Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

That OSU-Sparty game a few years back wasn't quite enough, but mark my words, a Big Ten game will soon have enough punts to spawn a new Chaos god.

You'll have to be more specific on which 17-16 OSU-Sparty game you mean.

The 2009 Ohio State-Iowa game that decided the conference championship was close. I'll always remember Stewart Mandel's column afterwards, he was just disgusted.

Stewart Mandel posted:

For those keeping score at home, that's five straight Big Ten titles for Jim Tressel's program, seven BCS trips in eight years and a fourth straight January in which the men from Columbus will try to end the notion that they and their Midwest brethren are prehistoric dinosaurs, incapable of playing with the big boys.

Saturday's game was not a ringing endorsement.

Knowing full well Iowa's limited offensive capabilities, Tressel played things so close to his trademark sweater vest you could see the intricacies of its knitting.

maybe just a couple more passes? Preferably thrown across the first-down marker?

Ohio State took over shortly thereafter -- and made almost no attempt to go for the win.

Do you like third and 9 handoffs? Dumpoffs to the fullback? Punting? Get used to it. The Buckeyes are back in the BCS -- and unless someone else in this conference cares to rise up, they'll probably be returning for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

TheGreyGhost posted:

Joke's on him--that team beat the poo poo out of an Oregon team that they had no business beating because Pryor finally kind of figured some things out. Urban got hired and did the same poo poo with even better talent.

Jesus christ Nick Siciliano was the QB coach back then

Turns out having your entire coaching staff be peter principle guys or nepotism hires wasn't good. This is what I think sets Saban apart from everyone else, he never ends up with his idiot golfing buddy coordinating the offense.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I would love it if this was 2014 all over again but I’m still not getting too excited about Ohio State being a contender because they managed to blow out Akron, Rutgers, and Maryland.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
The only reason to bail now would be if you could still redshirt, but I think he’s past that point. I also heard he was an rear end in a top hat on that QB1 show so maybe he’s a head case.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

I'm constantly stunned that they haven't won the conference in 17 years

You’ve seen them the last 17 years right? Other than 2006 and the year the spot was good they’ve been rear end.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Ahem the year they fell to the App State is not the good year.

2007 was the App State year.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I could've sworn it was 06 damnit all. Going back into my shame corner with the cajun loss.

As one of the seven people who was able to see the inaugural Big Ten Network game I felt compelled to set the record straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
We’ve got a potential Malice at the Palace situation in Tennessee.