Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The easiest answer would be to read the months as numbers, so Feb 17 would be 217. The obvious problem is that this makes it impossible to equalize the numbers. So maybe it's "2 + 17"? But that would give too many possible answers. Mar 17 = Jan 19 for example, replacing either option with Feb 18 would still be correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Well...

The obvious answer would be to sort the numbers from 1-9 left to right, top to bottom, so I would definitely try that. It seems too obvious to be the correct answer, but maybe that's what Sent is going for? (reverse psychology, so Aether is up next?)
With the whole "Sent is an AI" thing, the correct order might also be like on a keyboard, so left to right, top to bottom. That'd fit with "ascending", since it goes bottom to top.
Looking at the setup, my third suggestion would be this:
That arranges the numbers like a staircase you can "walk" up.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Don't answer if this is a spoiler, but we were given the choice to do either Ray's or Beth's corner first, right? So even if Beth had chosen to die at her corner, she could have been around for Ray's corner if Ink had chosen that door.

With everything else that's been going on, I have wondered if the red door would have led to Beth's corner as well if Ink had chosen this first, but it doesn't seem to line up with Sent's hint.

quote:

If you’re the type of person that treasures the past, then you should proceed through the Green door. However, if you are the type of person that relishes the present, then you should proceed through the Red door.

Past for Beth, present for Ray, matches up a lot better than the other way around. Beth pretty much lives in the past, the red door description doesn't match here at all.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Flip it around so it's an up arrow?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Poor Liza. The message most likely tells her that she will be blind again after the game ends. She told something along those lines to her father and... yeah. Voting to drag Liza's dad here and sacrifice him.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Ah, I was wondering how long it would take them to realize it wasn't Sent. So far, Sent has exclusively been trying to get people to commit suicide in a way that is somehow related to their backstory. Whatever they're going for here, revenge, punishment, creation of a stable time loop that allows Sent to be born, it involves pushing people's buttons just to the breaking point. It doesn't involve hitting someone with a blunt object.

Going back to the update where they found the corpse, here's what we know:

Ink and Liza were busy with the puzzle the entire time. The earthquake took place around Beth's murder, where Liza is clearly accounted for, so she can't be the killer.

Rae took a break because Beth told him to. Aether and Beth split up to search for the puzzle. Six or seven minutes passed, during which Beth got killed. Aether found the corpse after that, screamed and brought Rae to the scene.

Sean and Tiana were in the black wing at the puzzle, until Aether and Rae picked them up, looking for Ink and Liza.

Aether is the obvious suspect here. She knew where Beth was, she was nearby and alone.

Ray was also alone, but with only one arm (and probably not his dominant one, since his right arm was the one he used to type) and weakened from blood loss, it seems highly unlikely that he would be able to lift this painting and bring it down on Beth with enough force to kill her.

Sean and Tiana are covering for each other. Sean later claims they were in the puzzle room for twenty minutes. It was the smoke room though, so I could see either of them dipping out for a few minutes. Of course neither of them would know where to find Beth.

With the current information, Aether is the only person with the means to kill Beth. While she doesn't have a motive to do so, noone else does. I expect there will be more to the murder mystery though.

Odds on Tiana accusing Aether within the next five minutes?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Liza has a point there, the earthquake would have made for a good distraction. We already know Aether fell down when it happened. Sent claimed that he detonated the charge because Ink almost told Liza about him messaging her, but that's kind of a flimsy excuse. There is a chance that something else happened that caused this.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
5 contestants could also mean only the original five, but I doubt Tiana would give herself away that easily. Also, it turns out that Aether is from the future, which is why she knows things about the present.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Well, at least Aether's trust level is literally through the roof?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Sent is just repeating the puzzles now, right?

NKKJ ZNK VGRK JUUX
If we go with the original ideas of "most common letter could be e" and "three letter word that ends with e is the" again, we get

HEE* THE ***E ****

The only word I can think of that start with hee is heed, so:

HEED THE ***E D***

Two identical letters after a D looks like Door to me:

HEED THE ***E DOOR

And the only color that matches is blue.

HEED THE BLUE DOOR

Is Sent trying to... help them?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Beth being in the game makes even less sense than before now. She already was the odd one out, in that the others all had some kind of connection and she didn't. Now we find out that the contestants were deliberately chosen because the ones behind the scenes knew everything about them: Tiana for Ray, Liza's father for Liza, Sean for Ink and Aether as an AI. But Beth? I think she would have mentioned it if she recognized Sean or Tiana, given the amount of knowledge they would have had about her.

The most obvious answer would be if the mysterious sponsor knew Beth. One of her son's relatives who blames her for his death. They might have even used the money she buried in the garden. That would also mean that the entire setup was mostly to punish Beth, with the other four just being there for the software demo.

Comedy answer: Beth is the AI. Ink clearly loves her.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Aether's trust level is also out of bounds, but it looks like the game was able to handle that just fine.

You know, I'm starting to suspect that Beth is not, in fact, calmly sitting outside the simulation sipping tea. What with the whole "Liza's Corner was the only explicitly non-lethla one", "Can't log out safely until all of us do" and "I'm going to murder you and shut down your brain functions, Ink, so that we can escape" stuff, I am starting to suspect she might actually be dead. In the same way that I am starting to suspect Sean is a completely irredemable rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
At least now we know that Sent told the truth: They really do love Ink.