Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Could you hear the tone?
Yes, I heard it clear as day all the time.
Nope. Never even knew they emitted such a tone.
OP is a dumb smelly poop butt.
View Results

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Boner M posted:

You reverse damage simply by rubbing the magnet over it again.

That's the "theory". In practice it worked somewhat but not fully. I probably tried to fix it hundreds of times, all up, being an obsessive bastard. Don't put a magnet near a CRT screen if you don't want to severely risk loving it up. Simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mac and Cheese posted:

i drop off right at 16,000 hz. what's the fq they play to keep teenagers from loitering at malls again?

e: holy poo poo it's 17.4 khz i'm not even in the ballpark :wal:

Mine cuts out around 12,500. :/

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Sophy Wackles posted:

Try playing around 15,700 Hz here and see if you can still hear it. I think that's the CRT whine frequency.

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

I don't think that site is working! Anything after 14,500 just cuts off! Very poor coding.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

BigBadSteve posted:

That's the "theory". In practice it worked somewhat but not fully. I probably tried to fix it hundreds of times, all up, being an obsessive bastard. Don't put a magnet near a CRT screen if you don't want to severely risk loving it up. Simple.

In fact it works perfectly every time.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
did they ever make 1080p CRTs?

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

BigBadSteve posted:

Mine cuts out around 12,500. :/

drat i'm glad while you all were blasting ROCK and RAP MUSIC at FULL VOLUME i was studying the blade

maybe even going to concerts without earplugs? pure degeneracy

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I left a Sun O))) concert and I thought car alarms were going off around me, but it was just my ears "ringing" because the concert was so loud.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Boner M posted:

In fact it works perfectly every time.

Generalising others' experience based entirely on one's own is surely one of the classic signs of pigheaded idiocy.

But then you also suggested throwing one CRT monitor at another ITT, so pardon me for expecting better from you.

It must be hard to think being a constant boner, taking all the blood away from the brain, which is elsewhere.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

BigBadSteve posted:

Generalising others' experience based entirely on one's own is surely one of the classic signs of pigheaded idiocy.

But then you also suggested throwing one CRT monitor at another ITT, so pardon me for expecting better from you.

It must be hard to think being a constant boner, taking all the blood away from the brain, which is elsewhere.

Im sorry you broke your TV

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mac and Cheese posted:

drat i'm glad while you all were blasting ROCK and RAP MUSIC at FULL VOLUME i was studying the blade

maybe even going to concerts without earplugs? pure degeneracy

Yep, right re the rock, just asking for it.

A heads-up to those using the tone generator website: Do read and take in board the warning on the webpage about not raising the volume high when the tone becomes high enough to be inaudible. I did this and went a bit deaf in the ear nearest the speakers for a while afterwards. Not clever.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Boner M posted:

Im sorry you broke your TV

OK thanks, and sorry for accusing you of being an actual erect penis.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

So how bad is it if I can't hear anything above 15.4khz without putting my ear to the phone at age 30.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
is anyone alive out there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riVal-VBLzg

can anyone hear me?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

So how bad is it if I can't hear anything above 15.4khz without putting my ear to the phone at age 30.

Your phone might also suck

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

the best part was the wobbly visual bounce when they came on and the bwoomp when they turned off. really felt like you were starting/stopping a thing.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Vakal posted:

The correct answer is the degauss button.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

oh and also having an indestructible brick of a tv i could fearlessly throw my empties at while watching football

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

the nice staticky feeling when you went to change the channel that madet he hairs on yoru arm stand on end

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

room on top for a cat (or two!)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

de_dust posted:

I think there were a few but they were crazy expensive and pointless since the industry had already mostly moved to LCD and plasma.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I don't think a phone speaker has anywhere near the frequency range for trying something like this.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

call me when im old enough to not hear my MIL hahaha LOL

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I miss trying to smash the screen of a 36” tv left by the dumpster with multiple cinder blocks and then having them all crumble until you use a giant piece of coral which completely destroys the screen. The good ol days.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Bloopsy posted:

I miss trying to smash the screen of a 36” tv left by the dumpster with multiple cinder blocks and then having them all crumble until you use a giant piece of coral which completely destroys the screen. The good ol days.

i miss people not realizing that these screens blow up when you smash them

i wonder how much silica we all inhaled. we'll find out!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Your phone might also suck

Yeah my phone cuts off at 16, but with headphones it's around 17.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I miss having one. I'd love to gave a small CRT again just for my old console setups. There's a giant one in the basement of my mom's house and I have no idea what we're gonna do with it. It's gotta weigh at least 300-400 pounds.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Put it up for free on craigslist? I'd say that's your best bet for finding some turbonerd who's willing to move it. Otoh there's a massive one in the basement of my apartment I'd love to have but I ain't hauling it up two stories.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just dig deeper, you can make that crt a part of the foundation

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How come I can hear 15.7khz only with my ear to the speaker at full volume but not farther? Is that like the Doppler effect?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bloopsy posted:

Lol I destroyed a GameCube controller by getting mad at Viewtiful Joe and hurling it. I meant to throw it at the wall but rage swayed my aim and it hit the corner of the screen instead. The screen was fine; the controller not so much.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

de_dust posted:

I'm not sure about TVs, but there were 1080p CRT monitors (that weighed 100lbs and cost $10,000).

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

By popular demand posted:

How come I can hear 15.7khz only with my ear to the speaker at full volume but not farther? Is that like the Doppler effect?

Your ear is dyin

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ty garlic bread

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Once I was invited by a friend to bash up an old crt tv that didn't work super well, it was such a tiny little guy that seemed to look up at me and say, 'please, no', I didn't want to do it and we got interrupted by some other thing so I never did it, maybe he did though not sure

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
You don't get to call yourself a gamer unless you dragged a big rear end CRT to LAN parties. :corsair:

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I thought it would be the hernia from lifting an old crt tv.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

By popular demand posted:

Don't put high volume high frequency noises near your ear. It's supposed to be super bad for your hearing, even if perceptually it's barely audible.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My hearing is destroyed and I can still hear it, it's not that high pitched u wretched human being.
Got my CRTV right here ready to play some N64, some NES, some SNES, some Genesis, some PS1, I got all the system hooked up and ready to go.

wanna spend 2 hours a piece making a custom wrestler then battle

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Vakal posted:

The correct answer is the degauss button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

It isn’t quite the same hum but I can definitely tell when lovely chargers and stuff are connected. For example we got a couple of those outlet expanders that have usb slots for directly charging phones. Except they emit a dirty sounding frequency that gnaws away at my brain, which ain’t the best for sleeping so there goes 50% of the utility of the drat thing