Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Just a small appreciation post for Pokemon Leaf Green. I started playing this again recently and was surprised at how good it looks. Everything is so snappy.. the sounds, animations, sprites, everything. Even leaving battle animations on, it's faster than the previous 25 pokemon games with them turned off.

Screenshots don't really do it justice, at least ones I've seen. Best I can do is tell you to click around this video a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM1FKnIgwas

Even this doesn't quite look right to me, but it still looks good here. Not sure if I'll finish my playthruough but I had to make a thread about this. Wonderful water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the gba makes of red&blue own, ive played them so many times lol. emerald uses the same art and UI and stuff, and is another S tier poke. GBA pokemons ftw

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i have fire red im pretty sure. i should play it on muh sp some time

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It's so good, obsessively playing Blue Version on the original Game Boy is one of the things I credit with making me a lifelong gamer and the GBA remakes perfectly captured all the charm of the originals

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GBA sprite design ftw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mycophobia posted:

i have fire red im pretty sure. i should play it on muh sp some time

same except on my DS-turned-pseudoGBA by merit of one of the screens being nonfunctional. i mentioned this before but Fire Red is probably still one of my most played games of all time, it's just so drat good

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

it really is a beautiful game

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Agreed, OP.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I've been wanting to do a pokemon nuzlocke run for a while, maybe I should pick up leaf green and give it a go.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
FireRed/LeafGreen and SoulSilver/HeartGold are some of the best remakes ever made... OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire was an immense disappointment, all things considered

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

FireRed/LeafGreen and SoulSilver/HeartGold are some of the best remakes ever made... OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire was an immense disappointment, all things considered

Never played the G/S remakes, but, remember when remakes were at max 30 dollars.. and had actual effort put into them??? We didn't know how good we had it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

timeless looking game.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

LeafGreen is incredible, it's the first game I fired up after putting a backlit screen in my GBA to see the difference. I never played the G/S remakes and I really should. Cursing myself for not buying it at the time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
This was the one Pokémon game that came out at the right time where I had a bunch of friends playing and got to trade and battle and stuff. Used to bring our GBAs and link cables on the bus during field trips

Lmao Tzu
Sep 11, 2014

The 3D pokemon models are fail compared

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

GBA sprite design ftw

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Never played the G/S remakes, but, remember when remakes were at max 30 dollars.. and had actual effort put into them??? We didn't know how good we had it

You're missing out, HG/SS was the peak IMO.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Yup.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I should play the DS Gen 2 remakes sometime

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I should play the DS Gen 2 remakes sometime

I’ve missed a bunch of generations but out of what I’ve played HeartGold is easily my favorite of the series, it’s so good.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
gba was a cool era for sprite art. post-snes, it was nearly a luxury

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
ive never found anyone playing it using the wireless adapter ITS BULLSHIT

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

GBA sprite design ftw

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

pokemon unite got me actually wanting to play a real pokemon game... might dip into one soon...

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

gba might still be my favorite portable system, the novelty of basically having an snes you could carry around anywhere was overwhelming. And the SP is slick as hell

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

i didn't even know there was a remake for gold/silver but I've said before silver is one of my favorite games ever and I probably played it for 2 years straight as a kid. So I guess I'm playing soul silver eventually. Very fond memories of actually getting Articuno and then him only being like my 3rd strongest regular roster member lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Sub-Actuality posted:

gba might still be my favorite portable system, the novelty of basically having an snes you could carry around anywhere was overwhelming.

when i was 11 i got it at launch and it was basically the hypest imaginable thing. tony hawk 2 had little super simple polygonal skaters and it blew my mind. i got the system and i think super mario advance, tony hawk 2 and chu chu rocket right before a trip to visit my uncle and i was walking down the stairs in his house with the gba in one hand and the games in my other hand so i wasnt holding onto the railing and i slipped and fell

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
gba was the console i was most excited for and spent the 4 months prior to launch staring at all the nintendo power articles about it before bed every night, and guess what the console owned

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got super mario advance and castlevania circle of the moon with my GBA around launch. It kicked rear end

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got super mario advance and castlevania circle of the moon with my GBA around launch. It kicked rear end

oh yeah i got circle of the moon too. and that awful earthworm jim remake that removes like 2/3rds of the animation

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I picked up Fire Pro Wrestling at launch and it ruled. GBA was a hell of a system

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
For some reason I just never cared for the gba games when I put hundreds of hours into the gb/hbc ones. Same with DS I just couldn’t get into them. I had a great time playing through shield though. Looking forward to the d/p remake and hoping they do gba games on switch at some point

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

herculon posted:

GBA was a hell of a system

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Average Bear posted:

I should check em out. They're on 3ds right?

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I think 3DS just has VC versions of the original gameboy gold/silver

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The GBA SP is the perfect handheld

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

probably nostalgia but i love the ds lite even with its stupid hinge. had the entire gba library, the best castlevanias, picross and then weird poo poo like hotel dusk, just cool as hell

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

They’re DS but you can of course play them on a 3DS

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The gba is loving incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

still wish they'd kept evolving gen 5's style instead of switching to lifeless 3d