Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
Rewatched The Descent last night with my girlfriend. Movie stresses me out, it always reminds of the time I realized I'm terrified of caving in the middle of a cave.

She is going to be showing me The Conjuring later this week. I haven't seen it yet, mostly because I dislike the Warrens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

i flunked out posted:

Rewatched The Descent last night with my girlfriend. Movie stresses me out, it always reminds of the time I realized I'm terrified of caving in the middle of a cave.

yeah! for me the stress is bearable but the movie's just so good at conveying claustrophobia. not everybody knows the movie's ending was changed (for american audiences) I guess.

Bo-Pepper posted:

recently watched and enjoyed Malignant which is fun as all get out maybe a bit too long but still very much a good time

oo looks interesting

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

The Descent is really good, like 70% of it is just a sports/outdoors trip gone horribly wrong, before anything actually supernatural happens.

I didn't know there was a changed ending, I saw it where it turns out she's just insane / hallucinating the shaft of light at the end, I'm guessing the edit was they made it look like the cave exit was real?

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Escape From Noise posted:

The 1977 camp horror comedy House. Every loving time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_Yo06kIIA

Also The Evil Dead trilogy.

In watching House (1985) a comedy horror with George Went second billed!

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

I didn't know there was a changed ending, I saw it where it turns out she's just insane / hallucinating the shaft of light at the end, I'm guessing the edit was they made it look like the cave exit was real?

here's the wikipedia summary: "The Descent was released in North America with approximately one minute cut from the end. In the American cut, Sarah escapes from the cave and sees Juno, but the film does not cut back to the cave. The 4 August 2006 issue of Entertainment Weekly reported that the ending was trimmed because American viewers did not like its "uber-hopeless finale". Lionsgate marketing chief Tim Palen said, "It's a visceral ride, and by the time you get to the ending you're drained. [Director Neil] Marshall had a number of endings in mind when he shot the film, so he was open [to making a switch]." Marshall compared the change to the ending of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, saying, "Just because she gets away, does that make it a happy ending?" The ending is featured on DVD as an "unrated cut" in the United States.

I first saw it with the american ending. the change certainly does provoke a reassessment of the film.

alnilam

Basically the exact same thing that happened to Brazil lol

the unabonger
edit, whoops too late

alnilam posted:

The Descent is really good, like 70% of it is just a sports/outdoors trip gone horribly wrong, before anything actually supernatural happens.

The other ending was that she hallucinated her friend in the back of the car, then it ends. the UK ending you saw was determined to be too sad for us viewers

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

currently watching season 1 of castle rock on hulu and i'm loving it

I've been enjoying this so far, thanks for the recommendation!

ty nesamdoom!

take the moon

by sebmojo

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Mother was good!

If you like Asian horror films The Wailing is very creepy and has a deceptively intricate plot and mythology that will lead you through a very cool supernatural mystery. 23:59 is a much more straightforward horror film about a haunted military camp, but it has some legitimately creepy moments and a very human heart.

i watched the wailing it was p good

i want this to be the halloween i finally watch hausu

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

the unabonger
So based on the recommendation of a friend, I ended up watching Eden Lake. They knew I liked Funny Games, and assumed I would like this one, but honestly it left a bad taste in my mouth. It felt more like the bad people were bad... because they were poor, and the good people were good because they were upper middle class. It genuinely felt that the "monster" of thre movie was just straight up poor people. Idk. ​It honestly kind of reminded me of Harry Brown and how little I liked that movie.

Escape From Noise

i flunked out posted:

So based on the recommendation of a friend, I ended up watching Eden Lake. They knew I liked Funny Games, and assumed I would like this one, but honestly it left a bad taste in my mouth. It felt more like the bad people were bad... because they were poor, and the good people were good because they were upper middle class. It genuinely felt that the "monster" of thre movie was just straight up poor people. Idk. ​It honestly kind of reminded me of Harry Brown and how little I liked that movie.

Oh man. I love Funny Games. That transition from classical music to Naked City is wild.

the unabonger

Oh man. I love Funny Games. That transition from classical music to Naked City is wild.

nut

i flunked out posted:

totally agree, I watched eden lake forever ago and hated it in a way that I still remember now

the unabonger
Gonna watch As Above, So Below tonight. I'm looking forward to it, I'm a big fan of found footage films and I've heard... interesting things about it. Idk if I'm going to be able to see the one dude as anything other than the stoner laywer from silicon valley.

Manifisto

i flunked out posted:

Gonna watch As Above, So Below tonight. I'm looking forward to it, I'm a big fan of found footage films and I've heard... interesting things about it. Idk if I'm going to be able to see the one dude as anything other than the stoner laywer from silicon valley.

I liked this one! hope you enjoy it.

The Block Island Sound (netflix) - there's a nice taut thriller in here somewhere, but I thought minutes were wasted lingering over developments that were . . . really not particularly ominous or scary. residents of a new england island in the sparsely populated off season ancounter strange developments from the ocean. the attempt to weave a story about family discord together with seafaring spookiness seems like a promising idea, but to me the elements of the movie felt disjointed. as if the filmmaker had too many ideas of what they wanted the movie to be and tried to put all of them on the screen. I will say though that at the very end the film circles around in an unexpectedly powerful way.

ty nesamdoom!

biosterous

i remember enjoying oculus (2013) but with the caveat of: i was really drunk at a halloween party so i was not fully paying attention and also not thinking very clearly. so maybe it's actually trash idk!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Manifisto

boo-osterous posted:

i remember enjoying oculus (2013) but with the caveat of: i was really drunk at a halloween party so i was not fully paying attention and also not thinking very clearly. so maybe it's actually trash idk!

no I thought it was pretty good!

for those who may be interested, the horror youtube channel spookyastronauts did a roundup of the films of mike flanagan (who directed oculus). among other things it reminded me that I enjoyed his low budget Absentia (2011). also I think I need to watch Doctor Sleep. luvcow already mentioned the Haunting of Hill House / Bly Manor / Midnight Mass trio of miniseries which are also by him (I haven't wached them yet tho).

also also I feel like I need to give Gerald's Game another shot. I turned it off the first time around, it really failed to hold my interest at the time, seemingly circling back to scenarios and themes in Cujo (the novel, never seen the movie).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0CvZ3t04ZY

ty nesamdoom!

the unabonger

boo-osterous posted:

I enjoyed Oculus. Its definitely not trash.

beer pal

catching up heres my takes - i love the blackcoat's daughter a lot man o man the ending sticks with me. i really liked she dies tomorrow i thought it managed to be touching and melancholy and also very funny at times (the scenes where the one lady is at the dinner party). malignant rules, the first half is a little generic but once it pops off its very fun. as above so below i thought was a bit goofy but two of my favorite horror tropes are claustrophobia and shifting walls stuff so it scratched an itch pretty well. if youre like me and you like a slow assed arthousey horror movie where not much really actually happens check out Hagazussa [but cw for sexual violence]

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Manifisto

beer pal posted:

i really liked she dies tomorrow i thought it managed to be touching and melancholy and also very funny at times (the scenes where the one lady is at the dinner party).

different strokes I guess, I wanted to like it. the whole dolphin loving thing in particular struck a false note with me, but humor is really subjective. I suppose my most substantive gripe is to me the film did little to grapple with the concept of death itself, it was more about showing the idiosyncratic ways people contend with it, and I just didn't find those idiosyncrasies to be interesting or touching or funny. if I had liked or cared about the characters more I might feel differently.

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

I don't know what kind of morbid curiosity got me to click on The Green Inferno (2013) (netflix) but let's say I watched it so you don't have to. not because the depictions of cannibalism in this Eli Roth travesty are hard to stomach, although they may be for some people. it's just a bad film, and I say this as someone who has a certain (limited) appreciation for Hostel despite its exploitative gore. if you squint in just the right way it's a sendup of clueless westerners, especially college students, who insert themselves into foreign causes they don't understand, and get a comeuppance at the hands of an amazon rain forest tribe when their plane crashes. but this theme isn't treated with any nuance or insight, and the result comes across as "look at the barbaric things these uncivilized savages do" even though developed/"civilized" humans are not let off the hook. for horror movie buffs I suppose there is a winking nod to older cannibalism flicks, apparently the notorious Cannibal Holocaust (1980) featured a film within a film called The Green Inferno. it's offensive (naturally, transgressing boundaries is one of its aims) but also just lazy, it's not even a bit of trashy fun which is I suppose what I was hoping for. even if the attempted satire weren't so smug, the film doesn't do a competent job of skewering its subjects (leave that to the cannibals amirite haha). I'd say this one will appeal to a highly selective audience, and you probably already know whether you're in it or not.

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

I have watched a fair amount of gore flicks but Cannibal Holocaust is truly awful. That film actually made me barf.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Climax (2018) by Gaspar Noe (known for Enter the Void)

This movie will mess you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi69nL_VrTE

Manifisto

Viginti Septem posted:

Climax (2018) by Gaspar Noe (known for Enter the Void)

This movie will mess you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi69nL_VrTE

oo I just saw this on a list, I'm intrigued

ty nesamdoom!

French Accent

Creep 1 and 2 were on the list with my friends on horror movie watch night. wasn't fond of it due to me experiencing something somewhat similar with a creep i've encountered myself but the others liked it. creep 2 felt better to watch cause that main character went wild! drat!

apparently next week's gonna be Re-animator and From Beyond. anyone watched these movies before? if so, what did you think about those movies?

Escape From Noise

French Accent posted:

Creep 1 and 2 were on the list with my friends on horror movie watch night. wasn't fond of it due to me experiencing something somewhat similar with a creep i've encountered myself but the others liked it. creep 2 felt better to watch cause that main character went wild! drat!

apparently next week's gonna be Re-animator and From Beyond. anyone watched these movies before? if so, what did you think about those movies?

I have seen all the Reanimator films. They're very cheesey.

French Accent

i do enjoy the cheese. i just hope it's not like hellraiser, in terms of how the gore is presented.

Escape From Noise

French Accent posted:

i do enjoy the cheese. i just hope it's not like hellraiser, in terms of how the gore is presented.

I don't remember it super well but I don't think it's like Hellraiser.

Prof. Crocodile

French Accent posted:

from beyond is a very creative goo-and-latex-heavy lovecraftian horror film and it scared the heck out of my when I was younger.

biosterous

someone please recommend me a spookums film, i like stuff with building tension like The Thing and House at the End of Time, i'm okay with moderate amounts of gore (and if it's rad practical effects then that's better), i don't want to have to think too hard to understand what is happening (but! i also like "this is a brainfuck but i know not to try and understand" movies like In the Mouth of Madness)

i don't like stuff like Sinister (2008), the opening scene with the hanging really put me off. i'm okay with violence and murder if it's got a clear supernatural flavour to it but if it feels like it's real-life stuff i do not enjoy

absolutely no sexual violence. a stabmonster killing someone who happens to be sexy is fine though.

probably not any of the A24 movies mentioned because they're good but i'm not in the mood for them lol

there's tons of movies named already itt but i dunno which ones fit!

biosterous fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 18, 2021

gallery of sigs

he/him

Escape From Noise

Happiness of the Katakuris is a musical horror comedy that actually really works in a bizarre way.

It's about a family that moves to the countryside to open an inn. Their guests keep dying, but they don't want it to get out because it would make their new inn cursed, so they bury the bodies out in the woods. It's got a bunch of other threads but that's the main one. It's also pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC5GEKVoTXE

biosterous

Happiness of the Katakuris is a musical horror comedy that actually really works in a bizarre way.

It's about a family that moves to the countryside to open an inn. Their guests keep dying, but they don't want it to get out because it would make their new inn cursed, so they bury the bodies out in the woods. It's got a bunch of other threads but that's the main one. It's also pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC5GEKVoTXE

lmao i need to see this

gallery of sigs

he/him

Escape From Noise

1992's Braham Stoker's Dracula is a very entertaining trainwreck featuring Tom Waits as Renfield, Keanu Reeves doing his darndest trying to do a British accent, Wynona Ryder also trying to do a British accent, Carey Elwes as Wynona Ryder's best friend's fiance, Richard E. Grant as the doctor at the asylum where Renfield is kept, Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing, and, most importantly, Gary Oldman as the titular Dracula. It's got a lot of neat practical effects but is mostly incredibly cheesy. Gary Oldman just chews the loving scenery and his appearance early in the film is the basis for Mr. Burns as a vampire in the Simpsons Halloween Special. Also, it's on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWsAMYBRHt8

Manifisto

boo-osterous posted:

someone please recommend me a spookums film, i like stuff with building tension like The Thing and House at the End of Time, i'm okay with moderate amounts of gore (and if it's rad practical effects then that's better), i don't want to have to think too hard to understand what is happening (but! i also like "this is a brainfuck but i know not to try and understand" movies like In the Mouth of Madness)

i don't like stuff like Sinister (2008), the opening scene with the hanging really put me off. i'm okay with violence and murder if it's got a clear supernatural flavour to it but if it feels like it's real-life stuff i do not enjoy

absolutely no sexual violence. a stabmonster killing someone who happens to be sexy is fine though.

probably not any of the A24 movies mentioned because they're good but i'm not in the mood for them lol

there's tons of movies named already itt but i dunno which ones fit!

you said no a24 but midsommar is so so good, and it's not painfully arty

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

boo-osterous posted:

lmao i need to see this

It's really good. The director does a lot of gore flicks, but he's also done a lot of other stuff.

nut

yesterday, my friend and I blitzed through Puppet Master (funny bad), Leprechaun in the Hood (dumb bad), Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (incredibly good, this was our intentional good pick for the evening), and Slumber Party Massacre II (funny bad but also just incomprehensible). I think next weekend we are going to try and direct towards more consistently good picks, although I have no doubt we will also rewatch Jason X sometime this month.

Escape From Noise

Tetsuo: The Iron Man is a really bizarre artsy body horror film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShJvheZHXdI

It has two sequels. The second film is also really good imho, but I barely remember the third. I don't think it was too good.

Manifisto

Tetsuo: The Iron Man is a really bizarre artsy body horror film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShJvheZHXdI

It has two sequels. The second film is also really good imho, but I barely remember the third. I don't think it was too good.

oh god I saw this (the original) a really long time ago in an arthouse theater. it left an impression, but a mostly confused one.

Caveat (2020) (shudder) is fascinating as a purely visual object, or I guess audiovisual as the score and soundscape are as textured as the gorgeously bleak and run-down look of this film. there is certainly a plot, of a sort, although I think I will need to sit with it before deciding whether the parts gel into a satisfying whole. a man is approached to take care of an acquaintance's daughter on an island estate, with a surprising condition. the protagonist is highly unreliable on this one and the movie leans heavily on atmosphere, but I feel it gets this just right and delivers a satisfyingly spooky ride. I will say that this film had some interesting Cask of Amontillado vibes, that story is just dripping with symbolism and I feel like Caveat is going for something similar, although maybe it is just an oddly compelling muddle.

I found it interesting that more than one reviewer compared the film's tone to Possum (2018), a richly dark film I'd watched previously. so in fact I ended up rewatching Possum, also on Shudder. it's not a particularly easy watch but I feel it's pretty rewarding despite being black as coal. I don't necessarily see a close kinship to Caveat beyond a certain kind of attention to visual texture, but actually that makes for an interesting point of comparison. Possum I feel is ultimately less vague, by the end of the movie you understand pretty well what it is you've been watching. the film tracks a man's return to his english boyhood home, carrying a puppet in a satchel whose spidery form is merely hinted at for much of the film. the story has an extremely limited cast of characters, and a lot the narrative is repetitive shots of ominous locations, with elements of visceral disgust thrown in. the director has said he was trying to achieve a silent film feel (without actually being one) and that certainly helps explain some of the artistic choices. audience reviews are highly mixed on this one and I can easily understand that it's not for everyone, but I feel it has a poetry to it that counterbalances its bleakness.

ty nesamdoom!

beer pal

this weekend i watched the medium which is a thai/korean possession found footage documentary style, where the setup is that theyre doing a documentary about thai shamanism, and then one of the shaman's family members starts acting strange so the documentary changes focus. pretty good imo. the structure follows all the plot beats youd expect from a posession movie but its cool to see it from a completely different cultural context

i also watched the v/h/s 94 which is extremely grimy and gorey. not bad imo pretty fun

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

The Columnist (2021) (shudder) is a dutch import that seeks to grapple with online harassment. protagonist Femke, a newspaper columnist and mother to a teenage daughter, finds the unrelenting barrage of social media hatred and misogyny unbearable and decides to do something about it. a broadly satiric sensibility and some teasing mystery elements elevate this one above the predictable tropes of its subject matter, and I found the enigmatic final scene surprisingly satisfying. however it doesn't offer much in the way of scares or even incisive social commentary, so you're left to enjoy the modest charms of its solid performances and offbeat tone.

ty nesamdoom!