Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Could you hear the tone?
Yes, I heard it clear as day all the time.
Nope. Never even knew they emitted such a tone.
OP is a dumb smelly poop butt.
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

That incredibly high pitched 15 KHz tone they used to emit while they were on that made it seem like you had superhuman hearing and/or was a demigod or some poo poo. You’d be in another room yelling, “Hey, turn off the dang TV!”, and someone would ask how you knew it was on, and you’d just turn to the imaginary camera and grin like Kevin McAllister.

Apparently, a lot of people I knew never even heard the tone (probably about half), while the other half could hear it as clearly as I could. Could you hear it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I bet you can't hear it anymore. You're old, like the rest of us.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

How are u posted:

I bet you can't hear it anymore. You're old, like the rest of us.

I'm 37 and I can still hear it :colbert: (because I'm a nerd who doesn't listen to loud music)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My hearing is destroyed and I can still hear it, it's not that high pitched u wretched human being.
Got my CRTV right here ready to play some N64, some NES, some SNES, some Genesis, some PS1, I got all the system hooked up and ready to go.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The correct answer is the degauss button.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Try playing around 15,700 Hz here and see if you can still hear it. I think that's the CRT whine frequency.

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

15,734 for ntsc. 15,625 for pal.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Vakal posted:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
An action hero smashing a thug's head through the screen of a CRT TV looks more impressive than just whacking them with a LED screen.

PsionicAnt
Jul 16, 2001

Vakal posted:

Yes it's this

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Putting a magnet on the screen is the best bit about CRTs

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I remember when someone would turn on the hair dyer, the TV picture went to poo poo.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Vakal posted:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Vakal posted:

degauss was like cumming but for yr monitor

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sophy Wackles posted:

Try playing around 15,700 Hz here and see if you can still hear it. I think that's the CRT whine frequency.

God that sounds loving horrible to listen to

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i can still hear both PAL and NTSC despite a life of loud music and noisy pubs so that's a big win

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

I think I top out around 14,900.

I'm nearly 39 though, plus loud construction noises in my early 20s, and loud music throughout.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

tinnitus sucks, i already know i'm going to be one of those cellphones at max volume type of old person

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Sophy Wackles posted:

i tested the site and i can hear that tone but i closed the page and now i can't not hear it :shrug:

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Throwing a CRT at another CRT, or dropping a fridge on a CRT

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Call Your Grandma posted:

i tested the site and i can hear that tone but i closed the page and now i can't not hear it :shrug:

Turn off your tv.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Call Your Grandma posted:

you got havana syndromed

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
While in my teens I used to be able to hear not just CRTs but also all kinds of switching regulators in power supplies. Like, a common OKI dot-matrix printer sitting in standby would emit a distinct sound I could recognize. I loved audio back then, music was a powerful sensory experience. I'd hang out in record stores sampling every one of the albums on the headphone demo table. I was poor so I got a factory job to save up for a hifi system. The job involved banging aluminum trays against steel bars. Gave me permanent hearing damage in mid-frequencies. Life choices.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Buy an 80s VCR and you can still hear that poo poo, same with older CRTs and a lot of other AV electronics. That hum and whine is extremely audible, especially as the unit gets hotter over longer use sessions.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Vakal posted:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Commodore 1702 monitor would always let me know it was on. It wasn't so much hearing it, it was just a feeling.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I could and do. I just thought you all would want to know that.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the emulators on a hd monitor dont capture the

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

kntfkr posted:

degauss was like cumming but for yr monitor

whole new meaning to "turn on your monitor"

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Boner M posted:

Putting a magnet on the screen is the best bit about CRTs

Dont't try this at home, CRT device owners. I did it to an old black & white TV once, and the purple splotch I created in one corner of the screen never went away completely afterwards, no matter what angle I dragged a magnet over it.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

I was poor so I got a factory job to save up for a hifi system. The job involved banging aluminum trays against steel bars. Gave me permanent hearing damage in mid-frequencies. Life choices.

Is this a subtle way of saying you went to prison for a long time, and were old with bad hearing by the time you were released??

But seriously, if you haven't already, see a lawyer. In Australia, our government provides compensation for even decades old workplace hearing loss. In the U. S. probably not, but I imagine you could sue, with a pro bono lawyer.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
degauss button was fun and all, but the real fun was to be had with a degaussing coil

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

BigBadSteve posted:

Dont't try this at home, CRT device owners. I did it to an old black & white TV once, and the purple splotch I created in one corner of the screen never went away completely afterwards, no matter what angle I dragged a magnet over it.

You reverse damage simply by rubbing the magnet over it again.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sophy Wackles posted:

I didn't think before loading this and now my dog is very agitated.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Vakal posted:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Sophy Wackles posted:

yes and holy hell it is unpleasant even at a low volume

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Philthy posted:

Commodore 1702 monitor would always let me know it was on. It wasn't so much hearing it, it was just a feeling.

Yeah my 1902A was like that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I always liked juggling CRT TVs. Lots of fun.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i hear it so well that i have to disable power to the vintage station beside me or it annoys me.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
seth's corner/seth clips was really wise to include an artificial crt buzz, it's like i'm literally channel surfing in the late 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Sophy Wackles posted:

i drop off right at 16,000 hz. what's the fq they play to keep teenagers from loitering at malls again?

e: holy poo poo it's 17.4 khz i'm not even in the ballpark :wal:

Pac and Cheese fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 8, 2021