Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

roomtone posted:

turns out the job requirements were a lot lower in reality. you don't need to be good.

As DarkSydePhil proved, you don't even need to be decent at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lets stop for a moment and assume that streamers bust their humps day in and day out in an intellectually challenging job.

By that logic they are still spending 8-12 hours a day gaming or interacting with other gamers and working out how to better appeal to gamers.

My point is its gamers all the way down, the cohort is generally known for being:

1.Straight up hostile to women, and only 3 out of the top 100 streamers on twitch identify as female.
2. Inside, alot.
3. Overreactive
4. Weirdly libertarian

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, the personality doesn't have to appeal to you, specifically. A lot of the overreacting is faked because that poo poo sells hotcakes although I don't understand who the hell actually wants that.

stupid children -_-

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Poohs Packin posted:

Lets stop for a moment and assume that streamers bust their humps day in and day out in an intellectually challenging job.

By that logic they are still spending 8-12 hours a day gaming or interacting with other gamers and working out how to better appeal to gamers.

My point is its gamers all the way down, the cohort is generally known for being:

1.Straight up hostile to women, and only 3 out of the top 100 streamers on twitch identify as female.
2. Inside, alot.
3. Overreactive
4. Weirdly libertarian

lol show me where on the doll the gamer hurt you

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think the streamers probably work harder than most people think but also don't work hard enough to justify being millionaires but also the same thing can be said for all millionaires, so that's just life I guess

Conversely I don't have to pretend that some millionaires are "better" and don't deserve the guillotine just because they made their money playing video games (but realistically, mostly preying on children and the video games are coincidental)

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I watch this one guy on twitch, he just plays sick disco and funk tunes. He's Japanese so i can't understand anything he says, and when i comment with a thumbs up or whatever he's like "SOAPY BAHMSURAPU THANK YOOOU", i like him a lot

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I watch this one guy on twitch, he just plays sick disco and funk tunes. He's Japanese so i can't understand anything he says, and when i comment with a thumbs up or whatever he's like "SOAPY BAHMSURAPU THANK YOOOU", i like him a lot

I'm sorry to inform you, but realistically, mostly preying on children and the disco'n'funk tunes are coincidental

Or something, this thread is silly.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Lol DSP has used "I'm going broke" to raise money for years and people believed him

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Lol DSP has used "I'm going broke" to raise money for years and people believed him

I don't think we of all people are in a position to make fun of other communities for this

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Have any of the streamers commented on what happened and how having their earnings displayed impacts them?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

OxMan posted:

OK dude they don't wow, I'm glad you're in the community and know this, I'm sure you're in a ton of content creator discords and small streamer boost groups right? Nah people that stream full time that aren't that top percent of earners function exactly like that.

dont act like even middling streamers dont have an editor. they pay peanuts to edit their poo poo for them.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Have any of the streamers commented on what happened and how having their earnings displayed impacts them?

awhile ago a big streamer showed how much he made and was saying alot of streamers with similar views make a similar amount and to not buy into the whole they are starving artists because they live in their moms basement and drink generic oj. and twitch got mad af at him. its apprently against the rules to share how much you make so they can negotiate as low of a price as possible when you get partnered

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kas posted:

lol show me where on the doll the gamer hurt you

Six gamers kicked me repeatedly on the tip of my penis while individually shouting the lettets to the n-word so there was plausible deniability.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Going to need the twitch name of this dude

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
It would be fun to laugh about how a major website got hacked. Course we end up with whatever the gently caress this is.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
sips_ is a former goon? I love that guy

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Yvershek posted:

It would be fun to laugh about how a major website got hacked. Course we end up with whatever the gently caress this is.

snergle posted:

awhile ago a big streamer showed how much he made and was saying alot of streamers with similar views make a similar amount and to not buy into the whole they are starving artists because they live in their moms basement and drink generic oj. and twitch got mad af at him. its apprently against the rules to share how much you make so they can negotiate as low of a price as possible when you get partnered

yeah, some dork at twitch screwed the pooch hugely and we end up discussing ethics in game streaming

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Can we just have a streamergate already and kick all the g*mers out?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Yvershek posted:

yeah maybe shut up about ethics in game streaming or whatever the gently caress. who cares

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lmao twitch got pwned. Streamers gonna have to go back to screaming at mom for more totinos.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Fight amongst yourselves workers! Yes that person is making too much for doing the wrong kind of work. Only the owners should have the monies.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Poohs Packin posted:

2. Inside, alot.
3. Overreactive
4. Weirdly libertarian

Yeah, I jumped over to see how Dr. Disrespect was doing having been resigned to YouTube Live gutters, and he's actually got more viewers than most top Twitch streamers with people rolling up with $100 donations non-stop. I'm trying to figure out if he's better off now, than before. Financially, probably.

He set chat allowed for non-subscribers and it was immediately racist white power neo-nazi poo poo everywhere. gently caress Biden, Go Trump. It went right back to sub-mode only chat.

Depressing.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Duck and Cover posted:

Fight amongst yourselves workers! Yes that person is making too much for doing the wrong kind of work. Only the owners should have the monies.

Look at that, even "disarm the poors" shitlibs get it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The revolutionary act of streamer appreciation lmao

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Haha gamers got millions out of our brutal wage slave system and people are big mad.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

But but but they don't have a "real" job!

Same complaint chuds use against onlyfans people and similar. The world is a lovely unfair place that grinds the poor into perpetual servitude and these knobs are angry a few people managed to bungle their way out of their expectes fate.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
How likely is it that we learn how the hackers still had access days after the data dump?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Poohs Packin posted:

How are you getting that number? Critical role is the #1 highest paid stream, and three of the VAs are women.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Critical role isn't like one guy sitting in his mom's basement playing video games, it's community theatre.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

The revolutionary act of streamer appreciation lmao

Lmao, lol.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Yvershek posted:

How likely is it that we learn how the hackers still had access days after the data dump?

there's already good reason to suspect that

a couple days after the data dump, some background images were replaced with pictures of Bezos making a funny face

https://twitter.com/jparaLove/status/1446465709123440659

they were all changed back after a few hours, but Twitch has yet to comment

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
It's been pretty enlightening seeing folks rush in to disparage something they apparently know nothing about. "They all say the n-word and hate women!" gently caress off with the stereotyping. It's lazy and shows your ignorance.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Yvershek posted:

I would be surprised if they didn't get access to all of Amazon and AWS, honestly. You cannot tell me they didn't have higher ups from Amazon in the Twitch system.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Hector Delgado posted:

It's been pretty enlightening seeing folks rush in to disparage something they apparently know nothing about. "They all say the n-word and hate women!" gently caress off with the stereotyping. It's lazy and shows your ignorance.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Speedrunner Trihex did, including his own income. I didn't watch a great deal of it though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Nam Taf posted:

Speedrunner Trihex did, including his own income. I didn't watch a great deal of it though.

I've seen two others say that anyone who owned a calculator could have figured it out and that it was dumb people were making a deal over it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Poohs Packin posted:

*accidentally puts on nazi uniform and then makes apology youtube video wearing a baggy grey hoodie and high ponytail sitting on bedroom floor*

On one hand, maybe I shouldn't be so quick as to tar all streamers as neo-nazi paedophilic creeps who use their audience to berate and harass the vulnerable while being ridiculously toxic in their gameplay, furthering behaviour that should be discouraged,

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't be proven right all the time

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Philthy posted:

I've seen two others say that anyone who owned a calculator could have figured it out and that it was dumb people were making a deal over it.

You're probably right, to be honest. The little bit I did listen to was him talking more about the process of going from essentially never having viewers to attracting and retaining a crowd and how speedrunning set him up for that.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
*tips the millionaire streamer my poverty wages* :tipshat:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

kas posted:

But but but they don't have a "real" job!

Same complaint chuds use against onlyfans people and similar. The world is a lovely unfair place that grinds the poor into perpetual servitude and these knobs are angry a few people managed to bungle their way out of their expectes fate.

sorry about your stream dude, maybe it's time you turned off the computer and did something worthwhile like develop a tradeskill or call your parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

OxMan posted:

Look at that, even "disarm the poors" shitlibs get it.

I could be convinced that disarming poors is good if the monetary gain trumps the loss of efficiency caused by people not having arms. Will this make my number go up?