Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

What's Rune Factory?
It's the notably more anime spinoff of Harvest Moon that also has RPG combat and stuff- it was doing the Swords & Sowing thing before things like Stardew came along. The farming's still there, it's just that you get swords, monsters, and world domination plots/saving the world as well.

Also all the protagonists have amnesia. Well, most of them. Sometimes they actually do something with that, other times it's just to give you not much of a backstory.

What's Frontier?
It's the only game in the series that's a sequel, (at least sort of,) continuing off with part of the cast from the first game. It also stands as the series's first console debut, as up until this point the games were only on the DS.

It's somewhat more... anime, I guess, than its two predecessors. Has some improvements, some questionable design choices, and a decent soundtrack.

This game is the third in the series, coming just after the game that lets a 7 year old fake marry their 14 year old unaging aunt.

wait what
I'm inclined to say it was a programming oversight and/or laziness. RF2 had a lot of that.

Well, if it's a sequel, do I need to know anything about the first game?
Not really, no. It's a rather loose sequel at best, and I'll fill in any necessary details regarding the first game as we go along. There's an excellent LP of it here by Lord Hippoman if you want to see it all for yourself.

Is it any good?
It's... okay, from what I remember. I'll let you decide for yourself. It's been like... seven years since I last tried playing this and I got about halfway through it if we're being generous.

...Now I must ask, Why?
I've got a big backlog of unfinished games and I figured this would be a fun way of going about finishing said games. Frontier's been on the list a long time, having gotten put aside in favor other games. The other console release, Tides of Destiny is also on said list, though I played through even less of that game.

If this goes well, I'll probably LP ToD as well- it's been long enough I don't remember too much about it aside from the hot milk exploit.

Still, seemed like a natural choice for a first attempt at LP.

What about spoilers?
Would rather you didn't spoil anything for this game at least. There's honestly not that much to spoil, this game's got more grind than story, but still. Feel free to talk about RF1, I guess, since it's relevant, but don't randomly spoil the other games unless it's necessary.

Thread Particpation?
For sure! There's gonna be a good bit of naming, potential marriage candidates, what we wield and more. I'm going to be letting the thread dictate a great deal of what I do.

SPRING, YEAR 1

Update 01: Orange Air Spaghetti
Update 02: It's Free Real Estate
Update 03: In Which The First Day Is Ended
Update 04: Dirt Nap
Update 05: Dirt Is Magnetic to Faces - A Theory
Update 06: KNOWLEDGE
Update 07: I got the turnip.
Update 08: Aerial Assault Animes
Update 09: Questionable
Update 10: Questionable, Part 2
Update 11: The Runey Situation
Update 12: Nowhere Near Fin-ished
Update 13: Hot Dogs
Update 14: Inedible Set Dressing
Update 15: At Least I've Got Chicken
Update 16: I'll have some vegetables
Update 17: Jammin'
Update 18: Bakin' Carrot Biscuits
Update 19: Money and Lumber
Update 20: The Update Where People Insist It's Summer But It's Not

SUMMER, YEAR 1

Update 21: The Beach Episode- Much Ado About Melons
Update 22: The Lady and the Trampoli
Update 23: Master Bush's Monster
Update 24: tomato
Update 25: HILTMOALTG
Update 26: How To Spend An Exorbitant Amount Of Money On Grass
Update 27: Mercantile Mercy
Update 28: Axes to Grind
Update 29: This Day Sucks
Update 30: A Diamond In the Rough
Update 31: Workin' In the Magic Mines
Update 32: Hey Nineteenth
Update 33: A Clean Bed of Dirt
Update 34: Ecological Warfare - Call of Runey
Update 35: bath family
Update 36: The Day Bush Didn't Bathe
Update 37: Flowers of Contrast
Update 38: Much Ado About Marriage and Kids
Update 39: "i do regret the rainbow can"
Update 40: Bush Becomes a Debt Collector

AUTUMN, YEAR 1

Update 41: Over Jumbled Lines of Localization
Update 42: Bush, Reloaded
Update 43: Moon Made of Cheese Confirmed, Researcher Says
Update 44: The Legend of Mist - Grimoire of Time
Update 45: The Day of Bachelorettes
Update 46: It's Yours, My Friend
Update 47: As Long As You Have Enough Rubies
Update 48: Magic Windfall
Update 49: Tree Mom (and Crystal Flowers)
Update 50: Blooper Reel
Update 51: A Date With...
Update 52: Destiny
Update 53: The Great Turnip Heist

WINTER, YEAR 1

Update 54: Snow Jean
Update 55: QUIZ DAY
Update 56: Lady of the Rings- Two Vampires
Update 57: The Hotpot Faux Pas
Update 58: The Future of Bush Shrub

YEAR 2

Update 59: Into A New Year
Update 60: Waiting for Coquille
Update 61: Secret Agent Man
Update 62: The Juniper Bush
Final Update: The Epilogue

Thread Voting

Intermission 1: Green Ruins, Whale Island Cave & Fin

Intermission 2: Status Update & Bachelorette Voting 1

Intermission 3: The Bonus Commentary Round

Bonus

Anette's Autumn Date (Update 51)
Cinnamon's Autumn Date (Update 51)
Melody's Autumn Date (Update 51)
Tabatha's Autumn Date (Update 51)
Lara's Autumn Date (Update 51)

The Darkest Timeline (Intermission 3)

Unused Dialogue & Events (Final Update)

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Reserving this, just in case.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 01: Orange Air Spaghetti

This game has motion controls if you want them. The box even says they're "innovative".

You, uh, swing the remote.

Marvelous Entertainment has a long background with the Harvest Moon, (or rather Story of Seasons nowadays). They did a merger in 2011 to become Marvelous AQL, and 3 years later they just changed it back to Marvelous.

They do a lot of publishing, basically.

XSEED is a subsidiary of theirs, apparently originally founded by ex-Squeenix US employees. It's possible you've heard of them.

They do a lot of localization.

Neverland is the actual developers of the Rune Factory series, as well as Lufia and some other things. They went out of business in 2013 and the majority of its employees got absorbed by Marvelous.

This guy's the head of the Story of Seasons series, since this whole spinoff series was a sort of collaboration effort.

After this starts the opening FMV, and you bet it's got J-Pop.

And, it's uh...unique. Here's the video if you wanted to watch it and ignore the following 40 screenshots.

Music: The Sweetest Time

(I'll also be doing music links as this game's soundtrack is pretty alright overall, with some real good stuff mixed in. Outside of the J-Pop intro and outro, it's all done by Tomoko Morita, who's basically done the score for the majority if not all of Neverland's games.

Fortuntately, someone's already uploaded the soundtrack on Youtube, so hey, saves me time- you're a credit to this LP, mate.)

(Note From Future Odd: If you run into an ad while loading one up, it's because Marvelous apparently copyright claimed them. Better than being taken down, I guess.)

There's some sort of light flying in this tiny aspect ratio screen.

It and the screen get bigger. It's some sort of hyped up butterfly or something.

We go green.

Now there's a bird flying towards the light.

We've gone blue now.

Hey there, title card, that was fast. I almost forgot what game I was LPing.

As the lyrics kick in, the bird flies over a horizon that looks like the title screen of the first game.

Then the bird vanishes into light spaghetti.

Now we get two very uncomfortably close close-ups of our protagonist.

Ah, yes, the peaceful pose in idyllic agricultural scenery.

Well, it's more of his face. Decidedly not so idyllic.

By staring at the bushes, he uses his innate farmer-ness to create... oranges?

That bird comes by again and makes everything orange.

We now turn our attention to another anime now holding a candle in a snowy cabin.

She gets out of the chair and it's suddenly spring now, and also the house is gone.

The candle is now a butterfly and the chair is gone.

I don't think this farmer magic follows the laws of conservation of mass.

And then an orange falls into this person's hand and she turns it into air spaghetti again. She's a new face at least!

This anime is fascinated by fish, apparently.

Oh, and now there's a nun.

A brief interlude of our protagonist looking very serious alongside a squirrel.

This anime gets barely 3 seconds of screen time.

They're just throwing them at us rapid fire now. All of these characters have similarly short screen time.

Well, this guy's not happy.

Cut back to more animes being fascinated by air spaghetti/oranges/birds/butterflies.

And also this cool pose for about 4 seconds. I guess we slashed the big demon guy into a bunch of petals or something.

Then there's these two- red/magenta eyes is always a good sign, right?

We've got a witch running through a field. No information right now on whether or not she practices orange air spaghetti magic.

If those hands get any closer I'm gonna have to come up with a censor filter.

And we cut to our protagonist running through a field much bigger than we'll ever hope to have.

Thanks to the sunlight blurring some features, most of these people don't look that happy to be here.

Music: Title Theme

(This one's a nice theme, although you really don't hear it much.)

Wow, I spent 40 screenshots of your time on that.

Amazingly, we get 3 save slots this time. As far as I remember, every game after this point has 3 save files, which is a bit nicer than the two the previous games gave you.

Doesn't really affect me as I've got savestates, but whatever.

These things on the loading screen are a new mechanic exclusive to this game we'll get to in due time. Probably in a couple updates. This game starts slow.

For now, we've got some intro narration!

Music: To You

(This track so happens to be a remix of the intro theme from RF1. A number of tracks are, which makes sense with this being a sequel and all.)

YOUNG MAN: I had lost everything: my memory, a place to live...

YOUNG MAN: When I was on the verge of collapse, I met her.

YOUNG MAN: She provided me with food, a home, and... new memories.

This is a rather generous recollection of the events. He literally passes out in front of her house, 3 minutes away from the nearest town, and gets suckered into ownership of a run-down farm.

The "having garbage farm foisted upon you" is a recurring theme in this series, unlike Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons where you usually willingly take it.

YOUNG MAN: However, she suddenly disappeared one day without a single word to anybody.

YOUNG MAN: That very next day, I left the town behind to search for her.

But yeah, this is the plot that links this game to the first. This girl up and moves out, and our protagonist decides to track her down her whereabouts immediately, apparently infinitely grateful or something.

Yep.

As to how many of the events of the first game transpired, this game doesn't make it clear. If this was supposed to make it easier to connect this game to your playthrough of the first, it just ends up doing the opposite. In practice it usually feels like a retcon remake, but with our protagonist having a bit of backstory now instead of only "has amnesia". You'll see what I mean much later.

Music: Night Ambience

(This isn't actually a song. It's just crickets and owls and whatever and I would've told you to imagine it yourself, but it seems this playlist's got me covered again.)

YOUNG MAN: Man, it's getting pretty dark. I'd better look for a place to rest for the night...

YOUNG MAN: I wonder if I can find lodging over there.

I don't know if it's because I was just used to the art of the other games, but Raguna in this game always looked a bit off to me.

The screen fades again as we move towards that large-ish church in the distance. This whole scene makes a little less sense when you get an idea of the town's layout.

SISTER: You're looking for a missing girl? I'm very sorry to hear that.

SISTER: If you don't mind this humble place, you should stay here for the night.

YOUNG MAN: Thank you so much! Sister, um...

SISTER: Stella.

Earlier Rune Factory games always had this unexplained religion around, though this is the last game that has it, I believe. It's vaguely Catholic given the nuns, I guess.

It changes to either being unmentioned or dragon worship later.

YOUNG MAN: Sister Stella, thank you very much. My name is...

And here is where we name our character. Raguna is his standard name, (Ragna in Japan,) but I would presume that the thread has a better name. There's a 6 character limit, so keep that in mind, and make it easy to tell what your vote is or I might miss it. I'm new to this thing after all.

We've also got access to roman numerals for some reason...? Try to keep the name sensible, I guess.

Oh, and I'll need a name for our farm as well. Bit of a spoiler, I know, getting a farm in a series about farming, but we do get one soon. It's similarly 6 letters long.

Anyways, I'll cut this update here not to make it a pagebuster, even if hardly 20% of the screen shots were even part of the game. Could I have put the FMV in a different post? Yes, but I didn't.

Next time we engage the struggles of being an agricultural landowner (actual gameplay) and become acquainted with our neighbors (more dialogue).

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 19, 2023

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Ooh, Rune Factory Frontier. The game that, were it not for one specific mechanic, I probably would still be playing when I felt like I wanted something more relaxed. I still have vaguely fond memories of it, at least.

Anyways, since I remember collapsing from exhaustion a lot I'm gonna toss out Paul for our new protagonist's name.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Ooh, Rune Factory. I've read the last LPs of some of the other Rune Factory games, played one for myself, it always seemed fascinating. And now with more Anime.

Our guy looks like a Bush. That's my name vote.

And Shrub farm.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

VIncent. Spelled with a six.

And this is the UprIVer farm.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

TeeQueue posted:

Ooh, Rune Factory Frontier. The game that, were it not for one specific mechanic, I probably would still be playing when I felt like I wanted something more relaxed. I still have vaguely fond memories of it, at least.

Anyways, since I remember collapsing from exhaustion a lot...

Yeah, I know the one you're talking about. It takes a while to show itself, but show itself it will. Aside from that, it is a pretty good chill experience, and the soundtrack really helps for that. "Vaguely fond memories" describes what I remember too.

Exhaustion comes fast in this game, I'd actually forgotten how mechanically small your HP/RP starts in this game compared to the others.

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Ooh, Rune Factory. I've read the last LPs of some of the other Rune Factory games, played one for myself, it always seemed fascinating. And now with more Anime.

The LPs of the other RF games definitely had a role in inspiring me to do this, I'll admit. I haven't seriously played one in years, though I used to be rather invested in the series. I still remember seeing RF1 in Nintendo Power.

There is indeed more Anime. I think it's mostly thanks to this game being on a console with more than 128MB of storage to it's carts, and perhaps trying to find their footing somewhat after RF2.

Ratoslov posted:

And this is the UprIVer farm.

Well, there is indeed a wide stream nearby the farm we'll have. Not a full river, but it's there and has just about as many fish.

Edit: I'll probably call the votes in about 12 hours unless we end up needing another tiebreaker. I'll just be doing up the portraits for the rest of the cast in the meantime.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 8, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Our guy looks like a Bush. That's my name vote.

And Shrub farm.
Tossing my vote in for Bush & Shrub as well

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Alright, looks like we're gonna be Bush of Shrub farm. Next update should be out pretty fast after this.

There will be plenty of naming opportunities for later when it comes to our tamed monsters.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I just found this, so my vote's a bit late, but Bush and Shrub are definitely Good Names.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

AltaBrown posted:

I just found this, so my vote's a bit late, but Bush and Shrub are definitely Good Names.

I probably could've kept the vote open longer, (it was like barely open for two days,) but I was also really wanting to get around to start recording some gameplay.

5 hours and 5GB of video later... I'm at Spring 10th. It's amazing how the game is simultaneously holding back and throwing so much at you in the early game. This'll be a few updates all on it's own.

I'd say the next update should be out within the next two days, easily.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 02: It's Free Real Estate

Results of the very short poll are in, and it's been decided that we are Bush of Shrub Farm.

I think it's a fitting name.

STELLA: Bush, huh? That's a wonderful name.

See, even the nun thinks so!

STELLA: By the way, Bush, was this missing girl your sweetheart?

BUSH: N-no! It's nothing like that at all!

BUSH: ...But, she is a very important person to me.

STELLA: I see. Well, let's just leave the matter be for now, eh? It's getting late, you should rest. Good night.

This will be a subject that comes up occasionally, but it's not nearly as prevalent as you might think.

We fade out as they head for the door on the left, and we finally get some rest. Hey, at least we didn't fall out half-conscious in front of some stranger's house this time!

Music: Goodnight

(This is a callback to RF1's sleeping tune, being almost identical but just cleaner. It's typically remixed for reuse throughout the series, and it's always nostalgic hearing it again.)

Music: St. Poli Church

(Being a new day, the Goodnight theme gives way to the church's dedicated music. It is sufficiently holy. I also don't remember if we ever learn who St. Poli even is.)

BUSH: Thank you for last night, Sister Stella. How can I repay you?

STELLA: We must all help each other out in times of need. I'll be praying your search goes well.

BUSH: Thank you.

With that, we cut to an FMV showing a light beginning to shine into the church. Are we about to become the chosen one, destined to save the world?

A voice calls out, and the first notes of the title theme start playing.

:
UNKNOWN GIRL: Good morning!

Oh, hey, it's you. The one with the candle from the intro.

UNKNOWN GIRL: You are...

---------------
1. Have we met?
2. Mi-Mist?!
----------------

Dialogue choices! We get a number of these throughout the game, and they rarely matter, but I'll show off the branching dialogue anyways.

As the second option suggests, this is indeed Mist, the girl Bush has been looking for and the one whose house he passed out in front of in the first game. She's also got these odd, toe-less boots, and some sort of circlet on. It's never been easy to see, and it's basically defined by that one V between the part in her hair. We've also got some sort of circlet or thin headband that is also very hard to see.

Maybe if we act like we don't know her, we can escape our impending gift-of-garbage-farm.

-------------------------------

Have we met?

MIST: Of course, Bush.

MIST: It's me, Mist! Don't tell me you forgot.

MIST: Ooh, I get it! You must have amnesia again!

BUSH: No...

BUSH: I just couldn't believe it was really you because I never imagined I'd find you so easily, that's all.

Alas, the game doesn't let you escape your backstory.

MIST: Haha. Bush, you're still saying such silly things.

BUSH: ...

Moving to the other branch...

M-Mist?!

MIST: Yes, I'm Mist. And you... You look just like Bush!

BUSH: That's 'cause I AM him!

MIST: Oh, what a coincidence to meet a place like this.

BUSH: I came looking for you, Mist!!

Just wanted to say, if you see weird punctuation or a typo, 99% of the time, it's the game's fault. This game's got it's fair share of translation mishaps, although it's usually good about it most of the time.

I'm not going to harp on them, but I am going to joke about them.

STELLA: Ahahaha! So Mist was the missing girl Bush was looking for!

That being said, Stella's just talking to nobody specific right now.

MIST: Sister Stella, I didn't know you knew Bush.

BUSH: I just happened to stop here for the night while I was looking for you.

BUSH: More importantly, What in the world are you doing here, Mist?! Everyone's worried about you because you left so suddenly.

I've found that the second choice in these situations usually ends up giving more dialogue than the first. The two branches meet up somewhere around this point.

MIST: Oh, I'm sorry. Well, then could you return to town and tell everyone I'm fine?

BUSH: Huh...? You're not coming with me?

MIST: I can't. Someone is calling for me.

BUSH: Again, with the nonsense...

MIST: I know! Bush, you should stay here!

Mist hears the call of the plot, and you're not escaping it, Bush.

BUSH: What?! I can't do that!

MIST: If I remember correctly, there's an empty house next to the one I live in.

STELLA: Well, yes, there is, but no one has lived there for so long, it's a mess. Not to mention the farm...

MIST: Don't worry. Bush is very skilled at tending to such things. I'm sure he'll clean this one right up!

BUSH: Um... I don't remember agreeing to stay here...

MIST: Come, Bush. It's this way!

As if by cruel fate, Bush is being roped into managing a run-down farm again. Some early Harvest Moon games would let you just say no and get a game over/ early credits sequence, but this is not one of them.

Music: Spring

(This is our first seasonal theme! This one's quite relaxing, but the unfortunate truth of the seasonal themes in this game is that you'll be hearing way too much of them.

This game also doesn't remember track placement either, so there's a good chance the opening section will wear its welcome even thinner.

Even with all of that, I still, I do quite like this one. It has a feel to it that's rather unique to this game.)

MIST: Just down this path!

BUSH: Please wait!

STELLA: Bush, once you finish up some work, can you come to my place?

BUSH: Sure.

I mean, sure why not, we're basically going to be neighbors now.

Staring at the door, rendered still from shock, we can now actually control Bush. While movement in this game isn't as finely tuned as the games that would come after, it's a lot better than RF1 for sure.

It's also Spring 2nd, a Monday, as evidenced by the clock at the upper part of the screen. While that may seem arbitrary, this is done because the 1st would've been New Years and thus all the businesses would be closed on our first day as we explore town. This was a notable issue RF1 had.

Technically, we did get here on the 1st, but we did sleep at the church, so, uh, here we are.

Time doesn't move right now, and we can't enter any other buildings because we're not out of the tutorial yet. 3 seconds of movement down the hill, and we have control taken away from us again. :argh:

BUSH: What is that?

MIST: That's Whale Island. It's always in the sky above Trampoli village.

The name of the town hasn't been named up until this point, so yes, it's called Trampoli. Also there's a flying whale shaped island in the sky above it.

It's always flying whales.

What a strange island...

I heard there's a cave inside it. Piques your interest doesn't it?

--------------
1. Yeah...
2. Not really.
-------------

Meh, I'm sure it'll be entirely irrelevant to the plot.

Not really.

I'm not so sure.

Mist: Really? You always say things like that but still go out on adventures, Bush.

Okay fine, you got me, I do want to know about the rock whale.

Yeah...

BUSH: Yeah. How does an island float above the clouds like that?

MIST: I'm sure you'll be able to find the answer to that, Bush. I just know it.

Surprisingly, the answer to this question is really quite easy to find.

MIST: Anyway, let's go. Follow me. It's this way.

With that, we head off across the bridge we came from last night.

We get many establishing shots of the surrounding area.

MIST: This is your new home, Bush. How do you like it? Isn't it great?

Well, it's a lot prettier than the old one.

BUSH: Um... Well... I guess so...

I can understand Bush's reluctance though-

-this field is pretty awful... and I mean that mechanically. We got some garbage RNG here- just terrible spawns.

My test run had a lot better field than this. Oh well, I guess it's got a decent bit of open space. Said open space won't last long, but it's there!

Not speaking mechanically, it's a free house with farmland in the front, Bush, what more could you want?

MIST: Feel free to use this house and the farm in front however you like.

MIST: You know what? We should give your farm a name.

"Mist" was the default name in the first game too. I'm sure you can guess why.

We'll be going with Shrub Farm, as per thread vote.

MIST: That's a great name. I think it suits the place.

BUSH: I hope you weren't planning on saying that no matter what I named it.

She in fact, was. She has this response to everything you name your farm, even Farm Farm. The only thing that nets a different response is the default:

----------------------------------------

MIST: "Mist Farm"? Sounds like a name that could spread across town in a wink.

BUSH: Ahahaha... You think so?

It's not even your farm this time, Mist. Hell, I don't even know by what authority you're allowed to give this to us.

MIST: It's gonna be great to have you here. See you later!

She then walks away for a second, visibly remembers something, then walks back. This was her main sort of quirk in the first game.

MIST: I almost forgot! You're going to need this.

You got Cheap Hoe!
You got Cheap Can!

Somehow, Mist has managed to find another batch of junk tools to bestow upon us as she once did before. They go well with our equally garbage farm.

We'll work on fixing it up in time, but it won't come quickly.

Bush shows us that he still knows what to do with these.

MIST: It looks good on you. Don't forget to fill the watering can with water before using it.

Common sense, and also the information that these junk tools are apparently a fashion statement. I'm sure Evelyn from RF3 would be happy to know about this.

MIST: You definitely have a knack for being an Earthmate, Bush. I can tell by just looking at you.

Probably gonna have to explain this as well, as I don't believe the game really ever covers what this means.

Earthmates are a plot point in most Rune Factory games as your protagonist is either one or has powers similar to one (RF3, ToD). You've got some deeper connection to the spirits of the world, which makes you good at farming and whatnot, alongside communicating to dragons. In practice, it means if there's some ancient device or ritual, we're probably needed to start or stop it.

And yeah, uh, that's pretty much it. The royal knights of Norad, (the kingdom we're in,) are all probably earthmates, and we also have some sort of secret language we made up but mostly forgot, as per RF2.

I wouldn't put it past this game to forget this plot point up until the end like the first game, or just entirely.

Oh, and another thing. I wanted to give this to you, Bush. It's a Turnip Seed.

You got Turnip Seed!

MIST: I'll be looking forward to those turnips.

BUSH: ... Does this mean I have to give her some turnips later...?

Take a wild guess what items she likes.

With the clock starting to finally move, the game has finally started. That being said, this game opens up gradually and will play the majority of it's cards over the course of the next update or three.

If you've played a Rune Factory game before, you might notice something odd.

It's basically a given in these games that they throw you a tutorial on how to farm immediately, and with that, a random monster will show up to give you the barest understanding of combat. Frontier does neither of these.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it never even does the latter. Some characters will periodically offer farming advice and short tutorials in the early game as well as a step-by-step guide in your house, but mentions of combat are brief to nonexistent.

Just an observation.

We can also finally open our menu. We brought absolutely nothing with us aside from 500g, so all we've got is the stuff Mist gave us. This is gonna be an fixer-upper operation from the ground up.

And when I say Bush brought absolutely nothing with him, I mean even physically. He's go no skill in anything, even farming, which he's supposedly good at.

This is our status screen. There's a lot to cover here, and I've got more to get to in this update, so covering all of this will wait until later.

HP is HP, and RP is effectively our stamina & mana bar. You might be surprised to see that our RP is a massive 500 max which puts the two previous games to shame, with their 100 RP permanent maximums.

It is simultaneously both as good as it looks, and also not. You'll see soon enough that 500 does not last nearly as long as you might think it would.

We do not have a barn.

It will be quite some time before we get a barn, but when we do, we can check it any time from this menu.

Options! I can disable the motion controls if I want, but this is already on emulator, so uh

Had we any recipe books for crafting, they would be here.

"Stella- The very person that made Trampoli what it is today. Considered the town's mother."

And on this page, we can psychically check other people's opinions of us, as well as watch them spin slowly in our brainspace.

"Mist- The girl next door. A bit aloof and random but is very nice. Likes Turnips."

You can't zoom up or anything. Also, for as much a friend as Bush thinks Mist is, she doesn't really care about him. A flat 0/0 Friendship and Love.

But as I said earlier, this farm spawn is bad. Unlike RF1, the starting layout is random, and this one has no bamboo shoots. My test file had three, and they're worth 110g each when sold.

I guess we're gonna have to work a bit harder for our early money then.

All the non-rock, non-wood objects in our field can be picked up. The majority of what you see is weeds, but some of these are minorly useful herbs. They'll be better later if we get a pharmacy.

I pick the upper right part of the field to use for now as it's closer to a water source, and luckily somewhat clear already.

After tilling the wrong tile, and whiffing a blow against the impenetrable grass, I till the tile I meant to and become more skilled at farming. This reduces the cost of RP it takes to swing our farming implements, which means we are slightly more fit.

Our maximum RP will never improve from that 500, so skilling up is the only way to make farming more efficient in terms of personal growth.

These games are all about tilling 3x3s. You can see how our RP has already taken a hefty dent from just this.

One must have water in their watering can to water crops. Unfortunately, this can only holds up to 12 tiles of water, which is annoyingly little given that watering crops is the job you have to do nearly every day. Trying to keep my crops close to the water will lessen the length of the refill trips, but the refill trips will be many.

Rune Factory 3 would go on to alleviate a good amount of the garbage tool blues by allowing the hoe to chain up to three swings and letting the player keep using the watering can as you walk, but this game provides no such luxury.

This thing is first on the list to be upgraded, for sure.

This is why we farm in 3x3s. All the seeds in the series up until RF4 are just thrown in a big circle around you.

We can walk through all of our crops in this game, so there's no need to leave some tiles out like in other Harvest Moon games. I can't begin to tell you how nice that is.

Ah, idyllic. Nothing like the sight of freshly sown soil.

Anyways, let's go bug some people.

If we head down the right path from our farm, we find Mist's house. It's safe to say Bush was very close to just finding Mist from the start last night.

MIST: Bush, are you using the "Return Magic" spell?

Ah, yes, random tutorial.

BUSH: Return magic?

MIST: Yes. It's a spell that returns you to where you can be at peace. Using this will instantly bring you back to your home.

MIST: It's a very nice spell that also takes you back to the entrance when using it in the dungeons.

BUSH: That sounds pretty convenient... How do I use it?

MIST: It's very simple. Just press the 2 Button and select "Return".

MIST: As long as you have this, you can easily escape even when surrounded by monsters!

MIST: Plus, it doesn't use any RP. Isn't thast great?

Get used to a bit of fourth wall breaking for a while as the tutorials persist.

BUSH: That sounds incredible.

MIST: But, sometimes it's unavailable for some reason.

A.K.A.: Plot reasons.

BUSH: What?! What if that happens when I'm fighting monsters?

MIST: Well there's that saying, "Only God knows."

BUSH: Oh, come on...

To be fair, the effects of this spell was split into two different ones in Rune Factory 1, so it'd actually make some sense that Bush doesn't know what it is. It's not even really a spell though, just a menu function, and we just kinda innately have it without actively learning or anything, so I don't really know what to tell you.

Anyways, I'm going to keep talking until she runs out of new stuff to say.

MIST: Good morning, Bush.

MIST: It's so warm.

MIST: The other day, I dreamt of climbing a giant beanstalk to get to Whale Island.

MIST: It would be wonderful if such a beanstalk actually existed.

Ah, that'll never happen, I'm sure.

A good number of lines in this game are actually voiced. Mist always draws her words out a bit long, sounding as if she's slightly high, which is basically in character for her. It hasn't shown itself fully, but "aloof and random" from the Relationships page is a pretty effective description of how she is.

Whether or not she's just airheaded or is actually a social mastermind, manipulating us strategically is up to you to decide. I'm just partially convinced she's smoking those turnips. Uh, you'll see what I mean later.

(I'm going to be saying that a lot aren't I.)

MIST: I like seeing people who work by the sweat of their brow.

Is it truly coincidence she's given us two different farms? Or are we her unwitting supply of turnips?

This is also her generic line that lets you know she's out of fun stuff to say. We'll be seeing this even into the late game, as conversations work a bit differently in this game than in the adjacent releases.

Regardless of Mist's true form, Stella's got a job for us and it begins a short quest chain to meet the other folks of Trampoli.

BUSH: What is it?

STELLA: I'm glad you could come. Can you do me a favor and take this Bamboo Shoot to Turner at the inn?

BUSH: To Turner at the inn?

STELLA: The inn is all the way west. It's right around the corner. The fat man there is Turner.

I feel like there's a better identifier you could use than just calling him "the fat man", but okay, Stella.

BUSH: All right.

You got Bamboo Shoot!

STELLA: Oh, and if you don't know where the inn is, just look at the map.

:
BUSH: The map?

STELLA: Press the 2 Button to look at the map at any time. It should help you a lot.

The map is useful at first, but mostly irrelevant once you know your way around town.

STELLA: There are maps in the village, too, so you should look at those, as well.

Lots of commas there. The maps in town just pull up the same map, so they're just slightly less convenient but more immersive I guess.

STELLA: I'm counting on you to get the "Bamboo Shoot" to Turner.

Here is said map. Finding your way around town isn't really hard in this game, it's finding the other people and memorizing their schedules that proves challenging.

To the left side of town we go! We'll fully explore everything later. I know I'm already going to have to cut this update a tad short thanks to all the dialogue and new content. Later updates will cover a lot more than this.

Music: Trampoli

(Another new track! This plays, hilariously, in less areas of the town than the seasonal theme does. It's also unaffected by season, so you'll be hearing this throughout the entire game.)

We finally enter Trampoli proper, though you'll find that the living density is barely higher than the other places we've been. Such is life in a small hamlet like Trampoli.

[Danny's Groceries] - Closed for preparations.

[Damascus] - Closed for preparations.

There's some buildings, but they're closed until we do the next part of the questline. At least "Groceries" is a better name than "PARTS". I feel like the blacksmith's sign might be nigh unreadable on older televisions, as this is being done with 2x native resolution.

To the "INN" we go then.

Music: Business District Buildings

UNKNOWN GIRL: Oh! Are you a customer?

Oh, hey, a new face!

UNKNOWN GIRL: Dad! We have a customer! Where are you, Dad?!

She quickly runs down the stairs.

UNKNOWN GIRL: I'm sorry for being so hasty.

I'm still unsure of what this means.

UNKNOWN GIRL: Well, umm...

UNKNOWN GIRL: W-welcome! Will you be staying? You are staying, right?!

UNKNOWN GIRL: U-umm... That'll be 100 Gold. Will you be staying?

----------------------------
1. No, I didn't come here fore that...
2. Yes, please.

With a sales pitch like that, how could I say no?

Yes, please.

BUSH: Uh, yes, please.

UNKNOWN GIRL: Thank you very much. Enjoy your stay.

Music: Goodnight

UNKNOWN GIRL: G-good morning.

UNKNOWN GIRL: ...

UNKNOWN GIRL: Um... I heard this from Mist yesterday...

UNKNOWN GIRL: You just moved in next to her, right?

UNKNOWN GIRL: You could have said something! Y-you're horrible..

BUSH: Sorry... I just couldn't bring myself to say it. I'm Bush. I just moved in next to Mist. Nice to meet you.

EUNICE: I'm Eunice. My family runs the inn. Nice to meet you, too.

Apparently Bush must have went to sleep immediately because it was just noon when I got here yesterday. Somehow these two didn't communicate this in all that time.

Also, yes, the game does take the 100g from you and change the day over. That's commitment to the joke right there.

And that's that. This update is getting a bit long, so I'll cut it here and we'll finish off the, uh, first day and the proper timeline next time.

In hindsight, maybe I really should've just put the opening FMV in a separate update.

...Nah.

But before we go, a word from our esteemed guest on today's lesson of Amnesic Agriculture 102:

EUNICE: I love sweets!

You heard it here first, folks.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 19, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Can’t wait to get a look at the diverse cast of characters and latch onto the weirdest one of the lot. Also, I’m impressed the joke choice actually mattered.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I put hundreds of hours into this game. I love it by and large.

It's a very slow paced game, and is one that doesn't tell you a lot and is much more exploration focused than RF3

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Can’t wait to get a look at the diverse cast of characters and latch onto the weirdest one of the lot. Also, I’m impressed the joke choice actually mattered.

Well, it's Rune Factory, so we're gonna have a quirky cast no matter what, even the first game managed it. Next update will be quite a flood of new characters, and they'll keep on showing up for quite a long while.

I love that they went through with the joke. Sure, it wastes the day and costs you early money, but I have only respect for them actually going through with it.

Dr Pepper posted:

I put hundreds of hours into this game. I love it by and large.

It's a very slow paced game, and is one that doesn't tell you a lot and is much more exploration focused than RF3

Oh, fantastic! I was hoping someone who thoroughly enjoyed this game would check into the thread at some point. Looking forward to what you've got to say as the LP moves forward, if you don't mind sharing.

It's definitely one of the slowest paced games in the series, but it definitely doesn't leave you with nothing to do like RF1 and RF2's 1st generation were prone to doing. It has a lot more room for letting you find your way around rather than being guided along, something RF3 admittedly battled with regularly thanks to the size limitations of the DS cart. 4.3 GB versus 128 MB offers a lot more, and I would've loved to see what RF3 could've been with that amount of room at it's disposal- it's safe to say this game knows how to use it.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 03: In Which The First Day Is Ended

(I forgot to comment on this track last time because I linked the track for the inn's nighttime theme. This one's nice, though it's very prone to you hearing just the opening bit as it plays in every building in this area.)

Right, last time we spent 100g on a inn stay we didn't need. Prepare the time paradox.

No, I didn't come here for that.

BUSH: No, I didn't come here to stay over.

BUSH: I'm Bush. I just moved in next to Mist, so I came to say hi.

That's not why we're here, but okay, sure. It's a better introduction than "I need to give a bamboo shoot to your dad".

EUNICE: Oh, really? I'm sorry I babbled on and on without knowing that.

EUNICE: I'm Eunice. My family runs the inn... But, I guess you can tell just by looking. Nice to meet you.

EUNICE: At night, the bar next to the inn will be open so please come whenever you feel like it.

That's about all she's got to say for now.

BUSH: It's a fireplace. The fire's dying down though.

You can also inspect some things in people's houses. Not that many things, but still. I'll show these off when I can find them.

Eunice- The innkeeper's daughter. Loves housework but suffers from her father's genes.

Here is Eunice's profile- she's one of our potential marriage candidates for the distant future. Every character has Friendship Points (FP) and Love Points (LP) designated by the smiley and the heart respectively. These numbers max out at 10, and the bar is the progress to the next point. You may notice that Mist is slightly starting to like us, presumably from the farm work we're doing.

Characters who you can't romance will never gain LP, but for whatever reason the profiles still show the bar. It should be mostly obvious who we can and cannot marry, but I'll point it out anyways. I'll get deeper into explaining the mechanics somewhere later, when we have time to focus on LP. Right now, we've got bamboo to deliver.

Up the stairs we go. There's a variety of rooms in here, though nobody's in them.

Going back downstairs, Turner is suddenly at the reception desk. He's a man of stealth.

TURNER: Hey. You must be bush. How do you do?

TURNER: Sorry if my Eunice caused you any trouble.

BUSH: Haha...

TURNER: I'm Turner, the owner of this inn.

BUSH: Hello.

BUSH: (Ah! Didn't Stella tell me to give Turner a Bamboo Shoot?)

Yeah, we should do that.

This is just a short bit to teach you that you can give people stuff. In the realms of Harvest Moon and Rune Factory, the best way to obtain friendship is bribery.

TURNER: It's from Stella, right? Thanks.

TURNER: Since it's on the way, can you call Ganesha the blacksmith for me? The forge is north of the inn.

The fetch quest continues. Before we go on with that, let's see what other stuff Turner has to say.

TURNER: Hi, Bush.

TURNER: Welcome. Does I look like I just stand around all day?

TURNER: I'm actually really busy. I organize the payment slips and listen to customer requests among other things.

...I don't see any customers, though. :smith:

Up the stairs again, we find this lady, already identified as Rita.

RITA: Are you new here?

BUSH: Nice to meet you. My name is Bush. I just moved here.

RITA: Oh, welcome then. I'm Rita. I'm hostess of this bar, "Snowstyle".

RITA: It's a bar but we also sell food. Come by if you feel like eating anything. The bar will be open at night.

RITA: But, you probably shouldn't drink Bush.

We can, in fact, purchase very expensive wine and drink it to no ill effects.

Rita can be found here on most days until the bar is open. She's Eunice's mother, though it leads one to wonder: which side gave her the green hair and purple eyes?

Anime genetics are complicated.

Eunice is usually found doing some sort of cleaning work around the inn. Today's laundry day, apparently.

Through the other door outside (or the other set of stairs on the second floor) is the tavern proper, but it doesn't open until late in the day. I'll remember to stop by here eventually, but it won't be for a few updates.

With that... fetch quest, away!

Nice place.

GANESHA: Are you new?

BUSH: Yes. I just moved here and my name is Bush.

Get used to Bush introducing himself for quite a while.

GANESHA: I'm Ganesha. As you can see, I'm a blacksmith.

So the RF series has elves, because fantasy! Every game in the series has had at least one, but they're not the only ones around with pointy ears. Ganesha's probably got the biggest ears in the series.

GANESHA: Ahahaha. What? You never saw an elven blacksmith before?

She is in fact, the only fully elven blacksmith I know of. Elves usually work in housekeeping industries in this series for some reason.

BUSH: Um, no. I guess..

GANESHA: You're an honest one. I like you.

GANESHA: Elven blacksmiths are rare, but I can recommend with confidence anything I sell!

GANESHA: I'm especially proud of the relief on the edge of this Shield...

BUSH: N-no, I'm not here to shop. I came here because Turner...

GANESHA: Turner? Oh, he must have chipped the blade on the kitchen knife again. I'll go later. He's so hopeless...

GANESHA: Bush, was it? Thanks for telling me. Just come to my store at any time.

GANESHA: Oh, can I ask you for something else?

The fetch quest continues.

BUSH: What is it?

GANESHA: Can you give Danny of the General Store the payment for my tab? The general store is right next to my place.

GANESHA: Thanks.

Said tab is 100g, apparently. Ganesha's cool though, so I'm not going to run off with the money.

The fetch quest can wait, Ganesha's too awesome for that.

It's worth noting that her default expression is actually the wink, and every time you start a conversation with her, she changes back to neutral.

GANESHA: I might not compare to dwarven blacksmiths in strength, but I can say with confidence that my detailed work is unequaled!

GANESHA: The selling points of my equipment are that they have both form and function.

GANESHA: That engraving on the edge of the blade is something that not all blacksmiths can do.

:hmmyes:

Ganesha sells basic weapons and element crystals. Her stock gets better later, but we'll definitely rely on those basic weapons if we ever want to be a blacksmith ourselves.

Here's a better look at her giant gently caress-off hammer that she swings pretty easily. So, about that "dwarven strength"...

Anyways, she also has a son, Marco, but he's hard to find so it takes me a bit to meet him.

Alas, we now resume the fetch quest.

Grocery shopping, away!

DANNY: A customer? You're not? What do you want? Who are you?

whoa slow down there

BUSH: H-hello. My name is Bush and I just moved here.

DANNY: Oh, so you're just making your rounds? I'm the owner of the general store and the name's Danny! Nice to meet you!

Given the poses of the characters, I always found it a bit odd that Danny just stares straight at us instead of having that sorta-3/4ths pose everyone else has.

BUSH: Nice to meet you, too. Mr. Danny.

DANNY: You don't need to call me that. Just "Danny" is fine.

DANNY: I'm the only general store in the village so even if you don't like it, don't complain!

I don't think that's how it works, Danny.

BUSH: Oh...

DANNY: What did you come to buy? Seeds? Accessories?

BUSH: No, I didn't come here to buy anything...

DANNY: You're not a customer? Then get out. I don't have time for window shoppers.

Not even giving us a chance to talk. Funnily enough, this is the most talkative he'll be all game- this isn't his quirk or anything. He usually has very little to say.

BUSH: No, I brought some money from Ganesha...

DANNY: Oh.

DANNY: One, two... Yup. All there.

BUSH: I'll be going now.

Bush is outta here. Let's go before he asks us to-

DANNY: Wait.

drat.

BUSH: Yes?

DANNY: You're going around greeting everyone, right?

Oh, here we go again

DANNY: Then can you go to Erik and do something for me?

BUSH: Again?

"Listen, mate, I didn't sign up for any of this nonsense"

DANNY: Again?

BUSH: Never mind. So, someone named Erik?

DANNY: Yeah. Erik lives in the house with a field straight south of here.

DANNY: Thanks. Oh, and buy something next time.

But, uh, what are we supposed to do about Erik, Danny?

DANNY: I got some seeds in stock so buy some.

Danny, you're not helping

DANNY: It's spring but it's still really cold.

wow, i didnt notice maybe you should close your pec window or whatever, now what am i supposed to do about erik

DANNY: This is so far into the countryside.

:argh:

Also, I have no idea what Ganesha bought here for 100g. The cooking oil is 260g, and the accessories are over 500g.

Did she buy 10 turnip seeds? :confused:

Also, yeah, turnip seeds cost 10g in this game. The market on those things just died apparently, as they were worth 200g or more in previous games. 10g is as much as a weed sells for.

Really.

Anyways, let's go see what Erik has to say.

This is just to the left of our farm. In fact, just a little south from here is the only entrance to Trampoli...

So in the intro, Bush went past these two houses, the empty homestead house, and then arbitrarily took a turn towards the church. Had he continued forward he would have found Mist's house.

Had he taken that turn left earlier, he would've ended up at the Snowstyle Inn or he could have asked the residents of these two houses about her.

seriously, Bush, how did you end up in front of the church of all things

Oh, hey, are you Erik?

Music: Kross' Theme

(This is a really nice theme, and plays basically any time you talk to this guy. I'm sure this has nothing to do with plot relevance! I like just humming along to this.)

SOFT SPOKEN GUY: Heh...

SOFT SPOKEN GUY: ...Are you new here?

BUSH: Nice to meet you. I just moved here and my name is Bush. And you are...?

SOFT SPOKEN GUY: You... don't need to know what my name is. The villagers always forget it anyway.

:smith:

BUSH: Um... Are you Kross? Hello.

KROSS: ...?! How do you know my name?!

BUSH: Huh? It's written on your mailbox.

BUSH: You really write your name with really cute letters, Kross.

KROSS: That isn't my writing. I'm sure the mailman just wrote it herself out of consideration.

KROSS: You should take a look inside your mailbox some time. It should be in front of your house.

KROSS: Heh... Now then, I should get back to work.

I should note that these are sighs rather than laughs. "Heh..." is just how they chose to represent it.

KROSS: Your name was Bush, was it? When you need some help, don't hesitate to ask. Just come to me when you want extensions.

1. I just came to chat.
2. I'd like to expand my house.

Kross is indeed our resident carpenter. He will be quite instrumental to our run-down farm fixer-upper operation. There's another guy we'll meet in a few days who will be the other major help.

KROSS: Hi. Oh, it's you.

KROSS: Answer me, tree stump. What is a house and what are extensions...

KROSS: Even if you break the stumps, a despairing tomorrow awaits you because you don't know when it can come back.

KROSS: Why, oh why, do I swing the axe...?

BUSH: That's a sad song...

KROSS: Heh... Yes. When I was young, a man I knew very well the man who wrote that song...

And anyone who has played RF1 or 2 knows the pain it speaks of.

KROSS: Did you know? No one wants to grow dead grass...

KROSS: Heh...

KROSS: But it always ends up like that. Nothing more, nothing less.

He has a number of these songs. Hell, a good portion of his dialogue are simply these. To avoid any more depression, let's see what it takes to upgrade our house some.

---------------------------------
1. I want to build a kitchen.
2. I want to build a laboratory.
3. I want to build a forge.
4. I want a bedroom.
5. Never mind.
---------------------------------

Sure, uh, kitchen. Why not?

----------------------
1. I'd like a Bulging Kitchen Area.
2. I'd like a Ba-Bump Kitchen Area.
3. I'd like a Pointy Kitchen Area.
4. Back.
----------------------

"Uh, what?" is probably the reaction most players have to this.

So, the extensions you add to your house are visible from the outside, and you can pick the style.

KROSS: The only difference between this kitchen area and others is the look, not function. So choose whichever you like.

KROSS: Let's see...

KROSS: You're gonna need 120 lumber and 10,000 gold. Are you all right with that?

Kross's costs are pretty cheap on the whole, which is a great relief coming from the terrifying grinds of RF1 and RF2. Still, ten grand is far out of our price range right now- we have only 500g.

KROSS: You don't have enough lumber. Don't worry. I'm sure you'll have enough soon.

Oh, that too. We, uh, won't have enough soon. We don't even have an axe.

Well, let's go to the other house and hopefully be done with this fetch quest business.

Music: Town Buildings

(This theme plays only in Erik's house, Mist's house, and the Rune Archives, a.k.a. the library I've skipped over for the moment. As result, you really don't hear much of it.)

That's a lot of vegetables.

ERIK: Hello, young man!

ERIK: I'm Erik and I run this farm. Nice to meet you!

BUSH: Nice to meet you. I'm Bush. I just moved in next door.

ERIK: Oh, in that house with the large field? If you need any advice about your field, you can ask me any time.

Yeah, Erik is the designated farming tutorial dispenser. I know how to play this game and I can explain it pretty simply, so we won't need his-

ERIK: W-what? Do I have a girlfriend?

ERIK: I can't tell you! Hahaha!

I... didn't ask.

BUSH: I didn't ask...

Hey, I already said that.

ERIK: Then why are you here?

BUSH: I have something from Danny... ...?

BUSH: ...Uh... I don't know what I'm supposed to ask you for...

This is true.

ERIK: You're quite young and immature for running off without hearing what to do, young man!

Hey, he wouldn't tell us! :argh:

ERIK: But I know the situation. The seed that he wanted has just arrived. Thank you for relaying the message.

What seed? More turnip seeds?

ERIK: Oh, right. I can share the crops I grow at my farm with you. Just ask.

Erik also sells stuff, primarily the seeds for vegetables other than turnips, although he sells those too. He sells some produce as well, just in case you're not feeling it when it comes to growing it yourself.

ERIK: If you want to know anything about farming, just ask me.

ERIK: W-what? Do I have a girlfriend?

Not this again...

BUSH: Give that a rest...

Even Bush is on my side with this one. Anyways, that's Erik's quirk. He's basically the same age as us, but thinks he's older than he is and is, uh... vocally insecure about not having a girlfriend.

ERIK: When the weather is good, the crops grow really well! The crops are so full of energy today!

Actually, outside of tornadoes messing up your field and rain watering your crops for free, the weather has no effect on crop growth. There's something else that does, but it's not weather.

Evidently, Erik doesn't know the mechanics of farming as well I do :smuggo:

ERIK: Young man! Crops in the field will wither at the end of a season! You must be careful!

ERIK: Then will crops not wither if they're grown where the season doesn't change? Where in the world would that be, then?!

Really not as far away as you think, actually. Crops withering at the end of the season is a classic farming sim mechanic that was only done away with in this series with the release of RF4, in which crops could care less if there's a blizzard as long as you've got enough compost.

This bit of dialogue is a reference to farming inside dungeons. It'll be another few updates before we get there, but be assured it's something we can do. It's a staple of the series to treat dungeons like greenhouses.

ERIK: There is an old legend that says turnips that go through another season become monsters and start trashing your field.

Unless said turnip monsters grow up into a girl named Mist who regularly gives us trashed fields, I don't believe it.

ERIK: But when morning comes, those monster turnips run out of strength and dry up.

ERIK: B-b-but I'm not scared of it at all.

Yeah sure, whatever. Erik might be slightly patronizing, but let's check out his stock.

Yeah, now this is the good stuff. Danny's store is even redundant because Erik sells turnip seeds here as well.

Although, it's worth noting that Erik doesn't spend all his time at the counter, so buying from him takes somewhat more precise timing over, say, Danny, but as this is the only means of getting these other seeds we just have to put up with it.

What I want to know is why there's no farmer's catalogue or something we can order our own seeds from instead of having to deal with the middleman here.

Also this place is bloody expensive, or rather, everything but turnips and fodder is expensive. Fodder seeds are the next cheapest at 30g a bag, with the next cheapest being strawberries at 200g.

Everything here pays for itself pretty well once it grows, and the plants that can be harvested multiple times can make us lots of money. If you put them where the season doesn't change, well, it's infinite money as long as you put up with watering them.

For now, I buy 3 more turnip seeds and 2 strawberry seeds. Strawberries will be useful in the coming days, and the turnips will make us a surprising amount of early cash.

With that, we're free from the introductory quest and have met everyone living in town except Marco: time to leave Erik to his non-existent love life and get back to farmin'.

...Nah, let's go explore a bit.

Nothing here looks out of the ordinary at all.

A branching path lets us head a little bit further up the mountain.

The path up the mountain branches again and leaves us a side area that has two trees and this empty flat area. These have uses, but it'll be a bit before either becomes relevant.

We can also hit 1 on the wiimote to look at the sky.

...That's it.

Back down a bit and following the initial path to the right brings us to Lake Poli. It's bigger than the business district, though it's not that big a lake.

There's also a free gondola here. We're not gonna mess around with it today, but it's how we get to those other bits of land. Anyways, let's go home and do that farming thing we're supposed to be doing or something.

Here's the Return spell in action- just compressing out of the universe must hurt a bit.

Back on the farm, there is much weeding to be done. Interestingly, you can make a surprising bit of early profit from just selling weeds. Actually growing something is far more profitable, but every gold piece matters right now.

Oh, and Mist has nothing to do for a good portion of her day so she comes and watches you work pretty regularly. She did this in RF1 as well.

If you like seeing us work so much, why don't you help? Or are you just here to oversee my contribution to your underground turnip operation? :tinfoil:

Here, look what I found.

MIST: Thank you, but don't give me your trash.

It's worth 10g! You can buy a whole bag of turnip seeds with that!

Unfortunately, if you give someone something that's not plot important, they will keep it even if they hate it. :argh:

Well, whatever. It's worth noting that my hoe can't even break these branches- they fully obstruct me from using this space for gardening right now. The same goes for those groups of little rocks that you see scattered about. The handheld releases just let you pick these up.

In practice it means our field will look terrible and completely unorganized in the early days.

I plant wherever I can for now.

To the left is our giant shipping box. You can either pull something out and put it in manually...

Or you can just move stuff straight from your inventory to and from it. The shipping box is not an all consuming beast in this game and will let you freely remove and add items to it.

Pretty convenient, really. It even tells you how much you'll make!

As I head back out to the field it hits 5:00.

Uh, why are we fading to white?

1. I was right next to the shipping bin, why are you suddenly coming from this direction, Bush?
2. Who is stealing my herbs and weeds I was shipping out?

BLONDE GIRL: I'm getting what's in the shipping box right now. Just a second.

Oh, neat, she's not stealing our weeds. If you were wondering who actually takes the stuff I'm selling, the game is ready to answer that and the answer isn't Danny.

Jokes aside, this event will trigger in the early game as long as you're near your shipping bin at around 5PM- it can even be triggered on the first day, as I've done here.

BLONDE GIRL: I can't sell your harvested crops unless I do this. I better come to collect it everyday.

With this, she closes the lid and turns around to face us.

BLONDE GIRL: Huh...?

ROSETTA: Oh! It's you, Bush! It's me, Rosetta, from the general store in the town you came from.

Returning characters, ahoy!

I don't think it's been specified how long Bush traveled to get here, but given that Rosetta can get here in one day and back, I don't think it's actually that far.

Which also means we've been gone from the town for like, two days at the most. Apparently Bush must have been quite reclusive to need an introduction like this.

That, or she thinks we have amnesia again. (It could also just be that I'm not supposed to trigger this event this early, but :ssh:)

ROSETTA: I was wondering where you disappeared off to. What are you doing here?

BUSH: I live here.

ROSETTA: Oh, really? I came to collect the items in the shipping box because I heard someone new had moved here.

ROSETTA: So it was you, Bush. You should have told me...

ROSETTA: So, what are you doing here?

You already asked that.

BUSH: Mist said she needed to do something here. She lives right next door.

ROSETTA: So you tagged along and now you're living together?!

ROSETTA: What is she doing here?

We're playing 20 questions at this point, aren't we?

BUSH: I don't know...

ROSETTA: *sigh...* I never know what she's thinking.

ROSETTA: You have to be more independent... *sigh* Forget about it.

ROSETTA: You have to "ship" your harvest crops to make money. Just put your crops in this "Shipping Box" and consider it shipped.

ROSETTA: I'll be here everyday at 5 in the afternoon to collect what's in the shipping box. So be sure to put it in here by then.

ROSETTA: Vegetables, minerals, dishes, fish, grass and even trees, can be shipped off.

ROSETTA: Well, I hope we'll get along.

The cutscene is over, but we can still chat her up as she figures out what to do with the weeds I put in the box.

BUSH: By the way, Rosetta.

ROSETTA: Yes?

BUSH: This village already has a general store. Do you have the time to be collecting the things in the shipping boxes?

ROSETTA: It's okay. You snooze, you lose, you know?

ROSETTA: You have to keep expanding your market.

This is Rosetta's main thing, she's basically entrepreneur extraordinaire. She's good at business, she knows marketing, and she knows capitalism. If there's money to be made, she'll make it. If there's a profitable opportunity, she'll take it.

ROSETTA: Does Mist come here every day?

Basically, yeah. She's still over there.

ROSETTA: Well, it's not like I care or anything.

:raise:

You sure about that?

ROSETTA: Go a bunch of crops and then ship it all out! I'll be waiting!

As in, waiting here? It's gonna take about 6 days for those turnips to grow or something like that.

I guess that's as good a cue as ever to get back to the farming. I prioritize getting the strawberries in the ground first so I can get maximum profit from them.

When you run out of RP, all of your actions start using your HP instead. Rune Factory games after this one apply a very high multipler, but they also had scaling RP and better ways to restore it so it not as bad as it sounds. In Frontier, we can just treat our HP like a reserve RP bar, but it's dangerous to forget that it's 1/5th the size presently. 15 RP isn't much, but 15 HP is a lot.

The only way to increase HP is by leveling up in combat and increasing our Vitality stat, and it's not a fast growth on either.

With poor Bush about to keel over from exhaustion for the second day in a row, I decide it's about time we hit the bed.

Music: Trampoli Daily Life

(I suppose a more appropriate title is Daily Life - Trampoli. This is a remix of the RF1 house theme named Daily Life.

It's a nice tune nonetheless, though you'll hear a lot of it during lengthy crafting sessions.)

It's only been about 200 screenshots since we recieved it, but we finally enter our house. It's pretty cozy in here and nowhere near as run-down as our field is.

We'll check out the house some other time- Bush needs his sleep.

See you next time, where we're finally not on the first day of the game. In fact, we get through 2 days!

Look forward to it!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 19, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I find it a bit odd that the general store owner Danny apparently lets people put their purchases on a tab. A turnip seed tab.

The classic chain of fetch quests leading you to meet everyone in town, of course. I'm guessing the other characters are spread out farther than town if that's everyone living there. There's a reason for the Frontier in the title surely, after all.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I find it a bit odd that the general store owner Danny apparently lets people put their purchases on a tab. A turnip seed tab.

The classic chain of fetch quests leading you to meet everyone in town, of course. I'm guessing the other characters are spread out farther than town if that's everyone living there. There's a reason for the Frontier in the title surely, after all.

There's like six houses, it's not as if he can't find them when it's time to pay up.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

you know those days you just ain't got the cash for the turnip seed

It's kinda interesting Frontier has this fetch quest, because the majority of the games don't really bother. RF3 does directly make you meet everyone, but there's no delivery chain or forced order involved. You just find 'em yourself.

As for the other characters, there's gonna be a pretty big influx of new characters over the next ten days. The place basically doubles in size.

That being said, we don't really ever leave the town, dungeons excluded.

Black Robe posted:

There's like six houses, it's not as if he can't find them when it's time to pay up.

He's the only general store in town, so don't complain about it either.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 04: Dirt Nap

*Someone knocking on our door*

Welcome back! Apparently someone needs our help at 6AM in the morning. It's probably Mist or something, but who knows?

Gotta finish putting those double layered gloves on first. Can't answer the door unless we look like we always do.

Oh, hey, mail.

I think it's entirely too early for Bush to be doing this, though part of it may just be him remembering that everything that happened yesterday was not an extended dream.

ANETTE: You have to fill out an application if you moved!

BUSH: I-I'm sorry.

By the way, those things next to her are woolies. They're like bipedal sheep with floppy ears and effectively the series mascot.

ANETTE: Never mind.

ANETTE: Here you go. I have some mail for you.

BUSH: Mail...?

Bush's only concept of mail is festival flyers stuffed in his mailbox from the town mayor sneaking out at midnight to advertise said festivals that everyone already knows about.

Kardia's an interesting place.

ANETTE: Yup. I'm Anette. I deliver the mail here in Trampoli.

ANETTE: And you?

BUSH: Oh... I'm Bush.

ANETTE: Oh. Nice to meet you, Bush.

And with that she runs off.

BUSH: Anette... So you're a mailman.

Wouldn't it be mailwoman?

BUSH: Oh right, I got some mail. Let's see...

-------------------------
Welcome.
Nice to meet you!
From Anette.

:3:

BUSH: ...Thanks very much, Anette.

Anette's the fourth of our potential romance options, and the answer to who actually delivers our mail. There's no post office in Trampoli, so she presumably comes from somewhere else.

This means she's only in town for a few hours after completing her mail route. That being said, she comes by our house at the same time (6:30 AM) every day, so it's really hard to miss a chance to talk to her. I will still somehow do this very often.

She won't start her route proper until tomorrow, so this is all we'll see of her today.

Our shrub farm has produced more natural bounty for us on this day. The colored herbs are a Harvest Moon staple "weed", but they happen to be useful for crafting medicines and what not. They heal really minor amounts of HP on their own if you're desperate.

That bright green plant is a Medicinal Herb which has sadly been nerfed from the strength of it's earlier incarnations. On it's own, it heals 7 HP, but they can be turned into much better potions later. Well... somewhat better potions later. They kinda nerfed medicine in general.

Stockpiling these will be beneficial in the long run, so I pick them up on sight.

As tilled ground just stays tilled, we only have to water our plants to maintain them. We shouldn't be as deathly tired today after handling our crops.

Right now, all of our crops are in the process of growing, as plants do, but the earliest visual state for any crop looks identical. So if you were applying fertilizer or something and forgot what was what, I guess it could be a problem.

Still got a number of seeds left over from yesterday, as I was barely able to get just the strawberries planted and watered without dying.

Farming is serious business.

Just as I finish planting the next set, it hits 9:00, so it's time to go chat up the town.

MIST: Growing crops in your fields and then shipping them out is one of the fundamentals of ranch life.

MIST: Good luck to you.

Alternatively, you can just ship other stuff. In previous games, there was a lot of money to be made that way. They did kinda nerf the hell out doing that for this game though. I guess making more money from mining in a farming sim partially defeats the purpose.

If you've been noticing all those weird floating lights everywhere, (and given how they photobomb half my screenshots you probably have,) well...

BUSH: Speaking of which...

BUSH: What are those red and yellow things floating around here?

MIST: Those are Runeys.

There aren't any Red runeys, so I don't know what Bush is on about. Maybe he means the purple ones?

It's likely another translation mishap, but if you want to headcanon that he's partially colorblind it's there.

BUSH: Runeys?

MIST: Yes. I don't understand it fully but they're supposed to gather around land that is thriving.

Don't worry, Mist, nobody does.

MIST: When crops become ripe, other lands produce "Rune Crystals," but here, they just turn into Runeys.

In all other RF games, crops produce these little floating blue or white spheres when fully grown. They're the actual 'runes' that the name of the series refers to, and restore RP when collected.

These runeys are part of the big controversial mechanic in this game, and as result didn't carry over to following games. Tides has sorta something like it, but it's different. Regardless, we won't have the means of doing anything with runeys until about Spring 10th.

For now, I'll just leave it at the mechanic is a weak analogue for soil fertility.

MIST: Some place that isn't part of the village, the dungeon for example, will yield Rune Crystals.

If you can tolerate heading into dungeons for all your farming, then I theorize you can just ignore these things. They'll still be turning every location into a crazy, smiley-faced lightshow though.

MIST: The Runeys look cute so I prefer them much more.

The majority of Frontier players disagree with this sentiment, I believe.

That's all she's got for us, so let's explore around a bit.

There is this field of overgrown jpeg grass to the south of her house. I'm sure this will never be relevant.

Up the path that runs north from her house is this little stream and a log bridge over it that doesn't look particularly stable.

If we keep following it, it leads to a spot somewhat behind the church and a path that links up with the main road..

Said spot behind the church has this giant tree that I'm sure will never be relevant.

BUSH: That's such a big clock tower. It doesn't seem to be working though.

To the right of the church and up the small hill is a broken clock tower.

We get a long, slowly panning shot of it to establish that it is indeed broken.

We're staring at this thing for half a minute, no joke.

Then Stella shows up.

STELLA: Isn't that a grand clock tower? This clock tower was here before I came to the village.

STELLA: But I've never seen it working, not even once. I had a lot of people look at it but it just won't work. You can't go inside right now, but it'll be opened after the cleanup is done.

----------------------------------
[Clock Tower]
Moving in on the 7th of spring.
Entrance is restricted at this time
due to move-in preparations.
----------------------------------

Well, at least they tell us when it opens.

There's also this completely ordinary plant nearby that I'm sure does nothing at all and will never be relevant.

Anyways, to the church!

STELLA: Are you an acquaintance of Mist? Looks like she has you at her beck and call.

i mean, she ain't wrong

also we already told you we knew her

BUSH: Haha...

STELLA: Some weird plants have been growing in front of the clock tower recently.

STELLA: No one planted any seeds, so I wonder what it is... Give it some water and I bet it'll grow even more.

Hey, I've got enough watering work to do as it is.

STELLA: Ahahaha, I'm kidding.

I'm not.

STELLA: You can ask me any time if you need anything.

STELLA: It's my job to maintain a peaceful life for everyone.

STELLA: What's up? Did you come to listen to a sermon?

BUSH: N-no... Maybe another time.

Every RF protagonist tries their hardest to dodge religion, and Bush is no exception.

BUSH: What a splendid organ.

It is rather impressive.

It took a bit of work to get that, actually. Now it's just an old memory.

Unfortunately, that's all she has to say about that right now. If you were interested in the storied history of this organ, I'm sorry, I guess.

Still ignoring the library until it's relevant. Won't be too long.

There's a rising staircase on the path between the Church District and the Business District. Up here's this big... amphitheatre? It's basically the town's square. If you stand near that funny rock in the center, you can hear someone singing.

Yeah, doesn't sound very plot important to me either.

DANNY: This is so far into the countryside.

Despite his incredibly talkative introduction, Danny rarely has much to say.

We can also go upstairs to his bedroom and he does not care. It's rather spartan, though it's not lacking in space.

Eunice is, uh, sweeping the pavement outside the inn.

EUNICE: Good morning, Bush.

EUNICE: The weather is good today so I hung the bedding out in the sun.

EUNICE: It feels really good to wash the laundry on days like this.

She doesn't have much going on in her life aside from housework.

EUNICE: We run an inn, but the bar is open at night so please come when you feel like it.

This line is voiced. There's your interesting bit of LP trivia for the day.

BUSH: Sure. I don't drink, but I'll take a look.

I'll remember to show it off eventually.

TURNER: Hey, Bush. Morning.

TURNER: Bush, why don't you stop over tonight? We'll drink until the sun comes up.

BUSH: Well...

I said I'd remember to show it off!

RITA: Good morning, Bush.

RITA: What's up? Is there something on my face?

Yeah, it's right underneath your eyes. Actually a lot of folks seem to have it, please explain

GANESHA: Good morning... You seem lively so early...

It's true, Bush wakes up with an unparalleled amount of energy every morning.

GANESHA: I wonder what weapon with what patten I should make this time...?

Generic lines!

BUSH: It's a weapons display case.

GANESHA: Whoa, hold on. I can't sell that one yet. It doesn't have Retornen cast on it. The weapon may be ready, but I can't sell something that doesn't have Retornen.

GANESHA: I'll move it back over to this shelf soon enough, so check back again later.

This is gonna get mentioned a decent bit, and explained more than once, so I'll go ahead and do it myself.

Retornen is a thing that keeps getting a slightly different name things due to translation, and it basically makes weapons not physically harm monsters. It just kinda boots them off this plane of existence and back to their world instead in a not really well explained manner. With this existing, monster slaying is family-friendly now.

Although, fun fact, previously established lore states that this handwavium magic has no effect on non-monsters and thus we can still beat each other up. I don't think it's ever said specifically what effect it has on half-monsters or mermaids, because this world has those. Also later lore establishes that everything made with materials in the place we live in has this automatically applied, so I guess Ganesha's got outsourced steel or something.

Rune Factory lore is massively convoluted!

Upstairs is kinda fancy.

Kross has a lot going on is his place, so we'll investigate it all at a later date.

hey man, I'm talking to you, please stop hitting me with your hoe

KROSS: Oh, it's you. Good morning...

KROSS: Rumor says that you have no memory of your past.

KROSS: Heh... Being able to forget your past is a good thing. It's always about how you view things.

I've definitely got stuff I'd like to forget.

Bush's plot amnesia wasn't really voluntary. Here's the entire plot of RF1 in a spoiler: he was kidnapped by the neighboring evil empire and given memory loss inducing magic drugs so he could be manipulated into using his Earthmate powers to awaken one of the four Dragon Gods so that said empire could weaponize it. Said Earthmate powers was just, uh, farming and fighting. No, seriously.

BUSH: It's a note... There re memos about crops written in it...

Erik has a memo on crops. This is all we get, we can't actually read said memo and steal our rival farmer's secrets.

ERIK: It feels refreshing when it's this sunny!

I don't like overcast days much myself, so I agree. Although I'd prioritize having a mild breeze over the sun. A hot day with still air is awful.

I'm not going to write up all of Erik's tutorial dialogue unless someone wants me to, but he will give you a free bag of turnip seeds for asking about how to plant seeds.

(I've been cutting out a little bit of other redundant tutorial dialogue as well in these updates :ssh: )

I guess I gotta get back to that farming thing, then.

Mist doesn't stare at you the entire time you're on the farm, sometimes she heads over here to do... something to these flowers in front of our house.

I get the rest of our seeds planted. Turnips sell for 210g a piece, so having this growing will be a big influx of cash.

Wait, no

Bush

don't do it

I...c-can't...

Bush? Bush?!

Buuuuuuush!

Oh hey, it's the infirmary so I guess we're fine. So, in early Rune Factory games there's no punishment for passing out-

You caught a cold.

drat. I guess sleeping face first in the dirt isn't the best for health.

Not only does the Cold status effect triple RP usage, we start the day with half HP and RP and at 10:00 AM. It's real rough, but I guess when knocking yourself out cold to start the day late was such a prevalent strategy in the first game you have to balance it somehow.

You could just let us pick when to wake up, Neverland Marvelous, that'd also work.

Starting the day at 10:00 AM may have it's advantages in previous games and in this one, but it also means we're highly unlikely to meet Anette on days like these. The church presently isn't staffed with a nurse, so er, we can't do anything about the cold either.

Alas.

STELLA: I heard that Mist is ill.

Hey, so am I.

BUSH: Really? Now I'm worried...

STELLA: It's really nothing serious, but can you go check up on her?

BUSH: Sure!

STELLA: How is the field? Is it a bit prettier now?

BUSH: Just a bit.

BUSH: I don't know what to do with the twigs and branches that are all over the field.

Yeah, I mean, we used to be able to pick those up by hand.

STELLA: Chopping up branches with an axe automatically turns it into lumber and stores it in the Lumber Shed.

BUSH: But I don't have an axe...

STELLA: Oh, really? Well you can use my axe.

You got Cheap Axe!

STELLA: I used it when I was younger so it's a bit old, but I'm sure it can break twigs with no problems.

STELLA: But you probably won't be able to do anything about the tree stumps. You might be able to if you had a better axe, but just leave it be for now.

If you're questioning why the nun has an axe, I'd at least say it makes more sense than getting it from the short, spoiled, rich girl in the first game.

Actually neither really makes any sense, but some later dialogue kinda explains it, I guess?

BUSH: Thank you very much.

But yeah, this is a nice get. You have to talk to Stella a decent bit each day to trigger this, and it's best to get it as early as possible. It's also best to upgrade it quickly as well as we'll want to get started on lumber collection early.

Oh, hey, we finally got a bamboo shoot in our field! Took it long enough. They're worth 110g, (20g less than they were in RF1,) so they help for some real early game income.

Mist isn't watering her plants like usual, so I guess we'll have to go inside.

BUSH: A frying pan... I wonder if Mist cooks.

Don't know why you're getting red in the face about that, maybe it's just the cold.

Seems to be happening for her, at least.

BUSH: Mist, are you okay?

MIST: It's just a cold. I'll be fine with a little rest.

MIST: There's this old wives' tale that infecting someone with your cold will make you better.

1. please dont do this
2. Bush already has a cold.
3. Did you sleep face first on the ground like we did?

BUSH: Uh... Bye now...

Yeah, let's get out of here before she-

BUSH: This is Mist's bed...

1. I should go to sleep.
2. I still have things to do.
---------------------------

:stare:

what

MIST: Bush, you seem very interested in my stuff.

oh no

So, Bush can inspect the beds in everyone's house and get a yes/no prompt in a similar manner, but nothing ever happens regardless of choice. If the characters are in the area at the time, they'll react to you looking at it.

Mist's interaction trigger while in her bed isn't large enough to block you from interacting with it if you angle yourself right, creating this... suggestive situation.

Also, Mist is not a good role model.

Stunned by these events, Bush goes to investigate the empty plot of land to the upper right of his farm. This is where our barn goes when we make one. It's rather cheap to make, it's just that it's low priority right now since we haven't even seen a monster. :v:

Since it's past 9:00 already, I head out to chat up the town. I'm not getting much farming done today.

DANNY: The weather is so nice. I want to go outside!

Then why don't you?

BUSH: Ganesha, do you do maintenance work on farming tools?

GANESHA: I do, but I don't recommend it.

BUSH: Why is that?

GANESHA: Farming tools are the tools of your own trade. I think it's best for you to maintain those things on your own.

GANESHA: Well, but there are people like Turner who get me to sharpen his kitchen knives.

GANESHA: But in truth, I want them to do it themselves.

BUSH: No... If that's the case, then I'll try to do it on my own.

GANESHA: Good boy! Then let me give a gift to our fledgling craftsman.

You got Farming Companion

GANESHA: With this recipe, you can care for your farming tools easily.

GANESHA: And about forging... every week during holidays, a peddler called Lute comes to the square to sell things. You can buy some simple blacksmith equipment from Lute.

GANESHA: After you buy the equipment, just keep trying until you get it right.

BUSH: I'll try.

Ganesha's not in it for the money, she's in it to spread the trade :cool:

That being said, Ganesha obviously won't upgrade your tools for you, (an option that hasn't been available since RF1,) which is why obtaining a decent amount of cash to buy a forge is our top priority.

GANESHA: That one's used by Noradian Knights. I think it may be too heavy for you, Bush.

Norad is the name of the kingdom we live in, and it's suggested by RF1's ending that Bush was part of its high ranking group of knights or something.

No helmet for us for now though. I don't think we ever get any real armor :(

That's Marco down there on the lower center of the screen. I didn't notice I'd walked past him until I looked at this recording. Usually he's over at the stove if he's in the house.

Sorry, Marco. I meet you tomorrow, I think.

EUNICE: I'm thinking of some new dishes to make for the guests at the inn. I wonder what I should make.

Hey, new line. And it's fully voiced!

There's more to Eunice than this, but I'm not going to lie and say that housework isn't going to be a big part of her character.

TURNER: How do you like Trampoli? I hope you like it here.

TURNER: This is a nice village. I think you'll like this place a lot.

Well, I got sick when I took a nap in the dirt, but then again I think that'd happen anywhere so it's not really a point against the place.

TURNER: I guess the villagers have no use for an inn.

TURNER: But we can be the entrance of the village to welcome anyone from the outside.

It might help if you were a little closer to the actual entrance of the village, but sure.

TURNER: In order for the village to have a good impression of you, you have to keep communicating with the villagers.

Already on it, my man. Haven't got much else to do just yet, though I know that's going to change in a few updates.

RITA: Are you cooking on your own?

BUSH: No. I don't have any tools to cook at home...

In fact, Bush hasn't eaten anything since he came to Trampoli!

RITA: Oh, really? Why not buy some from Lute, then?

RITA: He's a travelling peddler that comes once a week. Why don't you try going to the square during the day on holidays.

RITA: He'll be a guy in weird clothes pushing a cart. Not only does he sell cooking utensils, there's a lot of other stuff that's worth a look.

BUSH: But I've never cooked before...

RITA: Perfect opportunity then. Take that as your chance to start. You can have this. There are some simple recipes in it.

You got Quick-step Cook!

Another early game recipe book for us!

RITA: Just stick with the recipe and you can make pretty good dishes.

BUSH: Thank you so much for everything.

RITA: Don't mention it.

Never gonna complain about free recipe books. Food is actually good in this game, even a mere pickled turnip can easily be made to restore 100 RP.

Kross was on his rooftop as I passed by, so I didn't have the chance to talk to him. You just can't interact with him at all while he's up there.

It's highly serious work, I hope you understand.

Erik tells us how to use an axe, mostly saying the same stuff as Stella more or less. Running into repeat tutorials when you already know the game can be a bit annoying, but it's nice that they exist if I'm honest.

Communications with the Wii Remote have been interrupted.

The runeys are dead from lack of bluetooth signal, apparently.

I don't remember what I was doing here, but Dolphin got left idle long enough for this to happen.

ERIK: Young man! You seem to be tilling the fields with so much vigor. That's fine and dandy.

Yes, with so much vigor I fall unconscious!

ERIK: All right! In recognition of your effort, let me give you a farming tool as a gift!

ERIK: This "Cheap Sickle" will help you weed your fields without having to pluck them out one by one.

But if we do that, we can't sell the weeds for profit!

You got Cheap Sickle!

ERIK: No need to thank me! But I do understand if you want to tell all the girls in the village about what a nice guy I am!

There are two girls our age who live in the village, Erik. Two.

Anyways, getting the sickle here is the same deal as getting the axe from Stella, just talk to him a decent bit each day until he gives it to you.

The sickle's really only useful for cutting fodder, but it can make a decent weapon at some upgrade levels.

Well, time to do as much work as I can without passing out. It'd sure be nice if past me remembered that the bar exists and I could get some food from it, but spoiler, that doesn't happen.

Yep, that's all I can manage to do! Unfortunately, if the disorganized nature of my planting was bothering you, now we'll have to both deal with the fact that two strawberry plants will always be a day behind until the end of spring.

The bamboo shoots should make me some money though. It's not much, but it's something.

Later on, I won't need to do this as I'm going to be struggling to get done with everything before midnight on some days. The game does sound hilarious when sped up, but maybe I'm just easily entertained.

For now, I stand and look wistfully at the stream this impenentrable fence and double bush combo blocks me from, making my watering route longer.

"Rosetta: Her words may sting at times, but she is always hard at work."

At some point, I remembered to show off these profiles.

The pink loafers go with her pink... eyes? Is that normal? Should we be worried, or is that just something that happens when Capitalism runs through your veins?

"Anette: The ever energetic mail delivery girl. Has a problem of being chased by monsters."

I don't really know if the monster thing ever comes up again. Hell, we never see those three woolies again. :(

"Rita: Tavern Master. Rumored to be the biggest drinker in town."

Now that's a pose.

She's also one of the few characters that actually have one outside of the "generic stand"!

"Erik: A farmer in Trampoli. Always calls Bush a young man, but he is, too."

At first I was asking myself "what kind of weird shirt does he have tied around his waist" but then I realized it's actually overalls.

Dude, you're wearing a lot of layers for working by the sweat of your brow.

"Ganesha: The owner of Damascus Forge. A rare but skilled elven smithy, with many fans."

Still love that giant hammer.

"Ganesha- Runs a grocery store. There seems to be a deep reason why he came to this town."

As deep as the front cut in his shirt?

"Kross: You may not have noticed him, but he lives next door to Erik. A skilled carpenter."[/b]

No, I noticed him.

Around this time I realize I can just collect weeds while I wait.

Rosetta only shows up at 5, and if you want to see her daily event, you have to wait until 5:30 PM.

Believe it or not, this is not the latest in the day we'll have to wait just to talk to a girl.

Music: By the Ocean

(I don't remember ever hearing this theme at the beach, only here. It probably does play there.)

ROSETTA: Good evening!

ROSETTA: I'm here to pick up the items for today. If I didn't do this, neither of us would make any money.

ROSETTA: Omph.

She just throws that lid open.

ROSETTA: Let's see...

And digs around for a bit. Through the, um, 2 bamboo shoots.

ROSETTA: Oh...

ROSETTA: The items I'm picking up today really make my work worthwhile.

She has special responses for shipping certain items, this is just the line you'll see otherwise.

*kaching*

ROSETTA: *phew* Done. Now you, me, and my customers will all be happy.

ROSETTA: I'll be back tomorrow. Be sure to fill up the shipping box with crops before then.

That depends on what you consider a crop. Do you take random grass? I value it at 10g per handful.

ROSETTA: Mist and I are childhood friends, but I always feel like competing with her. I wonder why?

This is established in the first game, but never properly explained as to why. We'll get to see some of this later.

Mist is too oblivious to notice, or perhaps is just playing Rosetta like she's playing us all :tinfoil:

ROSETTA: It's getting a lot warmer in the morning and night now. Thanks to that, doing my rounds is much easier.

Just screenshotted this to reiterate that it takes her 30 minutes to walk from the bridge to our shipping box.

ROSETTA: I'll come to pick up the merchandise at 5pm every day. Be sure fill up your shipping box before then.

ROSETTA: I recommend cabbage and strawberries during spring. Strawberries are good because they can bear multiple crops.

ROSETTA: All you need to do is wait a while after harvesting. After some time, you'll be able to harvest them again.

ROSETTA: You don't even have to sow seeds again so it's cost efficient.

They also happen to be a preferred gift of hers. Not favorite, that'd be too easy, but just a liked gift. In fact, 2 other candidates and another non-candidate also like strawberries so they're a good crop to grow.

With that done, I'd say Bush is bushed. Time to hit the hay.

Another day, but luckily our cold is cured and we're back at full.

Yes, I did spend most of yesterday talking to the town while sick, after telling Mist to not give her colds to other people. I'm sure this won't come back to bite me at all.

No, seriously. Colds aren't actually contagious in this world, and an instant remedy is already known.

Time for a brand new-

wait why is there a cutscene

BUSH: Huh...? Everything... is spinning...

:ohdear:

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 19, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well that was a short game. Interesting though, shame about the protagonist dieing so soon

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Yep, still firmly in the setup phase of the game, it seems.

I actually didn't know that factoid about Retornen being the specific thing that bashes monsters back to their own world. And why would Genesha outsource weapons that don't have that particular enchantment at all? Unless she's plotting something..

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ah, another victim of Sudden Anime Death Syndrome. Alas.

Welp, time to pick up the watering can and axe, Mist. Chop chop.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Slaan posted:

Well that was a short game. Interesting though, shame about the protagonist dieing so soon

yeah, a real shame, I was starting to like this game

LP not over yet though, got some bonus content to show

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Ah, another victim of Sudden Anime Death Syndrome. Alas.

Welp, time to pick up the watering can and axe, Mist. Chop chop.

She was the one that said giving us the illness would cure hers,

Yep, still firmly in the setup phase of the game, it seems.

I actually didn't know that factoid about Retornen being the specific thing that bashes monsters back to their own world. And why would Genesha outsource weapons that don't have that particular enchantment at all? Unless she's plotting something..

It'll be said in the next update, but yeah, this game has a long setup phase. I can technically make more progress than I have been, but I'm really waiting on having the first sets of crafting tools and, well, money at all.

Retornen's an easily forgotten detail, as they usually mention it once or twice at the beginning of a Rune Factory game and then never again. Don't know why Ganesha has those weapons, but it could be part of Mist's dark plot :tinfoil:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We need to bang the muscle elf milf, this is my vote.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rody One Half posted:

She is not one of the Bachelorettes :smith:

Greatest flaw in the game imo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Then why are we EVEN HERE?!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Clearly Mist is some sort of mastermind who tricks her friends into doing difficult manual labor while she gets to lounge around all day and eat free turnips.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Rody One Half posted:

Dr Pepper posted:

She is not one of the Bachelorettes :smith:

Greatest flaw in the game imo.

Ganesha has had "the childrens", and is this defined by the rules of Anime Dating Conventions as being immensely out of our league and forever ineligible.

She is undeniably one of the best characters, and it is indeed the greatest flaw this game has. If it's any consolation, I will get her FP up to max by the end of this LP.

So far, Mist, Rosetta, Eunice, and Anette are the only options present. This number will increase rapidly, up to a maximum of 12- two more join next update, even.

But none of them are ever Ganesha :smith:

megane posted:

Clearly Mist is some sort of mastermind who tricks her friends into doing difficult manual labor while she gets to lounge around all day and eat free turnips.

Her wit and guile is extraordinary, and she plays everyone she meets. Even if Bush found out, nobody would believe him.

Hell, she's capable of warping reality in RF4 and permanently changing your name. :tinfoil:

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 17, 2021

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rune Factory Oceans having a dark elf glasses maid was, I suppose, intended as some sort of apology

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 05: Dirt Is Magnetic to Faces - A Theory

Welcome back, all. Now where were we?

Oh. Right.

Well, this sure is a sight to disrupt a nice morning walk.

Music: Pinch

It seems like this unknown nun is here to save us. Thank the undefined god/s!

lizard

*Morning birds chirping*

*Also these curtains sound like wind chimes for some reason*

Well, she done saved us. Is she Mist 2 now?

BUSH: Y-you're...

LARA: Bush! You really need to hold back! You might die next time!

Well, no. This is a familiar face for a lot of people who played Rune Factory 1.

STELLA: Lara came over just to work as a nun.

STELLA: But she's also a licensed nurse.

Lara was the nurse in Kardia, (the town, Bush, Mist, and Rosetta are from,) but is also a nun. If you abused passing out in RF1, you're probably used to seeing her face and hearing her voice line for "take care".

Had I not passed out on the day I met Anette, there's a bit of foreshadowing for this in the form of a letter from Wesley, (Lara's father and Kardia's priest), if you wait by the church on Spring 4th.

LARA: It's fortunate that you're fine, but you need to take better care of yourself.

BUSH: I'm sorry...

BUSH: You can go home for today, but please be more careful ths time.

Bush has ended up apologizing to most of the girls he's met at this point.

And with that, we're unceremoniously dumped outside the clinic at 6:00 AM like nothing happened. Lara's intro is really short and kind of stilted. It always happens the day after Mist falls sick, which is always Spring 04. Me being sick the day before was entirely planned to add onto the narrative presented by the game.

It was not a coincidental mistake I just rolled with, I assure you.

But the church isn't closed, and it being a Thursday, we can find Lara praying.

...As result, we can interrupt her prayers with zero respect to anything but my need for content.

LARA: I asked Sister Stella if I could stay in this village a little longer.

BUSH: Oh...? But why?

LARA: It's because you're so reckless, Bush! You're the first patient that has gotten me this worried!

BUSH: I'm sorry.

LARA: Never mind... Just please don't make me worry about you so much.

Lara is able smile at us while angry- a terrifying combination. In her transition to this game, she's gotten somewhat more pushy than she was before. She remains very polite nonetheless.

Presumably, she was here for just a short visit, but in finding us again in a state of face-to-dirt, she quickly negotiated more time to stay here so that we don't get ourselves killed. Overworking ourself and passing out is regularly canon for Raguna Bush, apparently.

...Yet Bush isn't so nearly reverently thankful to her as he is to Mist.

Well, luckily for Lara, I don't plan on getting knocked out any more.

LARA: There is no doctor in this village, so while I train to be a sister...

LARA: I'm also trying to maintain everyone's health as a nurse.

LARA: Please be quiet in the church.

This is a nice way of telling us to go away.

Erik is also here.

ERIK: Ah! It's the young agricultualist! Have you been using your sickle?

We've never equipped it- I won't equip it for a few weeks, really. After this he just reiterates what he's already told us about using it.

Just wanted to note that your shadow is affected by the time of the day, if you haven't noticed. It's a small detail, but rather neat.

I burn a little time on the farm, so this can happen. Anette's here!

ANETTE: Bush! Good morning!

ANETTE: You have to respond before they all start piling up.

After putting the letter in, she stops and waves at us, triggering this short little dialogue. If you catch her before she makes it to your box, you can also ask for your letters personally.

ANETTE: Hey, good morning! Bush, did you read your letters?

BUSH: Yes. Thank you for that wonderful letter.

ANETTE: I deliver mail every morning from both villagers and outsiders.

ANETTE: You can put your mail on the table at home and read it later when you have time.

ANETTE: Also, if you have something you want to send, just bring it to me.

BUSH: Okay.

ANETTE: I'm still making my rounds so I have to go. Bye!

An even more fun thing is that Anette's mail route happens in full in every day.

Also she runs fast. She breaks the sound barrier when starting up, and leaves dust trails behind her the entire time. On slowing down, she sends up sparks.

Forget mail vans, here's just calves of steel.

:allears:

-----------------------------------------------------
~"I have a favor to ask of you." - Erik~

It looks as if you have tilled your farm quite nicely.
Well, young man, I have a favor to ask you.
I am in dire need of a Turnip. If you have any, hand it to Anette
during her rounds, and she'll deliver it to me.
I'll give you something in return for your service, of course.

~"We're neighbors again!" - Mist~

Good morning, Bush.
Or is it good evening...?
Maybe just a hello?
Ahaha, it's kinda hard to tell time when you talk through letters.
So weird.
Anyway, keep in touch.

Like a fool, past me checks my mail instead of doing the more fun thing here, which is following Anette through her entire mail route. There's short dialogues at everyone's mailboxes, and she's not as hard to keep up with as you think.

Alas. I get around to it tomorrow.

In regards to the letters, Erik wants a turnip from us, and Mist is being Mist.

While doing the farming thing, I notice that I have collected 41 weeds.

That is all.

The farm is in varying states of growth thanks to yesterday, so if you were already bothered by the arrangement, you can be even more bothered.

You're welcome.

When it hits 9:00, I stop farming and go about and do that talking thing.

MIST: Good luck with your farm. The more crops you grow the more fertile the earth will get and the more Spirits will gather.

This does happen, but it's not as good as the other options involving runeys. This is pretty much the only interesting thing Mist said today, so it's off to other places.

Hey, look, it's Marco! I finally found you!

MARCO: I've never seen you before... Who are you?!

Reasonable response.

1. I moved here recently.
2. I came to kidnap you!

:stonk:

Yeah, I don't even know what to say here. I do know that's one conversation branch I'm not going down.

MARCO: Oh, so you're the guy that moved in next door to Mist. That girl is so weird, don't you think?

Correct on both accounts there, Marco.

MARCO: I'm Marco. My mom is the blacksmith here.

BUSH: I'm Bush. Nice to meet you Marco.

Nice to meet you too!

You didn't think we were gonna get through an update without Bush introducing himself, did you?

MARCO: Let's fight some other time. I think I'e gotten a lot stronger so I think I can take you on!

Marco's whole thing is he wants to grow up to be a swordsman and adventurer- that second dialogue branch is likely the option that says more about that and explains this bit of otherwise random daily dialogue. For all I know, this whole thing could just be another translation mishap, but... just, no.

To rewrite this with little effort, I'd append something like "Who are you- friend or foe!?" and make the options those two choices. There's a lot more you could do to expand Marco's intro (and Lara's, for that matter,) but I'm not here to rewrite the game.

Anyways. Marco is cool, just kind of hard to find without checking a character schedule guide. Unlike Roy from RF2, he appreciates his cool blacksmith mom and is therefore leagues more cool.

-----------------------------------------
*Changing Room*

Please keep the changing room clean.

-----------------------------------------

Before we leave the beach, I will note that this is the first Rune Factory to actually feature swimsuits and stuff, but that's for the Summer season, not now.

Now that it's normal opening time, Lara is in the clinic. She has the classic "cure all my status effects for some cash" option, as well as an outright store where she sells some basic medicines and oddly, chemicals to boost crop growth speed.

EUNICE: The bar is open at night so please come during then.

I promise you, game, I will do this.

...It just takes me almost another in-game week to do so.

DANNY: What's up, Bush?

DANNY: What do you want?

BUSH: How is your store, Danny?

DANNY: Hm? Yeah, business is fine. There's only one general store, so it's a guaranteed profit even if there are only a few customers.

That's... that's not exactly how profit works, Danny.

I accidentally water the floor of the inn. It's not the first time- I end up doing this a lot all across Trampoli, and it costs me RP every time because I keep forgetting to unequip the watering can.

TURNER: I recommend going to Lake Poli when it's sunny. Now all that's left is to wait for guests I can guide there.

It ends up reminding Turner of Lake Poli, and he gives us a recommendation of it. We can head there whenever we feel like it.

RITA: We have such nice weather today. Eunice is getting carried away with the laundry, so I better keep up, too.

I would like to note that I never see Rita doing anything. She's either here, or at the spot just above the stairs.

KROSS: Oh, it's you. Good morning.

KROSS: I don't really like it when it's so sunny. Heh....

KROSS: The sunlight is so cruel. It shines upon all the beautiful things as well as the dirty things. Don't you think so?

KROSS: Oh please tell me, monsters. Where, oh where, have the lovely monsters gone?

KROSS: Aren't there any monsters I can relate to...

KROSS: ...where I want to stick a blue rose into their fluffy fur...?

BUSH: That sounds like a very sad song...

KROSS: Heh... Yes... There used to be monsters in the village and we all lived in harmony.

Daily dose of sad songs. Seems like Trampoli underwent some large change at some point.

Checking out Lake Poli happens to have an interesting bonus today.

LUTE: Hi there. You're a new face, aren't you?

LUTE: Um, are you from this village?

BUSH: Yes. I just moved here and my name is Bush.

LUTE: Nice to meet you. I'm a traveling painter and my name is Lute.

LUTE: But I'm still a fledgling painter so I'm also a peddler on the side.

Lute's our resident, or non-resident rather, traveling merchant. He's much more like Ivan from RF1 than Yue from RF2, as he just sells utensils and furniture. He's also similarly absent- he only shows up to sell stuff at the amphitheater place on weekends. He's likely to be here on Thursdays as well, but he doesn't carry any merchandise as he's just here to paint.

BUSH: Oh really? What kind of paintings do you do, Lute?

LUTE: I paint all kinds of scenery. I think it's fate that we met here, Bush!

LUTE: Tell me if you need anything!

I don't believe we can buy any paintings until we get a house expansion, which is unfortunate, but his other merchandise will be must-haves as time goes on. Regardless, he's a cool guy, and I really like him in spite of how little we see him.

LUTE: I want to make a living by painting but things never go the way you want them to.

1. I'm sure you can do it, Lute.
2. I'm sure it'll be hard.

Oh hey, a dialogue choice!

--------------------------
I'm sure it'll be hard.

LUTE: If you say so. I guess I may have some talent in me.

That was... brief. Anyways, he's chill and I'd rather support his efforts.

I'm sure you can do it, Lute.

LUTE: Really? If you say so, it makes me feel like it can come true.

LUTE: I'm thankful you're saying that, but...

LUTE: Can you buy my paintings?!

I don't think he gets much business, and unfortunately it will be quite some time before we can buy said paintings. :(

I get on the gondola for a bit, and it controls pretty simply: left and right make you start turning, forward makes you go forward. You hit B or swing the remote to speed up, which then goes on a brief cooldown. The strength of the speed boost is dependent on some timing that's a bit hard to explain.

I guess it's almost more of an audio cue with the water splashing.

Suddenly, this is Animal Crossing and we have cartoon cherries high up in a tree. This row of trees and those two back on the mountain path all bear seasonal fruit, but we currently lack the way to make them fall.

So, uh, back to the farm I guess.

Having finished everything to do on the farm by 1 PM, I spend the rest of my RP and HP on another particularly important activity: cutting lumber.

Bush is particularly aggressive in both visibly and audibly with the axe in this game, having rather pronounced battle cries of "hyuh!" and "yuuugh!" with each swing. They're the same has the larger weapon sound bites, and while it may get tiring, I usually kinda find it hilarious that he's going around just smiting these branches out of existence.

Also, yes, the axe has a gigantic blade on it because while they may have downsized the hoes to be really thin, they kept the comically oversized axes and hammers from the DS games.

Honestly, I wish I had kept all those weeds- it was starting to be quite the collection.

Curse your lack of foresight, past me! :argh:

"Marco- Ganesha's son. Still a child but trains hard to become a great fighter."

Some more profiles while I'm at it. I think it would've been neat if you got to see Marco swinging his sword around.

"Lute- A painter and a peddler. Dreams to one day become a renown painter."

Lute's got a hell of a look going on.

"Lara- The nurse/sister at the church. Nice to everyone but tends to worry a bit too much."

And here's an odd angle of Lara because I forgot to wait around long enough.

I did wait around for Rosetta's daily event again.

ROSETTA: Oh...

Music: Sadness/Resolve

ROSETTA: Jeez... You're shipping out weeds again...

Part of the reason why I sold the weeds was to see this line. Supposedly this makes her dislike you, but it only went up for me.

Guess that's a myth debunked. :smug:

Ah, a new day. I'll eventually be able to start going more than two days at a time, I swear.

It'll still take a long time to get there though.

Here's that farming guide I mentioned in some previous update. I'm not going to go through it all, just showing that it's here at the bookshelf by the chest.

Well, time to go outside-

what is with the dirt in this place, and why are faces magnetic to it

BUSH: !!

BUSH: Ah! Someone collapsed!

BUSH: Are you all right?

For some reason, we needed a fade to black to move 4 steps.

UNKNOWN GIRL: Ugh...

BUSH: Thank goodness... Looks like she's still conscious.

UNKNOWN GIRL: W... Water...

Bush obliges in the only way he knows how as a farmer.

UNKNOWN GIRL: N-no... Not that kind of water...

UNKNOWN GIRL: Are you doing this on purpose?

:haw:

BUSH: I better hurry up and get Lara!

BUSH: Lara! Someone is passed out in front of my house!

LARA: That's terrible! Let's go right away!

Untrained in the art of rescuing people lacking food and water, despite having been through it himself once before, we need the aid of the local nurse nun. Nunse? Nurnse?

UNKNOWN GIRL: Huh...

One more fade to black later and we seem to have rescued her.

This act being done, I can only wonder if we can now pawn off our farm and house on her.

LARA: Are you all right? Do you know your name?

SELPHY: I'm Selphius Josephi... Selphy.

SELPHY: I'm Selphy. Where am I?

LARA: This is the infirmary of Trampoli. You were found collapsed on the ground and were brought here.

SELPHY: Right... I ran away... I mean, I was traveling and hadn't eaten anything in a long time.

SELPHY: I guess not eating for a week will do that to you. I better write that down somewhere.

Hey, Bush hasn't eaten anything in a week either now that I think about it. Maybe we've got a lot more in common than I thought.

BUSH: A week?!

LARA: You really didn't eat for a week?

SELPHY: Yeah, I often forget to eat! But one week is certainly a first for me. Hahaha!

Selphy thinks this is funny.

(This wasn't even playing until just now. I think Lara might trigger this more often than the story will.)

LARA: This is no laughing matter!

Lara disagrees. Heavily.

LARA: I'll be keeping you here over tonight!

LARA: Starting tomorrow, you'll be staying in this village to recuperate.

Well, looks like the town population just increased by one.

SELPHY: Seriously? That sounds like a real pain in the...

LARA: Did you say something?

SELPHY: N-nothing...

LARA: Good morning, Bush.

LARA: If you get sick or poisoned, please come to me.

I like to think this is the first time she's had to give a proper greeting, and everything this morning was a mad dash. It's a pretty Lara thing to do.

LARA: Why are you walking around in that state?! Please get some rest right now! This is an order to you from your nurse!

I presume this is aimed at the new girl and not us.

SELPHY: So you're Bush?

SELPHY: Thanks for saving me. I really thought I was going to die. Actually, I was dying.

SELPHY: Ahahaha.

SELPHY: Th-thanks... This is a really weird present...

Okay, maybe we don't have as much in common as I thought.

Alternate Timeline

BUSH: If I give a gift without saying hi first, it would seem weird.

The game apparently has a prompt for trying to gift someone something before properly meeting them. It makes sense, yet it remains rather peculiar to me.

Unfortunately, this is all we get out of her today. Her proper introduction is tomorrow, but it's safe to say she's an interesting one.

While we don't get to see any more of Selphy, we can see a lot more of Anette today. I was late in getting here because I still had to run from the church, (and I forgot to Return to save time,) so we won't see a comment on Erik's house, but we'll get to start with Kross.

Music: Title Theme

Kross's theme does play here and is good as always, but instead of re-linking the tracks, have one we don't hear very often.

ANETTE: Oh? Was the address written wrong? Who lives here again?

ANETTE: Let's see... Um... I got it! It's "Kross"! Silly me! I even wrote his name on the mailbox so I wouldn't forget!

ANETTE: Whoops... that was close. Why do I always forget about this house when I do deliveries? I wonder why.

KROSS: Hello, Ms. Mailman.

ANETTE: Did someone call me?

KROSS: Good morning.

ANETTE: That voice again... I knew this area was haunted... I'm scared!

KROSS: Heh...

KROSS: ...

This plays out similarly every morning, with Anette unable to see him for some reason, and Kross always trying to communicate but being similarly unable to.

I can't just keep using :smith: but every time I can't help it.

BUSH: (Speaking of which, I was supposed to get Erik some Turnip...)

Bush will remind us if a request needs something whenever we first talk to Anette each day.

ANETTE: Hey, there's a letter with your name on it, Bush.

~"Hello to my new neighbors." - Lara~

Hello, I am Lara.
I had just moved to Trampolie as a nurse.
I will be taking patients at the church in the mornings.
I may be absent due to other duties on some days,
but please feel free to come by any time with
concerns regarding your health.

~"I forgot." - Mist~

I forgot to mention something very important in my last letter.
Apparently it is considered bad manners
if you do not write back in this town.

So... as a test, could you reply with a Turnip?
Hand it to Anette during her rounds, and she'll deliver it for you.

Mist also wants a turnip. Shocker.

Bush won't be replying to many letters, but that's because the game just won't let us reply to most letters. I feel like more was planned for this feature, possibly for it to be a lot more like the request system of RF2 and 3, but it didn't get implemented all the way.

ANETTE: You want this Turnip delivered, right? Leave it to me.

I happen to have exactly a single turnip in the field grown, (I've lost track as to why,) so let's deliver that. This will go to Erik by default, as he asked for a Turnip first. Should've been faster, Mist.

ANETTE: Mist! You got mail!

Speaking of Mist...

Music: Confusion

(This track is pretty self-explanatory.)

ANETTE: Mist seems to get a lot more mail than I thought. Seeing some of those letters written in some weird foreign language makes it feel kind of off.

:tinfoil:

ANETTE: Stella. You got mail! ♪

ANETTE: That's a really thick book. I wonder if it has the teachings of the church in it...

ANETTE: It feels so much lighter now with the books gone! On to the business district!

DANNY: You're late today! Come on, Anette!

She's not late, but okay whatever. Danny's usually outside to meet her, and in this case is shouting from across the district for some reason.

ANETTE: Here's your mail, Danny.

ANETTE: You've got mail. Isn't it nice to have someone send you so much mail?

Yeah, he's like way over here. This happens some days.

:shrug:

ANETTE: Ganesha, you've got mail! Is it from your teacher?

Ganesha gets a number of letters referencing the other games. This isn't one of them. Well... it could be, but I have no idea if it is.

Just in case you didn't believe me when I mentioned it before, here's Anette sending sparks everywhere after flying up the steps.

ANETTE: Turner, you've got mail!

Mail to the Snowstyle is usually the least interesting, which I find a bit odd. You'd think the local inn would get all sorts of stuff.

ANETTE: Wow...!

When she finishes her route at exactly 9:00 AM, she does this stretch and says that voiced line.

ANETTE: There! Now I'm done with the deliveries for today. I'm feeling a bit hungry now.

ANETTE: I just love to have some "Cheesecake" after a hard day's work!

This is also how you most easily learn what gifts she likes, but she also likes strawberries equally, so you're probably never going to give her anything else.

I'll be honest, this is one of those slow days that not much else happens on, so I'm going to speed through it as tomorrow is going to be quite eventful. Our playthrough won't truly open up until about Spring 14th, but we'll meet some more characters soon and I'm definitely getting to the point where I can fast forward through stuff we've already seen a lot of.

So, here's me highlighting the only few interesting things that happen on this lazy Friday.

EUNICE: I used to feel lonely but I have many more friends now.

EUNICE: I often have tea with Mist.

Eunice is possibly in cahoots with Mist.

I show off the things in Kross's house, revealing some interesting details. Lots of blueprints, but a few war chronicles too for some reason. We'll look at these again when he's around so we can get his input on the matter.

KROSS: When I see the flowers scatter, it reminds me of my old friends...

KROSS: I thought we would always be together. But now they're all gone...

BUSH: Did everyone move to the big city when they grew up?

KROSS: Heh... Something like that. Everyone became free.

Kross proceeds to exceed the :smith: capacity for this update.

ERIK: It's not much, but please accept this as a token of my gratitude.

You got Formula C!

Erik rewards us with the highest tier growth booster that I will likely never use. These only work on 1 tile at a time, and I rarely find that to be useful. I suppose I could find a use for them but...

I then get axe happy in the field and miss two swings and uh

My promise to not pass out didn't last long.

:sigh:

At this point, I may have enough gifs of Bush hitting the dirt.

Well, join us for the next lesson in which I, er, continue to show you what not to do! Yes, that's what I'm doing. Exactly.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 19, 2023

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

I see it's time we're getting introduced to the really kooky bachelorettes.

This is a rune factory game, all right!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Last Transmission posted:

I see it's time we're getting introduced to the really kooky bachelorettes.

This is a rune factory game, all right!

There's not as many wacky gals as you'd find in say, RF3, but this game's definitely got a few.

The next few bachelorettes, Selphy included, are some of the kookier ones for sure. We'll get her proper introduction in the next update.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Selphy's a stylish looking bachelorette, that's for sure. I kind of dig her hat and clothes. And likable already.

How many more introductions will happen via Bush or someone other passing out? I guess it's good fortune for Bush that there's no more serious illnesses besides a cold and plot amnesia in Rune Factory world, because that boy's got a weak constitution.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Selphy's a stylish looking bachelorette, that's for sure. I kind of dig her hat and clothes. And likable already.

How many more introductions will happen via Bush or someone other passing out? I guess it's good fortune for Bush that there's no more serious illnesses besides a cold and plot amnesia in Rune Factory world, because that boy's got a weak constitution.

Selphy's definitely got a good look going, and when it comes to hats, this game has a pretty good showing. The next three bachelorettes have got some good hats in fact.

As for introductions via pass out, this was the last one... though some of the next ones will still be as rough on our boy's constitution. Hopefully when we get some good gear at hand, we can work on improving it.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 6: KNOWLEDGE

LARA: Did you work until you collapsed again?!

LARA: Be sure to go home and rest before you collapse.

Last time I immediately broke my promise to not pass out. I'll try to do better, I guess.

Luckily, with Lara to save us, no cold this time. I can still manage with just this.

Every time you pass out, Lara's LP supposedly takes a hit. This was true in RF1 as well.

It's not like we had any to begin with though.

MIST: The weather is so nice.

Mist is inside the church today it seems.

Music: Confusion

MIST: There have been a lot of weeds growing in front of my house recently...

MIST: Please take care of it, Bush.

BUSH: Take care of what?

what

why is everything going green

MIST: Oh, you. You weeded my lawn, right?

wait, when did we-

it's not even-

:psyduck:

I don't even know what happened. That's definitely not supposed to happen at the church and there's some translation funk going on. I sat here for a few seconds just stunned, it caught me so off guard.

I knew this could happen, this little event can be triggered as soon as you have the sickle, but it was just that sudden.

Well, here we are staring at Mist's weed covered lawn.

Let's just not for now. From a few updates ago, I mentioned that the clock tower would open on the 7th, and that so happens to be today!

Music: Clock Tower

(This theme is... unique. I can't say it doesn't fit, I...

It sure is something.)

BUSH: Is this some sort of blueprint?

Whoever lives here has been hard at work, it seems.

Totally normal gigantic stone and metal dais in here, nothing to see, I'm sure.

BUSH: There's a memo pad. But it's blank.

BUSH: What is this? It doesn't seem to move...

BUSH: There are various books about the Spirits.

Lots of strange new things in here.

Except for that memo pad. We've seen one of those before.

Looks like this is the resident!

He's got a cool hat.

KANNO: Are you from this village?

BUSH: Yes... but I just moved here.

KANNO: I see. I am the same.

KANNO: My name is Kanno. I heard about this village from Sister Stella so I came all the way here.

BUSH: I'm Bush. I do some farm work around here in the village. Why did you come to this village, Kanno?

KANNO: Because of that Whale Island. I do research on magic that uses Runes.

Ah, yes, the main subject of the plot that I have ignored up until this moment. This game has one, but I'd forgive you if you already forgot.

KANNO: I retired and have lots of free... *cough cough* My chronic illness...

:ohdear:

BUSH: A-are you okay?

KANNO: I'm fine. I heard about that island from Stella and decided to come here.

BUSH: Is that right?

KANNO: If you have any questions about Runes or Spirits, you can come ask me.

We inch ever closer to that dreaded mechanic. We're still not at the point of being able to interact with it, but it'll only be a few days.

For now, I'll run through Kanno's normal dialogue.

KANNO: The clock tower itself has this mysterious air about it. I find that very interesting.

KANNO: It's so warm. I'm sure strawberry shortcakes will taste great during this season.

KANNO: This is a great place. Runeys only grow in a very specific environment. It is rare to find a place that can grow Runeys at such a stable rate. I cannot wait to research this.

KANNO: By the way, be sure to tell me if you find something. My specialty is ancient magic so I can decipher ancient text.

I'm sure this will never be relevant.

KANNO: Um... Who are you again?

BUSH: Bush!

KANNO: Right!

BUSH: Are you doing this on purpose?

KANNO: Hohoho.

Well, let's get the infodump on the world.

KANNO: I like people who want to learn. So what do you want to know?

-----------------------------------
What are Spirits?

KANNO: In short, Spirits are "things that form the world." They exist anywhere in the world and give energy to the earth, plants, and animals.

KANNO: Of course, humans feel them, too. That's why land with a lot of Spirits is fertile and has kind people. With no Spirits, there is the opposite effect.

KANNO: When Spirits gather, they either become "Rune Crystals" or "Runeys."

What are Runes?

KANNO: Runes, well Rune Crystals to be exact, are collections of Spirits large enough to be seen with the naked eye. You know about the fields on Whale Island?

No, actually. We've never been there.

KANNO: When crops have ripened there, a white orb appears. That is a "Rune Crystal." Spirits are a source of energy for humans. Health can be regained when one touches one of those Runes Crystals.

KANNO: Runes gather at fertile land, so when you till those fields and make it more arable, even more Runes will come.

What are Monsters?

KANNO: These are the troubling things found inside the dungeons. Not much is known about them. What we do know is that they come from a "gate" that is opened through some sort of trigger.

KANNO: That's why if the gate is destroyed, monsters will not appear for a while. But, regarding what to do about the monsters that are already here...

KANNO: Weapons and farming tools around here all have the "Retornen" spell cast on them. Bush, the ones you have are no exception.

KANNO: Weapons with Retornen cast on them can return the monsters to the "First Forest" when attacked with it. This is thanks to our ancestors who wanted to take care of things peacefully without hurting the monsters.

What are Runeys?

KANNO: "Runeys" are the things that are born when you grow crops in the fields of the village. Runes and Runeys are both things that joined Spirits become. But, their properties are completely different.

KANNO: Runeys have elements of "Grass," "Wood," "Stone," and "Water." Each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Under certain favorable conditions, a corresponding Runey type will multiply. The reverse is also true.

KANNO: Unlike Runes, Runeys can be caught so you can move Runeys around the village to proliferate.

KANNO: You'll have to do trial and error to see how you can increase them in number.

And this is probably why most of everyone hates the runeys.

KANNO: By the way, Runeys can only grow in certain environments. You have to watch out for the Whale Island and dungeons.

So, yeah. The goofy little spirit things is what a lot of people dislike in this game. What's still not been said is that if the runeys are doing badly, your crops will grow slower or randomly wither. On the off hand, you can somewhat increase your growth rate if the runeys are doing excellent in many places.

We still lack the means to really do anything about this, so interacting with will wait for another update or two. It's a time consuming thing to work with, but I'll give working with it a shot instead of ignoring it.

Great knowledge acquired, and much text transcribed, the only thing of interest left in here is to look through the keyholes at these two rooms. Nobody's inside, but they do seem to be set up.

I suppose since Kanno kind of brought Whale Island out into the open, foiling my attempts to manage the pace at which I show stuff off, I might as well do this...

Obvious hint about watering the sapling bears fruit! Or, er, a stalk, I guess.

BUSH: Wow! That surprised me. I didn't think it could grow this big.

BUSH: Still... it's so huge. It's like it reaches the heavens... Should I try to climb it?

BUSH: Oh? Whale Island isn't in the sky today.

And yet my attempts to pace things my own way both succeeds and equally backfires. Normally, Whale Island is situated right above this beanstalk, but on Holidays it moves to Lake Poli.

And that's not like, holiday holidays, I mean Holiday.

The Rune Factory calendar is weird. It only has 6 days per week, so Saturday and Sunday are just morphed into Holiday. Months are also exactly 30 days long, each corresponding to a season. There are 4 seasons to a year, so it's 120 days.

Anyways, I hope you are ready for MORE KNOWLEDGE

BUSH: This stone tablet looks... ...suspicious...

But first, a weird giant rock.

*Sound of something collapsing*

*The chair slowly turns around*

SELPHY: Hiya!

It's like an earthquake hit in here :stare:

BUSH: Why is it so messy in here?

BUSH: What are you doing here in the first place?

SELPHY: I asked Lara to let me stay here!

SELPHY: This library has a lot more books than it looks! I like it!

SELPHY: I organized them all so it's so clean now! Time to start reading!

BUSH: Organized...? You call this organized?

SELPHY: Yeah. All the books I want to read are in the perfect position for me to reach them!

SELPHY: Oh, by the way I discovered a new book while I was reorganizing.

SELPHY: I'll sell you the books I don't want so just come talk to me about it!

As you might've guessed, Selphy will be our resident librarian from now on.

So, uh...

Just to note, this:

is what it looks like before she gets here.

Honestly, it looks like my desk does.

SELPHY: Good morning. You seem so lively so early...

SELPHY: Your're free to read any book here, but there are still lots of books I haven't read yet. Be sure not to take those.

SELPHY: I'll sell you the books I don't need anymore.

SELPHY: ...I wonder what I should read next. I can't wait!

As you can tell, she is a bit of a bookworm. Just a bit.

Although, I can't deny, she's a fun change to the usual ellipsis obsessed, bespectacled bookworms you usually get.

She and Lara are also romance options, forgot to mention that. Honestly, I probably don't need to tell you.

Time for MORE KNOWLEDGE

~Ask a Ninja~

"Know yourself before your enemy. No enemy is greater than ignorance. Knowing the pros and cons of the weapon you hold is the first step to victory. This book will discuss swords."

"*One-handed Sword One-handed swords allow for fast attacks but lack in power and range. Special attacks are characterized by consecutive strikes."

"*Two-handed Sword Two-handed swords have great power and a wide attack range but lack speed. Special attacks are omni-directional."

Wow, I feel so educated. :eng101:

So a lot of these books are basic tutorial stuff, but there's some lore and flavor books around. You can even go to the second floor.

You may notice that we already have a tiny amount of LP with Selphy. She gets small LP bonuses every time you read a book in the Rune Archives (that's this building). I assume it doesn't count for re-reading the same book, and I've no idea yet if it's a once per day thing.

Well, I say book, but that was more of a pamphlet.

Let's go see the kind of stuff Selphy's reading right now, maybe it'll be more interesting.

BUSH: This must be what Selphy's reading right now. Let's see...

BUSH: ... ... Shocking...

BUSH: (W-well, I guess everyone is into different things...)

Bush is an open minded guy.

Re-entering the building so she actually gets back to her job...

SELPHY: I like the size of this place. Everything you want is just within reach.

SELPHY: The place I used to live was way too big.

Her stock is basically all crafting recipes. No Mr. Shield's guides yet, though. We're too broke worry about these for the time being, but rest assured, we'll probably buy everything in time.

SELPHY: Ah, yes... Surrounded by books... This is the life!

BUSH: You really like your books.

SELPHY: I don't just like them! Books are my life! Books are a part of me! I LOVE BOOKS!

:allears:

This is also voice acted, and it's most excellent.

Well, that's about all there is to do here for the time being.

----------------------------------------------

ANETTE: Selphy, you got a package.

ANETTE: Is this a scroll? You'll even read from this? What a book nut...

Anette delivered to here yesterday, despite Selphy still being at the clinic. I didn't show it last update because it made more sense to throw it in with Selphy's proper introduction.

----------------------------------------------

Speaking of introductions, I just spent half this update on two people. Luckily I can breeze through the rest of this day.

LUTE: It sure is spring. I feel like I could fly if I jumped off Whale Island!

BUSH: L-Lute!

LUTE: Haha, I'm kidding.

Lute is here as it's a Holiday, and we can finally buy some utensils.

He's got a wide array of things, but what we're most interested in right now is the facilities.

The forge is the highest priority, but Bush is too broke to afford that, so the kitchen it is. Luckily, this game doesn't hide crafting behind ridiculous grinds, (looking at you RF1 and 2,) and the three crafting types are available from the start with no house upgrades needed. It's only when you move up to the higher class tools that you'll need the expansions.

MARCO: Starting with Mist and you, there have been lots of people moving to this village recently.

MARCO: Is that the new fad nowadays?

Marco is genre savvy.

STELLA: I feel really good. There are times that you just want to relax because you work at a church all day.

Stella hangs out at Lake Poli on Holidays. Church service in Trampoli seems to be all week and excluding the weekends instead.

Also, here's Whale Island.

Had I not been eating so much dirt, I could've set myself up to have a big harvest today. It'll be coming a day late, unfortunately.

Instead, I only got these few turnips. Past me could have been smart and liquidated everything and gotten the forge today as well, (Rosetta pays you at 5:30 and Lute leaves at 6:00, you have just enough time to catch him for a late purchase,) but I didn't.

Turnips are worth a lot more than their seeds, but aren't that profitable in the long run.

Here's a skill update as I leave myself 1 water tile away from death again.

ROSETTA: Oh, a turnip. You've got some nerve.

ROSETTA: I welcome anything that brings profits to my store.

Mist likes turnips and Rosetta notably comments on you shipping them. Though I feel it's possible it's a little backwards, because if I'm selling these turnips it means I'm not giving them to Mist.

Maybe she just doesn't like them in general.

A new day begins!

ANETTE: Erik, you've got mail.

ANETTE: Hey, this is a girl's handwriting...

ANETTE: ...So it's from your mother. You're living apart from her?

She gets tears in her eyes from this. Anette and Kross probably get that the most, but it doesn't come across well in screenshots, so I figured I'd mention it.

Oh, and I also managed to catch up to Anette early enough today.

~"Greetings!" - Selphy~

Hello! I just wanted to greet
everyone and also let you know
that I have moved into the Rune Archives.
I found books that were buried under other
books, so come by to read them!

Selphy sent an introduction letter.

ANETTE: In this season, there are really nice flowers blooming everywhere. I just can't get tired of this scenery.

I also get a turnip delivered to Mist.

ANETTE: There's no one here but I hear voices... Is it a monster?

Daily dose of sadness. I honestly don't know if there's something we can do about this later.

On to less sad things:

TURNIPS

GREAT AND GLORIOUS TURNIPS

We're gonna be rich, folks.

...Well, compared to how we have been.

35 Turnips! That's 7,350g!

That may not sound like a lot, but we can improve that.

How, you might ask?

With our fancy new kitchen!

Unlike previous Rune Factory games, this one has a minigame attached. It's rather easy though.

they almost all have the same minigame

A bar will start sliding from left to right, and bounces back and forth endlessly. It's speed isn't really that fast, but it has a tricky input delay.

We stop the bar in the blue to succeed with our cooking.

Should we hit the green zones, we boost the level of the final product by 1. We also get a crowd from nowhere going "wooaaah" instead of a little success chime.

I think you get some more skill experience for it as well, but I don't know for sure.

The higher level an item, the better it's effects and sell value are. If we got every turnip in our inventory to level 2 pickled turnips, we'd get about an extra 2,500g in profit.

We're not going to do all of them like that of course, But I'll take an extra few hundred gold.

If you hit the red zones, Bush displays his other culinary talent: turning anything into a pile of charcoal dust.

Bush, you were using a knife, not a flame.

how did you do this

Regardless, this ought to be a healthy profit. We keep this up all week, and we'll be able to get the other important items from Lute this weekend.

Um, you're a bit early, aren't you?

BUSH: Oh, Rosetta... It's not time to collect the items from the shipping box, is it?

ROSETTA: It's not. I ran away from home.

BUSH: Huh?! Why?

ROSETTA: Hear me out... My father runs a general store. But, the other day, he forgot to do a delivery and the customer said he was so angry he said he'd take his business elsewhere...

ROSETTA: The deliveries are my father's responsibility It's partially my fault for not making sure of it.

ROSETTA: But when we talked it over, he just said, "It can't be helped."

ROSETTA: Can you believe that?! Does he even care about his business?

Rosetta is serious about business, if you haven't noticed.

ROSETTA: That's why I ran away.

BUSH: But... Won't your father be worried about you?

ROSETTA: It's fine. I left a letter there and being alone will force him to get his act together.

ROSETTA: I'm going to be staying at Mist's place for the time being.

Oh, that can't go wrong at all.

ROSETTA: But don't worry. I'll still be making my collection rounds.

Mist has nothing to say about the turnip I sent or the fact that Rosetta moved in.

That's... very Mist.

MIST: Thank you! I love this Turnip!

I start paying my dues to her underground turnip operation.

Whale Island is here at the normal place today, and it's what I wanted to get to, but there's just been so much new dialogue to cover, so let's enter speed LP mode.

KANNO: I'm sorry. Can you come back later? I'm thinking right now.

Kanno says this. Riveting.

~(Stella's Diary)~

"Spring, Day 1 (Sunny)

A traveler stopped by looking for a place to sleep even though there's an inn..."

Stella also has a diary in her room that dunks on Bush.

BUSH: I don't know much about plants used for decoration, but I can tell it's well taken care of.

Lara has a potted plant.

BUSH: I can't really read anything here...

Sometimes when trying to read out of the library, you find shelves Bush is presently too uncultured to read. :pseudo:

So I read another pamphlet instead.

~Beautiful Letter~

"A letter is what keeps distant friends in touch and connected. This book was written to aid such friends in mastering the art of communication over distance and to instruct them of its usefulness."

"After you have moved, place a delivery request at your new post office. If you don't, you won't be able to receive any mail. Once registered, ask someone to send you a letter."

"Mail is usually delivered early in the morning. You can also get mail directly from the mailman if you see them on their rounds. If you are not a morning person, check your mail box."

"Once you have received a letter, you can always choose to read it however many times you want, as long as you keep it somewhere safe."

Something about this book pamphlet feels mildly patronizing.

Before I decide to climb up to Whale Island, I buy a broadsword. The starting farming tools aren't that bad at combat, but even a basic sword outmatches them greatly.

We won't have access to magic for quite a while yet, but I'm going to be using it as well.

RITA: During this season, it feels the best when you drink a cocktail with flowers in it.

Rita has a new line.

Kross sometimes stands at the front of his field and you can talk to him across the fence. This saves you from having to enter his house first.

Now that everything else of possible interest is out of the way, Bush shall climb to the heavens. There's no way this can go wrong.

Music: Whale Island Entrance - Ambient

BUSH: So this is Whale Island... It's a lot bigger than it looked from below...

...Nothing went wrong, evidently.

Ah, no, I take that back. The altitude is getting to us, we're hearing voices now.

WHALE: Ah, a new face... Are you an adventurer?

WHALE: I am below you. Nay, perhaps it is better to say I am above you?

BUSH: Who's there? Where are you?

WHALE: Hahaha. My apologies. My mischief was excessive.

WHALE: I am the awareness of the very whale on which you stand.

Great, even the giant rock whale is messing with us.

BUSH: Whale...? You mean this island?

WHALE: Correct. I was a mere cluster of rocks when I was gifted with awareness by the influence of the Runes and began swimming through the skies.

BUSH: Runes?

Bush, you just learned this yesterday :cripes:

WHALE: Runes are collections of Spirits. Although Runes are formed by the earth, there are times when the Runes affect the earth instead.

WHALE: Adventurer... What is your name?

BUSH: I am Bush.

WHALE: Bush, I seek a favor. Although my awareness and body are sustained by Runes, I feel as though the Rune within me grows weak.

WHALE: If the Rune were ever to disappear, my awareness would fade and my journey through the sky would end.

WHALE: This would be of grave danger to those who reside below...

BUSH: I understand. I'll search for the answer to your failing Rune. You have my word.

WHALE: You have my gratitude. It is not much, but as a sign of thanks, allow me to guide you.

WHALE: Do you see that stone tablet?

WHALE: It seems to have existed since before I became aware, and I sense a strong magic from it. It may be of use to you.

WHALE: I have yet more advice. Monsters inhabit the lands beyond here. They may reside here now, but they must return to their own world.

WHALE: Bush, your weapons are enchanted with "Retornen" magic. "Retornen" is a magic that sends monster back to their original place, their home, to which they must return, the "First Forest."

WHALE: Bush, please. Return the monsters lost in this world to their own.

WHALE: I am counting on you, Bush...

And with that, Bush has been infodumped his new main quest. The free land we got was too good to be true, and it so happens that this island is going to eventually crash into it and Majora's moon the countryside.

Bush stands up to be the hero once again, as his future gets suddenly more complicated.

His first act shall be...

To make more pickled turnips.

Actually no, we're going to see what's up here, it will just have to wait until next time. This update's already larger than I'd like it to be.

Join us next lesson as we welcome back another familiar face! Believe me, we're not done introducing new characters yet!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 19, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Well, alright. That sudden leap to weeding Mist's lawn has convinced me she's magical and up to turnip related no-goodery. Using her dark powers to get others to do her work. Is that scene usually so abrupt?

The proper introduction to Selphy already has me pulling for her. A stylish, messy bookworm, already shot way up the charts. The other bachelorettes would have to work hard to top that.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
I think that cutscene just triggers when you encounter Mist once you have the sickle - she spends her weekends in the church, so Bush woke up in the church it just fired off. Also, tt probably should have been translated as "You WILL weed my lawn for me, right?" rather than "You weeded my lawn for me, right?". It can be difficult to translate stuff like this without context.

Mist is definitely smarter than she lets on. She's already got Bush to start feeding her turnips!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
"Was synthesised with expertise" is a very weird way to put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

The proper introduction to Selphy already has me pulling for her. A stylish, messy bookworm, already shot way up the charts. The other bachelorettes would have to work hard to top that.

We've got some more good ones coming up, but Selphy does put up a very strong first impression. I'll be honest, she's won me over quite a lot.

For me on the LPer side, it's going to be interesting to see how the eventual voting rounds turn out. I have my predictions, but we'll see.

Well, alright. That sudden leap to weeding Mist's lawn has convinced me she's magical and up to turnip related no-goodery. Using her dark powers to get others to do her work. Is that scene usually so abrupt?

sandorius posted:

I think that cutscene just triggers when you encounter Mist once you have the sickle - she spends her weekends in the church, so Bush woke up in the church it just fired off. Also, tt probably should have been translated as "You WILL weed my lawn for me, right?" rather than "You weeded my lawn for me, right?". It can be difficult to translate stuff like this without context.

Mist is definitely smarter than she lets on. She's already got Bush to start feeding her turnips!

Yeah, this is exactly what happened, I just had no idea it could trigger from the church. That translation error is definitely an out-of context one, and from my limited translation work, it's easy to make these kinds of mistakes.

...Is what she wants us to think. It's all part of her grand plan :tinfoil:

Fat Samurai posted:

"Was synthesised with expertise" is a very weird way to put it.

It's not incorrect use of "synthesize," but it's definitely an odd choice. They use the same prompts for all 4 kinds of crafting, but one can only wonder why they didn't use "made" or "created" instead.

Given that messing up results in a pile of ash from using a knife, and we're synthesizing, I can only assume there's some kind of Atelier-level alchemy cooking going on here.