Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is the funniest movie of the early aughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Riot Bimbo posted:

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is the funniest movie of the early aughts.

I agree, but did the idea of making a movie with scripted and set up "jokes" totally go out of fashion just before it was released??

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Dewey Cox is uneven but I agree that its one of the funniest movies ever. I love corny music biopics and it hits just about every possible joke and John C Reilly seems like the only person in the world who could make it. HIlarious in a smart/stupid way, but also a very talented singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2lhQCxKx_Y.
The that's amore is soooo funny to me.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"That is a terrible 'That's Amore'! I brought you in here on the advice of these Jewish gentlemen... who usually have good taste."

The OST to Walk Hard is even better. If you thought the stuff that made it into the movie was offensive, oh boy just listen to the album.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Caesar Saladin posted:

if tarantino did it, there wouldn't be any more feats of strength, it'd just be feets

I mean sure, yeah true, but still would end up being better movies.

In spite of, or because of, that is a question everyone watching can only answer for themselves.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know the 21/22 Jump Street movies aren’t unpopular and are generally well regarded, but I firmly put both of them in the All Time Greats category of comedy films. Utterly brilliant.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

FoolyCharged posted:

The sad thing is how many people didn't

Star Wars already did the space-Nazis thing in 1977.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

John C. Reilly is just unbelievably gifted at everything he does and is one of of my favorite actors. Dude can do it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OToWh3nrWn8

And if we’re talking about him and funniest movies of the ‘00s, Step Brothers is up there (along with Walk Hard).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pNqcZyPd80

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I liked the Total Recall remake. The second half was a complete cliche of sci fi and action movies from the plot structure down to individual shots and feels like watching any other action flick, and it's exactly how an implanted memory would play out. Very true to the idea.

Robocop 2 is one hell of a movie too. Say what you want about its social politics but drat if it doesn't know what it wants to do and puts exactly that on the screen without the least bit of compromise.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

superhero movies are all trash, no exceptions (no i will not watch your favourite one because it's "actually a really good film")

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

My Lovely Horse posted:

Robocop 2 is one hell of a movie too. Say what you want about its social politics but drat if it doesn't know what it wants to do and puts exactly that on the screen without the least bit of compromise.

I can't agree, but I can say that while RoboCop 1 is far superior, the best scene in RoboCop 2 is better than any scene in RoboCop 1.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Robocop 2 gets the grimy, body horror of being a cyborg down great.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I like the scene in Robocop 2 where he goes through the 80 directives they gave him and becomes totally unable to do anything. Reminds me of some real-life interactions in a funny way.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I watched robocop 2 for the first time in a long time and while it's a very different movie from the first one I can't deny that it's almost as entertaining

It has this weird, uncanny vibe that they needed to make a gory R rated action movie but they also couldn't deny how much the IP appealed to children, so it almost feels like it's a ridiculously violent kids movie sometimes. There's a scene where robocop and cain fall off a roof and a cartoon whistling noise plays, and as that happened I better understood and appreciated that they knew what they were doing

Also I could probably watch an entire series of too-many-directives-robocop loving up in various ways. That whole section of the movie, down to robo's hokey arm pumping, is like a highly produced shitpost and I love it

Breetai posted:

I can't agree, but I can say that while RoboCop 1 is far superior, the best scene in RoboCop 2 is better than any scene in RoboCop 1.

I'm lolling thinking about it now

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

pretty soft girl posted:

I watched robocop 2 for the first time in a long time and while it's a very different movie from the first one I can't deny that it's almost as entertaining

It has this weird, uncanny vibe that they needed to make a gory R rated action movie but they also couldn't deny how much the IP appealed to children, so it almost feels like it's a ridiculously violent kids movie sometimes. There's a scene where robocop and cain fall off a roof and a cartoon whistling noise plays, and as that happened I better understood and appreciated that they knew what they were doing

Also I could probably watch an entire series of too-many-directives-robocop loving up in various ways. That whole section of the movie, down to robo's hokey arm pumping, is like a highly produced shitpost and I love it

I'm lolling thinking about it now

Failed prototype scenes?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I have this bad opinion that I'm not exactly 100% on, but the gist is, I don't like Oscar bait movies. I mean, that's not really very controversial, but, it's more like, I can tell before I watch a movie, that the ending message / note is going to be

"but life...?

...life goes on"

So, like, I caved in to my wife and watched The Father the other day. Like, yeah, I guess it's well acted, but I knew everything that was going to be in it and everything it was going to say before it started. I never watched The Wife, but that's exactly the same. It's the same movie. I can't really think of more examples, but it's stuff that someone will suggest as a good film, and it's a really worthy film, and I'll not react well, which they'll take to mean I'm too meatheaded.

But honestly, it's the opposite. It's 6 years of theatre studies. "Oh you're doing a film within a film, as a meta commentary? THAT'S NEW". "Oh it's a scathing, subtle drama about a tough subject that doesn't reach any conclusions? OH BOY".

It's not that I want explosions, it's that I want, above all else, new ideas. I genuinely PREFER Jupiter Ascending, as a movie, to The Father. I think it's a BETTER movie. And, I appreciate why conventionally it isn't, and all the criticisms levelled at it make sense to me.

But it had something NEW in it. Which to me is more impressive.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Along Came Polly is a good movie. The world should be eternally grateful that a movie exists in which Philip Seymour goddamned Hoffman plays a role clearly written for Jack Black, and delivers lines like "dude, I sharted. That's when you fart and a little poo poo comes out" as if he's playing Willy Loman on Broadway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Chrpno posted:

I agree, but did the idea of making a movie with scripted and set up "jokes" totally go out of fashion just before it was released??

faster turnaround, lower cost on making a loose story structure and just letting some ppl improv their way through the whole thing, even if that output is decidedly uneven at the best of times and usually loving awful.