Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

sorry about your stream dude, maybe it's time you turned off the computer and did something worthwhile like develop a tradeskill or call your parents

Nothing anyone does is worthwhile I figured you of all people would have figured that out by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Duck and Cover posted:

I could be convinced that disarming poors is good if the monetary gain trumps the loss of efficiency caused by people not having arms. Will this make my number go up?

Oh you're for arming the poors now? drat D&C you must have radicalized more since the last time I noticed you post in GBS, during the school shooting pre covid days you were all for disarmament. Number's gone up already bud.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Songbearer posted:

On one hand, maybe I shouldn't be so quick as to tar all streamers as neo-nazi paedophilic creeps who use their audience to berate and harass the vulnerable while being ridiculously toxic in their gameplay, furthering behaviour that should be discouraged,

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't be proven right all the time

You're right, I just imagined all of the times I saw streamers tell their mods not to ban a dude so the streamer could talk poo poo to them for making racist, sexist, or homophobic remarks and then personally ban them. It's also definitely not a thing that a lot of PoC and women do for a living. Just wall to wall neo-nazis. Dipshit.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

OxMan posted:

Oh you're for arming the poors now? drat D&C you must have radicalized more since the last time I noticed you post in GBS, during the school shooting pre covid days you were all for disarmament. Number's gone up already bud.

Ohhhhhh you're talking about guns? No no no I'm talking about chopping peoples arms off. If they can't type/use a computer as efficiently that could outweigh selling them cool anime cyborg arms.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've watched maybe a half dozen streams and my experience was that the chat was just a rolling block of text I couldn't possibly follow, let alone contribute meaningfully to. Is that problem solved somehow? It just seems weird the chat of a live stream could foster any sort of community, especially if there are hundreds or thousands of people chatting at the same time.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's it I'm quitting my lucrative job at the bj factory to become a twitcher. My backup plan is a condom model

¿Por que no los tres?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Poohs Packin posted:

Lets stop for a moment and assume that streamers bust their humps day in and day out in an intellectually challenging job.

By that logic they are still spending 8-12 hours a day gaming or interacting with other gamers and working out how to better appeal to gamers.

My point is its gamers all the way down, the cohort is generally known for being:

1.Straight up hostile to women, and only 3 out of the top 100 streamers on twitch identify as female.
2. Inside, alot.
3. Overreactive
4. Weirdly libertarian

Self-described gamers tend to be less white, lower-income than people who play games but deny the label:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/12/survey-gamers-are-poorer-more-male-less-white-than-game-players/

But sure, tell us how you really feel about those uppity "gamers"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The silent majority.

Like, for real I guess.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
When racial slurs are described affectionately as Gamer Words and people know what you mean by it, it is rather damning of the hobby

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Heated Chess Moment

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
I deal with idiots in a more personal hobby all the time, gaming encompasses anyone from 5-95 so honestly mods are underpaid.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Songbearer posted:

When racial slurs are described affectionately as Gamer Words and people know what you mean by it, it is rather damning of the hobby

Words that you'll conveniently get autobanned for using on Twitch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Poohs Packin posted:

Lets stop for a moment and assume that streamers bust their humps day in and day out in an intellectually challenging job.

By that logic they are still spending 8-12 hours a day gaming or interacting with other gamers and working out how to better appeal to gamers.

My point is its gamers all the way down, the cohort is generally known for being:

1.Straight up hostile to women, and only 3 out of the top 100 streamers on twitch identify as female.
2. Inside, alot.
3. Overreactive
4. Weirdly libertarian

You've just described most lovely jobs. Nice.

Also lmao at "intellectually challenging jobs," like who gives a single solitary gently caress about that. Do you meltdown over sports as well?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The gamers are restless. People out here citing scholarly articles to prove twitch streamers are true proles and %100 have super hard jobs.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've watched maybe a half dozen streams and my experience was that the chat was just a rolling block of text I couldn't possibly follow, let alone contribute meaningfully to. Is that problem solved somehow? It just seems weird the chat of a live stream could foster any sort of community, especially if there are hundreds or thousands of people chatting at the same time.

It's not for fostering a community. The chat exists so children can spam stuff at eachother and feel like they belong to a group and post "lol" en masse when the streamer does something goofy. A lot of kids just desperately want to feel like they're part of something. They have the most time to spend on Twitch and they are the target audience for the streamers. Some streamers have even been described as substitute parents for these kids which is worrying

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

sigher posted:

like who gives a single solitary gently caress about that.

Nobody, actually its just kinda fun trolling gamers by saying wild out of pocket poo poo like "baseball is harder than streaming" until they start citing demographic information and Twitch by-laws.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Poohs Packin posted:

Nobody, actually its just kinda fun trolling gamers by saying wild out of pocket poo poo like "baseball is harder than streaming" until they start citing demographic information and Twitch by-laws.

Ah, the classic "I was only pretending to be a moron" deflect

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
It's about time for gamers to rise up, imo

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kas posted:

Ah, the classic "I was only pretending to be a moron" deflect

Oh I still think having deep regard for streamers is hilarious. Its just not a very closely held opinion. I never even thought about Twitch until this thread. Good luck with your stream though.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Poohs Packin posted:

Oh I still think having deep regard for streamers is hilarious. Its just not a very closely held opinion. I never even thought about Twitch until this thread.

So this was just an attention seeking exercise of yours?

Ah, that's cute :allears:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Link your streams

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

kas posted:

Nothing anyone does is worthwhile I figured you of all people would have figured that out by now

i called my mom and it made her happy. seems pretty worthwhile to me

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i called my mom and it made her happy. seems pretty worthwhile to me

who doesn't call your mom

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
my dad :(

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

where is Big Beef City in this time of need

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Philthy posted:

Yeah, I jumped over to see how Dr. Disrespect was doing having been resigned to YouTube Live gutters, and he's actually got more viewers than most top Twitch streamers with people rolling up with $100 donations non-stop. I'm trying to figure out if he's better off now, than before. Financially, probably.

He claims he makes 1/4 of what he did on Twitch.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Is that after he subtracts his designer cookie expenses?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Poohs Packin posted:

Sitting down and playing Rocket League doesn't require alot of creative effort. I played Skyrim this afternoon. I could have easily set up a go-pro and whoops im a streamer.
Trolling aside, there's a point to be seen here: You could do this, and you would obviously make zero money. To make a non-zero amount of money, you'd have to do something, in pursuit of making money, i.e. work. Is it the hardest work in the world? Where does it rank on the American internet leftist Labor Purity scale? I don't really care. Clearly there's work to do because it's apparent that if you just did stream your random Friday gaming you would not make any money.

If I wanted to be a professional artist I could draw a stick figure and post it online. Oh boy, now I'm an artist, that took no work at all. Whoops, I also made zero money and nobody looked at my art.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XIheCyXtvc

This guy is super duper popular and is eating himself to death and is apparently worth 3 million dollars. I guess people are looking at stuff like this and going "I don't get it and never will". For good reason tbh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Duck and Cover posted:

Fight amongst yourselves workers! Yes that person is making too much for doing the wrong kind of work. Only the owners should have the monies.

How do you do, fellow workers?

Speaking of, support Tucker Carlson, a worker.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

This guy is super duper popular and is eating himself to death and is apparently worth 3 million dollars. I guess people are looking at stuff like this and going "I don't get it and never will". For good reason tbh

This guy's personality is actually somehow worse than his mukbang weirdness.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's a bit reductionist to reduce all of streaming down to a weird mentally ill dude with some feeder fetish. Yeah there are more freakshow type things like him but there are also hundreds of normal good streamers and you can even watch them for free without subscribing or donating or w/e.

Just feels like an absolute "drat kids get off my lawn" move to dismiss it all because of one dude like that. I'm not some young hip kid either, I'm in my mid 30s so I do kind of get the initial impulse to write it all off. But I also don't want to miss out on some good entertainment just because I'm gutted people didn't give me money for playing my amiga in the early 90's.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
i thought that mukbanger was some 4chan word that meant a fat fetishist

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

what's so hard to understand about mukbang? it's when faeces are smashed together in a tight space as more and more food is crammed into the body until the colon explodes and poo poo goes flying everywhere. muk bang.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

A Strange Aeon posted:

Be an auteur and watch only unpopular streamers.

Chats from tens of people up to low hundreds have people chatting.
Any higher than that and there's only mob.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

adhuin posted:

Be an auteur and watch only unpopular streamers.

Chats from tens of people up to low hundreds have people chatting.
Any higher than that and there's only mob.
That's the sweet spot of watching streamers.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

How do you do, fellow workers?

Speaking of, support Tucker Carlson, a worker.

I don't think it's fair to compare the average twitch celebrity with an active Nazi propagandist.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ventral EggSac posted:

where is Big Beef City in this time of need

:hmmyes:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Collapsing Farts posted:

But look at all of the hard work he's putting into it.

I think the people trolling about the streamers is the HUGE pushback from the streamer lovers saying that it takes so much work and is a full time job. It's that 99% of streamers don't do that. Only the really successful ones do. Someone said in this very thread that like 0.1% make more than $11,000. So all of those other streamers must not be working hard enough and they should be 1%ers. Most of the streams I've seen (I watch twitch when going to bed sometimes) are just some uncharismatic person playing a video game for fun and who knows if they have any hopes of stardom. The vast... VAST majority of the gamer streamers are just people wanting to play games and get some attention. I don't find anything wrong with that. They're entertaining me. But putting them on some high pedestal is just bonkers.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

But look at all of the hard work he's putting into it.

I think the people trolling about the streamers is the HUGE pushback from the streamer lovers saying that it takes so much work and is a full time job. It's that 99% of streamers don't do that. Only the really successful ones do. Someone said in this very thread that like 0.1% make more than $11,000. So all of those other streamers must not be working hard enough and they should be 1%ers. Most of the streams I've seen (I watch twitch when going to bed sometimes) are just some uncharismatic person playing a video game for fun and who knows if they have any hopes of stardom. The vast... VAST majority of the gamer streamers are just people wanting to play games and get some attention. I don't find anything wrong with that. They're entertaining me. But putting them on some high pedestal is just bonkers.

The entire conversation has basically been about those top 0.1% streamers though. Like yeah, no kidding most people are just there on twitch to goof off and play some video games, but the whole thread, and resulting conversation was about the literal millionaire streamers who had their finances leaked with the data breach. By your own admission, the people that are being talked about do have to put some effort into doing that (not that it even really matters because as seen in every field there is little correlation between financial success and ability or effort put in at the upper echelons.)

Like yeah, it's the low hanging fruit to troll about nazis and lazy people and whatnot, I get it, but also, there is no pushback here. The thread seems to be in agreement with you that yes, the people we are actually talking about do have to treat it like a job, it is a very silly occupation (but who cares), and nobody is exactly glorifying it here, just sort of trying to explain how things work behind the scenes for some of those top earners, and taking issue with calling a community that has, overall better representation for POC and gay/bi/trans folks than most a bunch of pedophiles and nazis. (Admittedly a lost cause given the quality of discourse here.)

I know this'll just get a 'lol' response or similar but hey, gently caress it. It's a dumb thread anyways.