Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

habeasdorkus posted:

e2: Also, I do recall having decent set piece routines and people who are pretty good at corners/free kicks can get you a lot of goals in the lower leagues. And throw ins, I remember an old fullback with 19 in long throws and the team scored like half a dozen times directly off throw ins.

Still true in '21! If you build your team for it (hire only gigantic centrebacks with great heading, bring them forward for every single setpiece) you can easily grab 10-15 goals a season even at the highest levels. Long throws are less powerful now - you really need the 19 in Long Throws to make it work - but they still can cause chaos in the box that you can make something out of even if it's not a clean set piece goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Obliterati posted:

Itoh cannot handle the raw power of the strikerless.
Itoh can't even handle a single pink striker. :twisted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

frankenfreak posted:

Itoh can't even handle a single pink striker. :twisted:

Why would you hurt me like this

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Charman is doing the business, which inevitably means he’s going to get his knees sledgehammered by some bookies. What will we do then?

TitusGroen fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 14, 2021

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

TitusGroen posted:

Charman is doing the business, which inevitably means he’s going to get sledgehammered by so,e bookies in the knees. What will we do then?

that's when we go strikerless.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

That doesn't sound very Deep Battle.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

:sickos:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Darlington will lead the path, Maki Itoh will follow :hai:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I know very little about football / soccer, but I love these LPs. My favorite bit is when you find hidden young players who end up becoming stars.

Go Darlington Go!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Nicky Hunt!
Nicky Hunt!
Kind of a oval office!
But he's still our...
Nicky Hunt!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
man, footy chants are awesome

the closest my favorite sport ever gets is the spontaneous declaration of "YANKEES SUCK"

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

We're basically playing a match every other day now, such is the madness of this league.

But this is our next FA cup tie, so I'm changing the front 3, Rivers, O'Neill and Maguire will get a chance to impress so our attacking cohort can focus on the league.

A solid result even if it looked worrying for about 30 minutes, Atherton played some good stuff surprisingly and 10 minutes in scored a header from a great corner. Eventually we got a hold on the game and started playing our stuff leading to Hatfield getting a goal from our own corner and then two minutes later O'Neill showed his quality when he cut inside from the right, beat three players and smashed it into the bottom corner from 30 yards out.

Maguire rounded off the game with a header from a cross by rivers after he went to the byline and dragged it back to the box.

A good performance, only one problem.

Three weeks is alot of games in this division, we should be fine for now but if a few more midfielders go down we'll be in serious trouble.

The FA cup draw is happening again, let's see who we got.

Ah, these bastards again.

York will be a real test for us, not only because Tukhachevsky may be preoccupied trying to find pagan artifacts to enact a ritual to escape Darlington but also because York are the first team that are also meant to be playoff contenders we're facing. The one upside we have is we're at home and home advantage is not to be underestimated.

Back to the usual lineup today but Reid replaces the injured hatfield and O'Neill earns a place on the bench.

A very frustrating what could of been here, Alex Storey did it again and it looked like we were just going to manage the game until a ball over the top straight to the tip toes of Olly Dyson and then right from the kickoff we give away the ball and Harry Bunn smashes one in from 18 yards out to stick the dagger into our hearts.

We were probably expected to lose but with just a bit more luck we easily could've won.

No time to dwell though because the games are coming thick and fast.

Let's see if we can't bounce back against Brackley.

We've had to do a number of tinkering changes, Storey is too tired to even start, Hunt and McMahon probably shouldn't be starting but they are, it's going to be a rough couple of weeks until we can bring in some more depth.

A miserable game deserving of its 0-0 result, the game will say we should've won it but I didn't see any decent chances, we look dead on our feet going out there. It's time to smash the big glowing journeyman button in my office.

First up is this guy, who can head a ball and play centre back and DM and CM extremely averagely, which is perfect for right now.

A long trip all the way to massachusetts to play Boston now, we're still trying to bring in some more depth signings but the national league north stops for no man.

Thacker comes straight into the side, just as a sign of how bad things really are but hopefully Hunt can get some rest for some of the bigger fixtures coming up.

Boston appear to have switched to... verdant's PSG formation????

The lads put in an absolutely heroic performance in this one, they fought all over the pitch and cleared the ball off the line 3 or 4 times, not to mention all the last minute blocks and the excellent performance by Saltmer, we got our penalty when Louis Laing was dragged down in the box at a corner and it was dispatched well by Reid, They equalised through a great strike by Thewlis but I'll take that result any day considering it was Boston Utd versus Darlington second XI.

Now we have our FA cup game so we might just get out way out of this fitness spiral just yet.

We also got this guy

I think the star ratings are pretty harsh on him, he'll be a handy signing I imagine, even if a little under the radar.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Fitting than an LP inspired by Maki Itoh would struggle to pick up wins

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

We also got this guy

I think the star ratings are pretty harsh on him, he'll be a handy signing I imagine, even if a little under the radar.

Aggressive 15? I take it back. This guy is our Roy Kent.

He's here!
He's there!
He's loving everywhere!
Olauluuuuu
Olauluuuuu

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Rarity posted:

Fitting than an LP inspired by Maki Itoh would struggle to pick up wins

Now we just need a few false dawns and it'll be perfect.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Boston appear to have switched to... verdant's PSG formation????

:sickos: the verdant special lives :sickos:

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Football Manager LPs are always cool, I'll be lurking along! Long live Alex Storey, the boogeyman of defenses all around Vanarama North.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Is that 9 yellow cards in that York game? What a slugfest.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
a healthy level of violence.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Is that 9 yellow cards in that York game? What a slugfest.

It's a game in the lower leagues in the rear end-end of England? What do you expect? At least Nicky Hunt tried to bust some legs.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Kodos666 posted:

It's a game in the lower leagues in the rear end-end of England? What do you expect? At least Nicky Hunt tried to bust some legs.

york is actually very nice.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

york is actually very nice.

Nicky Hunt!
Nicky Hunt!
Fucks Up York!
Cause They're Cunts!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Stockport may have easily beat us in that friendly but let it be known, nobody beats Darlington twice in a row by 2 or more goals!

We're starting the usual second 11 but with Odipe coming in, so here's hoping he can make the difference.

Turns out they did it pretty easily, despite "Dirty" Dan Maguire's immediate goal, Stockport cut open our youthful defense at will and scored the goals to kill us off.

No magic in today's cup but on the bright side our first 11 will be ready for our next match.

Despite my intro saying there were megabastards at the top, they do exist down here too.

AFC Fylde have flown through the lower leagues mostly in part due to their billionaire owner, they used to be "Kirkham and Wesham" but that wasn't marketable enough and so we have AFC Fylde here, they got relegated from the vanarama national last season so they'll be contending for the top of the table now.

Hopefully our first 11 can beat them because seriously, gently caress AFC Fylde.

Tony McMahon showed his quality once again by smashing in a free kick from 25 yards out. He almost did it again from 30 a few minutes later. Fylde equalised from a crazy goal line scramble that came from an effort hitting the bar and dropping down but Sousa showed his quality by nicking the ball off a Fylde player and beating 2 more to place his shot past the keeper.

Great result.

As always the games never stop so next we have Bradford and I cannot overstate this enough Park Avenue

It's suprising that we're favorites but maybe it'll turn out that Bradford (Park Avenue) are really bad at defending set pieces.

Some small rotation here, just Louis Liang coming in for Nicky Hunt and Thacker steps into midfield to give Wheatley some rest, we'll have Hatfield back soon too, which will be a big boon.

Bradford (specifically the area of park avenue) didn't really offer much in the game and so we had to break them down. We're lucky that Charman headed home 4 minutes in or we may have failed to beat them but we dominated the game at the very least and nobody got injured, so we'll take this one all the way to the bank.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

As we are a few games in, what’s the table look like?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Loving these regular updates, great game, keep it up

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

TitusGroen posted:

As we are a few games in, what’s the table look like?

York are the big outliers, everything else is terrifyingly tight.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Does the first spot get auto-promoted with 2-7 getting a playoff? If the pattern keeps up, that would certainly be fair.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wondering what comes first, Darlington winning the Champions League or Maki Itoh winning the Princess of Princess title :thunkher:

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Nailbiter! I wonder how the game models the stress of trying to keep a win-streak like York's going.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

OddObserver posted:

Does the first spot get auto-promoted with 2-7 getting a playoff? If the pattern keeps up, that would certainly be fair.

that's correct.

TitusGroen posted:

Nailbiter! I wonder how the game models the stress of trying to keep a win-streak like York's going.

I dont think it models that but it does model collapsing under the pressure of big games.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
lmao hell yes it does.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Hmm, I blame York on fellow Goon CthulhuDreams recent FM game (non-LP) where he turned them into a megabastard.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

habeasdorkus posted:

Hmm, I blame York on fellow Goon CthulhuDreams recent FM game (non-LP) where he turned them into a megabastard.

Oh? Where can I find that?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Happy Monday everyone.

Our dynamics have really really improved so far during the season, which will hopefully be a big boost as we try to sneak into the highest position possible.

Southport have been really struggling lately so we should be looking to beat them fairly easily, especially at home.

Our biggest issue is that we're still having to manage alot of people in terms of fitness and the juggling is pretty difficult but the situation is getting better for sure.

There was only one team in this game for large periods but we did struggle to break down Southport and create those killer chances, it seems that 3 at the back really makes it hard for Charman to get much done, thankfully in the 69th minute Hatfield looked up and picked his spot, which turned out to be the top bin.

Good result and especially with us rotating so heavily in these games.

Babe it's one day later, time for your next game.

I am now remembering why our schedule is so hosed and it's because the game models the insane covid scheduling that happened in 2020, so even if we don't get promoted this season it'll probably be easier to do basically anything next season.

So while we play 10 (TEN) fixtures in November, we'll be playing five or six in January and February.

As for this game, Guiseley are an average team but they're at home so we will need to play well to get a result.

Probably the game where we played the best so far, our three goals were all lovely passing moves and the goal we conceded was a ball over the top our defenders were just too slow to catch up on, no real complaints and an away win is super vital right now.

Not to mention Charman after a run of games of getting into GREAT positions and then not getting the finish, FINALLY gets a reward with a brace. Ideally he'll go on a scoring run now.

Things are looking up, we're even in second.

We should be able to keep up our momentum when we play Leamington who are completely mid table and forgettable, we're lucky to get all of these fairly easy games in a row, it should let us build a buffer for when the harder games come.

it's all coming together :sickos:

Charman has well and truly found his shooting boots and he scored a fantastic one today, Big Tony McMahon whipped a cross to the front post and Charman got ahead of his man for the tap in, later on Hatfield got on the end of a Charman cutback cross to head one in himself after arriving late in the area.

That result is obviously class but our next 3 games are versus similar or worse opposition so we're coming into form at the perfect time.

We're coming for you York! You scandinavian bastards! :argh:

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

Luke Charman doo-doo doo-doo-doo
Luke Charman doo-doo doo-doo-doo

He really is on fire! Although how he survived a game with so many yellow cards against Leamington, I don't know. Those drunk bastards were looking to hurt someone, clearly!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
That does raise a good point, how are we doing in terms of yellow cards, we cannot allow a yellow card gap.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TitusGroen posted:

Oh? Where can I find that?

Would also be interested in this

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

karmicknight posted:

That does raise a good point, how are we doing in terms of yellow cards, we cannot allow a yellow card gap.

we're getting plenty of yellow cards but the funniest statistic is that Luke Charman has the most fouls committed of any player in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

ItohRespectArmy posted:

we're getting plenty of yellow cards but the funniest statistic is that Luke Charman has the most fouls committed of any player in the league.

Charman is a prick.