.

The smug expression just gives it that extra 'gently caress you Ink' superiority :discourse: Sean is, the worst.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ZCKaiser posted:

Remember how Beth suddenly changed her mind? It was when Liza came back, and because of the gas, laughed.
I love this loving game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I love the "Sean is just an idiot trying his best" to "Holy hell Sean's a sociopath" change.

You want to give him some leeway, Ink is his friend and he cares about him. Then after this you start wondering about what Sean was thinking every time he helped Ink with a panic attack.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, I was in the original "Sean is a ultimately a decent person who had the unfortunate affliction of being a bit of a prick in college, but he'll probably grow out of it" camp, but good god, does this really hammer home how absolutely terrible he is.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
29: Epilogue

(Music: Biorhythm)

Sure doesn’t feel like it, though. You can feel the cold seeping in from outside.

I know it’s not the same room as before, but it still stirs up bad memories. Especially considering you-know-who is mere feet away...

Upon reflection, I probably should have asked to wait elsewhere. Oh well. Might as well just stick it out at this point.

They said I was free to leave, and though I’m kind of dying to get out of here, I’d never forgive myself if I passed up this opportunity.

This might be my only chance to meet with him.

So now I’m stuck waiting for—

Pretty much. Not sure how long it’s supposed to take.

It’s good to see you, Liza. I was told you’d gone home.

Oh, it’d have been fine. Danger’s passed.

I, um... I do appreciate it, though.

Any updates on the arm?

Okay. Fair.

Anyway, you’re up, Ink.

Finally. Where’s his office, again?

Down the hall, then up the stairs on the far end. His office is on the ground floor.

Thanks.

Rae and Liza fade off the screen.

Yeah. She mentioned it in the letter she wrote before she died.

How’d you end up finding out?

My father came clean shortly after I woke up.

I’m sure she had her reasons for not telling you. She mentioned a few things in her letter, but I think there was more to it than that.

She left you a letter, too, you know.

My father mentioned that, too. Though since that, um, “instance” of CORNERS has been terminated, the contents of that other letter have apparently been lost forever.

Oh, no... I’m sorry, Liza.

I know she loved you more than anything.

You should see if you can find out more about her. Or about your family in general.

But, hey, shouldn’t you get going?

Yeah. I’ll meet you back here, okay?

’Kay.

The music stops, and the screen fades to black.

The trip is a short one. Though this apparently used to be part of the university, the building’s on the smaller side.

Most of the rooms here appear to be empty, though the odd office is stuffed with computer parts or medical equipment. Doesn’t seem like this place sees a lot of use.

I spot him through a doorway after climbing the stairs. He waves me in.

(Music: Aetherling, 0.75 speed)

It’s good to finally chat with you one-on-one, Nolan...

...or should I say ‘Earl’?

Fine. Nolan it is.

It’s still hard to believe that we’ve been at Bellbridge U this entire time.

Makes me wonder what else you’re hiding.

That’s why you’re here, though, isn’t it?

Smartass.

I have quite a lot to attend to today, but I’ve blocked out what I hope is enough time to answer your most pressing questions. I’ll answer everything as honestly as I can.

Good. Let’s get right into it, then.

Indeed.

An apology? Are you serious?

Your mother is dead. You think an apology is going to fix things?

Though I managed to secure the capital I sought, I can’t help but feel that this project was an abject failure.

So they gave you funding in the end? This, uh, “sponsor”?

Our sponsor purchased CORNERS outright. All of the tech, research, documentation: it now belongs entirely to them.

What are they intending to do with it?

I’m more than happy to wash my hands of CORNERS. It brought out the worst in me.

Yeah, no poo poo.

I don’t understand how you could let things get as bad as they did.

Sean had designed Exit/Corners with some contingencies in mind, but the Contestants had veered so far off course that I had to make some tough calls partway through to set things right again.

More than anything, I didn’t want to fail after having come so far. I couldn’t risk the sponsor walking away. I’d sacrificed too much.

And so you sacrificed your mother instead.

But you knew it was a possibility. Sean suggested as much.

I knowingly wagered all of your lives. And I’m deeply sorry for it.

How many of us were supposed to live according to your original plan?

Hey. You said you’d be honest with us.

I know.

...Rae.

Rae?!

But why?

That’s no reason to murder someone! Murder’s worse than arson, in case that wasn’t clear to you.

I’m not saying it’s right. But that was our rationale at the time.

So let me get this right: there was no situation where everyone would live? You intended to murder someone from the get-go?

That’s correct.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Getting away with a crime only emboldens you to commit more. You grow numb to it after a time.

I hope you never come to understand what that’s like.

Seems like you’ve thought about this a lot.

Do you think Sean and Tiana will feel the same way?

That remains to be seen.

I hate to ask, but those two are still in their... pods, or whatever, right? What’s going to happen to them?

I haven’t decided yet.

My number one priority was ensuring the safety of the Contestants, which means putting my colleagues on hold for the time being. They’re still sedated and not in any immediate danger.

They’ll be dealt with once the rest of you are safely at home.

By “dealt with”, you don’t mean—

No, I’m going to try and reason with them instead.

I believe that Tiana will leave quietly if asked. She can be bought off, if nothing else.

As for Sean... he’s a more difficult case. I haven’t quite decided how to approach him.

But know this: your safety is priority number one. You’ll never have to see him again.

Good.

The music stops.

That sort of reminds me: what was the point of our Gemini, anyway?

Like, why did you give them to us?

(Music: Battle of Wits, 0.75 speed)

This is the sort of thing that’d be difficult to surmise if you hadn’t seen the others’ messages for yourself.

For instance, Sean constantly brought up Aether, did he not?

Now that I think about it, yeah. He did seem pretty obsessed with her.

Exactly. He was trying to get you to obsess over her in turn.

I guess that makes sense. Seems a little convoluted, though. And risky.

You haven’t the faintest idea. I am not normally one to lean on gambits quite so hard.

I was wondering about that. There had to have been an easier way to get the money you needed than some over-the-top death game, right?

It seemed like there was a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong. And hey – they did.

Under normal circumstances, you’d be absolutely right. Our sponsor, however, is anything but normal.

Hold on. Are you saying something like this has happened before?

That’s where we met, all those years ago. It’s also why we chose The Four Elements as our virtual setting; the original hotel is where that first game took place.

Right here in Bellbridge?! That’s news to me!

You have got to tell me more.

Even if I could, we certainly don’t have enough time to go over everything.

I know I said I’d be honest with you, and I intend to keep that promise, but... that’s a story for another time, I think.

drat. Well, don’t be surprised if I come ask you about it one day.

In any case... our sponsor was the only person willing to invest in such flawed technology. The only one willing to give us the amount of money I thought CORNERS was worth.

And so I agreed to their outlandish terms.

You should have just walked away.

I’d already spent years on this project. In fact, nearly all of my life as Nolan Thatcher had been spent working on CORNERS in one way or another.

But a project like this... it sounds like way too much work for just three people to handle. Even if you are all geniuses.

Hah.

The moment I saw RN, though... I knew that both technologies combined had the potential to become something revolutionary. I snapped up the algorithm – and Tiana herself – without a second thought.

Of course, the scope ballooned out of control as a result, and the project took much longer than I’d imagined. I really should have known better.

It was too much work for two people. Even if I did I hire a few contractors for some of the intermediary tasks.

Two people? Not three?

It still sounds like you were way understaffed.

You aren’t wrong. I was too deep into development to turn back and too stubborn to ask for more help.

The project consumed me. It became my everything.

That sounds like hell. Why would you do that to yourself?

That’s not what I mean. What I meant was... why did you start this project in the first place? What’s in it for you?

Didn’t you already have all the money you could want? Why pursue some risky golden goose technology?

Ah. That.

You’ll think me naïve, but sure. I’ll tell you why I did it.

What?!

What about the rest of her family?

Perhaps that was a mercy; she wouldn’t have to bear the pain of losing them. Still...

I was so very upset. Heartbroken. But I thought I could fix things.

And then RN came around. I quickly discovered that if Tiana and I integrated our technologies correctly, we could do the impossible.

I believed that we could get the simulation to a point where Liza and I could enter together and she could meet Marianne as I remembered her.

A world that runs on memories and assumptions. For better or for worse.

Thank you for telling me, Nolan.

And... I hope you don’t mind me saying this, but I think you went about this all wrong.

I’m listening.

You say you wanted to let her meet her mother, and that’s fine, but...

...she had a grandmother who’d have been more than happy to support her. And relatives galore, or so I was told.

Most importantly, she had a father who loved her dearly, but likely spent far too long on his pet project.

She had all the family she needed.

Not everything’s a complicated puzzle, you know. Sometimes the best answer is the simplest one.

There was a time in my life where I’d have come to that conclusion myself.

Time doesn’t always change us for the better.

drat. I didn’t expect Nolan to be so... depressed.

The music stops.

Do you have any more questions?

Tons. Are you okay to keep going? I can always come back.

I’m fine for now. Please, continue.

(Music: All Is Dust, 0.75 speed)

This one’s a little weird, but what’s 379?

That number kept popping up over the course of the game. What’s its significance?

If I had to guess, I’m wondering if this is perhaps the Baader-Meinhof effect at work.

Do you, uh, expect me to know what that is?

In a world where cognition reigns supreme, I can only imagine how such a phenomenon might affect the world around you.

It’s possible the first time you saw the number, it left such an impression on you that the information suddenly kept popping up everywhere.

But that’s just one theory. It could be any number of things. CORNERS is still not a wholly understood technology, even by me.

I see.

So I read your book. Err, skimmed it, rather.

Not while in CORNERS, no – but you have a copy down in that room with all the pods. I was waiting there for a while, you know.

Ah. So, what’d you think?

It’s far beyond me. I couldn’t understand half of it. But one chapter in particular got me thinking...

In “Shared Interfaces”, you theorize that it’s possible to engineer a way to feed the same brainwaves to two different minds so that it feels like they’re experiencing roughly the same thing.

Is that what was going on with your sponsor?

I’m impressed you were able to piece that together.

So the voice in my head was...

Yes. It was our sponsor.

So they felt everything that I did? Even pain and stuff?

However, because of the more transient connection, they were able to come and go as they pleased. They weren’t trapped in the simulation or anything of the sort. In fact, they’d sometimes hop off to ask me a few questions as the game progressed.

Oh. So you weren’t watching me in the same way, then?

No. I was merely watching a screen with low-resolution video and audio. Sent was also reporting in periodically.

Okay, sure. Still... why was the sponsor allowed to speak to me? What possible reason could there have been for that?

By giving the sponsor some small measure of influence over you, we helped convince our guest that this game was happening in real-time to real people. No script, no actors.

Their request left me wary, so I tried to set it up in such a way that you’d only hear them on a subconscious level.

Ah. Well, that whole thing messed me up pretty bad, so I hope it was worth it.

I apologize. I should have tried to find another way to satisfy our guest, but I was tight on time.

We had an aggressive deadline to meet. Even if it was self-imposed...

Self-imposed?! That’s practically the same thing as having no deadline at all!

The reality is that we couldn’t spend forever on it.

It was never going to be perfect; it just needed to work. The hope was that we could get some more funding and expand its development.

CORNERS really could not have come about in any other way. It was Exit/Corners or nothing at all.

You know, I think “nothing at all” might have been just fine.

No need to remind me.

The music stops.

What other questions do you have?

So, um...

(Music: Far and Away, 0.75 speed)

I’m a little afraid to ask, but what happened to Aether?

Her source code is still intact, but that instance of her has been erased from the system’s memory.

Then again, so long as she still exists in your memory, it may not be impossible to recover her in some fashion.

Th-That’s not why I was asking.

I was mostly just curious. And I know it’s a little silly, but I wanted to make sure that she wasn’t, you know, suffering or anything.

I see. Well, it’s a good thing you don’t want to meet her, because I no longer have access to CORNERS.

Oh. You’ve already given it to the sponsor?

Yes – at least the most important bits. The rest, including the documentation and physical equipment to go along with it, are to be delivered within the next few weeks. I’ll be very busy.

And what about after all that?

What will you do when this is all over?

Well, first I was going to return the money I stole from the University. With interest. I’ve been paid back many times over thanks to our sponsor.

What?! For real?

I won’t be telling them about CORNERS – that’d be hard to prove, anyway – but I’ll admit to forging an identity, embezzling funds, and murdering my mother.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but... I don’t think you should.

That’s exactly it, though: you have a responsibility to make up for the harm that you’ve done. And I don’t think you could do a very good job of that from prison.

You’re clearly capable of achieving amazing things if you put your mind to it. You’ve got the brains and you’ve got the resources. Put them to good use.

That’s what your mother was trying to tell you. Not to throw yourself in a hole, but to lift others out of theirs.

Frankly, jail’s the easy way out. That’s practically giving up.

Hm. How pithy.

I’ll need to give this a bit more thought, then.

Good.

Man, every time he closes his eyes I worry that he’s about to topple over.

The music stops.

Hey? Nolan? Are you okay?

Sorry. I’m tired is all.

Maybe we should stop here for now. You look like you need some rest.

Before you leave, though, I’d like to end things on a positive note.

How so?

I want to ensure you understand that I’m committed to your safety and well-being.

Firstly, while I may not have been able to answer all of your questions in this short period of time, I don’t want to leave you waiting for more answers.

As such, I’d like you to take this.

He’s handing me something from off of his desk. Wait, is that a thumb drive?

I’m hoping whatever additional answers you seek can be found within.

Thanks. I’ll have a look.

Wait, what?!

I figured the least I could do was to help you finish your English degree.

...Huh. Go figure.

Is something the matter?

I know I shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth, but I was actually thinking about switching programs.

English is fine and all, and I’ll always love my books, but I never truly felt like I was born to be a writer or a teacher, you know?

Yeah. I’m thinking of becoming a detective.

Hmph. Go figure.

That’ll be no problem at all. I can pull some strings for you.

I’d appreciate it.

Oh, and Nolan?

Get some sleep.

Only after stepping back into the hallway do I realize how bright Nolan’s office was. It’s only been a few days, but I guess my body was craving sunlight.

As much as I want to head outside right away, I’ve got one more stop to make.

I head back to the room with the pods.

Hello?

(Music: Peace of Mind)

You could’ve waited somewhere else, you know. It’s kinda cold in here.

Fair enough. You ready to get going?

No, nothing like that. He just seems tired. Tired and repentant.

I don’t think he has the energy for that.

He did. Will you be okay if he goes through with it?

Being on my own might do me some good, actually. I’ve been reliant on my father for far too long.

But if I’m being honest, it does scare me a little.

I like to think of myself as an adult, but I don’t know if I’m ready to handle being on my own just yet. Money’s no substitute for parents.

You’ll be alright. If I could do it, you can do it.

Besides, you won’t be alone. You’ll have me.

Now I’m not going to pretend like I’m an expert at adulting or anything. But know that I’ve got your back if things get tough.

And, hey, if you ever need some puzzles solved...

That’s good advice if I’ve ever heard it. Ready to leave?

Totally. Let’s move.

The screen fades to black, and the music stops.

I lead Liza upstairs and down the hallway.

(Music: Wit’s End)

Well, I was getting pretty hungry, actually. I could really go for some—

I’ll be switching programs, I think. Aside from that, I don’t know. I think I’m just going to take things one day at a time.

Or you could live.

Just... live, you know?

You just escaped a twisted death game. I think you can get away with simply enjoying life for a little while.

Take some time to unwind. You don’t need to plan out the rest of your life right this moment.

Almost?! Oh, come on! I was saving that line and everything!

Oh, forget it. Want to grab some sushi or something?

Great! ’Cause I’m broke as all hell...

The screen fades to white.

And, with that, we’ve finished Exit/Corners.

I’m going to take a week or so off, then come back to show off a couple of ending variants. There’s no single ‘true’ ending, though, and the story will always play out in broadly the same way, so you’ve now had the complete Exit/Corners experience; this isn’t an Uchikoshi ‘you have to see every possible outcome to get the full picture’ affair.

Thank you for coming on this ride with me. If you’ve enjoyed this, I’m delighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:golfclap:

...also, I can't believe Nolan's sponsor was Junko Enoshima this whole time :v: