Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Catastrophe posted:

Wasn't it somebody from here who was just recently showing how they bought 2 steaks here in the US and it was almost $50 for them? For 2. Not at a restaurant.

I believe it. I usually get the NY strips and around here they're around $13 a pound. Even last year they hovered around 9-10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dazerbeams posted:

I was out of fermented black beans and the asian market is way too much of a hassle to get to for a last minute meal so I tried the Whole Foods hoping they would have something. They had almost NO Chinese stuff in the international section.

Thankfully I live in Whitebread Central, so the gochujang and stuff I usually get is always available at my usual grocery store (I am not going to question too hard why they even stock it lest it goes away), but the prepackaged Annie Chun stuff, specialty ramen, and candy stuff in that aisle is picked the hell over.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Jose Oquendo posted:

I believe it. I usually get the NY strips and around here they're around $13 a pound. Even last year they hovered around 9-10.

Yeah, ribeyes were $20/each at the store today

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I did shopping a couple days ago and got everything I need. I got to cherry pick a lot of items just because, wandered around almost overwhelmed by my options.

I mean, $20 for 800g of rump steak but that's about right anyway.

Oh, Brisbane Australia for reference.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Lots of stuff is missing. Everything from food to knick-nacky poo poo. Like it's not as though everything is out of stock but it's weird little things. Shipping for things have gone up a great deal and shipping from China is especially hit or miss and super expensive.

Kind of related but material prices have shot through the roof. Steel goes up every week and you can't get a hold of aluminum, especially aerospace grades like 6061 and 7075. Superalloys are difficult to get a hold of as well. Lead times are huge too. I suspect that there's some major poo poo on the horizon. China is having problems manufacturing and I get the feeling as though there's a ton of other things going on.

Edit: Edmonton, AB CA for reference.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I kinda miss those bawls energy drinks, they could still be around but I'm just chalking it up to them being non existent due to supply issues

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nice and hot piss posted:

I kinda miss those bawls energy drinks, they could still be around but I'm just chalking it up to them being non existent due to supply issues

One of the krogers near me has tons of them and they sell so little there's dust on the bottle caps. So that may be why they're there.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
The grocery store was out of caffeine pills today. All brands and generic.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

We don't have Maurchan ramen. gently caress Top Ramen, you taste like soap and this is a hill I'll die on.

The gas station has some Bawls, though.

E my coffee shop ran out of chai tea though. Sad days.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

string cheese

the store had a sign up about it and everything

hold hands at the park
Apr 12, 2008
I can't find any nice sneakers. Used to have the pick of the litter on Amazon with all kinds of classic kicks in all different colors. Now you can only find bullshit black and white modern sneakers with stupid oversized soles. That would be great if I wanted to wear a polo shirt and look like a fuckin dweeb who works IT and smells like baby wipes.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Scathach posted:

We don't have Maurchan ramen. gently caress Top Ramen, you taste like soap and this is a hill I'll die on.

go to your local asian supermarket and up your instant ramen game

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

That's interesting that you mention that because, a few days ago, I was behind a guy in line at checkout at my local grocery store and he had like 16 bundled packages of string cheese in his cart. Like a few pounds of it. I didn't even know there was that much string cheese in the store.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Mi goreng is good

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I work in a Casey's and we just can't seem to get donuts. It's really dumb because we used to make them in house, but they removed the equipment for that and switched to frozen...and now they never show up on the truck.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
My loving fish sauce, OP.

Three Crabs fish sauce. I had to loving order it online like a god damned rube.

:mad:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Were running dangerously low on cum here at the dick sucking factory :sigh:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Nooner posted:

Uh oh. This is the end for reals isn’t it

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Nooner posted:

Another shipment is on its way just give me five minutes.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Broadly what is causing all this? I knew we were missing some stuff in the UK but assumed that was because our gov is incompetent, didn't realise the USA,.. or the dick sucking factory, were also experiencing issues.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Incompetence is one factor, but I've been told there's just not enough people willing/able to do the work required. Factory jobs are tough and demanding, there's been a shortage of drivers to haul the cargo and there's a lot of people getting sick obviously. Depending on where you are and what kind of protection you have at work, you might just get straight up fired for missing a few days, and then they have to go through hiring and training someone new.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mudskipp posted:

Broadly what is causing all this? I knew we were missing some stuff in the UK but assumed that was because our gov is incompetent, didn't realise the USA,.. or the dick sucking factory, were also experiencing issues.

I think capitalism is dying

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

mudskipp posted:

whatever is causing it, you better believe using robots instead of people is going to be the answer

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sriracha sauce, since the EU banned the Huy Fong brand, which is the one I liked. Other than that I haven't noticed anything.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Happiness

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DamnCanadian posted:

I live out in the middle of nowhere and all I have without having to drive 30 minutes is a little village store. They don’t have what I need most of the time I go in. I’m not talking some esoteric gourmet item, I mean staples like milk, or butter, or eggs.

Same on the nowhere bit. But the village stores (yes plural) have everything I need, even a pretty varied beer selection. And then they also have weird items that the big stores don't. They and a bunch of other small stores have some kind of import ring going where they get various stuff from like Sweden, because I've seen lots of swedish food and brands for sale that I don't see anywhere. OLW chips are good.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
tapioca for a reasonable price.

I got nostalgic about my dad's stovetop tapicoa so I went looking for just the pearls, everywhere I went either didnt have any, or had like $14 bags of it and I did not want to pay that much for some fuckin pudding. I finally found small (perfect sized for me) bags for a couple bucks a piece at Uwajimaya snd was able to live my dreams, thank you uwajimaya

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

High quality kratom vape juice is all but gone at my local head shop so I've had to resort to making my own from leaf.

I'm planting a few kratom trees in the apartment courtyard if leaf starts to run dry. :ohdear:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Stores were totally wiped of coffee, I assume civil war is imminent

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
No shortages of anything here in Australia. Shipping from China is also the fastest it's ever been.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

mudskipp posted:

Lots of supply chain issues across the board.

Manufacturing is still having labor shortages and (at least in my experience) still having major issues with covid outbreaks taking out swaths of the employees for weeks at a time.

Transportation is the same thing, huge labor shortages and dealing with covid outbreaks still.

And a lot of industries follow just-in-time inventory ideas so they have very limited stock in order to cut down on warehousing costs. When they runs short, we get shortages until inventory can build back up. Then you get a huge backlog of orders to fill which puts more strain on transportation, which is already pushed to the limit.

I work for one of the big shipping companies and even in PA (which is pretty well vaccinated and compliant with indoor masking), one of the stations in a more conservative area has 5% of the staff out with covid right now. Down south it's a nightmare, some places are only 40% staffed right now since one person gets sick, then spreads it to 20 other people who refuse to wear masks at work or get vaccinated.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Rutibex posted:

i already did the calculation for this in another thread. i'm bookmaking this thread so that i can help everyone here

sounds about right imo

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Not sure what the situation is now but a few weeks ago the egg shelf was empty except for the $8/dozen free range stuff

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

None of the above posted:

Chicken wings in the meat section.
Plenty of chicken breasts, tons of drumsticks, but not a single packet of wing sections to be seen.

Also, ice cream that isn't some weird niche flavor.

For some reason it's thighs here that are in short supply.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

where the gently caress is the dijonnaise? Tried at least 3 different chains, nothing. Also, Cran-raspberry juice.

it's the beginning of the end...

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Jose Oquendo posted:

I buy tenderloins once in a while but the last time I went to the store they were $24.99/lb lmao.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I buy tenderloins once in a while but the last time I went to the store they were $24.99/lb lmao.

call your local deer processors and ask if they have an abandoned deer list. tell them you want tenderloin included, maybe some nice hams.

I get 2-3 abandoned deer per year usually and get venison tenderloin for $3/pound at most.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

call your local deer processors and ask if they have an abandoned deer list. tell them you want tenderloin included, maybe some nice hams.

I get 2-3 abandoned deer per year usually and get venison tenderloin for $3/pound at most.

Come Christmas it may be time to pick up an AR and borrow a helicopter to do some serious piggin’ and get those feral hog hams to market.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I haven't noticed anything being missing but then again my life does not revolve around buying things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Lactose-free milk is available about half the time
Can't find cardamom anywhere