Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Red Letter Media loving suck and should be ignored.

Marvel films are products, not movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Battlefield Earth is a very fun movie, I have a good time whenever I watch it

This guy called his shot babe ruth style before stepping up to the posting plate with this one.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

old beast lunatic posted:

This guy called his shot babe ruth style before stepping up to the posting plate with this one.

tbh one of my favorite memories of my now dead best friend was smoking a bunch of pot and laughing constantly through his first time watching battlefield earth. loving cavemen flying harrier jets man COME ON

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Manos: The Hands of Fate is a more respectable film than most recent Hollywood blockbusters.

The Star Wars prequels are not as bad as their reputation, but they still aren't very good and are definitely not misunderstood masterpieces.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Their attempts at comedy make me want to loving die but my parasocial relationship keeps me subscribed

Anyway there's this movie Under the Skin with scarlet jo that everyone seems to think is good horror, it SUCKS and I HATED IT

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

i don't think they "loving suck" but i definitely don't find them funny and i don't understand why they have a following at all

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Konar posted:

Their attempts at comedy make me want to loving die but my parasocial relationship keeps me subscribed

Anyway there's this movie Under the Skin with scarlet jo that everyone seems to think is good horror, it SUCKS and I HATED IT

Most of the praise that movie got was post hoc rationalizations by people who didn't want to admit they only enjoyed it because they got to see Scarlet Johansson starkers.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i don't think they "loving suck" but i definitely don't find them funny and i don't understand why they have a following at all

The reason you don’t find them funny is because you’re horribly wrong.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

The Walrus posted:

the taika watiti one though

Also boring trash.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Cats 2019 wasn't a bad adaptation, it was just based on a poo poo musical. The two types of people who were ever going to watch that movie are insane people who liked the original and weren't going to accept any changes made to it, and people who had never seen Cats before and just had to witness the travesty for the first time. Of course everyone hated it, it was doomed from the start.

Rebel Wilson didn't help.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The first "Frozen" is actually a great movie and is a top tier Disney animated film. Like, top 10 list easily.

"Frozen 2" is so insanely bad despite being made by the same crew, so I have to imagine that even they aren't sure why that first movie worked so well. It's also exactly that haven't seen the first movie imagine that film to be.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Test audiences have never ever ever influenced the final cut of a movie in a negative way.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

The first "Frozen" is actually a great movie and is a top tier Disney animated film. Like, top 10 list easily.

"Frozen 2" is so insanely bad despite being made by the same crew, so I have to imagine that even they aren't sure why that first movie worked so well. It's also exactly that haven't seen the first movie imagine that film to be.

i don't think this is unpopular at all and basically all adults who seen these movies with their kids agree

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

The wizard of oz was the greatest movie every made and we've just been rolling downhill since then

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Jennifer Lawrence SUCKS she never been in a good movie!

People say Meryl Streep is a good actress but she wasn’t in Dredd, Fury Road or Starship Troopers so really how good could she be?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Marvel movies are a decently entertaining inoffensive way to spend a few hours and they're nothing to get worked up about

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

runnypoops posted:

Jennifer Lawrence SUCKS she never been in a good movie!

People say Meryl Streep is a good actress but she wasn’t in Dredd, Fury Road or Starship Troopers so really how good could she be?

American Hustle was good.

Mother was so atrocious that I consider it assault and seriously think Darren Aronofsky should have to compensate anyone who saw it and spend a year in prison.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Godfather Part II isn't nearly as good as Godfather Part I.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

American hustle was not good it was bad

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I guess you don't like PLUNGING NECKLINES

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Indiana Jones and the last crusade was the The Replacements of its day, casting aging actors in action rolls to pull in an older audience with nostolgia.

Also hunt for red October is easily the worst of the jack Ryan franchise, it's propped up in people's minds by the "star studded" cast which distracts from the films dull and meandering plot

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Indiana Jones and the last crusade was the The Replacements of its day, casting aging actors in action rolls to pull in an older audience with nostolgia.

Also hunt for red October is easily the worst of the jack Ryan franchise, it's propped up in people's minds by the "star studded" cast which distracts from the films dull and meandering plot

Sean Connery never played anybody but himself in every movie he was in. It worked, because he oozes charisma, but never once did I internalize any part he played as an actual character.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

I tell ya i was HUSTLING outta the theatre 20 mins into that piece of poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

runnypoops posted:

I tell ya i was HUSTLING outta the theatre 20 mins into that piece of poo poo

Wish you'd do the same hustling outta these forums.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

If a movie entertains you, then it is legitimately good - on the other hand, if a movie doesn't entertain you, but still has a profound or striking effect, then it's also good.

The only bad movies are insanely boring ones that don't shock you or blow your mind or movies that are just morally reprehensible garbage like Triumph of the Will or the Boondock Saints.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

So basically there's no such thing as a "so bad it's good movie." It's just a good movie. This means poo poo that we traditionally see as hallmarks of the "so bad it's good" genre are just legitimately great schlock garbo-film that manifest the essence of that particular genre. Trash film is a completely valid genre, it's not bad, it's just good trash.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Heath Ledger wasn't *that* good as the joker

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

So basically there's no such thing as a "so bad it's good movie." It's just a good movie. This means poo poo that we traditionally see as hallmarks of the "so bad it's good" genre are just legitimately great schlock garbo-film that manifest the essence of that particular genre. Trash film is a completely valid genre, it's not bad, it's just good trash.

:hai:

The only true sin a movie can commit is being boring. Samurai Cop, Miami Connection, and The Room are all good movies

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The Exorcist sucks rear end.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 is cinemas magnus opus

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Alderaan was no angel.

phydeaux
Jul 29, 2003
Nose Army. Jigsaw. Smellsign.

kntfkr posted:

Tom Hanks is not good.

I’m old so my introduction to him was with Bosom Buddies. To me he’ll always just be that dork in drag.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

If you didn't grow up watching Princess Bride it's tedious and dull.

The first John Wick owned, the sequel had no idea what to do next and was like watching someone play a PS2 shooter. Don't try to make an assassin based economy coherent.

Bill Murray and Jeff Goldblum can be good if they are putting effort into a role, not by default if they are sleepwalking for a paycheck. I don't even think Goldblum has any lines in the newest Jurassic Park that required him to stand up.

First Reformed and Nightcrawler should have won best picture.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
All the Daniel Craig Bond movies are joyless garbage, still too dumb to feel realistic but too dour to be fun.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ridley scott movies lack basic humanity and besides the admittedly awesome visuals they suck balls

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

numberoneposter posted:

ridley scott movies lack basic humanity and besides the admittedly awesome visuals they suck balls

The guy managed suck the fun out of robin hood. That's dedication.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

sean10mm posted:

All the Daniel Craig Bond movies are joyless garbage, still too dumb to feel realistic but too dour to be fun.

yes! James Bond just doesn't work as straight faced action cuz the whole shtick is "hi, I'm James Bond, rock n roll super spy, here's my card, find me on the web using AOL keyword, James Bond." and it's fun because there's no such thing as a rock n roll spy and hell yup octopussy. The whole tone of the Daniel Craig movies is "OK u guys, I'm being super cereal this time." and the wackiest poo poo they'll attempt is like the bad guy has a lazy eye. it feels like the scripts were written in Microsoft Excel by accountants. gently caress the current Bond era

He was aight in layer cake

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Kingpin owns and is better than any other Farrelly brothers movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOaNwY0YjUM

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 7, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
"Joe Dirt is more entertaining than Citizen Kane, ergo Joe Dirt is the better film."

~Siskles Ebert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
A Serious Man is the best Coen brothers movie

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 7, 2021