Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DreamingofRoses posted:

[*]Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

I don't know what the official definition of romance novel is but I think many people, including me, think of it as being ultimately a love story. What surprised me about GOTW is how it's not really that at all. Scarlett's and Rhett's relationship is important but the story is all about Scarlett's life and struggles. Her various husbands, including Rhett, are just bit players in that narrative. You could say that's the tragedy of her character, she never could look outside herself and appreciate the people in her life.

Nobody is gonna call GOTW progressive on race issues but for a story centered on a female written in the early 20th Century, I found it very compelling. It was not at all what I expected.

I think paranormal romances are more of what I was thinking "romance novel" means. Rewatching Buffy, and more specifically studying the academic literature on how massively popular vampire fiction is and what it all means, I'm tempted to try some. I think Anne Rice is credited as the founder of modern vampires and paranormal romance and I've read her. But since then it's become more of a YA thing, which isn't a problem for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU