Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Annette is the best, we need Annette. :swoon:

Also, no dirt nap at the end of the update. Voted 1/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Slaan posted:

Annette is the best, we need Annette. :swoon:

Anette is very good, and another contender for the hat wars

Slaan posted:

Also, no dirt nap at the end of the update. Voted 1/5

:negative:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 07: I got the Turnip.

Music: Whale Island Entrance

(Another song that suffers from re-hearing the first part way too often, this is a neat theme. I think it matches the mysterious, mystical feel of being on a flying whale island.)

On this Monday, right at noon, Bush has climbed a skyscraper of a beanstalk, at zero cost to his stamina, to reach a talking whale shaped sky island that is apparently going to plummet to the ground and destroy our house at some indeterminate time.

Also Bush is standing weird.

This is because we're finally in a combat zone! Watering cans are held like one-handed swords and hoes are held like two-handed swords for some reason, though their animations are the same as you use for farming.

Last time, the island told us to look at this weird rock.

BUSH: "The melody of trust grows within 12 maidens." I wonder what this means...

*Some balls of energy form and shoot outwards!*

...Okay.

I don't actually know what this is for, as I only got halfway through the game originally, and it wasn't relevant by that point. I have some ideas on what it might be for, but nothing solid.

BUSH: What was that just now...?

BUSH: I guess I should keep moving.

Music: Whale Island Cave

(I don't have too much to say about this track, really. It's good, but it feels a bit forgettable compared to others in this game.)

Progressing further past this gets us to a cave! It took us 6 updates, but we're finally getting to combat in this game about farming and combat!

These here are Gates, openings to the First Forest that occasionally spew out monsters in the form of lightning bolts.

In this case, we have a goblin!

Our low level pacifist magic sword lacks any interesting abilities aside from it's spammable basic attack: a back and forth diagonal swing combo.

It's still more than enough to easily defeat this goblin as they also similarly lack variety. They have a weak lunging kick and a sword slash. That's it.

Our sword can also damage Gates and destroy them. How a sword or a hoe can mend a dimensional rift is beyond me, but I guess we banish the gates too.

The goblin also dropped this, a Warrior Medal (previously called Proof Of Warrior). The 48 in a row thing is probably a reference to something, but I've no idea what it is.

Goblins can also drop Cheap Cloth and Blade Pieces. Honestly, the medal is the least useful item they could drop.

To the south from there is a few farm fields and thankfully nearby water. Where the other dungeons will have a rather obvious season to them, Whale Island is special in that it counts as Spring, Summer, and Autumn all at the same time. You can grow whatever you want up here.

The caveat is that Whale Island is unreachable on Sundays and the fields require a lot more time to get to. It's still a good deal at the end of the day if you need out of season crops early.

Instead of bamboo shoots, it also grows mushrooms. They're worth the same, but they've got a chance of poison on consumption.

I'm mostly running to the right and past the goblins for the time being- there's something else here I'm looking for, and my RP is quite low.

Here's um, ants. They're big, they can bite or shoot this stuff. Neither attack does much damage. They can drop insect jaws or insect skin when defeated, which makes you question how much truth there is to the pacifist magic our weapons are supposedly enchanted with.

I ignore them as well for now, as this section of the cave is what I'm looking for.

I've fought one enemy since I've been in here :v:

Red robes and big witch hat, here's a returning character if I ever saw one!

WITCH GIRL: Oh?

MELODY: Hey, Bush!♪ It's me! Bathhouse Melody!

MELODY: What are you doing here?

Apparently, Bathhouse Melody is her full name now.

BUSH: That's what I want to know. There are a lot of monsters around here, you know.

It's really not that hard to avoid the enemies in here, Bush. Also screenshotting on the fade between sprites is terrifying.

Though, this event is a lot funnier if you grow the beanstalk and make it here in one go, as it effectively means Melody has somehow just been up here the entire time.

MELODY: That's what I want to know. There are a lot of monsters around here, you know.

MELODY: I think it's somewhere around that rock.

Also, her hat shadow makes her look almost a bit sinister now, that can't just be me, right? I wouldn't be surprised if she effortlessly fought off all the monsters on the way here.

MELODY: Why don't you try breaking that rock?

You got Cheap Hammer!

As I noted when I got the axe, the hammers also still have crazy proportions.

*So Bush gives the cracked boulder a right smack...*

*And a large amount of hot spring water spews forth!*

She performs the charging hug maneuver on Bush, which I believe is colliquially known as "the glomp."

This information is outside the purview of Amnesic Agriculture 102, and is not guaranteed to be factual.

MELODY: Yaaay! You dug up a hot spring!

um could you let me go now

Bush has just the most uncomfortable, unreacting pose and I can only say that I have probably done this before.

MELODY: Woohoo!♪ I knew my intuition was right.

MELODY: I have no time to waste!

MELODY: Oh right, I'll be running a bathhouse, so be sure to come by!♪

If you guessed that Bathhouse Melody would run a bathhouse, then you are good at context clues.

She waves goodbye to us and then waltzes off into the darkness in her toeless boots, humming.

With that done, I clear some ants off me and I prepare to use the hammer for it's common use.

Not only is it as vocally violent as cutting lumber, it's even more visually impressive.

The game is also nice enough to let you hit multiple ore rocks at the same time.

This nets me a bit of Scrap Iron and Iron. These will be important when I finally get a forge.

With that, we're outta here. Our HP and RP are in a bad way right now, and while I could try to get enough EXP to level up and restore both fully, (because that happens), I'd also be cutting it close.

Hey, this wasn't here when I left!

Apparently Melody can construct a bathhouse in 30 minutes.

The bathhouse opens at 3:00 PM, which is annoying when you need it at say, any time before that. My memory is dim, but I'm pretty sure later games just started opening them at the same time as other businesses.

Music: Business District Buildings

Regardless, welcome to Laga Springs. What or who is Laga, you might ask?

MELODY: Welcome, Bush, to the "Laga Springs"!♪

BUSH: "Laga Springs"?

MELODY: Yup. That's the whale's name. It's called Laga. That's why it's called "Laga Springs." But I'm the one that named it.

Melody just up and named the sky whale island without asking anyone, including it. To be fair, Whale Island Springs would be a confusing name as this is not situated on the island.

MELODY: Taking a bath cleans the soul! So you should come everyday! ♪

MELODY: Welcome!♪ The bath is perfect as always today!

Believe me, Bush will have a very clean soul by the end of this LP. The bathhouses in Rune Factory games are an incredible bargain for what they do, and we'll be coming here nearly every day.

MELODY: The men's bath is on the right side. I'll put you in a world of pain if you try to go in the women's bath!

MELODY: Did you just try to imagine what I'd do to you?

BUSH: N-no...

Yeah, I'm convinced the monsters weren't an issue for her.

MELODY: Thanks!♪ I can use the herbs to make medicine so I was looking for it!

A gift, but also perhaps more of a peace offering.

Melody's changed her perspective on gifts since Rune Factory 1, where the only act that would increase LP was using the bath. It still increases it here, but she now actually gets LP for gifts as well.

MELODY: That will be 10 Gold! Thank you! Enjoy!♪

A bath only costs the price of a turnip seed or handful of weeds- Melody charges the least in the series for this.

BUSH: (Let's take a bath.)

BUSH: (*phew* That's nice...)

This man has no nip. Such is the fate of our skinny Ken doll physique.

Regardless, we haven't had a bath in presumably a week, so we probably needed this.

BUSH: (That felt great...)

:getin:

10g for a full restore is absolutely busted, and it boosts the quality of life in this game by a ton. We can effectively do double the work now, every day.

I waited this long just for the sake of pacing the LP a bit, but you can get this as early as day 1.

If you're playing along or just casually, open it as early as you can.

BUSH: The room is adorned with flowers.

BUSH: There are a lot of books about magic. Melody must study a lot...

The latter gives a bit of information on Melody that is probably predictable: the girl in a witch outfit studies magic. They do a little bit more with this than you'd think at first though.

BUSH: This is Melody's bed...

BUSH: No, wait... Sleeping here would be bad.

BUSH: Something smells very soothing. There must be herbs inside the stuffed animals.

BUSH: ... Zzz....

Music: Goodnight

Bush, what did you just

BUSH: Huh?! I fell asleep.

You and your fakeouts, game! :argh:

This doesn't actually move the clock any, alas. If it did, I'm sure it'd be a speedrunning strat or something.

Anyways, before we head off to bed today, we make some serious bank. We also jump our cooking skill to about 12 or so.

"Melody - The always lively bathhouse owner. Always in search for the perfect bath."

"Kanno - The old man of the Clock Tower. Very knowledgeable but only when he wants to."

Here's also the profiles for Melody and Kanno. I wish I could be smart whenever I wanted.

Music: Spring

New day!

This morning starts with a lone turnip. My watering got really off there thanks to all the passing out.

ANETTE: Bush! Good morning!

ANETTE: Who did you write a letter to today?

ANETTE: The weather is so nice.

ANETTE: Your house has been empty for a really long time. I always thought it was a waste since it had such a nice field.

ANETTE: It might be weird coming from me, but take good care of it, okay?

Anette's had her eyes on this house for quite a while.

-----------------------------------------------------
~"I got the Turnip." - Mist~

I have recieved the Turnip.
It feels so strange communicating
with you through letters like this.
Anyway, thank you.

You could've just asked me in person. We're neighbors, you know.

ANETTE: Seeing some of those letters written in some weird foreign language makes it feel kind of off.

Mist is still recieving missives relating to her dark plot.

ANETTE: Kanno! You've got mail!

ANETTE: That's a really old book. Is it a magical book that Kanno is researching? Now I'm getting kind of interested.

Kanno also has books delivered. Anette has to carry so many books to just this side of town every day.

ANETTE: Whoops. I almost dropped my wallet.

She never actually loses it as far as I know, so no returning it for those LP gains.

ANETTE: This thick dictionary isn't going to fit in the mailbox.

I guess she leaves it on the doorstop?

She'll also say this when it's raining, and I can only wonder what happens to the dictionary then.

ANETTE: Melody, you got mail!♪

ANETTE: It's a letter from Lynette!♪

:unsmith:

Lynette has trouble fitting in, so it's nice to see that she and Melody are friends. Also that the devs didn't forget about her. Still wish she made a cameo in a later game.

It also brings into question what exactly happened in the first game. Lynette is your main antagonist, and the person mostly responsible for your amnesia. That being said, she has a change of heart after our hero defeats the dragon god her plan centered around. Given we carry over no skills, no items, and barely anyone says anything about what we've supposedly done in the past, did it happen?

I guess these are just the unplanned sequel blues. Makes me kinda wish they had found some way to pull your data from RF1 to use in this game. The Wii can connect to a DS after all...

ANETTE: That's a really cute letter. Is it from your little sister?

Can't remember if we've seen this already, but Danny's got a family elsewhere.

DANNY: Oh. So you've been to Whale Island?

DANNY: Anyway, buy something.

Now that we have interacted with the plot people will remark on this. The large majority of people will be unimpressed by the idea that we managed to climb a skyscraper beanstalk to reach a flying sky whale island, but such is life in a fantasy world.

EUNICE: You went to Whale Island? How did you get to such a high place?

EUNICE: Bush, you can fly?

Some villagers are more easily impressed.

ANETTE: Ganesha, you've got an order from Alverna!

Going back to the mail, Alverna, or rather, Alvarna, is the town from Rune Factory 2. Frontier is still around 10 or so years before the events of that game.

That being said, I can only wonder what Tanya and Ganesha in the same room would be like.

ANETTE: Turner, you've got mail!

Really, they usually get the least interesting mail.

I pay my turnip dues, once again.

Then she starts humming some song, but as to what it is, I don't know.

I think this has something to do with the strange rock on Whale Island.

BUSH: Mist, you've said before that someone is calling to you, right?

MIST: Yeah. The person appears in my dreams and speaks to me sometimes.

MIST: He seemed to be in a lot of pain lately, so I got a bit worried. That's why I came to this town to look for him, but I can't find him anywhere.

BUSH: How strange...

MIST: I know! Next time I see him, I'll ask him to appear in your dreams, too.

Oh great, she's pulling us further into her schemes! Bush, don't fall for it!

BUSH: Um... Okay... Thanks, I guess.

Curses! :argh:

Jokes aside, it's pretty obvious it's the whale in this case, I'd think.

I also think it's about time I cut this JPEG grass. It doesn't give any fodder, but I also don't have a barn so that's whatever.

BUSH: What is this? Does it lead to some underground ruins...?

The Green Ruins are now open!

Here's the real prize here.

MIST: You cleaned up the front of my house and I want to thank you for it.

MIST: Let me give you this. Please take care of it.

You recieved Turnip Seed!

What's funny about this is that Bush doesn't even have a dialogue box, just a :sweatdrop: to end the conversation.

Music: Green Ruins

(This is a remix of the first cave in RF1, Carmite Cave. It's quite good and makes for a nice callback.)

A second dungeon in the same update! Egads!

This one has a season of eternal Spring, and is somewhat tougher than what we're facing in Whale Island's cave.

We'll be making periodic progress in here, but this dungeon has a special aspect to it that I don't believe the other dungeons have. It'll be quite some time before we see that, as it requires us to reach the first boss of the game.

This dungeon also has daily respawning crates that drop low tier crafting materials sometimes. I don't know who restocks them.

I go ahead and till one of those farm plots for later. I'll eventually want them to plant the two multiple harvest spring plants, Strawberries and Cucumbers. Doing that will establish me having a supply of them for as long as I want with the added benefit of being in a rather easy to reach location. At least one batch of strawberries here will give you enough to give the four townies who like strawberries one per day, and still get an extra one as surplus every harvest.

As three of those are romance candidates, (Rosetta, Anette, and Lara,) it's not a bad deal at all.

To progress further, we have to cut some vines out of our way.

This here is a Chipsqueek. They can either throw a volley of acorns at you, or do a very telegraphed bite.

They also go out on their own terms, by throwing an acorn in the air and hitting themselves in the head with it.

At least, that's how I choose to interpret it.

Thankfully, the majority of the dungeon farm plots have water sources nearby. These are even closer than the ones at our actual farm :(

Fighting ants and stuff really starts to wear me out, but...

Here's that full restore on level up I mentioned earlier.

Further in is a box that disappointingly nothing in it, and a good few more rocks to smash.

Hammers can sometimes daze enemies on hit. The fact that I did this to one of the cute squirrel foxes is because I was smashing a rock at the same time.

Bush is unrelenting in his farm work.

There's a lot farm plots in this place, really. A number of them are just far enough out of the way to be inconvenient.

More farm plots!

And that's about it for Green Ruins today. We'll have to skill up and gear a good deal more before we take it on for real.

I should've saved these monster parts, but also they're not too hard to grind out, so I think the extra cash was worth it.

Off to the bathhouse for the last part of this update!

FANCY OLD MAN: Hot springs are so nice...

FANCY OLD MAN: Don't you think so, young man?

BUSH: Yes.

NOLAN: I think that you and I will get along fine. My name is Nolan. I am traveling around sampling hot springs all over.

NOLAN: Where did you come from?

BUSH: Nice to meet you. My name is Bush. I am borrowing a field of this village and making my living here.

As far as I'm concerned, that field is ours.

NOLAN: A field, I see. I'm sure the bath feels very nice after a day of work in the fields.

NOLAN: This hot spring is very effective on back pain. Please rest here to heal yourself.

BUSH: Huh?! No, I...

NOLAN: Hm?

NOLAN: Oh, you'll have to excuse me for being so rude. I just cannot get out of the habit of speaking about things only from my point of view.

NOLAN: I suppose that young people like yourself wouldn't have back pain. I'm sorry.

And with that, we've met Nolan. He, uh, likes baths. About as much as Melody does. He does have that cat chilling on his shoulder though.

Anyways, that's all for this time.

Next time we meet even more characters! I would say it never ends, but it does!

...Just not any time soon.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 19, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Mist's "TURNIP RECIEVED, OVER!" type message cracked me up for some reason. She takes it so seriously!

Please tell me Nolan's cat buddy is never ever mentioned by anyone. It's just there constantly and nobody ever comments. That would be amazing.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
As someone with a cat, I'm convinced Nolan's cat is fake because mine would never put up with lying on my shoulder like that all the time. Not a good angle for pets.

The Melody of Trust thing worries me a bit because I assume that it's referring to the girls Bush can marry. Hopefully it's not something that's unlocked at max LP because that would take forever to get done.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Mist's "TURNIP RECIEVED, OVER!" type message cracked me up for some reason. She takes it so seriously!

Please tell me Nolan's cat buddy is never ever mentioned by anyone. It's just there constantly and nobody ever comments. That would be amazing.

The underground turnip trade is serious business :ninja:

I don't remember if anyone mentions Nolan's cat. Some villagers will comment on others from time to time, so it's possible it gets mentioned, it's possible it remains an enigma.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

As someone with a cat, I'm convinced Nolan's cat is fake because mine would never put up with lying on my shoulder like that all the time. Not a good angle for pets.

The Melody of Trust thing worries me a bit because I assume that it's referring to the girls Bush can marry. Hopefully it's not something that's unlocked at max LP because that would take forever to get done.

We haven't seen it yet, but some of the extra emotions Nolan makes are made by the cat and not Nolan. I think it may be just so relaxed somehow it doesn't care.

As for the Melody of Trust, what knowledge I do have of it would suggest that max LP isn't it's requirement, thankfully. I could be wrong though, so we'll have to see.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

At least in this game marrying Melody doesn't ban you from the bathhouse forever. :v:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 08: Aerial Assault Animes

NOLAN: Well, now. I was secretly drinking in the bath the other day...

NOLAN: Melody found me out by the smell and she gave me quite a scolding. Hahahaha.

This time on Rune Factory: Frontier, irresponsible drinking!

Before I close this day out, I grab some turnips so I've got something to do with all this RP I've got leftover.

Music: Night Ambience

10:27 PM.

Yeah, that took a bit longer than expected.

To bed we go!

Music: Visions

(You don't get to hear this much, but it's a good track.)

BLUE VOICE: Help... Please help me...

Great, now Mist has inoculated us to her psychic wavelength.

BLUE VOICE: A great power flows into me from somewhere. I don't want this power...

Oh, this doesn't sound like the whale.

Um.

BLUE VOICE: Help... Please help...

I would but I have no idea where you are. Seriously.

Well, great, we've possibly got two people to save now.

Unfortunately for them and us, farming comes first.

I really want those upgraded tools. They're such a huge quality of life improvement.

In other news, we now have Strawberries.

They only sell for 100 a pop, but they regrow every two days and they're highly giftable, so I can't complain.

ANETTE: Who did you write a letter to today?

Nobody, alas.

We will get letters we can reply to, but there's no way to initiate them as far as I know. If that was the case, I'd be bothering everyone in town.

~"I hear you found the Green Ruins" - Kanno~

I hear you have entered the Green Ruins.
That place once was a Norad research
facility, studying how to utilize Runes
more effectively by using Rune Stones.
It may be a good idea to try taking
some Rune Stones down there with you.

Sure, sounds like a great plan. Well except for the fact I can't even get those yet, and nobody has even mentioned them before.

ANETTE: That book looks complicated. Being a nurse must be tough.

Missed some mailboxes today, but I got really distracted by watering.

ANETTE: Omph. The entire set isn't going to fit in the mailbox...

Even more books than last time :eyepop:

ANETTE: It's a letter from Camus!♪

Camus was a rival rancher in Kardia, in a really generous sense of the term. He was also into Melody, but that never went anywhere between them evidently.

Since that was the last box I wanted to see the text for, I hit up the Rune Archives.

It's open almost 24/7 so I can head in at 8:00 like this, but Selphy's only usually behind the front desk to sell stuff at the usual 9 to 5 business hours.

SELPHY: Good morning. You seem so lively so early...

I say usually, because she's just sometimes still back here anyways. The pursuit of merchantry is secondary to that of her love for books.

SELPHY: The weather is so nice, but the sun is way too bright...

SELPHY: It sure is spring now. Spring is the season for reading.

I would've thought Winter would be, but I suppose I'll take the bookaholic's word for it.

As it is Spring, we shall read.

~Beautiful Letter: Part 2~

"There may come a time when you want to send the receiver of your letters a present."

"In such a case, hand the item to the mailman in person. Do not make the mistake of putting it in your mailbox."

Well, that was a short one. We can't even put things in our mailbox!

As a random aside, here's a look at our stats because I regularly forget to look at them, and as result, show them off. It's still really early in the game, so they're not much to look at.

After that, it's time to go talk to everyone in town.

ROSETTA: I'm bored so maybe I should go wander the area.

ROSETTA: Say, Bush. Take me somewhere.

BUSH: What? Me?

ROSETTA: I'm kidding. Why are you getting all serious? There's no way I'd go on a date with you.

Being honest, this dialogue is very out of place for Rosetta and the only explanation I can think of is that Mist is here.

She doesn't have this tsundere bent at any other time from what I know, and it's not really present in her RF1 dialogue (though that's sparse). In fact, she's rather into Bush in that game, and rather forward about it at times.

ROSETTA: Thank you.

ROSETTA: But how did you know what I liked?

I remembered from the first game. (It's strawberries.)

ROSETTA: Don't tell me you like me. ...No way. But thanks anyway.

The answer to that is the thread's choice.

More back alley turnip dues to be paid.

MIST: I need a favor from you, Bush.

BUSH: What is it?

Oh, hey, I thought this game didn't have a request system!

MIST: Please grow turnips.

BUSH: Haha...

We're already doing that :argh:

Music: Clock Tower

Well, let's get some more KNOWLEDGE bestowed upon us.

KANNO: This is a nice and quiet place.

KANNO: But it has one flaw! There is no one here to bring me my food!

I, uh, have turnips and strawberries. Want either of those?

BUSH: Just get it yourself...

KANNO: *cough cough*... My chronic disease is... Hm? Did you say something?

KANNO: What was it? Bush kept butting in so I forgot. Oh, right!

KANNO: Since no one is here to make food, I had my granddaughters come!

BUSH: Please don't call your grandchildren over just to make you food...

KANNO: Well, that's that. I think they'll be here soon so you can go greet them.

BUSH: Are they already on their way?

BUSH: Wait, I'm going to get them? You're so pushy...

KANNO: Thanks, Bush.

Such are the prices we pay for knowledge. These grandkids are going to be quite helpful in the coming days, so I wouldn't complain too much, Bush.

YOUNG GIRL: Aaaaaaah...!

:stare:

*Suddenly, two girls come falling down from the sky!*

*SMASH*

BUSH: Grk, ugh, o-ow...!

YOUNG GIRL: I'm so sorry, are you okay?!

Okay, well you've got right to complain now.

Also, this cutscene is very fast outside of screenshot. It's basically a blur at the beginning.

BUSH: Y-yes, I'm fine.

YOUNG GIRL: That's good to hear.

The voice acting makes it apparent it still hurts. I imagine any anime, child or not, will hurt if thrown at you at high velocity.

Music: By the Ocean

(I still swear this plays more in conversations than it does at the actual ocean.)

YOUNG GIRL: The spirits are mad! They said that the landing failed because we're too heavy. Maybe you got fatter.

QUIET GIRL: ...I didn't. You just got bigger.

YOUNG GIRL: You sure?

BUSH: Um, are you Kanno's granddaughters?

Luckily for us, Bush is on point to change the subject.

YOUNG GIRL: Oh, I'm sorry! I suppose I need to introduce myself.

CANDY: I'm Candy! Kanno's my grandfather!

BUSH: Nice to meet you, Candy. I'm Bush.

CANDY: Nice to meet you, Bush!

CANDY: This is my older sister.

CINNAMON: ... ... ...Cinnamon.

I find it funny that for some earlier introductions they accidentally name the girl ahead of time, but they give Cinnamon the brief name of Candy's Sister.

CINNAMON: ... ... ...Hi.

She usually doesn't use this many ellipsis in daily communication. This isn't a Tori... or Dorothy... type situation... here, at... least....

BUSH: N-nice to meet you, Cinnamon.

CANDY: Heehee. My sister is a bit... reserved. But she's really nice!

CANDY: We have to get going to see our grandfather! Bye!

Cinnamon gives us a slow wave goodbye.

Well, we might as well go and chat them up.

CANDY: Do you know about the Spirit Song?

BUSH: Spirit... Song?

CANDY: Yeah. It's a song where you can speak to the Spirits.

CANDY: It seems I have the talent for the Spirit Song so I can cause miracles like Rune Wonders by asking the Spirits.

So, this will definitely be a thing. I won't really be able to make use of it for quite a while, but it's good that it's open.

BUSH: Rune Wonders?

CANDY: Yeah. It can change the weather or speed the growth of plants.

BUSH: Oh, that sounds amazing.

CANDY: Hey! You sound like you don't believe me! Just watch.

Music: Candy's Spirit Song

(la la, lala la, la la, lala la)

You do have to listen to this every time.

CANDY: Okay. You should have more bamboo shoots at your field tomorrow.

Actually, it'll only be like 400g, but still, free money.

CANDY: To cause Rune Wonders, you need Runeys.

CANDY: So if you want to do Rune Wonders, you have to bring me Runeys.

If you're asking yourself how we collect them, well, we'll also be getting that tool soon. Which means it's time I have to start approaching the dreaded mechanic.

CANDY: How may I help you today?

I won't explore all the Rune Wonder options in detail until later, but be rest assured I'll get to it at some point.

Here's the basic list of what we can do though- mostly a large variety of boosting the rate at which we can obtain various natural resources, though some definitely sound exciting. It's like an expanded version of Alicia's fortune telling from RF2, but with complicated pricing that requires damaging the environment.

Asking where runeys can be found gives us this map. We'll end up having to manage the population of these little buggers in order to keep our crops growing right, or we can forget about ever using our main field effectively.

Luckily, the environment already present should be rather stable for a long while.

Runeys will die off and consume each other in a brutal cycle on their own, and each zone naturally produces a certain type of runey... except for our Homestead. No runeys will decay here, but the natural growth of runeys is based on the amount of crops we have grown and unharvested.

There's a sort of easy strategy I'll be trying to employ later that hinges on this aspect. I would just ignore them and move to farming in the dungeons over time, but I feel like it'd be an injustice to not actually try to interact with this system.

Of course, I won't really get around to any of this until another update or three.

CANDY: Hmm hmm! Cooking is so fun!

If you say so, kid.

Before I can leave, I need to ask about Rune Wonders to collect the last piece of the puzzle.

CANDY: Rune wonders are, in short, miracles that are caused by Runeys.

CANDY: If you can bring some Runeys over, I can try to wish for them to cause miracles.

BUSH: Bring Runeys?

CANDY: Here, take this with you.

Got the Harvester!

CANDY: You can gather nearby Runeys by using this "Harvester."

CANDY: The Runeys you gather will be inside your bag. So, just keep them there and talk to me.

CANDY: When you release those Runeys, they'll start wandering around in the area. You can take advantage of this to put Runeys where you want them.

So, yeah, the best way of managing the things are to abduct them and forcefully allocate them strategically.

Anyways, we've got all we need from the rather smart 10 year old, so let's talk to her sister.

Just like Kanno and her younger sister, she's got a rather neat hat. The giant zipper theme is a fashion statement of some kind- on the whole it's a very Rune Factory kind of outfit.

CINNAMON: ...

BUSH: Um...

CINNAMON: ...What?

BUSH: You fell from the sky, right?

BUSH: What was that all about?

CINNAMON: ...Candy can sing the Spirit Melody. She can communicate with the Spirits with her song.

I thought it was the "Spirit Song" though?

CINNAMON: We were running late so Candy asked the Spirits to carry us on their winds.

BUSH: Spirits...? Spirit Melody...?

This stuff's just not sticking in his head very well. Maybe all that passing out on the ground brought our amnesia back. Either that, or that landing gave him a concussion.

CINNAMON: Normal humans can't see the spirits. But they become visible when they group together in large numbers.

CINNAMON: ... You must have seen them somewhere.

Yeah, they're all over the place, photobombing my screenshots.

BUSH: The spirits...? Maybe I did...

CINNAMON: Grouped Spirits that become visible are called Runes or Runeys.

BUSH: Oh... So Runeys are just grouped Spirits... I didn't know that.

But you knew this already. Bush, are you okay?

BUSH: You're really knowledgeable, Cinnamon!

Well that, or it was some sort of way to line up a compliment.

CINNAMON: ...I just know about this a bit more than others.

I guess it worked.

It's worth noting her voice is rather tired and notably monotone all the time as well. I guess like the average college student in the morning. She's less shy, and more existentially empty. Like the average college student.

CINNAMON: ...I'm sleepy everyday.

CINNAMON: There's nothing you'd find interesting here, but make yourself at home.

CINNAMON: ... ... ...

BUSH: Um... um... What sort of hobbies do you have, Cinnamon?

CINNAMON: Celestial observation... and fishing.

Well, that's concise. Now you know what she's about. The majority of the time we talk to her, she'll be chilling out somewhere in town fishing.

So, if you remember the rooms we took a peek at before, it should be obvious this is Cinnamon's given all the fishing poles. Hopefully Bush can get one of his own soon, as fishing isn't too bad in this game.

Candy's room is rather basic by comparison.

Speaking of Candy, if you can't find her, this machine lets us look at the distribution the same way she does, and we can use that memo pad behind us to schedule Rune Wonders. She usually hangs out with Marco and is thus, hard to find, so I may end up using this at some point.

That's about all there is to the clock tower today.

LARA: Bush, please live your life so you don't have use my services here.

I find this is a better sentiment than Nurse Joy from Pokemon telling you to "come back again." Like, do you want my Pokemon to get beat up or something?

GANESHA: Nice! I was just out of this! I love considerate men! Just kidding.

It's been a while since we've seen our favorite elven smith, so I made a stop by with a gift of some iron.

I'd be concerned that she was just out of iron, but then again there's a lot more powerful metals in this world.

"Cinnamon - Magician girl living in the Clock Tower. Does not like talking. Likes fishing."

"Candy - Cinnamon's younger sister. Cannot use magic, but can speak to the Spirits."

I then take a stop to look at the profiles for Cinnamon and Candy. I just don't usually think to actively check these.

The Spirit Song/Melody isn't technically magic, apparently. It's mostly asking magic things to do magic for you from what I can tell, but isn't that using magic indirectly?

"Nolan - A frequent patron of the bathhouse. Loves bathhouses and cats."

Regardless of these questions, here is Nolan. The cat has much in the way of ragdoll physics, but I'm pretty sure it's alive.

Just... really chilled out. I... think.

Kross was on his roof, so no sad songs for the time being.

At this point I figured I'd show off our fancy new harvester. It's a multitool that can not only vaccuum in Runeys, but also collect items from our tamed monsters. No shears or milkers or whatnot eating up your inventory, just this thing.

I grab a decent number while I'm up here. They can survive endlessly in our pockets, so no need to worry about them or anything.

Might destabilize this place a little bit, but that's whatever, it's not really my focus right now.

A few updates back I pointed out the cherries on the trees. With our hammer, we've now got what we need to collect them.

Every time you hit the tree with a hammer, 1 fruit falls. There can be up to 4 on a tree, I think, and some can be rather hidden, so you'll spend a lot of extra RP trying to get every last one of them.

The fruit type changes based on the time of year and there's a cookable jam type for each of them, but what we really care about is that 150g sell price. You get a lot of these things, and they can more than easily pay for your early expenses.

Lake Poli has the big stash of them.

All in total, I got 31 of them, which is a good boost to our already bolstered wallet. I'm aiming to sweep up all the crucial stuff from Lute this weekend so that I can really start in earnest.

Oh, hey. It's Mist.

MIST: I've been having dreams a lot lately.

MIST: The other day, I was talking to a very large, fluffy chick.

MIST: It seems even chicks have a lot of troubles of their own, especially with seniority and whatnot...

This strengthens my theory that she's somehow managed to extract hallucinogens from turnips.

Either that, or this is actually code for something, Mist's Cant for something regarding our performance :tinfoil:

Better make sure we're in the clear.

CINNAMON: ...Nice weather.

Also on our property is Cinnamon. She's got two places on our homestead she'll show up at occasionally.

BUSH: Well? Are the fish biting?

CINNAMON: ...Somewhat.

It's probably because you're scaring them away, Bush.

BUSH: Oh.

CINNAMON: ...!

BUSH: What's wrong?

CINNAMON: Do you want to fish, too, Bush?

CINNAMON: I've had this for a long time. If you'd like, you can have it.

You got Cheap Pole!

This is another tool to fill out our collection. In not too long, we'll have all of them at our disposal. Fishing's not bad in this game either- it's a decent way to pick up some money, and cooking only improves it.

BUSH: Thank you.

BUSH: How do you use this fishing pole?

CINNAMON: You have to first equip the fishing pole and stand in front of water, then press the A Button to fish.

CINNAMON: When the fishing gauge is blue or green, press the A Button or pull the rod.

It's pretty similar to the crafting minigame, but this one has a notable difference.

The bar doesn't merely go back and forth. Instead, it bounces around the left side very lightly until a fish bites. Once that happens, it starts surging right, deciding at different points to start heading left. The input has the same kind of delay the crafting has, so you basically have to predict when the fish's pull is going to be strong enough.

This gif was the first attempt, and a fish bit immediately throwing me a bit off guard.

Got it on the next attempt though. As usual, hitting the green will give you a higher quality fish.

CINNAMON: ...Thank you. I like this.

I bestow my first catch to Cinnamon, as shockingly, she likes fish as gifts.

Rune Factory is a strictly pescatarian world, given the whole Retornen thing. Fish are eaten, unless they're a monster that just looks like a fish.

This world is confusing, don't think about it too hard.

It might be hard to see in the gif, but Cinnamon is constantly having to keep herself awake as she fishes. She really doesn't sleep good, evidently.

MELODY: So you're going to the Green Ruins...

MELODY: I don't think there are very good springs there.

It's late enough to stop by the bath, so I do that. The springs there are good for me at least, they're close by.

In an odd twist of expectations, Melody only likes the more common herb colors (Red, Yellow, Orange, and Black) and doesn't have as good a reaction to the more rare ones.

NOLAN: Hello.

NOLAN: The weather is very pleasant. A nice bath after working under the sun the whole day must feel very rewarding.

Nolan's basically always here.

The cherries bring a nice profit- and that's only half of them!

ROSETTA: By the way, I heard that you went exploring on that flying island.

ROSETTA: It's not bad to be a hard worker, but make sure you don't get yourself killed.

I'll be trying not to.

Managing the farm takes me well into the night. This will stop becoming as much of a thing once I can just get even the watering can upgraded.

And to top off the update, here's what Bush is looking like right now. Our level only ever goes up from combat, but increases our four base stats.

STR adds to melee damage via the ATK stat, VIT gives us more HP, INT affects spells via the MAG stat, and AGL gives us more DEF.

Profit wise, the turnips have been our biggest income. The next batch in the ground should serve to cover us for quite some time.

See you next time, where we meet yet another character!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
using a magic vacuum to enslave earthbound spirits to grow our crops better and make more profit.

metal as hell.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nice, love this series.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
I'm getting traumatic flashbacks to my first attempt at this game already. The Runeys may look amazing from an aesthetic viewpoint, but whoever designed their gameplay needs a swift kick in the butt.

Without player intervention, the ecosystem will collapse in a few months, and all your crops will take longer to grow. No, they don't tell you this in-game.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

MarquiseMindfang posted:

using a magic vacuum to enslave earthbound spirits to grow our crops better and make more profit.

metal as hell.

:black101:

MythosDragon posted:

Nice, love this series.

It's been a favorite of mine throughout the years, and it's been a lot of fun so far coming back to it after so much time away. Seven years away really gives you a fresh perspective on things.

sandorius posted:

I'm getting traumatic flashbacks to my first attempt at this game already. The Runeys may look amazing from an aesthetic viewpoint, but whoever designed their gameplay needs a swift kick in the butt.

Without player intervention, the ecosystem will collapse in a few months, and all your crops will take longer to grow. No, they don't tell you this in-game.

Yeah, I believe I touch on it a bit more in the next update, but this impending ecological disaster is real, and outside of a line in a book, the game never suggests this can really happen. You get a lot of vague information that you can make everything grow faster, but the slowdown is barely mentioned. And nothing tells you how the ecosystem is going to collapse eventually.

Also, managing the Runeys eats up an unbelievable amount of time thanks to how slow the harvester animation is.

I'm mostly going to try to stem the tide of destruction if I can, and hopefully end the game before it completely falls apart. If not, well, expect multiple updates of Bush: Trampolian Eco Warrior.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 09: Questionable

Another new day in Trampoli.

Today's an important day, even if the calendar doesn't know. Other Rune Factory games usually have this thing already pre-filled with birthdays and festival dates, but Frontier gives you no such mercy.

Caught up to Anette very early today.

Hey, this is a girl's handwriting...

So it's from your mother. You're living apart from her?

I think we've seen this already, but I included it again anyways.

Cinnamon remains brief no matter the medium.

Kanno's also sent us some advice about the Green Ruins.

"Monsters that grew to towering heights?" Psh, there's no chance of that.

:smith:

But I thought it still wasn't working?

Nothing really too new in the mail today. I was mostly following Anette to kill time until 9:00.

If you say so. I guess if you've got nothing else to do it might be.

Anyways, into the inn!

*Rapid footsteps*

Oh, hey. It's the character from Fantasy Japan. They're a staple for the Rune Factory series.

*Loud crash*

I'll be honest, I don't know if we somehow hit her while opening the door, or that we just decked her in the face. This cutscene goes by fast, and still doesn't make much sense when slowed down through screenshots.

At least we didn't get hurt this time, but it really does seem like everywhere Bush goes people are out unconsious or getting hurt somehow.

She's awake, so I guess this isn't another person that needs to be dragged off to the clinic.

She is another girl that Bush is apologizing to.

Aaah! A monster?!

Milady...

I said I am fine!

Milady...

Yes, he says this twice. This is 'milady' as in before fedora-tipping milady.

By the way, do you abide here?

Yes, I do...

A NEW QUEST IS AVAILABLE

...She's leaving, so I guess

QUEST ACCEPTED

Well, hell. Guess we gotta go find her- Bush didn't even get a chance to introduce himself and say that he moved here recently!

I've been trying to hand Eunice some random stuff because we really don't have anything she likes right now. One of the things she likes is sold in the bar, but I won't even remember to buy that an in-game week from now.

Yeah, I'm still on that quest, why do you ask?

This is all part of the search, I assure you. Trout's a good fish for early sashimi, if I remember right.

You could say that, I guess.

I need to read it from time to time not to forget...

This whole looking at someone's bed thing is very weird.

Oh...

:iiam:

Music: Town Buildings

I like you! You should become my student!

What?! N-no thanks...

Don't deny the pursuit of KNOWLEDGE, Bush. :eng101:

What?

Now I need you to run an errand for me. Find a "Cheap Cloth" for me to use in an experiment.

Huh?! Why me?

Selphy is looking to join Cinnamon in being sleepy all the time.

I go ahead and nab these two crafting books for this weekend. The cooking book will let us make sashimi a lot easier, which is a good way to quickly work our cooking skill up. The weaponry book won't be of too much help immediately, but it will come in handy later.

"On your field, tree branches and stumps may get in the way of tilling. If you see them, chop them with an axe to turn them into lumber. Just remember, you need a good axe to remove tree stumps."

"If you do not till your farm, things such as weeds and rocks will appear. If you find getting rid of them to be a pain in the neck, till your entire farm."

"Tilled land never reverts unless a storm blows by. There is not stopping nature, so if this happens to you, do not give up and till again."
--------------------------------------------------------

Good info in this book, but part of me feels like it should've been called Happy Little Farm. Maybe I've watched too much Bob Ross.

Here's that second floor I said exists.

Rosetta was up here for some reason.

I'm still looking for that other girl, don't worry.

You can go up into the stands of this amphitheatre place. Sometimes the kids are up here.

Of course, I'd beat them up right away if I saw them.

Sure, kid, as long as you don't attack my tamed monsters.

...When I, uh, get some. I assure you we will, eventually.

This is the first time I saw so many Runeys.

I don't know why... but... It feels... sad...

Ah! Don't mind what I just said!

Candy predicts my inevitable ruining of the ecosystem by trying to do this Runey thing.

Not every fish can be made into sashimi, but this Char can. They're not a common catch though, so I'll probably want to find a better location if I'm to grind cooking skill up.

If you enter early on some days, you'll find Melody cleaning the baths.

She tells us some of her dark, unclean past.

I-I like them.

Good answer, Bush.

Baths are great. They can wash your soul! Take a bath once a day for happiness to come to you!♪

What's that?

It's like a theme of mine. Haha.

Melody hits us with a hot, new slogan that praises basic hygiene. Either that, or she's breaking the fourth wall and identifying her main character trait.

Sixty screenshots ago I said today was an important day, and this is why!

Then I proceed to smash my sword into the walls of her establishment for a few minutes. This is a minor exploit I only learned of late in my last time playing this game, and it is one thing I remembered clearly. The Weapons, Magic, Farming, Lumber, and Mining skills can all be raised by swinging their respective equipment at nothing, and using up excess RP and HP doing this can really build those skills up over time.

One bath later and it's all back. I've really not got all that much work to do today.

...What? No, I didn't forget about that person from this morning.

By the way...

Nolan, I need this bathhouse, don't get me kicked out with alch-

Um.

Grass Juice. Sure.

Thank you.

Oh hey, another request today!

What is it?

Let's see...

Now then, what do you do with your extra strawberries?

That's, er, not much of a story, exactly. I'm not sure what that was, translators.

But we do have more multiple choice shenanigans!

------------------------------------------------
Put into the shipping box.

I would put them into the shipping box.

That's unexpected. Lute answered the same way.

I see...

Give to a girl you like.

I would give them to a girl that I like.

That's a wonderful choice. That's just like you, Bush.

I see...

Turn them into jam.

I think I would turn them into jam before they spoiled.

That's unexpected. Lara also chose the jam.

I see...

Share them with the villagers.

I think I would enjoy sharing them with the villagers.

That's a wonderful choice. That's just like you, Bush.

I see...

What answer is canon for Bush? He's pretty likely to any of these, so I think it's up to you to decide.

This seems like it was supposed to be some kind of hint conversation regarding who likes strawberries, as both Nolan and Lara both like them. In this case, Rosetta would make more sense in place of Lute given her profit-oriented nature.

I guess I'm looking into this too deeply.

What was that...?

When I think about it, those could be the same woolies that were following Anette around from the intro.

I wonder what's up with them, myself. The game will likely never deliver on this, but one can hope.

Back to wandering around I guess.

I can't help it. We're way in the countryside.

Given that Rosetta was able to walk here and back regularly for a few days, It's probably not that far away. She was able to keep the store in Kardia well stocked, so I don't know what to tell you, Danny.

Regardless, I do end up buying a Pendant from him. I'll end up replacing it soon, but it's a notable boost to our DEF given we have none.

This might seem like a waste, but it'll save our life in the coming updates.

Rosetta's also outside looking out at this rock spot now. She's in all sorts of weird places today.

What is it?

It's not something for me to worry about since I'm running the general store...

But, I think you should at least save a little money.

I'm going to be getting this from people for a while, and I don't know if it's the game actually reacting to how much gifting I'm doing or it just happens to be a well-fitting coincidence. Gonna assume the former.

While she's not wrong, and I'm losing a decent bit of possible profit (about 1000g) each day, I've got enough on me right now that I'm good.

Besides, I'm trying quickly push as many of the bachelorettes' LP up as I can on purpose. I want the thread to see as much of each character as I can before I open up the votes for our eventual choice.

I never get tired of just looking at her.

I'm thinking the first of those votes is gonna be somewhere a week or two into Summer, when we'll have finally seen all but one of the choices, and it'll be a sort of elimination round to lower the number of girls I have to put time towards buying the affections of with material possessions.

The idea of not gifting things to everyone in a casual playthrough will be a bit strange to me, because I usually just hand out stuff so I can see new dialogue. I don't really mind the glacial pace, but I'll see if it ends up being necessary.

Anyways, enough about me rambling about LP stuff, back to the actual LP.

These sparkly bamboo shoots are the ones spawned by Candy's free Miracle yesterday.

But without the librarian, you probably can't find any good books.

The Selphy Decimal system isn't common use yet, apparently.

Char Sashimi has a Cooking Skill of 19, so the minigame is notably more... compact. We can still get away with this, but some things will be too far out of Bush's ability to even attempt. Previous games had all crafting set to a random chance based on skill instead of a minigame, so this is a much better deal in the end.

I want this sashimi for a reason, you'll see why in a minute.

Empty out our bars before heading to bed, and...

Tomorrow it happens to be raining! This means I don't have to water my crops. This is great!

It also means there's no music but ambient rain sounds almost everywhere. This is less than great.

But people also stay in easy to find locations on rainy days, so all in all, this is still a plus.

As a solution to this, on rainy days, I will merely link some other songs.

Music: AC- Rainy Day

I was going to link the music from RF1's Town Square, but I couldn't find it by itself. Have this somewhat related track instead.

Too bad it's raining. I'm worried that the letters will get wet.

Anette still delivers on rainy days. No rain, nor snow, nor storm, nor monsters will stop her delivery :black101:

But considering how much mail I have to carry, I can't trade for a smaller bag.

BUt carrying a bag that's too big can be dangerous.

I-I didn't...

She's actually about as tall as we are, really. This dialogue happens to be well voiced... use of "midget" aside.

Another occasion of this game showing it's age from time to time.

Cinnamon is also having to hold back falling asleep while looking at these books. Mornings are hard.

Yes... You can see many constellations when you look up at the night sky in this village... I recommend going to the observatory to do it.

I guess so. I'll try it out later.

Ah... but I don't know anything about constellations.

Thank you very much. I can't wait.

So this is a neat little side mechanic, and is pretty much the main reason the "look up at the sky" feature exists at all.

Cinnamon will tell us when there is something to be seen and give a rough time estimate of when to do it. A number of them are related to other bachelorettes and provide a small, LP boosting scene and other rewards, while others just get us neat worldbuilding dialogue from Cinnamon. Seeing any of them is a small boost to her LP, so I'm going to go out of my way to try and see them all.

A turnip...? That's a strange constellation.

...I guess. If you want to see the Turnip Constellation, look up at the night sky while it's still early.

She'll also give us a rough estimate of when to stay up to see things.

Music: Kross' Theme

Yes.

Do you know? You can make friends with monsters. Equip this "Pet Glove" and rub the monsters with it.

You got Pet Glove!

If you can communicate to them, they'll be your friends.

Ahaha... That's amazing.

So, yes, taming in Rune Factory is furiously petting wild creatures until they stop mauling you. Just like how managing the environment is about abducting the spirits of the earth with a futuristic vaccuum cleaner.

Of course, there are monsters that will refuse to accept you no matter what.

By the way, even if you manage to befriend a monster, it won't be your companion if it doesn't have a place to live.

They greatly reduced the cost of them, which is nice. That, or maybe Kross is just that drat good he can do it with less for less.

:unsmith:

I just wanted to talk...

One does not get in the way of Selphy and her books.

Ahaha...

:allears:

~Cooking for Men:~
"You there!
Do you think 'men and kitchens don't mix'? If so, then you are condemning yourself to a life of unpopularity!
You, sir, must cook!"

"To begin cooking, you must first enter a kitchen.
...Seriously.
So many people do not realize this."

"Now, just because you are in a kitchen does not make you a master chef. Let us first look at some tools. TO start, you need a frying pan, a pot, an oven, a steamer, and a blender. Use them accordingly."

This book is something else.

We'll get those tools later, but Bush is doing rather well with just a knife and cutting board for now. A hammer and tongs alongside a mortar and pestle are what we need first.

Did you get the right equipment? You'll be in a world of pain if you're not careful.

She's not wrong, I meant it when I said Green Ruins was a bit above our punching weight right now. The enemies we saw aren't too bad, but believe me, they ramp up in difficulty fast.

People just naturally become closer the more I talk to them.

Eunice proves that she understands the mechanics of the world that surround her.

And yet, we're not very good friends still.

Hey! Stop looking through my books!

S-sorry...

Bush's pursuit for knowledge is hindered yet again. :eng99:

I want to work hard at it, but I just can't continue long enough...

I just find it unrewarding myself. Never been good with being consistent about exercise.

Not yet. Too busy selling it for cash.

Rita reveals she endures an unclean soul in the pursuit of capitalism. Melody would be shocked.

Also, you don't do anything until 6 PM anyways, I'm sure you can find the time.

Oh no, she's evaluating our performance again-

GIFT GIFT GIFT

Crisis averted, I think.

I obtain some strawberry seeds to set up my endless supply in Green Ruins.

I personally like Autumn more myself, but Spring is cool too.

Also, Rosetta is just here in the rain. There's er, not really much of an overhang there.

I also gather some Runeys for a bit. This area's going to be useful for something I'm going to try to do with the environment later.

Music: Green Ruins (RF1 Carmite Remix)

Dungeon music does play on rainy days, which is nice.

Bush prepares to head in deeper, but we'll have to save that for next time!

...What? I didn't forget anything.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ah yes Runeys. On later playthroughs I just cheated infinite amounts of them in my inventory. An interesting experiment to be sure but not something g so want to repeat

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Oh my gosh I love this game. The RF series is one of my favorites, and I know I played the heck out of this one. I forgot how bouncy the main theme is.

I def never figured out the Runey mechanic when I was a kid, and I have strong opinions about one of Eunice’s side quests, but I won’t spoil it.

If you haven’t already explained it, how are you playing the game? I sold my wii ages ago but if it’s on Switch I may have to buy it again :)

Also 99% sure I have/had the strategy guide for this one. I always bought them for the HM/RF games, as the art was so cute in them!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Dr Pepper posted:

Ah yes Runeys. On later playthroughs I just cheated infinite amounts of them in my inventory. An interesting experiment to be sure but not something g so want to repeat

If my attempts at Runey management fail, I've got some workarounds, but in my current playing ahead, I'm mostly managing it.

It's definitely something I'll get to covering later, but I think the most egregious thing about Runeys is how tedious they are to manage. The harvester is very slow, and you have to hunt out individual runeys when it comes to trying to rebalance the ecosystem. If using the harvester just let you select how many of each you want to draw out of the area, it'd be a lot better. Still not perfect, but better.

EDIT: Looks like Update 11 is going to be the big Runey update, and it's... a lot. There's a lot more than I even knew initially regarding all of it. I do have a plan for the future now though.

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

Oh my gosh I love this game. The RF series is one of my favorites, and I know I played the heck out of this one. I forgot how bouncy the main theme is.

I def never figured out the Runey mechanic when I was a kid, and I have strong opinions about one of Eunice’s side quests, but I won’t spoil it.

If you haven’t already explained it, how are you playing the game? I sold my wii ages ago but if it’s on Switch I may have to buy it again :)

Also 99% sure I have/had the strategy guide for this one. I always bought them for the HM/RF games, as the art was so cute in them!

I know what you're referring to in regards to Eunice, but yeah, keep that under wraps for now.

I've only made brief mentions of it, but I'm just playing this on emulator- they didn't port it to the Switch, alas. I just ripped the disc with my homebrewed Wii and I've been playing it in Dolphin. I have a capture card and I know how to properly deinterlace it, but I preferred the idea of having cleaner screenshots. It also helps to have savestates and the ability to dump textures at runtime (how I'm getting the sprites and portraits for this).

(Of odd note on the technical side, a number of the character portraits are slightly squashed in the files and others aren't. I tried to remedy this in the little dialogue faces, but not all of them are perfect.)

I don't have any strategy guides for the Rune Factory or Harvest Moon series despite my collection of them, but what I do have is Rune Factory Memoirs, which is an artbook they only released in Japan that covers RF1 to RF3, with Frontier included. I'll try to scan some of the pages later on, if I get a chance.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 3, 2021

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 10: Questionable, Part 2

We resume today's lesson in medias res!

To the right of the entrance is a series of shortcut staircases we can use once we unlock them. Given that it takes much longer to traverse dungeons in this game than it does in others, this will be much appreciated.

My main goal for today is to unlock the first one.

One of the things I did not note last time we were here is this collection of rocks blocking this path. There's a secret area back here that can net us some better metals, but these rocks happen to be immune to our cheap hammer, (and also the iron hammer,) just like many of the rocks still on our farm.

Reaching the pathway to more farmland, we instead take a right for now and cut a vine to see more of this floor.

Hiding behind the gate it spawned from is a Spring. It's a very inventive name compared to the original name of Plant. They spit out balls of slow moving energy in a spread of three to five orbs each. These really don't hurt that much unless you get shotgunned by them, but their later palette swaps are immensely deadly.

Taking out those spawners for some experience, I then remember this path doesn't actually lead forward in the dungeon. Instead it's just this big stone plateau with some fancy engravings and such.

I honestly forgot what this is for, maybe it's a teleporter to the bottom floor or something.

Heading up to the farmlands and taking a somewhat easy to miss southern passage, we're back on track.

This takes us out and around the plateau in the center to some more rooms on the side.

As well as even more farmland. You could very much make it by with just dungeon farming and ignoring the Homestead if you wanted to.

It's not a good idea for a lot of reasons, the amount of time it consumes just coming down here for one, but you could do it.

There's also a staircase to a deeper floor here.

Down here is... you guessed it, even more farmland. Bush stops to gather up the free herbs and move on.

The second floor is a lot like the first, navigating around this big, cylindrical pit. We head south first, as I'm making a beeline for the shortcut.

Down here are also Slimes. Not of the cutesy Dragon Quest style, more of a sentient pile of muck. These are also in Whale Island's cave, just a bit further down than we've gone so far, so they're not particularly dangerous. They can either try to slap us, or burrow under ground to spike out from underneath us. They'll sometimes drop scrap metal when defeated, a rather meh reward.

The level up I net from fighting them is appreciated, as even though I wasn't very hurt, this next room is going to be... something.

There happens to be a giant feather on the ground over here near the other spawner, but we can't take it with us.

Still highly unlikely that there's some giant creature in this ruin, I assure you. I press on in to the southward room.

Spawning in quickly and trying to conceal themselves are Big Mucks, which are more of mushrooms than anything else.

Don't let their goofy smile decieve you, they move very fast...

...And they hit for way too much damage in a big AoE spore attack. Bush losing nearly a fifth of his HP from just one hit is very bad, and they're barely being hurt by our attacks, just to make it worse. That 5 damage is ours, it's dealing 18 to us.

The fact that they can also inflict status effects hammers home that this place is out of our equipment level right now.

The spores inflict Paralysis, which forces Bush to walk a slow pace instead of his normal jog.

In my desperate attempt to deal damage to them, one sneaks up behind me and hits me with a lick dealing over a quarter of Bush's max HP. It also inflicts Exhaustion, doubling RP use until it wears off.

Taking another hard hit to the back, Bush is on the verge of knockout and with me being unable to run away, I quickly bail out with the Return spell.

I wasn't far from unlocking the shortcut, but attempting to fight these things cost me that opportunity. Had I not bought that Pendant last update, this might've KOed us.

Yeah, 7 HP out of 109 was cutting it too close.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with these debuffs for quite a while.

It took me a whole in-game hour to walk to the infirmary at a painfully slow pace just to have it wear off at the doorway. :rolldice:

Well, at least I didn't have to pay anything.

With nothing much left to do with the day, I remember the bar exists, and that I haven't been there yet. I kill some time until 6:00 PM and finally head in.

It's only been 8 updates of me saying I'd eventually remember.

Music: Snowstyle Tavern

(Hey, we finally get to hear this track! It's very chill, and I'll be honest, it's one of the tracks I've heard the least of in this game. Only opening after six makes this place easy to overlook.)

Just one more...

I guess it doesn't help profits much when you're drinking your own supply.

But I'm already here.

This is the first time we've seen any expression out of Rita that wasn't her usual smile.

The bar's main function is as a store, and is honestly a better general store than Danny's offerings. Of main note is the basic cooking materials such as Rice, Flour, Chocolate, Eggs, and more. As we get into making more complicated gifts for the townsfolk, we'll have to remember to come here often.

Rice is awfully expensive at 260g each, but the only gift that Selphy likes that we can even make right now is the Rice Ball. Her favorite gift, like the favorite of most bachelorettes in this game, is a cooking recipe needing a highly upgraded kitchen and around 70+ skill.

Ganesha evidently comes here to get hammered before going back to hammering.

Melody informs us that we could drink the water from the hot springs. I don't think this is that good of an idea.

To contemplate this matter, I leave Bush standing in the rain for 2 hours.

Seriously.

I told you last update I didn't forget :v:

To where did you go the other time? I had asked for your aid!

Bush isn't wrong though :colbert:

You be quiet. I suppose I have not introduced myself as yet.

This noisy little one is...

Graaagh! Milady, I am...

And now we've finally met this dynamic duo. Uzuki is odd in that as far as I know, this is the earliest you can properly meet her. Despite the game making it seem like you need to search for her, she's just not around. If there is a proper way to find her, I don't know it and I can't find any info on it.

Give it two days and she just shows up normally in town, or you can meet her 1 day earlier by waiting until 8:00 and finding her at the bathhouse.

You shall refrain from having impure thoughts of any sort about her. As long as I am alive I...

Old man...

That is... I am only doing this for you, milady...

I will be sure to give him a good scolding later so please forgive him.

I don't mind.

Being highly protective of Uzuki, and not liking Bush very much as result, is pretty much what Tsubute does.

You said you were looking for someone, correct?

That is correct.

Who are you looking for?

I see... Well, if I find out anything, I'll be sure to tell you about it.

You have my thanks.

That is certainly an admirable offer!

Haha...

Uzuki primarily likes sashimi. Because Fantasy Japan, I guess. It's usually an easy guess between the Rune Factory games which character likes sashimi, but it's usually not their favorite item. In our case, it's still a pretty easy gift to get in spite of not every fish having a sashimi recipe.

After her initial introduction, Uzuki's just kind of around without much fanfare. She is the 8th in our ever growing list of bachelorettes.

She does have a neat hat and a fancy naginata though.

Also Stella is just here in the corner. I almost couldn't tell she was there at first.

I don't really think this is the place for a sermon.

Though, Melody's always on about this cleaning our soul, so maybe...?

Anyways, time to grab a bath and swing my sword at the wall for a while before I hit the bed.

Nothing out of the ordinary happens.

I said, nothing out of the ordinary happens! :argh:

:sigh:

Being made in 2008, this game has bathhouse fanservice scenes it it. I don't really know why they thought this was necessary, but they're there.

There's no nudity or anything at least, it's just overhearing their often barely risque conversation through the wall because :japan:

Music: Confusion

I wasn't really a fan of these 7-8 years ago and that hasn't really changed, so I'll just briefly summarize them if they happen unless the thread really wants me to post these in full.

In the case of this one, it's probably the most tame. Uzuki just sings this little song, and then gets embarassed for some reason because Stella overheard her.

Music: Sadness/Resolve

Bush also passes out from this, from what I can only assume is overheating.

That's what I'm going with.

And we exit the bath with a slight reduction to our RP. It's so minimal, I don't understand the point of it.

I say this knowing I'd dislike these scenes more if the reduction was more severe,

Music: Summer

Changing topics, you can look at the sky while it's raining. That water Runey sure is having fun.

Enjoy it while it lasts, I'll be back to vaccuum you up eventually.

I also synthesize some Rice Balls. I still go for doing it with expertise because I may end up needing to eat one in a panic at some point, and I believe it's worth more cooking experience.

It's not just because I like the "woaaah" sound bite.

okay, it's mostly because i like the woaah

As I grind weapon skill across the house, I end up in this corner. The pharmacy and forge will end up here when I do get them.

And with that, it's time for a new day!

I entirely forgot Anette gets the weekends off.

Regardless, that gives me more time to collect all of these turnips. This will be a healthy profit.

Music: Trampoli

Now that Uzuki has been introduced to Trampoli, we'll find her spending from 6 AM to noon practicing her naginata in the square. It makes it rather easy to get gifts to her.

And yes, she is training with it for 6 hours straight. :black101:

How are you doing, Bush?

A good thing too, as her dialogue runs into default lines extremely quickly with low FP/LP numbers.

You can tell me if you ever tear your clothes, Bush.

As Bush's clothes are indestructible and we don't have anything else to wear, ever, I'll take your word for it.

I don't see anyone stopping you. Go for it.

It's the weekend and I don't see any customers and your husband said the same thing.

I'm sure you two can figure something out.

Even Ganesha's not working today.

There is one person working today, and he's what we've been waiting for.

I nab the first tier forge and first tier pharmacy, though our current finances are just too low to afford the Seed Maker and it's price tag of 5000g.

With all the turnips we'll have shipped out this afternoon, it won't be a problem to get it as well.

Selphy's also working today, just because. As I mentioned earlier in the update, this isn't actually her favorite gift, though it sure sounds like it.

Of note is this bookshelf, which is tricky to interact with given the proximity of the ladder.

-------------------------------------
~Runes and Runeys~
"What do you know about the Runes that have become a part of our daily lives?"

"Collectives of earth Spirits are also known as 'Crystallized Runes' or, Runes for short. These are seen mainly on farms and rich soil, and thanks to the power of the Spirits, touching one can restore your vigor."

"Runeys are yet another form of collective Spirits. They only appear in certain places but bless the land around them more assertively."

"However, Runeys and Runes cannot occupy the same space. Where Runeys are, Runes are not."

"If you want to see Runes where Runeys can be found, try growing crops in dungeons."

--------------------------------------

The things I transcribe in the search for KNOWLEDGE.

Also, I decided to read another book. Thanks, past me.

~Intro to Runey Research~

"It is well-known that in some parts of the world, Runes have altered in form and exist what are called 'Runeys'."

"Runeys come in 4 types and they make up a food chain in this order: water > rock > tree > grass.
In other words, more grass means more trees, which means more rocks, and so forth."

"The more Runeys there are in an area, the faster the crops in that area will grow. Since Runeys are bound in a food cycle, it's considered ideal to have a stable balance of all 4 types."

This isn't really accurate to mechanics, and calling it a "food cycle" is incorrect, as it's not. I'll go over the specifics more when I get around to trying my hand at managing them in the next update.

I will note that this food chain is direly unstable. The game does nothing to tell us that the ecosystem will eventually collapse on its own without our intervention.

Stella said that she used to live there before the church was built.

Mist once again shows her expertise at getting things for free.

That or she's got blackmail on the nun

There is a dungeon where it's always spring. Maybe I should move there...

It's right outside your house. You know, where the jpeg grass you asked me to cut was?

I'd rather she not drag Bush to live down there as well, so we continue paying the turnip dues.

Lara's just over here cleaning this desk. It's rather squeaky.

I would say I used that mysterious thing called the Internet, but this is one of the few I can claim I know from experience.

On RF1 I used to make most of my money through strawberries, so one day I just started handing out some low level ones to everybody in town.

I usually just look these things up though. Grinding FP/LP to the point of them telling you their preferred gifts takes forever when you don't know what they are.

Something I noticed while proofreading is that I keep screenshotting giving Lara something rather than any of her lines. I think it's that her conversations are just unfortunately not that interesting early on.

Random chatter aside, it's time for something far more important.

It is time...! :yeshaha:

Second tier tools! At last!

Never was there a more relieving sight!

:eyepop:

Now when we approach our field, we get this zoomed out perspective.

The tin can holds 3 more tiles of water, which seems a pittance, but therein lies it's true power:

We can now use a special attack with it and water 3 tiles simultaneously, for the price of 1 unit of water. That means we can water 5 full 3x3 groups before going back to get water, a fantastic increase up from our original 1 1/3 groups from before.

It also saves time and RP overall, so it's an even better deal!

If you've played the older Rune Factory games, you know just how big a quality of life improvement this is.

Kross also came to check out our farm. What a cool dude. :unsmith:

On Holidays and festivals he's got other stuff to do, asking for house improvements only nets us a response telling us he's busy.

Cinnamon's up on the mountain road on Holidays.

Crowns? Like the kind that kings wear on their heads?

...Yes.

Oh. It must be a grand looking constellation then.

You can only see the Crown Constellation after midnight. Try to stay up for it.

This one's hard to do as it's late enough at night that we actually take penalties for being up that long. I'll still do it anyways.

Bathhouse Melody is also up here.

Yeah, I'm not really sure how the logistics on anything related to the bathhouse works. Does new hot water just rain down occasionally from Whale Island?

Try not to think about it too hard.

But I always come here.

Ah, this got translated well. This was a separate dialogue that just consisted of these two lines.

A few more cherries are obtained, for some extra pocket change.

It's a nice day to go out on the lake as well.

Or just collect even more cherries.

No chance, kid, now that I've got these upgrades :cool:

Well, given Bush only has about 15 HP right now after all that cherry gathering, he could probably take us out in one swing.

It's the first time I've ever seen an island floating in the sky.

One would think you could see Whale Island from far away, given it's height, but that honestly depends on this planet's curvature.

Although, in RF4 you can see it from a long distance through the telescopes, so it's really hard to say without an actual map of continent.

I tell you, Melody is a lifesaver for running this place on Holidays. And as long as I get here at 3:00 PM, there's not any :japan: going on.

Except on Holidays, apparently. :sigh:

This one's between Eunice and her mother, Rita, and I guess actually leans on the more risque side somehow. At least it ends on the nice note of Rita telling Eunice to have more confidence in her looks.

It's not a very long conversation, none of these are, but this is likely the earliest way for you to find out that body image is a problem for her. :smith:

(Outside of this, we don't really see hints of it until Summer, and it doesn't really show up until her first event happens.)

So if you were wondering what Eunice's deal was outside of housework, here it is.

Unable to wash his soul thanks to the unbelievably thin walls and/or astounding acoustics of the bathhouse, Bush collects the last of the turnips and goes on a pickling spree.

He also eats for the first time since he got here, consuming the lower quality pickled turnips for the energy to keep making better pickled turnips.

It's a loss of profits, but these profits will be big regardless and I'm just trying to grind the cooking skill up.

18 level 2 Pickled Turnips, 9 cherries, and 10 normal turnips all go in the box for a profit of 8526g.

I've still got 34 turnips on hand and 2 lesser pickled ones for food later. I'll just not let Mist know that I'm carrying so many on me.

And now we prepare ourselves for a last minute sprint.

I'm making this harder on myself by bothering to wait for Rosetta, as the money just enters your pockets immediately if you don't wait for this scene, but I'm also gonna take any free LP points I can get.

yeah sure, hand me the money

here's a gift

Lute!

Luuuuuuuuuuute!

Don't close up just yeeeeeeeee-

Cool, thanks. See ya, Thursday, mate.

So, the Seed Maker. It does what Lute says. We put crops in...

We get a seed back. Pretty simple stuff.

Now, was this really all that important? Not at the moment, no.

The main use for the Seed Maker is with crops that have been fertilized, an act which increases their resulting level by 1. You can only fertilize a plant once though, (and we presently lack the means to do it), so the idea is that you put that leveled up crop in here and get leveled up seeds in return.

Repeat in a loop, and you'll eventually end up with level 10 crops. Or just level 9 crops, as you can get that level 10 through expert synthesizing.

For the time being, it'll eventually pay for itself in the form of not needing to re-buy seeds from Erik. The very expensive stuff we can buy just one seed of and just make our own seeds from the produce.

We'll also want this for a rare item we'll get months from now.

:hmmno:

This however is a hilarious waste if they're not leveled up.

One turnip sells for 210g and a bag of seeds cost 10g. If you sold the turnip, you could buy 21 seed bags instead of just making one with a seed maker.

I'll let you ponder that ridiculous economy for a bit.

Gonna go stare at the stars now.

runeys, please

(also them crowding on you when looking up is no joke an intended mechanic)

That...?

Music: Let the Games Begin!

(This starts playing, though it's meant for festivals later. It also fades out about 7 seconds in.)

Oh, no! Let's go take a look right now!

Music: Trampoli Daily Life

...Huh.

Mist... I'm fine.

That's good. Still...

It looks like the little chicks have been busy. but they forget about seniority.

Huh?

Don't misunderstand...

Good night...

:ohdear:

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 19, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Okay that final Mist scene, her vaguely evil implications has to be intentional, right? Just look at that!

I've been liking the game as you've played it so far, it looks like a solid entry.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Either Mist broke into Bush's house, decorated the living room with turnips, and accused Bush of being a turnip lover. Or looking at the Turnip constellation caused a turnip meteor to hit Bush's house. I don't know which to believe, but either way, I love it.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 11: The Runey Situation

I think the official update schedule is now Wednesdays and Saturdays. If it seems like progress is slow, that's just Frontier. When we hit about Summer 10th then things will speed up dramatically after the first round of bachelorette voting.

Yeah, Mist just leaves after saying you share the same interests, A.K.A. turnips. Any mention of the whole fluffy chicks thing in that conversation was all me.

but what if it wasn't

What I didn't explain last time in favor of my joke is that certain constellations correspond to a girl in town and trigger a tiny, one-time event with them. This happens to raise their LP, as well as still raising Cinnamon's.

Before I call this night, I plant a bunch more turnips and get them watered.

The goal is to stop using this out of whack field configuration by Summer. Now that I have better tools, I can start working towards that. I'll be using just the front half of the field, and letting the back half stay a lumberyard and herb garden.

UZUKI - Comes from a distant land of the East. Loves to learn about cultures.

Here's Uzuki's profile. Her naginata will never not be cool.

It's a new day!

Unfortunately, I was too busy picking strawberries and missed Anette at our house.

ANETTE: Huh? It's for me? Thanks!

So I just caught up to her outside of Mist's house instead.

ANETTE: The sun feels so nice. I'm sure it would be great to take a nap in this weather.

I dunno, last few time Bush tried sleeping on the ground it didn't go so well.

"I'm counting on you." - Uzuki

Bush, I wonder if this letter will reach you.
I would like to apologize for the other day.
I have overstepped my bounds.

I hear you are quite the adventurer.
If you find anything, anything at all that could be
related to my brother, please inform me promptly.

A large part of Uzuki's characterization is this search for her brother, and it'll be the focus of her events for the most part.

She's also probably the most formal speaking character, outdated english included.

"Do you abide here" is also just stuck in my brain for some reason.

Trout Sashimi Lv: 3 was synthesized with expertise!

Gotta remember to slice specific fish into tiny raw cuts every morning.

I'll still forget to from time to time, but hunting down sashimi fish is a lot harder than say, Cinnamon, who'll take anything.

Might as well go ahead and deliver it before I forget.

DANNY: Buy some vegetable seeds while you're here.

Hey, what's up Dan-

what

suddenly bright pink grocery store

------------------------------------------------------
What pleasant weather we're having.
It's perfect for going on a picnic with a nice boxed lunch.

You people and your boxed lunches. If I didn't know better, I'd say Turner wrote this sign.

[Materia]
Business Hours: 9am to 6pm / Closed Holidays

Guess we'll just have to come back later. Might as well check in on the letters while I'm here. First up's the Bathhouse.

ANETTE: It's a letter from Sharron! ♪

Sharron hung around the entrance to the 6th dungeon in RF1, and was probably a ghost or something. Regardless, the only things she had any interest in was ruins, the dragon Grimoire, and Melody.

She's a required part of marrying Melody in the first game, being the only way you can find out about her backstory.

ANETTE: "Trampoli Trade Association." We actually have one?

ANETTE: "Chairperson Rosetta"! What?! Rosetta is the chairperson? Wow...

Yep, that'd explain it. Rosetta's urge to do capitalism strikes again.

TSUBUTE: Good morning, Anette. Please shoot that arrow with a letter attached to it at Bush.

ANETTE: Tsubute, be sure to place the letters inside the mailbox.

The game just automatically cuts to doing Uzuki's mail here. I think this was meant to be done at the Snowstyle's mailbox but it'll be like this from now on. I just managed to make it stranger by having Uzuki properly join the town and Rosetta build her shop all on the same day.

And yes, Tsubute requests that we be shot every time.

ANETTE: Ganesha, you got an order from Kardia!

There's our hometown.

I wonder what's up with the farm there now that Mist isn't around to scam people into having to take care of it.

UZUKI: Bush, I heard you went to the Green Ruins. If you find anything about Brother, please tell me.

BUSH: Yes, of course.

UZUKI: Thank you.

ANETTE: It's a letter for Rita! It's a picture postcard. I wonder where it's from.

Stop the presses, the Snowstyle got mail that was somewhat interesting!

ANETTE: I feel like some... "Chinese Bun" right now!

There is also a Fantasy China in this world, courtesy of Xiao Pai and Lin Fa from Rune Factory 4. It is not called China, therefore I must wonder where they got this name from.

Anyways, this means it's 9:00 AM now, so it's time to check out that new store.

Fancy place...

And a familiar face!

ROSETTA: Welcome to Materia!

This looks... a bit off. It's not just me, right?

Although, I guess you can say that about a lot of the cutscenes.

BUSH: R-Rosetta?!

ROSETTA: Haha... I knew you'd be surprised.

ROSETTA: I moved over here. Starting today, this is my store and my castle.

ROSETTA: Come again.

And then she says this like we're leaving. :shrug:

ROSETTA: I'll still buy the things in the shipping box even if it's not crop-related. But don't put garbage in there.

But where else do I put it? It's traditional Harvest Moon gameplay to treat the shipping bin like a trash can.

I'm still not selling my collection of weeds, regardless. I was forced to make that mistake in the past, but never again!

Now that's a selection!

If you were wondering all this time where the flower shop was, this is it. Erik only sells vegetables, and Danny only sells Turnip seeds. I have to wonder if this weird delay in getting access to these prompted them putting the flower shop so front and center with RF3.

Still, it's a much better deal than what RF4 sticks us with, even if we're already halfway through Spring.

Most flowers take a while to grow, but they usually sell pretty well overall. Well, except for Moondrops. Outside of them being a flower, they're pretty much a worse turnip in terms of profit.

They are good for gifts though.

Some flowers take a ridiculous amount of time to grow, like Lamp Grass at 90 days, which requires them to be grown inside of dungeons as otherwise the season changing kills them. I never bother with these, really.

RF1 gave them the weird name of Phantom Crops, I guess because they shouldn't exist. How did we ever get seeds for these if they can't survive in the environment long enough to bloom on their own?

I guess this what you get when you have a world where certain areas are permanently frozen into specific seasons.

Also, here's Mist's favorite gift- the Emery Flower. Wildly expensive solid gold flowers whose seeds cost a lot more than a house extension at the grand price of 26,000G.

seems a bit too convenient if you ask me :tinfoil:

BUSH: This couch looks like it'd be comfy to sleep on.

bush, is this all you ever think about

Meanwhile, Danny has nothing to say about the shop that opened right next to his.

I did buy a Wappen (it's a little patch with a wooly on it) and Neck Towel from Rosetta, even though we could try to make them on our own. We had the money and I figured having them now would let us jump start being able to fight things. We're still low level.

(Also I forgot that the accessory workbench comes with the forge until a bit after this.)

SELPHY: I feel like something is missing since all I can do is read books.

Heading to the other parts of town, we find that Selphy is having an existential crisis.

SELPHY: I just came up with this, but why don't I start writing books? It's like thinking outside the box.

Seems like a logical next step, if you ask me.

SELPHY: You know that giant bean stalk in front of the clock tower?

SELPHY: That's connected to Whale Island isn't it? I wonder if you can reach Whale Island just by climbing it.

SELPHY: It feels just like a storybook so it's exciting!

I would normally consider the idea of climbing a beanstalk miles into the sky to reach a flying, sapient, whale shaped island to be a bit impossible, but we've already done it.

~Runey Research: Part 2~
"Now then, what can one do to increase the number of Runeys? Runeys are a type of Rune, which means, just as with runes, one must enrich the land. Till the land and grow crops."

"Once the crops ripen, Runeys will be born. Catch the Runeys with a tool called a 'Harvester' and free them in a place you want to have them settle down in."

"When you look up at the sky, Runeys gather around you for some reason. Use this habit to your advantage and catch them effectively."

"Move the Runeys this way, and add more of them into an area while keeping a good balance of the 4 types. A Runey rich land is just around the corner!"

---------------------------------------

Nothing this book says is explicitly wrong, but it's also not very helpful. Leaving large amounts of unharvested crops can produce small amounts of Runeys, but doing so is also missing out on profit and locks off a large part of your field.

It also never tells you what this "good balance" is, and that's a recipe for disaster given how ravenous these things are. The value you're looking for when trying to get prosperity is 35/35/35/35, but given the mechanics you actually want 35/35/35/60. Or actually maybe 50/50/50/60.

I'll explain why in just a bit, as I'm going to start working on the Runey situation today.

This system is bonkers.

STELLA: Mist is so strange. I like girls like her.

STELLA: She's honest with herself. Don't you find that adorable?

the nun's in on it

:tinfoil:

quick, retreat to allied headquarters

CINNAMON: Did you find the Turnip Constellation?

BUSH: Yes. It looked really weird.

CINNAMON: There is a legend where that turnip was eaten by a famous hero before he defeated a monster catfish underground.

BUSH: So he ate a turnip to fight a catfish? That sounds weird.

CINNAMON: I guess.

Cinnamon sometimes gives little origin stories on the constellations after we see them. This still raises LP even though Bush spent the whole time calling everything weird.

Back on the farm, I do farm things.

Our upgraded hammer also has a special attack on it, being this giant slam. Unfortunately, our hammer is still too weak to get rid of these larger rocks. We need silver tier to accomplish that.

Earlier I said that I was planning on trying to use just the first half of the field once we hit Summer, but because of these annoying rocks that also means we need to get access to silver, expand our house for a larger forge, and buy the upgraded forge.

We probably won't meet that dream until mid-way through summer at the earliest.

We can break these kinda half sized ones though.

Pale Carp (20cm) Lv:5 was caught perfectly!

The fishing rod also has a special attack, though all it does is raise the quality of fish caught and make the bar move longer. In this case, it went long enough I got lucky and hit the green range.

This catches a fish perfectly, which in my experience with real life fishing, isn't going to happen with a fishing rod given the nature of a hook.

At this point, I've been trying to stretch out what I can do by making and eating turnips. Power slamming that big rock a lot of times earlier did no favors for my RP bar.

In my defense, it's not very apparent sometimes if your tool is effective against that big of a rock.

I'm mostly trying to get these Toyherbs that I bought from Rosetta planted. They have a grow period of 15 days, which pretty much means today and tomorrow are the last days we can plant them in our field this season.

Toyherbs were always slow growing and kinda expensive until RF3. They grow in 2 days in Sharance. Better soil, I guess.

MIST: Should I make omelets with turnip rice or stir fried turnips tonight or for dinner? I can't decide.

MIST: You know...

MIST: Bush, you never keep your earnings overnight, do you?

BUSH: What do you mean?

MIST: I mean that you're a very nice person.

BUSH: Oh, really? Thanks.

MIST: But I still think you should keep some for yourself.

This is Mist's version of the "hey you give a lot of gifts" dialogue.

Also, I usually do keep my earnings overnight, thank you. I spend them the next morning :v:

With the farm taken care of, I head to Mist's house to start on the Runey Situation. There's been a bit of discussion about it, and I've mentioned it a few times, but here I'm going to tackle it in full.

Runeys. These little smiley faced goobers are all over the place.

Until they're not.

And they're probably the one thing about this game people hate the most. The game goes out of its way to vaguely explain a few things, but the fact people hate this mechanic so much should be indicative of those explanations being insufficient.

A lot of the following information is derived from many guides, going with what seems to be the most consistent information on this subject. Get ready for a full-fledged infodump here, spaced by random screenshots from the rest of the day.

So, Runeys work in a food chain. Water eats Rock, Rock eats Tree, Tree eats Grass.

Looking at it, you'll notice it's not a full cycle like a real ecosystem. Grass eats nothing and is merely preyed on, and Water is eaten by nothing. In practice, this means that water will slowly overtake every location.

But wait! The overgrowth of water Runeys means they'll eat all the rock Runeys. Then Tree Runeys grow out of control as nothing is left to keep them in check, which means they'll eat all the Grass. This will continue to gradually spiral out of control until every area but your homestead dies out. The death comes slowly, but the decline can get very fast.

Why do we care?
Well, an area in prosperity has 35 or more of each type of runey. A dead area has no runeys left. The former boosts crop growth speed, and the latter slows crops down. Max dead areas makes a turnip take 16 days to grow rather than 4. Max prosperity areas can grow nearly anything in 5 days and keeps any regrowing crop ready to be harvested pretty much every day.

So instead of saving Trampoli from just a giant whale island on track to Majora's moon the place, we've also got to help save the environment from collapsing in on itself.

If you're thinking this sounds terrible and poorly thought out, well, um, it's possible it simply is that. I've seen off handed comments that suggest that this is only something that exists in non-JP versions of the game- the Japanese version has an actually functioning cycle where Grass eats Water. Thus, you can kinda just not touch it and nothing happens.

(At times I wonder if this was meant to be an ecological allegory of some kind.)

Attempting to research the truth of this statement got me nothing but the information that people are really thirsty for Rosetta and getting the main parts of this game's story spoiled for myself.

:japan: posted:

EDIT: The Brief Misadventures of Bushi-san!

精霊が集ま り、 形を成したもの。
ルー二ーロックを食ベて膏つ。
どのル一二ーにも食ベられない。

Spirits gather and take shape.
Eat Rooney Rock.
No Ruoney can eat it.

So I investigated the truth of it myself, and it seems from what I can gather with my limited machine translated abilities that it is probably the same overseas. If this finding is incorrect, well it doesn't really matter in the scope of the LP.

The game doesn't leave us completely hanging. Some mechanics are present to let us try and resolve this impending doom.

It just doesn't explain them well, or tell you really what's up. That's why I can't guarantee the following information is fully reliable.

7 Day Grace Period
The first seven days of the season ignore the food chain and only grows runeys. Outside of other influences, this will be about +7 to each type. They'll still cannibalize each other rather fast.

The Area Bonus
Each area outside of our homestead has a specific runey it's associated with, growing just a few of those each day. Two areas, Road to the Beach (Mist's House) and South District (Erik and Kross's houses) have a Grass runey bonus, and this will be key in mitigating a lot of the spiral.

It supposedly boosts the development of that type of Runey in that area. By how much, nobody knows. It also supposedly slows the death rate of Runeys in that area.

Day 20 Boost

Every 20 days, 2 areas get a boost of 20 Runeys of a specific type, usually their area boost defines. Some people say you get it in every area, others say it's only in 2 places.

Regardless, Runeys seem to die at a rate of about 2 per day, so it's not enough to permanently stave off an area dying.)

Unharvested Crops
Fully grown, unharvested crops don't have to be watered anymore, but they also have the property of making a few small amount of runeys per day. What information I can find suggests 1 runey per 3x3 of unharvested crops, though it also seems they sometimes just don't care.

Crops inside dungeons do not provide Runeys, but they're still affected by this whole system. Because gently caress you, you're not hiding from the Runey menace, I guess.

Essentially, this means you'll be using most of your homestead to grow fodder you'll never cut because it lasts between seasons (except maybe winter, nobody is clear on this). It's not necessary to do this, but if you want to stabilize the environment in any reasonable amount of time, you'll need to do a bit of this. (Also some information suggests that Runeys don't grow during winter.)

Grass Farms
Not an intended mechanic, but when I said Road to the Beach and South District were important, this is what I meant. By stripping these areas of their Rock and Tree runeys and leaving it only to Water and Grass, you make an area that produces Grass Runeys proportional to the amount of Water Runeys inside, at the cost of Water Runeys. (Optionally, some Rock Runeys can be included to reduce the amount of Water consumed but leads to an overall loss in the total count of Runeys.)

These are the key to fixing the systemic decline, but they're also a pain to manage from the simple fact that Runeys are annoyingly slow and tedious to deal with. On top of this, the conversion is kind of expensive at about 16 Water Runeys a day when starting with 60.

Rainy Days
Rainy days provide a boost to Water Runeys everywhere. If the system was a proper cycle, this'd be fine, but since it's not, it usually propagates the issue.

With grass farms, we can at least take advantage of this because of...

Prosperity Delay
When an area reaches prosperity, the rules change. Other Runey types only grow, while Grass Runeys will only decline at a steady rate of -2 per day. This means as long as we can supply Grass Runeys, the area should be safe from decliine.

Prosperity happens when 35 or more of each Runey is present. Since only Grass declines, you just stock the grass up to the max of 60, and leave the others at 35. However, some people have had their areas fall out of prosperity with just 35s on the non-Grass Runeys, so set your Runey counts a bit higher. At 50/50/50/60, you'll start each day with that area growing to about 60/60/60/58, supposedly.

With the application of Grass Farms, we can supplement that Grass decline.

And lastly:

Homestead Rules
So, the homestead basically ignores all these rules because reasons. Runey population never decreases and will only ever rise, and only rise thanks to the Unharvested Crops rule. For this reason, maintaining prosperity on the Homestead is incredibly easy, and we treat any runeys it generates past 35 with unharvested crops as stockpile we can use to stabilize the other areas.

A lot of those mechanics are never explained by the game. But now that we know them, we can try to build a plan to manage things. Unfortunately, a lot of these plans involve tedious management and real world hour long days just collecting the buggers.

Also spreadsheeting their values and growth, because this mechanic basically necessitates making spreadsheets to keep on top of everything.

So where am I going with all of this?

Despite the native level "hell nah, I ain't doin this" it instills, I'm going to try and do it. Crops are some of your best cash in this game since the majority of anything else you can make sells for like 20g more than it's component parts.

Now, I don't really need money either, because I know how to do an exploit to get infinite cash, almost every RF game has one, but in the spirit of the game, I'm going to try and work with this system and see if I can create as minimal fuss routine as possible that still gets prosperity bonuses, but keeps things from dying. Because I don't know about you, but spending multiple days each month doing absolutely nothing but vaccuuming up little smiley faces doesn't really excite me.

Ideally, this means knowing all this from the start, and jumping on it early. At the time of writing this update, I've already played up to Spring 22nd, and things are... rocky.

The basic loop you have to do to get these places all stabilized is this:
- Prune water and tree populations from every zone. They're prone to growing very high on their own, so keep the numbers down.

- Make a grass farm by stripping all Rock and Trees from the compatible areas (Road to the Beach is best, as it's smaller than South District, which also requires you to enter Kross and Erik's houses to access their fields.)

- Put the homestead in prosperity very fast and fund a decent amount of fodder being grown that you just don't touch.

- Use the 7 day growth bonuses and the 20 day boosts to accelerate stabilizing areas.

- Spreadsheet everything, and keep on top of it all the time.

The problem is, this will never let you take advantage of Rune Wonders, because before you forget about those, you have to fuel those with Runeys and you won't have any to spare.

Also I meant to save these moondrop seeds for something else and not plant them in my field. Whoops. This'll cost me a few days later on.

There's a sort of alternate route you can take to the above strategy:

- Empty everything.

- To avoid the dead area penalty, drop 1 runey from the stockpile in each dead area before going to sleep each day. Then it'll only count as dying, not dead, thus sparing you from the penalty that night. This costs you a total of only 8 Runeys every day to maintain.

- You can place just a couple Runeys of that area's type in that area, as it supposedly slows down how much that type deteriorates.

- When new seasons start, make it 1/1/1/1 in each dying area, and they'll grow to 8/8/8/8 from the seven day grace period. Take this excess and leave them at 1 again. Skip this if you don't need it.

- Rainy days and the 20 day bonus should help maintain this balance.

Both of these things take a heavy time investment, and the Grass Farm is responsible for a lot of that. You have to get Grass Runeys somehow, though. It's either that, or random daily chance from a lot of Fodder plots.

The prosperity oriented strategy is going to be a mix of both:

- Do the initial emptying of every zone, but make the Beach Road into a Grass Farm, and designate one non-Homestead area to be your prosperity location. This will take an agitatingly long amount of time, but this is necessary to reduce a lot of further work.

- Take count of everything you've got. Try to get a 50/50/50/60 in the prospering region, and at least a little in the Grass Farm. Every other zone gets a few runeys of the corresponding type. Grab the daily surplus from both and store it.

- The Water surplus from the prospering region goes to fueling the Grass farm and paying for Rainy Weeks from Candy, if you want to gamble for more Water Runeys.

This should get you an amount of Water, Tree, and Rock Runeys each day as surplus, which will build up to let you make another zone into a prosperous region. Slowly migrate other zones into prosperity, as long as your grass farm can supply them. It's got some time consuming elements, but this is the one I'm going for.

But with that emptying out everything, I realized the math behind the Runeys is a lot more generous than it initially gives the idea.So I came up with this strat as well:

Here's the Managed Stasis strategy:

The trick is the season change grace period and the fact that you only need 1 runey present in an area to prevent death penalties.

- Optional: Empty everything. This will always take a while, but it's the only time you have to do it. Doing this means you don't have to check the status of the Runeys basically ever as long as you take note of what day it is. It also prevents any randomness from reducing your total amount of runeys.

-Place 1 Runey in each of the 8 areas, as this works without even trying to play to Area Bonus. Leave 1 Runey at the Homestead alone. All of this combined will keep you from reaching full extinction penalties in any area per day.

- You need 8 runeys per day to keep this up. Collect the bonus Runeys from day 20 and keep them in the stockpile. Collect extra water Runeys from rainy days, if any..

- On the final day of a month, make at least seven non-Homestead areas have 1/1/1/1. Harvest the excess back down to just one Runey after they hit 8/8/8/8 on the 7th of next season. This'll take a little bit of time, but it's not much. Why? You'll have made 7x4 Runeys out of this spot, assuming we keep at least one of each type to do this again next month.

That's 28 Runeys. You only need 23 per area for the whole month. Congrats, you now have 5 surplus in any element you want, aside from any surplus from rainy days and the day 20 supply.

Now, all the work you have to do after the initial harvest is adding 1 runey per day to each area, add 4 split runeys to each area on Day 30, and collect most of them on 7th of each month. And this is without considering area bonuses, which means you might not have to most days.

No Grass Farms, no fodder farming. Grow everything at normal pace forever. It would take you forever to make a location prosper, Homestead included, so just don't bother. (If you harvest all 8 areas on the 7th, you'll collect a decent bit of excess, but it's not much for a monthly thing.)

The ways Runeys grow by eating each other are not always 1 to 1 ratios, thus why the environment can collapse by itself. The natural sources of replenishment will never overcome the eventual costs of them cannibalizing like they do, so the easiest solution is to stop them from ever doing that.

This all having been planned, I'm still going to opt to try and get multiple areas to prosperity out of principle. I want to show it can be done, and I want to see if any of this decade old information is incorrect.

Also it's the next day.

(Part 2 follows: because I hit the character limit, amazingly, thanks runeys)

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 19, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 11.5: The Runey Situation Part 2

Missed Anette at our mailbox again today, because internal autopilot memory of "6-9 AM is do all your farmwork time" makes me forget she comes by sometimes.

ANETTE: You're kidding, right? What is this thing doing inside the mailbox?

ANETTE: Just because it happens often, don't think it's normal... Isn't that right, Anette?

Anette has seen things in Mist's mailbox, and now she's talking to herself.

It does make the "failed crafting an item" noise here on the second line, and it's perfect.

"Nice weather, isn't it?" - Mist

What lovely weather we're having today.
Taking a nap outside is the best on days like this.
Do you like taking naps outdoors?

Um, well...

At this point, I think the answer is clear.

I enjoy napping outdoors, too.

Yep, that's about right.

"Grand Opening!" - Rosetta

Grocery Store Materia
Grand Opening!
"High quality for low price"
is our motto!
Come by the Business District
to see for yourself!

Also Rosetta sent
this really strangely
formatted
letter to us.

"It's pleasant" - Uzuki

Turner has remodeled my room specificall to suit my tastes.
It was difficult adjusting to the life in a foreign land,
but the familiarity of this room calms me.
You should come by.
You are welcome anytime.

So many letters today! Uzuki is being a lot more friendly than the other gals, in a way.

This is in the past tense, so I guess she's already adjusted to Trampoli life. I'd say that was pretty fast, but honestly it's just that chill here. Not many people really even do anything most of the time.

Off to follow Anette even more.

ANETTE: The early bird gets the worm, you know. But I never actually got any worms. Haha.

You can interpret this a number of different ways.

You can also sometimes get in front of Anette and she'll push you with her superspeed. This was supposed to be a gif, but due to behind the scenes matters, I couldn't upload that.

:smith:

ANETTE: This is from your father, Rosetta. After all is said and done, you're still keeping in touch. That's really nice.

Despite running away from home, she's still sending letters back to Jean. It is nice to see, even if it is probably more business strategies than actual conversation.

UZUKI: The blacksmith, Ganesha, is very skilled. I can entrust her with my naginata.

Uzuki recognizes an awesome blacksmith when she sees one.

ANETTE: I just love to have some "Steamed Tater" after a hard day's work!

Isn't that about the same as a baked potato?

Realized I didn't have a sashimi made this morning and had to go fishing for a proper fish. Got lucky and got it on the first throw.

ROSETTA: Uzuki's clothes are really interesting. I think they look cute so I want to try wearing something like it one day.

If I'm not mistaken, it's mostly kind of like a shrine maiden sort of look.

I find it a neat detail she leans on the counter occasionally. Given the majority of the series uses a more distant perspective and chibi-ish models, the games don't always get too much of these kinds of tiny details.

When they did get them, they usually ended up just being a unique idle pose.

DANNY: I haven't gotten any customers since that other store opened up next door.

DANNY: They just like new stuff. I know they'll be back.

I know Danny has more stuff in his store judging by the details in the shop and we just mechanically can't buy any of it, but I can't help but imagine that Turnip Seeds, Cooking Oil, and cheap jewelry is all he sells.

Gotta get them fried turnip bits.

SELPHY: It's such a great life to be surrounded by books!

If there was an equivalent of the Library of Congress in Norad, then I don't think Selphy would ever leave it. She'd probably discovering some way to subsist entirely off of the aquisition of knowledge.

SELPHY: I stocked up on some new books! Read up!

I mean, she's already psychic enough to tell when you're looking at a shelf. Seriously, she's all the way in her room and I'm far from being within sight or hearing distance.

Well maybe just sight, Bush just jogs everywhere in his heavy boots. It makes a lot of noise.

~Runey Research: Part 3~

"So, with more Runeys, what will happen?"

"First, Runeys positively affect farms. Crops grow better and thus more Runeys are born."

"Next, people with a little talent may even learn to use powers called 'Rune Wonders'."

"Rune Wonders, as the name suggests, are wondrous powers that utilize Runes (i.e. Runeys)."
-------------------------------------------

Like usual, it only vaguely suggests how you can go about saving the environment. Nothing about the 7 days rule, Homestead rules, or the day 20 injections.

STELLA: You have to keep your promises.

STELLA: Though it may be insignificant to you, it may be very important to the others.

Stella imparts some wisdom to us before we go the wise old man.

BUSH: Is this some sort of blueprint?

KANNO: I had the machine sent to research Runes, but there still are a lot of problems. Where to start, where to start...

BUSH: Sounds like a lot of work.

Either the machine isn't even made yet, or these are resulting blueprints from said Rune research machine.

I did set up Road to the Beach for a Runey farm, though without large numbers, it's not going to do much right now. I'll get on stocking it a bit better soon.

KROSS: This tastes good.

I haven't forgotten about Kross- I'm still slipping him some of our turnip supply. He likes just about everything you can grow, though his favorite gift is a level 70+ accessory with 6 rare-ish items needed to make it.

Most people's favorite gifts are like this and it's a bit ridiculous. Like, Kross isn't even a marriage candidate or anything, just a cool guy. Why make everyone's favorite gift so hard to get?

KROSS: This sunlight is so strong. It's so oblivious to the pain it causes us.

:sun:

KROSS: You're gonna need 900 Lumber and 75000 gold. Are you all right with that?

Already can't remember if I showed this, but this is the second floor expansion cost. We can't get a double bed, and thus, get married, without it.

Still not as bad as RF2 or RF1, as we can access crafting before getting it!

KROSS: The Barn can get as tall as 3 floors, with 1, 3, and 7 rooms as you move up.

KROSS: You're gonna need 10 lumber and 1000 gold. Are you all right with that?

What we can afford is a barn!

KROSS: I'll start right away. So would you wait a little bit?

Fade in and out of black...

KROSS: Sorry to have kept you waiting. Your barn's to the east of your house.

This takes zero in-world time, so Kross just kinda farmer magicked it into existence.

After this I go fishing with Cinnamon on the Lake Poli bridge.

BUSH: Is fishing fun?

CINNAMON: ...Quite. I caught a big fish the other day. But I let it go.

BUSH: Huh?! Why? That's such a waste.

CINNAMON: Catch an release are the fundamentals of fishing. I won't eat it so it makes no sense to keep it.

Bush has never heard of catch and release, which given his only current use for fish is to slice it into tiny pieces or gifting to others, I guess that makes sense.

But if she doesn't eat the fish, what does she do with the fish we give her? :shrug:

CINNAMON: Squid is good during spring. You can use it for all sorts of dishes, so be creative.

This has been Seasonal Fishing Tips With Cinnamon.

I've never had squid, actually. I kinda just don't like any fish.

CINNAMON: I like this place better than where I came from because it's quiet.

BUSH: What was that place like?

CINNAMON: A very large city. I was researching magic there.

She is a wizard, it just doesn't come up very often.

MIST: When you give things that the villagers like, they will be thrilled. That is the quickest way to make friends with them.

As we warp home, Mist explains to Bush that this world is materialistic, and that money gets you everywhere.

MIST: By the way, I like Turnips and Emery Flowers.

MIST: Does it seem like I'm hinting too strongly for you to give me some?

She's trying the direct approach now.

That, or she's giving us a warning about our current turnip deliveries :tinfoil:

You win this time, but Bush will see liberation from your operation soon enough!

Anyways, gotta get started on collecting more lumber. The axe's special attack does more damage to stumps, meaning it takes less hits and less time to break them. We also couldn't even touch them before we upgraded, so there's that too.

No gif this time as it's pretty much the same, just without the jump.

Oh, and here's our barn. It looks small, but like most buildings in this game, is way bigger on the inside. The barn really defies that rule.

Farm Work Schedule

7AM: Gather edible plants
11AM: Harvest crops
3PM: Water plants
7PM: Gather lumber
10PM: Clear out rocks
1AM: Mow grass

You can also train your monsters to do your farmwork for you. I've never gotten this to work effectively on any RF game, so maybe this LP will change that.

I've always heard that you should water plants in the early morning or late afternoon, not when the sun's still on them. Something about the sun dehydrating the soil shocking them or something like that.

CANDY: I want to visit you at your house!

Down by the shore, Candy just kinda likes seeing other people's houses. When she's over at Marco's you can see a little more of it.

Picked these Water Runeys up across town, but mostly from the beach itself.

There, now it's stocked. This'll let me build up a stockpile of grass for the future prospering regions.

53 Water and 15 Grass. That ought to be good enough. Now time to just kinda get lazy about collecting the Grass runeys.

MELODY: This village is so nice. This is the only place in the world where you can find a hot spring in the sky!

still don't understand how it works, still not questioning it

NOLAN: In my country, the flowers bloom beautifully during this season.

NOLAN: I hope you can come view it when you get the chance, Bush.

Knowing how Bush is, that would take Mist running off to there.

Where he is running off to now, is Whale Island!

That'll have to wait until next time, thanks to the Runey Situation, but rest assured we get to some more new content up here.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 11, 2023

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
If this...bizarre Runey system really was an international release thing, is it possible that it came about due to a programming error? Because wow, I can understand the hate for the system. Runeys in other RF games I've played have mostly just...been there. This though...this is just awful!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

If this...bizarre Runey system really was an international release thing, is it possible that it came about due to a programming error? Because wow, I can understand the hate for the system. Runeys in other RF games I've played have mostly just...been there. This though...this is just awful!

The descriptions and all the books are consistent with with this broken food chain design, so it would have to have been a programming error they decided to keep for some reason. I'm going to turbo through a file on a Japanese copy of the game and check the descriptions of the Runeys to see if it's true or not, because I just have to know.

The Runes generated by plants in the other game are fine as they're completely beneficial things just there to give you nice RP refills. I don't even get those while working on the Homestead anymore in this game!

It's worth noting that the majority of these old strategies involve getting used to spending 80% to 90% of an in-game day dealing with Runeys multiple times per month, and still spending half your time each normal day managing them. You're supposed to be okay with the idea of losing real life hours doing nothing but managing them, apparently.

The harvester has a very small radius at which it draws in Runeys, and provided the right ones happen to be in the right place, you can collect maybe 3 or 4 with one use- usually you're just gonna get 1 and it's possibly not even the one you wanted. This animation is also 6 seconds long and the Runeys themselves will hide high above the camera, as well as fading in and out every few seconds- having to hunt them down individually is an immense pain and in-game time sink. And the thing is, the laziest strategy I could come up with, leaving everywhere on the verge of extinction every night, still requires you to vacuum every single Runey ahead of time.

And all of this strategizing is based off of somewhat spotty, slightly conflicting, decade old information found on GameFAQs. :shepard:

(The alternate thing to do is to ignore them and grow everything you think you could possibly want before the ecosystem slowly drains itself out. Then just ignore ever being able to reasonably grow plants again, but good luck making any money since they greatly nerfed the value of literally everything that's not a crop!)

Also in other terms, clearcardinal on the Beach spotted that I had the music links for the Spring seasonal track wrong this entire time! Every link to it in every update should be fixed now, but here it is if you wanted to listen to it.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 10, 2021

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I know there are still more Bachelorettes to come, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to vote for Mist. Cinnamon, Rosetta, and Sylphie are great, but I want to see you suffer what the Mist romance looks like.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

AltaBrown posted:

I want to see you suffer what the Mist romance looks like.

Turnips. Nothing but turnips.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

AltaBrown posted:

I know there are still more Bachelorettes to come, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to vote for Mist. Cinnamon, Rosetta, and Sylphie are great, but I want to see you suffer what the Mist romance looks like.

The first bachelorette voting wave isn't too far off. The idea is that it'll be a sort of elimination round, and I'll stop bothering to raise LP with the ones that lose the vote, leaving me with only about 3-5 to focus on. After the game progresses a bit more and we see some of their events, then the final vote will happen.

We're waiting on 3 more of them to show, and one of them will at least show herself by the next update; however, we won't properly meet her until, like, Update 16 or something. The other 2 gals we're waiting on join the fray simultaneously as Summer begins, and I've considered exempting them from the first voting round to be fair to their smaller amount of screentime. I'll see what we think about that when we get there.

You may notice that this only adds up to 11, and that's because one of the bachelorettes is a post-main story one. There's a chance she might become relevant in time to be voted for, but it'll take a very specific set of conditions in the voting rounds.

NullBlack posted:

Turnips. Nothing but turnips.

At least turnips are easy to get. Technically we've lost more money gifting Mist than anyone else in town, but still.

I'll still never grow an Emery Flower, even if she gets picked.

:japan: posted:

EDIT: The Brief Misadventures of Bushi-san!

精霊が集ま り、 形を成したもの。
ルー二ーロックを食ベて膏つ。
どのル一二ーにも食ベられない。

A collection of spirits that form a shape.
Eat Rouxie Rock and apply it.
I can't eat any of them.

Nope, it's looking like it was definitely an intended design decision! I can't tell if this is worse than if that off-hand 10 year old comment had been right!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 24, 2021

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
I played the hell out of this game and never figured out the Runeys. I think I just ignored them and spent most of my time in the dungeons. Good on you for trying to make it work!

I did play enough to still hear the various sound bytes, especially “hey young man!” From Erik. This is making me want to figure out the emulator and play it again :)

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

I played the hell out of this game and never figured out the Runeys. I think I just ignored them and spent most of my time in the dungeons. Good on you for trying to make it work!

I did play enough to still hear the various sound bytes, especially “hey young man!” From Erik. This is making me want to figure out the emulator and play it again :)

The sound bites from these games really do stick with you sometimes. I was surprised at how many of them I remembered, myself.

I can always post my settings for Dolphin, if wanted. It ran pretty cleanly for me from the get-go, but I had to make some graphical enhancements to try and clean up the font and such for screenshots.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 12: Nowhere Near Fin-ished

Music: Whale Island Entrance

Repeating the theme of the last two updates, we begin again as we head into a dungeon!

Heading to check the southern farm field by the entrance, I see a few colored grasses have grown.

Purple grass doesn't belong to the Spring season, a benefit of Whale Island having all seasons. It's not very useful right now anyways, but it'll eventually get used.

Maybe. I honestly forget which medicine recipes use it.

As I progress through the cave I'll be clearing out some monsters to grab a level or two, but fighting's not really my main focus here, progress is.

Making progress here should be easier than Green Ruins, and now that I've got moondrop seeds available, there's something up here I need to do with them as quickly as possible.

North of the entrance is another small farm field, but it's not near any water source so it's hardly worth the time it takes to get to it.

A few more spawners banished, and I come across some mineral rocks.

The charge attack does way more damage than is necessary to these things and only serves to potentially increase the level of the resulting metals.

I only get one iron from this, but it's not a complete waste of time. Scrap iron isn't as useless as it immediately seems, it's just that using it right now is beyond our ability. A majority of the weapons and some tools in the game have a recipe to mix it with scrap iron, resulting in the same item, but giving you a chance to boost the resulting item's level.

Higher level means more damage and less RP used per swing, so it's a good deal, it just requires a larger forge than we have now.

Another field, spawner, and some more rocks later, I finally make it back to where we met Melody. It's only taken me over a week to come back here.

To the southwest from here is where we go to continue our adventure.

These giant puddles of purple goop are poisonous. So we don't step in them.

They've appeared in previous games, but like in RF1, bothering to clean them up is pointless most of the time as they'll respawn later.

Neutralizer, the agent used to do this isn't that expensive, but we need it for other stuff.

Found here swinging it's mace wildly is the pig-like Orc. In this game all they do is face you and then slowly move forward while flailing their weapon about until they get dizzy.

They're hardly a threat, and the only thing worth noting is that, like other humanoid monsters, taming them feels a bit weird.

This one dropped a Mark of Warrior. They largely drop the same things as Goblins.

Not too far to the west of them is a spawner with Orc Archers. They're orcs, but with a bow.

On some level, they're more advanced than the people of this world as they figured out the art of archery. Noradians just don't have ranged weapons.

In-world, in what I guess is about 25 years later in Rune Factory 4, the Elven Harp ends up being a thing, even if calling it a ranged weapon is a bit strong.

As we run southwards past more orcs, we hit a cutscene.

In which a tiny, purple, grass-covered elephant approaches us. It also sounds kinda like a cat or something.

BUSH: Is this monster... lost?

BUSH: It doesn't seem to be hostile...

It then walks a circle around us before wandering off. :shrug:

BUSH: There it goes. I wonder what was with that monster.

After this, we regain control, but the nearby spawner puts out a small army of orcs, so I just move on past the waterfall.

There's a very large field down there, yet as it takes so long to reach, it's hardly worth it.

Also there's this strange pedestal that Bush instinctively knows Rune Stones can be fit into. It opens up that nearby door, which I think just has a chest behind it with some slightly better than average loot.

The 10 runeys it costs to open it probably isn't worth it, but I'll investigate it sometime when I remember to.

As we head south... there's light and grass?

Music: Whale Island Outside

(Been a while, but it's finally a new track! I really quite like this one, it's got the right level of unusual to it for the kind of place we've found ourself in. It's ethereal, but with a bit of action to it.)

Surrounded by walls absolutely covered in vines, broken marble pillars and overgrown tile, it's already apparent there's more to Whale Island than it's relatively boring cave would suggest.

Welcome to the Whale Island Fin!

There's even some summer grass up here at this small field. Blue grass has it's uses, although I also forgot which recipes it's used in.

At least there's still a good amount of grasses that Melody likes. Once Spring is over, finding those won't be as easy.

Just south from the field is a Wooly spawner! These bipedal, floppy eared sheep were first seen in Anette's introduction, but now we've finally met them in the wild. They have only one attack in this game, and that is to fall onto their back attempting a dropkick. It hurts when it connects, but it's range is so short it's easily avoided.

They're useful for the fact they're the only monster to give you wool. At least one of these is a must, though we may end up wanting more.

They also kinda sound weird, but that's just me.

Down the stairs some more, we encounter a Buffamoo, or Peekamoo as they've been called in some games. They're kinda like buffalo, but spotted like Jersey cows. Maybe kinda like an auroch?

They predictably attack with a charge like a bull. Also predictably, they're the only source of milk.

There's a lot of them up here, in fact. This spawner puts out 3 well placed to charge you down.

As it's getting late, I ignore them and follow the stairs down even more and hit another cutscene.

We get a nice view of this intact tower and the rest of the zone. It also lets you see how this really is one of the fins of the whale.

*Watering can noises*

And only now does Bush notice this girl in bright white clothing watering some yellow flowers.

BUSH: ...Um.

However, she walks off before Bush can introduce himself or do something that would make him need to apologize.

Into the tower she vanishes.

There does seem to be a lot of light here for almost 9:00 at night, seems like the moonlight is really strong here.

This little untouched 3x3 farm plot is important, and the reason why I needed those moondrop seeds. Unfortunately, I'll have to go buy some now as I planted them in my field last update.

We're also a good distance above the clouds- it's hard to really see from the island's entrance, but you can see it on the fin very well.

There's always a chest on this little bit of the fin, so I grab its contents and get ready to warp back.

But before I do, let's check out the last path available to us. Up here are spawners for Silver Wolves. The first monster we can ride, and the first monster that is insanely out of our depth.

Their only attack is a lunging bite, but it comes out pretty fast and these doggies move real fast as well. The only saving grace here is that they get stuck on terrain easy, and they have to reposition before they can lunge again.

Our sword hits for 1 damage. 1 damage.

:stonk:

And they hit for 99 in return. If I wasn't wearing that stuff from Rosetta's shop, this would have been an instant KO.

The Woolies and Buffamoos aren't that bad, they're fightable at this level. The wolves absolutely are not.

I've got a solution to this, however; Bush won't be stonewalled by these wolves for too long.

Music: Snowstyle Tavern

Stella offers sermons everywhere.

STELLA: Uzuki made me a handmade charm the other day.

STELLA: It seems weird to have a god of another country protect me, but I think it feels quite nice too.

Kanno's also here, also still asking for cheap cloth.

Luckily, I picked one up off the orcs inside Whale Island Cave.

KANNO: What is this?

BUSH: What is it? You're the one that told me to get it...

KANNO: *cough cough* My chronic illness...

It's still unspecified whether or not Kanno's actually got something or he's just messing with us. It seems a lot like the latter, but you never know.

KANNO: Setting that aside, it seems that you have brought me the "Cheap Cloth."

KANNO: I shall give you this as a reward.

You got Fire Rod!

BUSH: What is this?

KANNO: It's a magical staff. With this, even those who have no talent in the ways of magic can cast spells.

KANNO: Of course, you will never compare to real wizards like myself and Cinnamon.

BUSH: Thank you very much.

KANNO: No need to thank me. It is my utmost pleasure to watch my student grow and mature. Hohoho.

This game tries to partially retcon magic from what I can tell, given that every other region in Norad just has magic books. Even Bush is able to learn spells from them in the first game, but given how bad they were, maybe he really does just lack talent.

Regardless of talent or not, magic is rather overpowered in this game. The Fire Rod in particular is just kinda busted, but in my experience the other magic rods will not disappoint us either.

TURNER: How about a drink? A drink after a hard day's work is great!

RITA: What are you talking about? You drink even when you don't work.

Turner's thing is that he likes drinking, if you haven't noticed.

That said, I wonder why we never see Nolan in here.

GANESHA: Oh, stop it.

Hahaha... That's great!

These two are really smashed tonight. Turner's voice line says "Isn't that a hoot" instead, and I wish they would've went with that one.

Since I'm here, I go ahead and buy 4 more boxes of rice. These must be tiny boxes, or the rice balls Bush makes are huge.

And since it's so late already, I head up to the observatory and set the emulation speed to 200% for a while.

By about 1:20 AM...

You found the Crown Constellation!

BUSH: It's a crown so there are lots of big stars included in it.

...And that's it. No crazy turnip meteor shows up or anything like last time- this constellation is just a normal one. It does correspond to Selphy though.

After warping back home, Bush prepares some more food for tomorrow and hits the hay.

Well, the bed. I still don't have any hay growing presently.

Music: Trampoli

Next morning opens with trying to clean my inventory up some. Your inventory is decently spacious, but without a fridge right now, I'm left to carry a lot of unnecessary stuff on me.

I forge a Spear at the forge using one of the Thin Sticks we've found alongside some iron.

In my opinion, Spears really aren't that good in this game as you can't use it's charge attack to clip through enemies like RF1, and there's no Rune Abilities like RF2. They're kinda slow as well, and the range isn't nearly as helpful as you'd think.

Day 16 is another day without Anette, as she doesn't seem to show up on days where you wake up at an unusual time.

All the Anette fans have my apologies. Also, I forgot to mention that since we were awake up to 1 AM for the constellation, we woke up 2 hours later than usual, starting this day at 8:00 AM.

I get all the farming done in about 2 hours as well, so I head off to collect incidental dialogue like usual.

Mist today only requests us to grow more turnips, which we're already doing.

Next on our daily trips is Cinnamon.

CINNAMON: Did you find the Crown Constellation.

BUSH: Yes, it was beautiful.

CINNAMON: There is a legend about a king who set his crown in the heavens to honor his late queen.

BUSH: Oh... That sounds like a beautiful story.

CINNAMON: ...Yes.

CINNAMON: You can see the "Serpent Constellation" right now.

BUSH: A serpent? That constellation sounds interesting.

CINNAMON: ...Not exactly. In some regions serpents are said to control the weather.

BUSH: Oh really? That's the first time I've heard of that.

CINNAMON: You can see the "Serpent Constellation" a bit late at night... Try to stay awake.

Lots of constellation talk today. She might not think the Serpent constellation is interesting, but I'd say it is. You'll see what I mean when we do trigger it.

I check the Runeys while we're here, and it seems that Grass Farm I made last time is doing alright. I'll be honest and admit I won't be incredibly vigilant about properly pulling out Grass and restocking with Water, but I'm not going to entirely waste it.

STELLA: This church is getting really old. I suppose we should start restoring it soon.

I can't see anything wrong with it myself, but honestly, just put Kross on the job. Knowing him, it'll take about 4 seconds.

LARA: Money is necessary to live, but obtaining more than necessary will only cloud your heart. Please don't be too attached to money, Bush.

Lara's advice on my constant gifting is this, which boils down to "keep doing it" I guess. And believe me, I'm not attached to my money in this game, I've always got something to spend it on.

Although we just went through a big moneymaking section with getting the crafting stations, there's always going to be something else we need to work towards. Right now, it's the house expansion for the Forge. The base level stations only allow us to work with 2 materials at a time, and that's going to be incredibly limiting as soon as we beat the Green Ruins.

In the library, we find that Selphy is trying to usurp Cinnamon's niche even more.

SELPHY: I got a new book! It's called the "Book of Constellations." It's about myths and legends associated with the stars.

SELPHY: I love myths so this is a must-read. I'll keep it on the shelf so read it whenever you want.

SELPHY: Summer is said to be the season for encounters. I wonder what kind of book I'll find this year.

Um, Selphy, I hate to break it to you, but we're only halfway through Spring.

SELPHY: I have a ton of books I want and not enough bookshelves. I also need book covers...

SELPHY: I just don't have enough money!

SELPHY: That's why I need to sell some books. Please buy some!

Part of Selphy's thing is that she's constantly broke despite her snazzy attire.

The pursuit of KNOWLEDGE is a taxing one indeed.

BUSH: What do you like, Selphy?

SELPHY: Books! Don't ask me such a silly question.

BUSH: I meant what kind of food do you like.

SELPHY: Oh, then you should have mentioned that beforehand.

You do have to specify these things, Bush. :colbert:

SELPHY: I like... Hm, there's nothing in particular. There are times that I even forget to eat.

SELPHY: Oh! I like sandwiches and rice balls. Things that I can eat with only one hand.

No, it's not because she likes the taste, it's just because she can eat and read at the same time. :hmmyes:

I opt to do her a favor and buy the books on medicine and accessories, completing our baseline collection for crafting.

~Happy Farm: Part 2~

"As you probably know, different crops grow during different seasons. However, do you know what happens to crops grown in the wrong season?"

"Simple. They wither. No matter how young the crop is, it will wither once the season changes, so be careful when you sow seeds. Also, you can't farm during winter."

"Always remember to love your farm and thank the earth and Runes. As long as you do, your crops will respond to your heart! May your farm prosper!"
-------------------------------------------

And now it's time to use our almighty tiller-

Right, too much Bob Ross. Regardless, that was our book of the day.

ROSETTA: Oh, yeah! You know those Moondrop Flowers? I heard that they become very beautiful when they're grown in a place with a lot of moonlight.

ROSETTA: Why don't your try growing some if you find a place like that? Of course, the seeds are available at theis very store.

*She does a little excited motion. I don't really know what else to call it.*

BUSH: Ahaha. Rosetta, you're quite the sales person, as always.

ROSETTA: But I wonder where that place is... Does it mean that it's a very high place since it's closer to the mooon?

So, here's your hint on what to do with that farm plot outside the tower on Whale Island's Fin. They take some time to grow, so it'll be a bit before we actually get to see what it does. That last line is something I spliced in from her other dialogue on the matter that acts as an extra hint. Felt like the better way of handling it.

It'll be even longer as another Holiday is coming up soon, so we'll miss out on a day of watering it.

ROSETTA: Decorating the store with a vase is probably overdoing it. We're a general store after all.

Unfortunately, my buying of those crafting books means I'm running a bit short for even the moondrop seeds.

I'll see if I can do anything about it later today, but I think this means I've got to wait until tomorrow to get them.

UZUKI: Do not come close or you may get hurt, Bush!

Outside, Uzuki is still practicing, as always.

BUSH: The weapon you have has a very strange shape, Uzuki.

UZUKI: Yes. This is called a 'Naginata' and is a weapon from my country that even women can use deftly.

UZUKI: I used to be sickly when I was young, but after training with the naginata, I became better little by little.

Well, there's a bit of early backstory for you.

RITA: This is a really scenic place. I was born in the city, but I like places like this because you can take it easy.

You say this, Rita, but I've never seen you outside of a building.

KROSS: This is a peaceful day, very fitting for Spring. I want to just forget everything and sleep just for today...

KROSS: When I see the flowers scatter, it reminds me of my old friends... I thought we would always be together. But now they're all gone...

BUSH: Did everyone move to the big city when they grew up?

KROSS: Heh... Something like that. Everyone became free.

I think we've already seen the latter part there, but I included it anyways.

After that, I stop by Erik's and grab a bunch of fodder seeds. They'll be good to have, and I'll have more money come in through shipping out some more food tonight.

At this point, I went around pruning the Water Runey population a bit. Admittedly, the next few updates were done before I'd fully researched everything about how Runeys work, and was running with an out of date guide on the subject.

Back home, we get an eye-opening letter that I can't say wasn't entirely unexpected:

-------------------------------
~My shop is in serious trouble! - Danny~
"Man, I'm in a pickle.
At this rate, my shop's gonna have to close down.
You don't want that do you?
Help me, please??"

--------------------------------

Unfortunately, there are no options for telling him to get some new stock. Just telling him to reduce his prices or that we can't help. I opt for the former as it's at least trying to be helpful.

Regardless, the vicious maw of Capitalism, brought about by Rosetta is doing him in, it seems.

On less economic topics, Mist got back to us regarding sleeping on the dirt.

-------------------------------
~I'm glad. - Mist~
"Bush, you must like napping, too.
Who doesn't? I mean it's so nice, isn't it?
The thing is, when Ms. Lara sees you doing that, she'll get mad.
'You'll' catch a cold!' I think is what she said."

--------------------------------

Bush can confirm all of these statements.

I do a bit more work on the farm, manage the Grass Farm a bit, until it hits bathhouse time.

BUSH: Melody, you run a bathhouse, but why do you dress like a wizard?

MELODY: Oh, this? Well, I actually wanted to become a wizard. I really like this outfit. I have a lot of them with the same design.

Well, that answers a few questions.

At this point, Melody's also starting humming like Mist was. Looking at our relationship list, it seems like this triggers at 1 LP.

Although it doesn't really matter, our present relations for the bachelorettes is as follows, in order from highest to lowest:

MIST: Almost 2 FP, 2 LP

SELPHY: 1 FP, 1.5 LP

MELODY: Almost 2 FP, 1 LP

ROSETTA: 1.5 FP, Almost 1 LP

CINNAMON: 1 FP, Almost 1 LP

ANETTE: 0.75 FP, 0.6 LP

LARA: 1 FP, 0.5 LP

UZUKI: Almost 1 FP, 0.35 LP

EUNICE: Almost 1 FP, 0.2 LP

We've known Uzuki for 2 days, and she's already doing better than Eunice.

Nothing new is up with Nolan, so it's back to the farm to cut lumber.

I start working on planting some of that fodder, and then as it gets late, I head in for some crafting.

The accessory crafting table happens to be just to the south of the forge, it just kinda blends in with the environment.

I go ahead and make some Iron Bracelets, which are just pretty much metal plating on the outside of our gloves.

It's a neat detail that all of Bush's equipment does show up on his model, but it does get kind of ridiculous sometimes.

The pharmacy on the other hand isn't hard to find, it's the materials that are hard to find. After how good the skill was in RF2, I think they went out of their way to nerf it pretty hard in this game.

A basic recovery potion only restores 35 of our health, and requires us to make both an Antidote Herb and a Para-gone. This in total requires 1 Yellow Grass, 1 Orange Grass, 1 Blue Grass, 1 Purple Grass, and a Medicinal Herb. To get a better potion, you need 30 skill and two of the basic potions for a heal of 105 HP.

The previous two games made getting those as easy as a few medicinal herbs that you could even buy from the clinic. This game's clinic barely offers any useful grass types, so for out of season grass, you'll have to scavenge dungeons.

They did buff food by quite a lot though, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Since it's late enough, I stop by the bar and stock up on more rice so I can forget about it for a while...

Catch some more sashimi fish...

Found Serpent Constellation!

And wait out the Serpent Constellation. It shows up at 9:00 PM.

BUSH: I see... It does look like a serpent.

And that's it! The constellation doesn't do something immediately, but we'll get it's effect tomorrow.

Tomorrow will have to wait until next update!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 19, 2023

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
This LP is making me want to play an old (i.e. not RF 4) Rune Factory, so I dug out my PS3 and dumped my copy of Tides of Destiny! Frontier can stay in the box of shame where it belongs. I'll vicariously enjoy it through you without having to deal with runeys myself.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

An incredible story about Lysenkoism, common ownership of land, price controls, and the collapse inevitably caused by mass agriculture. :ussr:

I played harvest moon mineral town and got stonewalled by transferring my social anxiety into never interacting with half the mechanics.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Maguoob posted:

This LP is making me want to play an old (i.e. not RF 4) Rune Factory, so I dug out my PS3 and dumped my copy of Tides of Destiny! Frontier can stay in the box of shame where it belongs. I'll vicariously enjoy it through you without having to deal with runeys myself.

This act is fully approved.

If this game didn't have the Runeys, it'd be such a fantastic chill game, but with them, it feels too much like work sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun with it, but I can't deny I'd be having more fun if they weren't there.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

An incredible story about Lysenkoism, common ownership of land, price controls, and the collapse inevitably caused by mass agriculture. :ussr:

I played harvest moon mineral town and got stonewalled by transferring my social anxiety into never interacting with half the mechanics.

If only Bush understood what what he has walked into.

Unfortunately yeah, a lot of the mechanics in these two farming sim series is about talking to other people, and not as much about farming. For me, when I was a socially anxious, depressed teenager, these games ended up being fantastic for me, but I get where that comes from.

Sneak Peek Spoiler for the next update: we make hot dogs at sunset

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 13: Hot Dogs

Ah, another restful night of sleeping fully clothed and not using the covers at all!

Music: Rune Factory 1 - Park

It's also raining again, so it's time for another alternate track! This is the track I meant to use last time. This link directly pulls from Zophar's Domain, an old hub for emulation stuff. I hope they don't mind.

Music: Rune Factory 3 - Spring

Here's also another track that I figured I'd fit in sometime. This one's incredibly nostalgic for me- pretty much everything about RF3's soundtrack hits me with that feeling.

Neutralizer Lv:1 was synthesized.

Antidote Herb Lv: 1 was synthesized.

Before I leave, I do a little bit of pharmacy work. Antidote Herbs used to just be called Antidotes before, but as the name implies, they cure poison.

I reasoned it would be useful to have one around just in case.

With the Homestead taken care of for me by the rain, it's time for Bush to get some lumber work done this morning.

A bit of mining later and I'm making good progress on this side of the farm. I'd rather it be the other side, but those large boulders are going to be barricading us for a while.

A Silver Hammer is definitely the next thing on the list to be made.

ANETTE: Morning! Let's make this a great day!

ANETTE: Hey, there's a letter with your name on it, Bush.

"Maybe you're right." - Danny.

I guess I'll see you around.

Given the brevity, I almost would have guessed this was a letter from Cinnamon.

ANETTE: This is such a nice place. It's quiet and peaceful. Maybe I should move here. Haha, just kidding.

If you're wondering why I transcribe all of this dialogue personally instead of say, using a screen to text program, it's because the slight transparency on dialogue boxes makes everything get cursed, and I've not got any easy way of fixing that.

ANETTE: This i$ such a nice pーace.
ーt′$ quiet and peacefuー.
Maybe ー Sh0uーd m0VB he「e・
Haha, jUSt kiddーng.

:stare:

And she leaves me in the dust, causing me to drop the strawberry on the ground. :smith:

At least this is the first game in the series where things don't vanish from existence when they touch the ground. According to RF1 and RF2, that turnip that you pulled out of the dirt touching the ground again makes it too dirty to ever be usable in anything and promptly smites it from existence for you.

After catching up to her at Mist's mailbox and giving her that strawberry, I get back to planting more fodder on the farm.

My intent with this stuff is to keep cutting it, rather than using it to produce Runeys. I want a lot of fodder for all the monsters we'll end up getting.

When it comes to the letters, it's most repeats today. Melody's got a letter from Camus, Danny a letter from his little sister, Anette's already forgotten about Chairperson Rosetta, etc.

ANETTE: Ganesha, you've got mail! Is it from your teacher?

I don't remember if we've seen this one though.

And Anette's food choice of the day is Pumpkin Tart.

I don't know if giving her the food of the day gives any more LP than it would otherwise, but I kinda doubt it.

At 9:00 AM, I run into Materia and buy another Moondrop seed. I'll remember to not plant this one on my farm.

ROSETTA: You came at the right time, Bush.

BUSH: Is there something you want?

ROSETTA: It's about this. I got it from a regular client because it's supposed to be rare, but it just looks so darn suspicious.

BUSH: What is that?

ROSETTA: It's snake soup. It's supposed to be good for your health but...still...

ROSETTA: This is where you come in.

BUSH: What? Wait... Don't tell me you...

ROSETTA: You got it. So... Want to give it a try?

1. Well... you only live once.
2. No, thanks.

I'd say it's time to chug! Ingesting strange drugs never did anyone any harm!

ROSETTA: Thanks, Bush!

ROSETTA: Now, chug it!

(*The sound used for drinking does play*)

BUSH: Gulp...gulp...

BUSH: ...?

ROSETTA: How is it?

BUSH: ...!!

BUSH: My mind... feels clear...

Bush's intelligence went up!

ROSETTA: Huh?! I heard that it's supposed to make you healthy...

ROSETTA: I guess I was right not to drink it. I'll be more careful about what that place recommends from now on.

ROSETTA: At least I got that out of this. Thanks, Bush.

Sure, but can you refer us to this line of business? I want more of these. :eng101:

But, yeah, this is the effect of the Serpent Constellation that we triggered last update. Our INT is now naturally 17, our highest of the 4 base stats. Good stuff.

If we talk to Danny, he says nothing about his situation. I don't know if he's trying to save face or what, but he won't really do anything to let us help.

And he doesn't actually lower his prices! :argh:

GANESHA: I heard you went to Whale Island. Can I ask a favor from you?

BUSH: What is it?

GANESHA: Marco keeps asking to tag along...

BUSH: Don't worry. The monsters there are way too dangerous. I would never take Marco with me.

GANESHA: Really? That's good to hear.

Part of me would like to take Marco with us as it'd be a neat little side thing to do, but it's also probably not a good idea to take the 10 year old to fight sword wielding goblins.

Speaking of Marco, he's upstairs with Candy today.

Since the last time I checked my grass farm, we now have 28 Water and 28 Grass. I haven't been doing that good of a job at managing it each day.

The kids have nothing interesting to say, though I do learn that Public Square, the amphitheatre place with the singing rock, has a really high 36 Water Runeys.

I think past me got confused about which area was Public Square though as I started taking water from the main streets of Trampoli.

There's still about another 5-6 days of me poorly managing the Runey Situation. This is what I get for playing so far ahead, I guess.

~Ask a Ninja: Part 2~

"Know yourself before your enemy. No enemy is greater than ignorance. Knowing the pros and cons of the weapon you hold is the first step to victory. This book will discuss weapons other than swords."

"*Spear
Spears have a long reach but a small attack range. Special attacks involve lunging forward, which also paralyzes the enemy."

"*Hammer
Hammers have tremendous raw power. However, the attack speed is very slow. Special attacks stun all enemies within a certain radius."

"*Axe
Axes have great power and a higher chance of critical attack. However, attack speed is slow and is very limited in range. Special attacks deal heavy damage to a single enemy."

"To close, it is recommended that you read this book, not only when you acquire a weapon, but at all times. Never forget that unpreparedness is the most vicious enemy!!"

It only took us about seven updates, but we've finally read the sequel to our first book pamphlet thing. How about that?

When it comes to weapon choice, I'll eventually be leaving that up to the thread's decision, but that'll have to wait until I get the upgraded forge. I'll still be using magic regardless, because I've seen a number of people say it sucks in this game, and it really doesn't.

Alas, Selphy has nothing new to say today.

She also doesn't react at all if we read the "shocking" book she has left open on the table next to her.

LARA: When I think about what if some unknown sickness made a lot of people sick at the same time, I get so scared...

BUSH: It'll be fine. You're not alone, Lara.

BUSH: If it comes to it, we'll all help out. Of course, I will, too.

LARA: I suppose. I really shouldn't be so weak-hearted since I'm the nurse. I'm sorry.

That part about an unknown sickness infecting lots of people is kinda topical for the times sadly. I only bring it up because I hope it dates this LP and rightly shoves off soon.

Lara does sell the means by which I could grind making Neutralizers and then Antidote Herbs, so I might end up doing that some time have lots of money to spend.

STELLA: When I went to the bathhouse the other day, Melody kept lecturing me on how good baths are.

STELLA: She really must love baths.

I'd say that's an understatement! I'm guessing Stella does have one of these lines for all the bachelorettes in town from what I know. She only picks one per day, and I think it might be LP based as most days I get Mist here.

KROSS: It's raining today... It feels like it could wash my soul.

I believe Kross shows up in the church on any rainy day. I could check a character schedule guide to be sure, but I don't feel like it.

CINNAMON: Did you find the Serpent Constellation?

BUSH: Yes.

CINNAMON: Aside from controlling the weather, serpents are also supposed to bring you a good harvest and health. It comes out in legends in all sorts of ways.

CINNAMON: It's also not a bad animal so you should take care of it.

They're not really, but that doesn't make me not mildly afraid of how ornery some of them are. Most of the snakes in my area are highly poisonous!

CINNAMON: You have a talent for magic. Use it.

I will eventually. Believe me, I've got big plans for even just the Fire Staff we got.

KANNO: I was thinking of going out for some fieldwork today, but it's raining. How unfortunate.

Oddly, while most of the people in the Rune Factory world are hindered by rain, just as in real life, it makes Bush's job a whole lot easier for the most part. The same thing goes for really any RF protagonist.

Rain means no watering, and no watering means a bunch of time and RP saved.

Speaking of water, I add some more of those Runeys to the grass farm. I won't really be noting this very often, at least once my plan to manage the ecosystem goes into full swing.

My dungeon strawberries are getting closer to being ready at least. This patch alone will keep me sustained on all future gifting once we leave Spring behind.

UZUKI: I heard that you are adept with the sword, but I am underwhelmed. You need to train more.

She gives us an open welcome to go visit her, and then she drops a harsh critique of our skills right out the gate.

Since it's raining, Uzuki will just be found inside her inn room most of the time instead of training herself. It's fully styled out with what you'd expect, tatami mats, wall scrolls, the whole shebang.

Now it's time for Bush to become properly informed on culture.

BUSH: I wonder if this picture drawn on the scroll is from Uzuki's home country. It's strange, but beautiful.

UZUKI: That's called a "kakejiku." Back in my home country, we hang it on a wall to entertain guests. Make yourself at home.

When I read "strange, but beautiful," I know it means Japan, but I for some reason thought of Mother 1's Magicant. :shrug:

BUSH: This desk is very low, and the chair has no legs.

UZUKI: Hm... We call that a "fumizukue." We sit directly on the floor back in my home country, so tables are made to stand very low.

BUSH: What about this ink and brush? Are you going to draw?

UZUKI: We call the ink "sumi" and the brush "fude" in our country. I was just about to write a letter as I always do.

TSUBUTE: Now that you know, get going! Don't bother the little miss! Go, go!

UZUKI: 'Tis all right, Tsubute... You are more bothersome than he is actually...

Uzuki just throwing shade today.

BUSH: Uzuki, this is just a guess, but is this lamp used by the bed?

UZUKI: Good guess. That's called an "andon." We lay our quilt, or "futon" as we call it, along the edes of this tatami mat.

UZUKI: H-how dare you!

And for whatever reason, we can't escape Bush's unusual habit of wanting to sleep literally anywhere he thinks would be comfortable, thus getting the two briefly angry at us.

Yet, this is the first time anyone's actually responded negatively to us about to take a nap in their bed, which happens to be weirder than anything else.

EUNICE: Is this... for me? Th-thank you!

On the other hand, (or rather, other side of the inn,) Eunice still lacks anything interesting to say. The only accessible gifts for her right now are flowers, the thing we unlocked midway through Spring. I thought she liked chocolate, but no, it apparently has to be chocolate cake.

The game really doesn't do her many favors in the competition between available choices.

Back at home, I spend a while making a bunch more food. Rice balls for Selphy, pickled turnips for cash, and the odd sashimi or two for Uzuki.

A while back I caught a Taimen in the Trampoli's main street waterways, but it's sashimi skill requirement is 48. We're presently half that.

We need about 38 to even attempt it as right now the dish would instantly fail if we tried.

This requires more skill... Failed Dish made.

Praise be to savestates. This fish is going to be sitting in my pockets for weeks.

Having drained my RP on making all that food and with nothing else to really do but cut more lumber, I opt to head up to Whale Island. I can pick up a level up while I'm up here to get refilled.

Alternatively, it'll take me until almost 3:00 PM to reach the tower again, so either way it's pretty much the only course of action.

First thing to do is to show off the Fire Rod.

Instead of the weak puffs of fire from the previous two games, the fireball launched by the rod is flashy, fast, and makes an almost comically large explosion.

You can also bonk enemies with the staff instead, which applies the Weapons skill instead of Magic skill. Since changing weapons does take in-world time, I can see why you might need to not switch in some high tension moments.

The Fire Rod's bonk is pretty weak, but the other staves actually hit quite hard. Just the next staff up the list will hit Buffamoos for 30 and knock them back quite a bit.

But right now, we're focusing on that spellcasting. To a normal Orc, the fireball strikes for 50 damage with our Magic skill and INT. However, the catch is that the fireball has a habit of hitting multiple times.

It's incredibly broken, in fact. I'll demonstrate why in just a bit.

I will say it's very easy to miss with said fireball though. The hitbox isn't that big, and the way Bush holds the staff to fire it can make it miss some short enemies.

Music: Whale Island Outside

Before I go plant those moondrops, I show off how Woolies get their wool burnt off if you hit them with a fire weapon.

It's a small detail that I don't know why they included it, but it's there.

BUSH: So if I plant Moondrop Flowers here, they should grow really well.

The game is very forceful about telling us what to do, but we have to do this to progress Whale Island's story, so I guess it's fair.

Takes me until about 5:00 PM to finally get them planted. I'd have had them done by 3:00, but my detour to get some levels with the fire staff took a bit longer than I'd thought.

Now, to demonstrate the true power of the Fire Staff, I head back up to those Silver Wolves. You know, the ones I could only hit for 1 damage a while back and almost instakilled Bush?

We makin' hot dogs now. If placed right, each shot of the fireball can easily double hit, if not triple hit. That's about 120 damage going out per shot there, meaning we can now 1-shot them. :smug:

I've found a really good way to farm levels and Magic skill here, and I'll show it off in a few days from now.

What only makes it better is that you can cast spells from HP in this game, not just RP like it's predecessors.

I drop a gift off for Melody and grab a bath even though I don't need it. The :japan: scene for Lara triggers this time.

It's two lines long, and all that happens is that she's briefly surprised when a water droplet hits her on the back.

:shrug:

The rest of the day is just spent cutting up more logs and continuing to till out the front rows of the farm. One of my strawberry plant patches doesn't line up with it, but that won't be an issue come Summer.

And if you're wondering how Bush spends the last of his energy for that day, it's warming up his bed with fireballs.

Music: Trampoli Daily Life

(I'm going to be popping in and out of buildings a lot like usual, so just keep listening to this. Or any of the other tracks I've already linked in this update, really. It's up to you.)

Today is Spring 18th, a Friday, and the only exceptional thing is that it's not raining! It's really more of a busywork day.

First off, a status update on how Bush's stats are looking after all the fighting I did yesterday.

Level: 5 - > 9
Max HP: 138 - > 151

STR: 12 -> 16
VIT: 13 -> 16
INT: 12 -> 17 -> 19
AGL: 13 -> 16

Weapons: 18.9 -> 18.99
Magic: 2 -> 10.5
Farming: 27 -> 27.5
Lumber: 15.5 -> 18
Hammer: 13.5 -> 13.9
Fish: 9
Cook: 22.8 -> 24
Lab: 4
Forging: 8
Crafts: 2

Stockpiled Wood: 132 -> 182

Phew. That's a lot.

I also have to spend time this morning depositing a bunch of materials.

ANETTE: You have to respond to it before they all start piling up.

Anette, I don't have any letters to answer

why

These star-shaped flowers are the Moondrops I planted. Had I planted them on the island earlier, I could have already had the story progress involving that tower done already.

One of the biggest time sinks after watering is actually harvesting crops. It's not a very fast process in this game, and it's why I'm hoping I can get some monsters to do it for me in time. All those turnips I planted a few updates back are ready now, and alongside the strawberries and moondrops being ready today, most of my day is going to be spent pulling these up.

Before that is the usual daily talking to everyone. Compared to it's predecessors, this game has a decent amount of incidental daily dialogue. It's nowhere as much as RF3 has, but it's still a core part of it if you ask me.

EUNICE: Wow, thank you! I'll be sure to cherish this flower!

After 17 days, I finally have a gift for Eunice that she likes.

UZUKI: Ha! Ha!

UZUKI:I am in the middle of my training. Do not speak to me right now.

UZUKI: Ha! Ha!

ROSETTA: When Mist moved here, I thought it was the end of our seemingly inseverable ties, but now I'm here...

ROSETTA: I still ask myself what kind of sick joke this is.

Ah, I see you're finally awake. Walked right into that girl's web, same as us, and that nun over there.

drat you turnips. Trampoli was fine until you came along-

Oh, wait, wrong game.

BUSH: You don't like being with Mist, Rosetta?

ROSETTA: Are you asking me if I hate Mist?

there's no escaping, Mist, Rosetta :tinfoil:

ROSETTA: When all is said and done, she's still the oldest friend I have.

ROSETTA: What, were you worried for me? Thanks.

the resistance needs allies, you know where to find us :ninja:

And after that normal conversation, I went to go fishing but accidentally equipped our spear instead as the icons look similar. Spearfishing is a thing, just not in this game.

BUSH: Oh... I haven't read this book yet.

On our daily rounds to the library, Bush starts working on leftmost shelf, nestled behind the ladder.

~The Way of Magic~

"'I want to be a magic user but I have no talent!' For those of you that fit the description above, the heavens have provided you with the 'Cane'. This book will discuss the basics of using canes to do magic."

"First, get yourself a cane. A magic cane can be easily created by any magic user, so try asking one you know to make one for you."

"Just swinging around your magic cane like a regular stick won't do you any good. Use a special attack to first trigger magic. To perform a special attack, hold down the B Button and press the A Button."

The opening lines are kinda pretentious.

Anyways, bonus day, since magic is kinda topical for this update.

~The Way of Magic: Part 2~

"In part 2 of 'The Way of Magic' series, we will cover magic use."

"Magic has the following 4 elemental affinities: fire, water, earth, and wind. Most things in this world belong to one of these elements and are strong or weak against the others. Use this wisely in battle."

"There are also weapons forged by master smiths with magic elements embedded in them. With such arms, you can strike at your enemies' elemental weaknesses simply by swinging your weapon!"

"Topics covered up to this point are the basics of basics. Magic is very complex, and it is up to you to unlock all of its secrets."

Of note is that elemental weapons aren't nearly as hard to make as "master smiths" suggests, and that the weaknesses go

Water > Fire
Fire > Earth
Earth > Wind
Wind > Water

Or something like that, I think. I might be wrong.

Oh, un-frabjous day! Selphy is not here in the library!

Well, she's not in the infirmary again. Lara has nothing interesting to say today, which is a shame because if she did, this update would have been called "The Lara Episode" from the simple but sad fact that she doesn't really feature in updates very often.

I really am just getting repeats of the "don't get attached to money" and her default line.

CINNAMON: The other day, I saw a meteor shower in the southern sky. It was early morning so waking up for it was hard.

KANNO: This is a great place. Runeys grow only in a very specific environment.

Yeah, and I'd still prefer Trampoli not being one of those environments.

KANNO: It is rare to find a place that can grow Runeys at such a stable rate. I cannot wait to research this.

KANNO: Now then, what should I have you do next as my student?

"stable rate" :lol:

MIST: I like seeing people who work by the sweat of their brow.

Mist has been out of the picture for a while now. Really nothing interesting coming up with her since the turnip constellation.

our compiled terms of Mist's Cant defines this as 'good performance, keep it up'. we are only 21% sure of this definition however

Heading on off to Kross, I can't remember if I've showed off the upgraded forge area expansions. They are Cozy, Cool, and Creepy. I don't know what any of them look like presently, but when I can build this, I'll check them out with the power of savestates.

Which one we go with will be up to the thread, as usual.

It'll cost us 20,000g and 240 lumber, of which we only have 1669g and 182 lumber. We're gettng there on the wood, but the gold is going to take some saving up.

ERIK: Spring is the best season to grow crops.

ERIK: Young man, how is your field?

Erik exists. I kinda just forget to talk to him because he's not always standing in an easily reached position. If the thread so desires me to talk to him more, I can start doing that.

Oh, hey, here's Selphy! She's at the mountain pass of all places, with a little parasol she's twirling around.

It's the first time we've seen her outside of a building since we first met her collapsed outside our house.

SELPHY: These ruins are always so interesting. But, it's not that old, right?

BUSH: What kind of books do you like, Selphy?

SELPHY: I like legends, stories, and plays. I'm not interested in cookbooks or blacksmith reipes so I hope you'll buy those.

BUSH: But isn't that the property of the library? Are you even allowed to sell them?

That's... a good point. Why can she do that?

SELPHY: It shouldn't be a problem if I sell them to villagers! Don't sweat the details!

BUSH: ...Are you sure...?

She's just been selling public property and keeping the profits I guess. It's a business model, just not a necessarily legal one.

Then again, the closest this town has to a guard or police is like... Marco. The only authority in town is Stella, I guess?

Welcome to Trampoli. It's like incredibly chill anarchy here.

After this, I kinda just go and manage the Runeys some more.

And then I launch the Homestead into prosperity with the stored up Runeys I have. This was all still being done before I knew exactly what I needed to be doing, so the setup is rather inefficient with way more Runeys than is necessary being released here.

Ideally, in the future, I'm going to migrate all of these to some other easily managed zone to take advantage of that 10/10/10/-2 growth when stocked at 50/50/50/35+. The Homestead Rules prevent that gain in theory, so I'm not getting anything out of the Homestead being prosperous aside from not having to spend Grass Runeys on it.

Alongside this I'm going to drain all the other zones as well, of course.

Harvesting all these crops takes me right up against 5:00 PM, but I've got enough time to slip into my house before Rosetta arrives. This way I can cook a large portion of these turnips in the span of 1 minute.

Time not moving while inside houses is just one of those things you have to use to your advantage.

I'm not in major need of cash right now, so I only ship out the 9 pickled turnips I made and 1 Moondrop just for the sake of having it in the sale records screen. I'll keep working on squeezing every last gold piece I can from these turnips.

After that it's off to take an obligatory bath.

NOLAN: This strawberry looks delicious.

Neither Nolan nor Melody have anything interesting to say today, but I did want to point out that the little heart effects come from the cat and not Nolan. This would suggest it is alive in spite of it's incredibly chill nature and the unusual position at which it remains.

2 in-game hours later, and I've made it back to the tower on the Whale Island Fin. I have to water those seeds every day after all.

Also, the cutscene with the mysterious girl in white shows up every time we come here after 6:00 PM.

And now...!

TIME FOR ULTIMATE TAMING

BUSH... VERSUS... WHALE ISLAND WOOLY

Combatant Bush takes a light blow, but he holds in there! Look at that practiced brushing motion!

Oooooooh! A nasty combo attack! Can he do it?

BUSH: There, there. It's okay.

He's done it, folks! What a show!

So yeah, as mentioned previously, taming monsters is all about getting punched in the gut until they decide that punching you in the gut is maybe kinda rude.

I caught this Wooly for the specific reason that the younger me would always name one "Fluff" or "Fuff". This is for you, younger me. :3:

If the thread wants more Woolies, then that's fine by me.

That's all for this time! Join us next time as Bush begins his journey to become the Ferocious Frymaster! The Super Sizzler! The Savage Skilleteer!

...Um, he buys a frying pan. Some other stuff happens too.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 19, 2023

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
For all that the Runey system is a pain in the rear end, I gotta admit, a farm full of floating Runeys is a beautiful, magical sight.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 14: Inedible Set Dressing

Today, or tonight rather, we're headed off to check out that fancy barn we had made.

Well, we've checked it out once, but we never went inside. It has one of those!

BUSH: Whoa!

BUSH: I remember seeing this monster on Whale Island. Did it come all the way here?

BUSH: Jeez...

The little pink flower elephant made it's way down here... somehow. Despite it being here, it won't eat any of our food or do anything really!

It'll just sit in that corner until a later event happens.

The main room of the barn is massive, especially compared to how it looks on the outside. Fluff is standing in that pile of hay in the back.

In fact, all this hay is inedible set dressing. We still have 0 fodder.

BUSH: There, there. It's okay.

And then we brush Fluff. Every time Bush uses the brush, his voice line is a "heeey there!"

It's dorky, but very Bush. Though, his normal angry grunts and call outs being used while brushing would be hilarious.

When you interact with monsters, you can opt to bring them with you to help fight, ride them if capable, or release them back to the First Forest.

The last one's a bit dark, no matter the way you write it.

The little ledger in the entrance lets us move our monsters around or check their stats.

With a level of 13, a max HP of 285, ATK of 52, DEF of 59, and MAG 46, our little wooly outmatches Bush. Terrifying.

Despite how promising those stats may seem, woolies aren't great at fighting given their poor moveset.

I go outside to finish up the rest of the farming for the day, which takes me until about 9:00 PM.

Before Bush hits they hay, I send him into the Green Ruins to test something.

Yeah, just had to make sure. Those rocks blocking the path to better minerals in Green Ruins are gated behind having a Silver Hammer for sure.

Just had to check again, because these really do look like the rocks in our field that we can break.

Broadsword Lv: 1 was synthesized.
Two-handed Sword Lv: 1 was synthesized.

A blade piece from a goblin and some iron lets me make another broadsword, and that plus some more iron can make a two handed sword.

Two-handed swords are big.

They also have a decently fast wide swing.

In general, these are kinda the average weapons. Alright damage, alright attack speed, but they do have some good crowd control.

New day!

And with it being the weekend, we need to look our finest. Thus, Bush sets about making himself a hat!

A straw hat. From flour and glue.

Straw Hat Lv:1 was synthesized.

Ah, just like any good farmer ought to be opening the day; a straw hat and a giant sword.

Takes me until 8:32 to finish all the Homestead farmwork, so it's doing me good.

BUSH: I have to care for it a little longer before it will listen to me.

Also gotta remember to brush Fluff every morning. Monsters in this game won't give you their harvestable until they have a decent bit of friendship with you.

With that done, it's time to see what's up with the town.

MARCO: Did you know? There's supposedly a secret passage that leads to Mist's house from the back of the church.

MARCO: It's one of my own hidden passages. I'll tell you in secret.

Hate to break it to you, kid, but it's not that hidden. I used to use it more than the normal way to town!

CANDY: Whale Island is so mysterious... It's the first time I've ever seen an island floating in the sky.

I find it funny that the least mysterious thing about the flying island is why it's floating in the first place. But you've got questions about how are these beanstalks so rigid, how does the hot spring reach the bathhouse, and how does a tiny pink elephant get down from there?

MIST: Recently, I hear a lot of rustling around my house.

MIST: Maybe some monster I saved by the beach came back to repay my good deed?

MIST: But I've never saved any kind of monster at the beach before...

it wasnt bush i swear :tinfoil:

MIST: Bush, you were on Whale Island, weren't you?

MIST: You must have come from a long family of adventurers.

Something like that, yeah. It's easy to forget that Bush climbs by hand into the skies above the clouds on a regular basis.

LARA: I actually like sweets. Like chocolate cake and jam.

LARA: I know it's bad for my health to eat too much of it, but I just can't help myself...

Lara informs us that we're fueling her sweet tooth.

SELPHY: You know Anette? I get this feeling that she's similar to me.

SELPHY: A book lover...? Hm... It's a bit different, I think...

All I got is that she's blonde too. Given the previous updates, you've been more similar to Cinnamon than anyone else.

Make a Magic Cane: A guide to making staffs. You can make magic staffs, but you can't use magic to make them.

2000G out of our pocket, but hopefully last update proved the potential future value of this book.

Fly! Frying Pan! 1: Beginner's recipe book for dishes that can be made using only a fry pan.

It's 500g and we'll be buying the pan today so why not, really?

~Up Your Quality~

"Not satisfied with merely growing crops and making items? Want to raise the quality of your crops and items to sell for more? Then you need the know-how to become a first-rate designer!"

"The quality of an item is reflected by its 'Item Level'. As the level of an item rises, not only can you sell it for more, but the item's performance improves, too."

"For example:
Tools: RP consumption down."
Accessories: Defense up.
Foods: Effect duration up.
Medicine: Recovery amount up.
And, etc.

Better the item level, the better the items are overall. Even a pickled turnip is a spectacular item at level 10.

UZUKI: Recently, I started fishing because someone recommended it to me. However, it is more difficult than I thought.

I'm guessing this was Cinnamon's doing.

EUNICE: Lalalala... ♪ Cleaning can feel so good. Why don't you give it a try, Bush?

Sorry, Eunice, I already don't clean my field up enough.

EUNICE: I clean the bar in the morning. It's hard because sometimes I find broken dishes here and there.

That's... pretty bad. Ganesha and Turner must be throwing some wild parties in there, but you'd think Rita would at least clean broken glass up.

Is Eunice doing all the work here? :smith:

Elsewhere, Rosetta's still dropping hints on what to do with the Moondrops. Most of her dialogue will be eaten up by this until we pass this story flag, unfortunately.

LUTE: The Handy Frying Pan is used to cook stir-fried foods.

And since it's the weekend, we visit our buddy Lute. He's also selling the oven and steamer today, but those require a larger kitchen.

I believe next time around he'll be selling the mixer, which I think we do have space for.

Anyways, it's off to find the rest of the townsfolk for the day.

CINNAMON: I'm sad I can't fish crabs here.

BUSH: (You can fish crabs with a fishing pole...?)

CINNAMON: Was there something......interesting......on Whale Island?

KANNO: The Runeys of these ruins and Whale Island...

KANNO: Hm... The mysteries are increasing in number. I have no time to waste!

Cinnamon and her grandfather are up at the ruins on the mountainside.

MELODY: I decided to make some bath salts and put them in the bath. I'm researching about what kind to make right now.

MELODY: I love "Relax Tea." I drink it while I'm in the bath to relax even more.

Melody's also up here. This place gets crowded on weekends. Relax Tea requires a skill level 88 cooking recipe consistent of a couple colored grasses, and that has to be used in a cooking pot for a 95 skill recipe.

This might be the hardest favorite gift to make, and also just goes to kinda show how all the crafting recipes got sort of overtuned.

And then while I'm on the mountain, I collect some more cherries.

Back home, we've got our frying pan!

The primary use for this will be using up the rest of the fish in our inventory. Every fish can be fried, but only some can be made into sashimi.

Either way, wave hello to the cheapest source of RP in the game!

P. Carp Roast Lv:5 was synthesized.

We can also make one of Anette's liked gifts but it's liked as much as strawberries, so we're really not going out of our way to make it instead.

MIST: Stella lent me this house. At first, the roof leaked to no end, but rainy days soon became fun on their own.

I feel like we're missing part of this conversation somewhere. I imagine it's something like she entertains herself by plugging up the leaks, but who knows with Mist?

Then Grass Farm management happens...

BUSH: Oh? What's that, Candy?

CANDY: Oh, this? This is a doll.

CANDY: Sis made it for me for my birthday.

This isn't a hint that it's her birthday, actually. It's about 8 days from now, on the 27th.

BUSH: It's cute... Actually it looks funny. A bit scary too, I might add.

CANDY: Hahaha! Maybe! But I don't know what it's a doll of.

CANDY: But it's still my treasure!

:3:

Unfortunately, we never get to see what said doll looks like. Maybe it's for the best.

With that nice little conversation done, I decide to just finish up Green Ruins today.

Well, almost finish. I'm not doing the boss just yet. I am going to blitz through and open up all the shortcuts though.

Last time I came here, I could have opened up the first shortcut, but I ran past it. My memory of this dungeon's layout isn't great, and I thought it was after the Big Mucks.

Said Big Mucks are merely optional, as the room behind them is just more farm fields.

Doesn't stop Bush from getting his revenge though. Being a good deal stronger now, they're not much of an issue.

The fire staff would obliterate them, but I felt more like using the new giant sword we made. Magic does still use a lot of energy- it's better used to mostly handle hard encounters.

The path we need to follow is just to the entrance of this room.

It leads us around more circular pathways, but if we take the first left...

Then south through these two doors...

We find the entrance to floor 3.

Down the stairs is a number of winding corridors, and also a Little Mage! These are the first enemy we meet that uses magic against us, and it'll pack a bit of a punch.

Among other materials that can be gotten elsewhere, they do have a very small chance to drop Fire Crystals, used in making fire-element weapons or staves.

Fire as an element won't be particularly useful for a long time, alas.

Ah, more spiraling rooms-

BEEEEEEES :supaburn:

Hornets aren't nearly as dangerous as they used to be. They were horrifyingly strong in RF1, but now they've been thankfully nerfed.

About the only interesting thing I can say about them is that they give honey when harvested and can sometimes drop the Toxin material.

We end up getting poisoned, but it doesn't hurt much, really.

Also on this floor are Pecks, or as previously known in the series, Cluckadoodles. I think the latter is a much better name. They look like roosters, and they lay eggs.

They also spit eggs to attack!

I don't know how that works.

Some winding hallways later, there's also Buffamoo down here.

More winding paths later, and I've opened the shortcut for floor 3!

Although, just to the east from there is the staircase that leads to floor 4.

The final floor is just one sorta big room with some more farm fields in it. But with this door open, that's all of it!

BUSH: There's something up ahead...

1. I should turn back...
2. Let's go!

Well, aside from this ominously large door. Nothing about these giant feathers laying around could suggest what's inside. Boss fights? Nah, that's ludicrous, why would this game have boss fights!?

But before we do go in there, I've got to prepare some things first.

It's also 9:43 PM by the time we get home. Took me about 4 and a half hours to zoom through there, and I barely fought anything!

I am left with a good amount of RP after a level up, so I start by burning it away frying fish.

Pale Carp(24cm) Lv:6 was caught perfectly!

Then I catch a bunch more fish. I get a few trout for sashimi and a number of other high level fish.

And with that, it's time to sleep!

I'll cut the update here, making it a bit shorter than usual. I don't really think doing half of tomorrow and cutting it there would be any better.

Next time: We prepare to make story progress and probably start voting on what to get for our barn!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 19, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Whoops, double post

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

I feel a bit sorry for Eunice, her whole life is drudgery and she's not very exciting personally so I bet most people don't marry her. They shoulda made Lute a candidate instead; he's good looking and helpful at least.

I regret to report that the Spring music link is going to Goodnight again!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

cardinale posted:

I feel a bit sorry for Eunice, her whole life is drudgery and she's not very exciting personally so I bet most people don't marry her. They shoulda made Lute a candidate instead; he's good looking and helpful at least.

I regret to report that the Spring music link is going to Goodnight again!

Yeah, Eunice gets the short straw when it comes to a lot of stuff in this game, even her character arc is... something else.

If Lute was an option, it'd be fantastic. He's a charming guy, and honestly there's a bit of something between him and Bush if you ask me, but this series is only now just getting same-sex marriage in RF5 thanks to XSEED adding it in. Rune Factory's not had a good history with being very equal in representation.

As for the Spring link, :negative: and :argh: simultaneously.

I don't know what's up with that link, but it's all sorts of weird. It was actually working before!

I think something about linking to the playlist is gonna be a bit screwy, so the only thing I can do now is go back and try to replace all of them with direct links. I'll get on that...

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 21, 2021

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Monster Intermission 1: Green Ruins, Whale Island Cave & Fin

So, I'm doing a brief little intermission here instead of your normal update. Way back at the beginning of the LP I said the thread was going to get to vote on what monsters we tame, and now it's about time!

The next update won't include any taming in it, as it's the last of my buffer updates- I haven't played the game in almost a month!

Should I have maybe done this sooner? Yeah, but no time for regrets, we've got monsters to vote on!

So, with Fluff in the barn, we've got 9 open slots right now. However, I'm reserving one slot for a particular monster coming up in the next dungeon. That makes 8 slots open for monsters! And you can vote to have more Woolies if you want, I don't mind having duplicates of monsters.

It'll be a bit before I can even consider getting the Barn extension, so these are all the slots we have to work with for now. If there's nothing amazingly interesting here for you yet, feel free to wait until some new stuff comes along.

Naming restrictions are identical to what they were before when it came to naming Bush, so 6 letters long basically.

I'll be going through every monster we've seen so far.

*Green Ruins*

Up first is a Chitter/Chipsqueak. Bush had one in the intro movie, I guess?

UTILITY: They'll harvest wild plants for us!

And next we have an Ant. Truly inventive, this one.

UTILITY: These hardworking buggers can harvest our crops for us.

This here is a Spring. It's in the dungeon with the season of Spring. They're also kinda springy I guess.

UTILITY: These plant shotguns produce seeds! I'm guessing they're spring season seeds, but I've never had one so I'm just guessing.

There's also Slime! You can have your very own cave slime today!

UTILITY: They can break rocks for us! I've no idea if they're stronger than our hammer at that, but still!

These goofy but deadly things are Big Mucks.

UTILITY: When harvested they either produce a colored grass or a jewel!

Magic power?! It's a Little Mage!

UTILITY: He'll cut lumber for us with the power of magic, I guess.

Here be bees! Or, uh, Hornets, I guess.

UTILITY: Despite not being bees, they produce honey. How about that?

This right here be a mighty fine Clucky. I called it a Peck before, but that's apparently it's higher level version from a later dungeon. I still prefer Cluckadoodle myself.

UTILITY: They lay eggs, surprising right?

*Whale Island*

A Goblin appears! What shall you do?

UTILITY: Goblin uses Harvest Crop! It hast struck a most excellent blow!

This right here, is a tired Orc. We'll just let this lazy peon rest.

UTILITY: If we woke him up, he could harvest some crops for us.

This right here, is an Orc, but hear me out on this... it has a bow. That makes it an Orc Archer.

UTILITY: They'll uh, also harvest crops.

Woolies! Series mascot! Fluffball! Makes weird sounds!

UTILITY: Amazingly, you can shear these bipedal sheep for their wool. Pretty innovative gameplay right there.

Big ol' monster cows known as Buffamoo. I think they used to be called Peekamoo.

UTILITY: In groundbreaking game design, these make milk!

And lastly, we've got ourselves Silver Wolves. Rather dangerous, these beasts, but I'm sure they're not all that bad.

UTILITY: We can ride it around!

Remember, you can choose to leave some slots open in your vote. Also, if you don't give me names, I'll just have to come up with some myself.

So there's our options! Get to voting, and I'll be able to get started on the next updates!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
We need an Ant and a Goblin for crops.

Two Buffamoo for milk.

Two Cluckys for eggs.

And another Woolie for wool.

Final slot is for whatever.