Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

around this time of year I like to catch up on scary/atmospheric movies, also a good horror story is always welcome. if you watch or read something seasonal, tell us about it! you don't have to review or summarize it if you don't want, just tell us a little bit, including if it's a movie whether it's on a streaming service or something, and maybe other people will watch it too!

I like to review people's "best of" lists for ideas, which led me to watch Concrete Plans on az prime last night. not a horror film per se, more of a "real life situation where things go horribly wrong" deal. very english, focusing among other things on class divide (the poor as hell workers vs. the rich prick who hires them) and also with a sympathetic eye towards immigrants and the particular intolerance they face. the movie definitely kept my interest but I didn't find it particularly uplifting or pleasant to watch, some of the characters are real annoying assholes and others are shown as being tragically weak. it does capture that sinking feeling as things get worse and worse which you'd be familiar with from movies like Shallow Grave or A Simple Plan, picking two at random.

I'm def interested the new candyman remake but it's currently at a premium on the streaming services. I may wait for the price to come down, but I have the old candyman on dvd and I'll probably watch that at least, it's a v good horror movie imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
currently watching season 1 of castle rock on hulu and i'm loving it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6548228/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

got two episodes into midnight mass on netflix and thought it was good but got distracted by other things so i'll eventually finish that. it's the third in netflix's pseudo answer to american horror story in that it uses a lot of the same actors playing different roles for each of it's three seasons. first season was the haunting of hill house, the second was the haunting of bly manor, both of which i thought were very well done.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10574558/

Manifisto

nice! it may be time to dust off my hulu account which I think I lost due to inactivity lol

ty nesamdoom!

biosterous

i watch The Thing (1982) every spookums season because it's so good, god i love it so much

i can also recommend The House at the End of Time (2013), a good foreign language tense spookums movie. i can't really say much about it without giving stuff away!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

French Accent

i'm currently doing a weekly horror groupwatch with some friends. last night, we watched The vvitch and Suspiria (1977).

i've watched suspiria before, but watching it again has given me newfound love for the movie. the soundtrack is absolutely off the wall and the lighting work is sublime for its time, even today it looks great!

as for the vvitch... i don't know if i should say anything about it, it'd feel like i'm spoiling it. good movie, however.

French Accent

oh right, i also watched Screams 1 and 2. absolutely goofy (and gory) movies but they pay tribute to their horror movie ancestors very well.

Manifisto

French Accent posted:

i'm currently doing a weekly horror groupwatch with some friends. last night, we watched The vvitch and Suspiria (1977).

i've watched suspiria before, but watching it again has given me newfound love for the movie. the soundtrack is absolutely off the wall and the lighting work is sublime for its time, even today it looks great!

as for the vvitch... i don't know if i should say anything about it, it'd feel like i'm spoiling it. good movie, however.

nice! personally I also enjoyed Suspiria (2018), which is free with amazon prime right now. like any good remake it is a reimagining of the story, not just a straightforward retelling. I think it has great atmosphere, largely of a slow burn variety, with a few extremely memorable visuals (esp. at the end).

the vvitch is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to movies from the sort of indie film/entertainment company A24. they are pretty well established at this point with hit films such as Hereditary, Midsommar, Lady Bird, Moonlight, and Uncut Gems, but they have a nice catalog of sleeper horror or at least horror-adjacent films that are worth seeking out. The Lighthouse is by the same director as the vvitch and it's really good though weird. I would also mention for example The Blackcoat's Daughter, It Comes at Night, and The Killing of a Sacred Deer as being thought-provoking and worthwhile, but there's really a lot of good ones in their catalog, including a bunch I haven't seen.

ty nesamdoom!

French Accent

Manifisto posted:

nice! personally I also enjoyed Suspiria (2018), which is free with amazon prime right now. like any good remake it is a reimagining of the story, not just a straightforward retelling. I think it has great atmosphere, largely of a slow burn variety, with a few extremely memorable visuals (esp. at the end).

i didn't know better when i saw the trailers for the remake, thinking that the lack of vibrant colors would go against the heart and soul of the original. i might as well be as wrong as someone could possibly be wrong, cause it's been lauded as an amazing movie, even to the point of being better than the original. maybe some day i'll watch it, but i've got other movies on my schedule. perhaps next year!

quote:

I would also mention for example The Blackcoat's Daughter, It Comes at Night, and The Killing of a Sacred Deer as being thought-provoking and worthwhile, but there's really a lot of good ones in their catalog, including a bunch I haven't seen.

A24 has certainly been an indie powerhouse. i've heard of it comes at night but not the other two. i'll see if i can convince my friends to watch one of these.

Escape From Noise

The 1977 camp horror comedy House. Every loving time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_Yo06kIIA

Also The Evil Dead trilogy.

Manifisto

another "best of" recommendation was Bloodthirsty, once again on amazon slime. the film picked up as it went on but I found the first half to be rather plodding. I don't want to spoil it but the general premise is a promising young singer and her girlfriend stay at a reclusive producer's isolated mansion to work on her new album. she's been a vegan since childhoot and suffers from disturbing dreams and hallucinations, but the producer recognizes an appetite in her that he encourages. the film gets more interesting in the second half at least, a lot of what happens is predictable but not everything. still overall it felt kinda slight.

a number of recommendations on my list are on the Shudder service, I think I might give it a try this year. I've thought about it in past years but the movies I really wanted to see weren't on it.

ty nesamdoom!

nut

tonight i watched all episodes from both seasons of Sexy Beasts on Netflix with two friends and it prob counts as spooky

Manifisto

speaking of remakes, I finally watched The Thing (2011) on amzn prime. I'll leave it to others to critique the special effects (for being cgi rather than the cool practical effects they started out with), I thought they were just fine. the problem is the remake (prequel, whatever) had absolutely none of the atmosphere, the sense of paranoia and chilling dread, that pervaded Carpenter's outing. it's honestly a tough act to follow, which raises the question of why they bothered in the first place. obviously not to get my box office money lol.

ty nesamdoom!

Prof. Crocodile

boo-osterous posted:

The House at the End of Time (2013)

this movie was legitimately creepy and unsettling, but also beautiful and moving, and thank you for reminding me about it.

Prof. Crocodile

also if you can find the 1973 film Messiah of Evil it is a great b-horror film.

it has a low-budget John Carpenter feel, complete with the mix of loneliness and paranoia that you will remember from films like The Thing and Prince of Darkness. It's also one of those movies where the low budget makes it more effective. It's like one of those scary movies that you would watch late at night on cable access channels when you were a young orb who was supposed to be in bed.

Escape From Noise

A Tale of Two Sisters is a great Korean Horror film. It may not be for everyone, but I really enjoyed the Hong Kong horror film Dumplings.

the unabonger
Anyone listening to the spooked podcast? I'm going to be playing this one for my students fairly soon:

https://www.wnyc.org/story/snap-627-el-payaso-zombie/

Also, gonna do my yearly rewatch of Trick r Treat soon, I love it, a great anthology film.

Manifisto

just finished watching Saint Maud (on hulu), an A24 production. I thought it was outstanding. the movie really walked a tightrope between matters of sincere religious faith, mental illness, and the supernatural. the performances are very good, and the plot keeps you guessing. uh it's about a nurse who recently converted to catholicism after a religious revelation of a highly ambiguous sort, who takes on a job to work with a dying former dancer and socialite. imo it's movies like this one that make you hopeful that the genre will continue to put out really good films rather than generic fare. probably not for those looking for fast-paced stuff, it moves slowly but I didn't feel it dragged.

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

i flunked out posted:

Also, gonna do my yearly rewatch of Trick r Treat soon, I love it, a great anthology film.

I put it on my list!

The Vigil (on hulu) uses jewish faith and traditions as its jumping off point, pretty effectively I thought. at first I didn't think I'd like the (subtle but undeniable) thread of recognizably semitic humor shooting through an otherwise quite creepy haunting tale, but it ended up working. the story follows a somewhat hapless young man who recently left an orthodox community and is hired to keep the traditional vigil over the body of a recently deceased member. it turns out he is contending with a talmudic evil spirit called a mazzik, which is a pretty transparent metaphor for past trauma. the way the movie was up front about its symbolism but still retained its effectiveness reminded me of The Babadook, a film I really should rewatch.

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

Has anyone else seen Mother? I really liked that one.

Escape From Noise

Oh sh

Manifisto

Escape From Noise posted:

Has anyone else seen Mother? I really liked that one.

yeah! and I agree, it was very well done. ambitious.

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

there is apparently an evil bong 2 and 3, sounds like a killer :okpos: triple feature

Prof. Crocodile

Mother was good!

If you like Asian horror films The Wailing is very creepy and has a deceptively intricate plot and mythology that will lead you through a very cool supernatural mystery. 23:59 is a much more straightforward horror film about a haunted military camp, but it has some legitimately creepy moments and a very human heart.

Escape From Noise

Manifisto posted:

there is apparently an evil bong 2 and 3, sounds like a killer :okpos: triple feature

I think there are several. Including a crossover with The Gingerdead Man

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Just your typical C-SPAM nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qj8eH8Ites

Manifisto

nice!

paging nut who will want to see this documentary

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Come True (hulu) is a movie about dreams. I don't want to say too much more about it, the film has an atmosphere that benefits from ambiguity. uh if you like or at least appreciate the art of Zdzisław Beksiński it seems like that might have been an inspiration. solid performance by lead Julia Sarah Stone. who doesn't have many lines so has to carry a lot of the movie just through her presence. when all is said and done kind of hard to classify really, but that's a good thing. I can imagine it being polarizing but I think many worthwhile films are.

ty nesamdoom!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Manifisto posted:

Come True (hulu) is a movie about dreams. I don't want to say too much more about it, the film has an atmosphere that benefits from ambiguity. uh if you like or at least appreciate the art of Zdzisław Beksiński it seems like that might have been an inspiration. solid performance by lead Julia Sarah Stone. who doesn't have many lines so has to carry a lot of the movie just through her presence. when all is said and done kind of hard to classify really, but that's a good thing. I can imagine it being polarizing but I think many worthwhile films are.

Holy crap, that's a lot of words while not revealing a single thing from the movie. I feel like this might be my cup of tea if you can't even describe the movie without giving away the entire thing 😂

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

https://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

alnilam

hell-o

alnilam

Lot of good movies itt. The vvitch is legit one of my favorite movies of all time not just horror.

Last night we watched Nightmare on Elm Street, a classic, the sequels get campy in a way that ranges from delightful to a little over the top, but the first is a legit good horror flick. I was especially surprised to notice that the English teacher is the medium lady from Insidious, which was a funny coincidence to me as they are both very specifically night-terror based movies and I've never noticed her in anything else iirc. I guess if you can carve out your niche in night terror oriented films roughly once every 30 years then good for you imo

Escape From Noise

It's cheesey, campy, was recorded in black and white but not released until well after color pictures were the norm, and stars the guy who's the evil clown in House of 1000 Corpses, but I fuckin' love Spiderbaby. It's on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiEXdUjtoU4

The title song slaps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7RT9OGzXL4

It's so good Mike Patton covered it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGjbDsjuoA8

Manifisto

that looks perfect for a cheesy halloween feature, and yeah that's a pretty ace title track!

ty nesamdoom!

Ventral EggSac

I haven't read a lot of horror, but Melmoth by Sarah Perry was great

Manifisto

Viginti Septem posted:

Holy crap, that's a lot of words while not revealing a single thing from the movie. I feel like this might be my cup of tea if you can't even describe the movie without giving away the entire thing 😂

lol I suppose I could say "a young lady is troubled by haunting dreams and seeks help" if that gives you anything to go on? I'm not sure that it does. I hope you do watch it tho!

I also watched She Dies Tomorrow (hulu). I guess the goal here was to make something quirky and unusual. the result is not really my cup of tea. a lady is convinced she is going to die the next day based on no particular evidence, and her conviction turns out to be contagious. I appreciate the attempt to be cinematically adventurous--a bunch of critics seemed to like it--and the ambiguous nature of the premise wasn't the problem. the pacing just felt unbearably glacial, particularly towards the beginning, and the quirkiness of the performances felt forced and offputting.

Ventral EggSac posted:

I haven't read a lot of horror, but Melmoth by Sarah Perry was great

cool, what's it about?

ty nesamdoom!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Okay. I watched it

:stare:

Manifisto

Viginti Septem posted:

Okay. I watched it

:stare:

lol you have outdone me in terseness

ty nesamdoom!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

recently watched and enjoyed Malignant which is fun as all get out maybe a bit too long but still very much a good time

Ventral EggSac

Manifisto posted:

cool, what's it about?

A being that witnesses all the bad things we do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

s...santa?