Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Large Tony McMahon damaged his elbow so he'll be playing in a brace for 2 weeks

As I said previously we've got a good run of simple opposition coming up so we should be looking to continue our run, the bookies even have us at evens to beat Farsley.

Charman and Nicky Hunt are headed to the bench after reaching a match load I've never seen before.

:stare:

Well we were pretty bloody good even without them, Maguire got two good chances and slotted them away well and Wheatley got the end of a flick on from a corner and smash it into the roof of the net.

We were incredibly dominant in this game and Farsley looked like they had no idea what was going on as we kept getting the ball and relentlessly attacked.

Great result!

Hereford are probably most famous for and let me know if you're sick of hearing this one going bust and becoming a phoenix club although for a while this process was usually named after Hereford since they were one of the most famous examples of it.

They've been decent this season so this will be a real test, I'm glad I rested Charman and Hunt for this, we'll be needing them.

Gateshead who are in 3rd are playing York who are top so if Gateshead get a decent result we could actually go top with a win

:toot:

We're top of the league! (York have a game in hand)

Another example of us bossing a game from the first minute to the last Hadley cut inside from the right and smashed one into the bottom corner almost immedietly and then Thacker killed the game with his double from corners, pwhoar.

This is some run we're on and there's still four more games to play in November.

York won that game in hand so we're back to our previous situation but don't get down just yet.

Because today York are playing Gloucester who are all the way in 4th, so we might get another bit of luck just yet.

For us however, we are headed to Kidderminster

Another minnow of the league, I'm sure this one should be a stomp with the form we're in.

This one had me worried for a moment, not because of our result but the one elsewhere, York initially were leading versus Gloucester but the beautiful bastards actually turned it around and won 2-1!

Kidderminster looked down and out of it after Nicky Hunt smashed in a header from a corner, followed by Hatfield's signature of arriving late in the box with his own goal but we did have a nervy period when Amari Morgan smith hit a beautiful volley to give us something to worry about.

We held on though and now without any asterisks or conditions

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

tithin posted:

Would also be interested in this

It's not a let's play, just his own game of FM that he occasionally talks about in a discord channel.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Found the terrace's new chant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k763lHPjQuE

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

For us however, we are headed to Kidderminster

Another minnow of the league, I'm sure this one should be a stomp with the form we're in.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

ItohRespectArmy posted:

should be a stomp

:siren:

playing with fire.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

karmicknight posted:

:siren:

playing with fire.

if i didnt reference it at least once it would've been a failure of duty.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Dan Maguire continuing to be my hero, just like he was in FM '20 with Blyth.

Apropos of nothing, here's the MapGoons FM multiplayer league's first season featuring me, Itoh, Karmic and others (names in blue are players, plus Dijon who wasn't here that week):

We're in preseason for season 2 atm, plenty time for you to sneak in. Sole requirement is you know how to press the Continue button and do so like mad.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
ah, you can see on the league table the exact moment we just decided to stop scoring goals for the entire month of May. (I'm playing AS Monaco until my inevitable firing and fleeing to the balkans/brazil)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I will never stop being shook.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Perfection. Cha-Cha-Cha CHARMAN

Now we just need something for that marvelous oval office, Nicky Hunt.

Obliterati posted:

Apropos of nothing, here's the MapGoons FM multiplayer league's first season featuring me, Itoh, Karmic and others (names in blue are players, plus Dijon who wasn't here that week):

We're in preseason for season 2 atm, plenty time for you to sneak in. Sole requirement is you know how to press the Continue button and do so like mad.

Which FM are we talking?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

TitusGroen posted:

Which FM are we talking?

We're using FM '21, same as the LP.

karmicknight posted:

ah, you can see on the league table the exact moment we just decided to stop scoring goals for the entire month of May. (I'm playing AS Monaco until my inevitable firing and fleeing to the balkans/brazil)

We've been over this, you're crashing on my couch and managing my golden generation youth team

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Obliterati posted:

not shown here: adam armstrong 30 goals in a season somehow.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Lads, its Chorley

We can't really afford to underestimate them because they did beat York this season, so I'm predicting they have some pacey players who will try and abuse us.

We're mostly starting our regular 11, except for Hunt and Tony who are being rested.

Could've been a very frustrating game if not for our incredible set piece proficiency. Our forward line really didn't live up to it's usual standards and keep in mind most of campbells rating was for putting in the corner for the goal but it's important to win games where you don't play great if you're going to go up as champions.

Even more so when you consider that York :argh: also won today.

Next up is somewhat of a local derby as we host Spennymoor, who are only 17 miles away from Darlington.

I've been to Spennymoor a few times and it sure is a town in the north of England that used to have industry. As for football terms, they're a solid mid table outfit so we'll probably need a better performance than last week to get a positive result.

Our one upside if we have our entire starting 11 back fit and ready, which is exciting as November is almost mercifully over.

Well it won't do my heart any good to only win 1-0 but that's all we can manage right now, Charman got pulled down in the box as he was about to hit a shot and won the penalty and then dispatched it and that was really the only bit of quality in the whole game, eventually Maguire came on to play on the wing and ran at a defender to get him sent off, which is just funny.

Good result but we really do need to start making some none set piece chances.

We're away at Telford but it won't mean much, they're rooted to the bottom of the table and things may well be turning toxic for them. I'm going to rest our wide men for this game in the hopes they can get some rest for our upcoming fixtures since this is the final game of our eternal November.

At the last minute I decided to start Campbell and Sousa anyway and it turns out I'm a god drat genius because Sousa just scored an unbelievable goal, Campbell switched it from the left and Sousa just smashed a volley in from 22 yards, at some point I will make a gif of it, because it owned.

Campbell got his own goal later just to really prove me right to kill off the game.

Telford got their own goal eventually but the game was always in our hands to win or lose.

And with that people we have done it, we have defeated the month of November.

WE HAVE DONE IT, WE HAVE DEFEATED NOVEMBER, THE GREATEST MONTH IN FOOTBALLING HISTORY.

MARIE CURIE, CARL SAGAN, , MARK TWAIN BRUMAIRE, YOUR BOYS TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING.

Oh and we're 3 points ahead at the top of the league, York still in pursuit.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Obliterati posted:

Oh, I'm interested.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Obliterati posted:

We're using FM '21, same as the LP.

I only have FM20 :negative:

habeasdorkus posted:

It's not a let's play, just his own game of FM that he occasionally talks about in a discord channel.

What discord is this? :wiggle:

TitusGroen fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 20, 2021

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TitusGroen posted:

What discord is this? :wiggle:
The Discord for the ever enduring Super League And since is also a thread about spreadsheets I want to mention that signups are open right now - actual baseball knowledge not really required as I can tell you from my own experience.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Tis true, the Expansion Cup is being run soon. Come join us!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh, I'm interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973361

the link to the discord we play is in here, just drop a message in the #footballmanagerfarmersleague channel and we'll fill you in.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

:toot:

Pretty hard to overlook Tukhachevsky here 9 wins from 9 games will do that sort of thing.

We're probably going to be favourites for every game now or at least until our run ends but Curzon are in 16th so in theory it should be a pretty easy victory for us, even away.

Well everyone who watched this one got their money's worth for sure, Atkinson opened the scoring with a wonderful 25 yard strike, which considering he's been very quiet and solid this season without much praise is very well deserved, then Tony McMahon put a wonderful cross in for Sousa to hit a wicked volley from inside the box and then The Man Himself Nicky Hunt decided he would like to score too from a corner so he did.

Curzon in the 81st minute scored and then hit us for two a couple minutes later to make it nervy but Charman secured the points in added time with a nice header.

huh, you do not see that every day.

For the unaware a "fans trust" would mean the fans would vote and appoint the board of the team, at a certain point I planned on just editing it in but if the game did it for me that would be great.

Didn't we just play these bastards?

Ah, it's the FA Trophy, basically if you're familiar with the capital one, coca cola, carabao, milk cup in the top 4 divisions, this is the non league equivalent, I think we'll be focusing on the league mostly though, so we'll mostly be giving our second string minutes.

Yep, Telford still bad, we played some nice stuff and handed out some debuts to the quiet cover signings I've been making, O'Neill came off injured but it's a minor one, nothing too much to worry about.

Alfreton are up next and they're also going to be our next round in the FA trophy, so lucky us.

They're just another mid table side so we should probably be celebrating our run continuing.

The real joy of playing our second 11 in the FA trophy is we get another week of our full starting team, so Tony McMahon and Nicky Hunt's old bones can continue to haunt the division nevermore.

Well thank god for Luke Charman and also my own genius.

Things were looking rough but in my infinite wisdom I took off Tony McMahon and put on Michael Liddle who immediately assisted our first goal, which was a great Charman volley from the six yard box Liddle's cross was excellent for it.

Then about 10 minutes later Charman shot for his brace, hit the post and then it hit the goalkeeper and went in causing an own goal and making me do a big lmao.

Alfreton got a goal very late on to make it nervy but our defence held and we closed out the game.

See you in the cup you bastards.

Now now now this is a big one.

Gateshead are in fourth, it's a local derby AND we just played our first 11 so rotation will be needed. This should be a proper proper test of our credentials. The upside is even if we lost by 100 goals today we still can't drop below first which is the good thing about winning 13 or so games on the bounce.

But first, Maguire wants more game time. I've decided to activate Nicky Hunt in this case to have a "chat" with him to try and resolve his "issues"

yeah, that's what I thought.

oh poo poo

oh gently caress

:vince:

but we do need to play that game before we can dwell on all this.

Oh god I could kiss Luke Charman, he scored an absolute worldie today that won us the game versus Gateshead, Maguire had a few chances late on to add to the lead but he missed them so only Charman's incredible goal was the difference. We dominated the game in fairness and most importantly we're nine points clear now at the top.

oh and here's the rest of that youth intake

Obviously the golden generation part is great but having home grown fullbacks is a big deal, they're one of the most expensive positions to try and find quality in, so having solidness in them is extremely valuable.

Don't scratch your eyes, we really are playing Alfreton again.

it wasn't a pretty game but Maguire scored the important goal to put us through to the next round, just to heat up our striker competition that bit more

Alfreton are still shite, turns out.

We finish up the year playing Chester on boxing day, my personal favourite football day of the year.

Chester are deep in the relegation battle this year so unless Father Christmas has sprinkled some magic on them, it should be inevitable what the result is.

Everyone is well rested for this one having not played for about a week and a half, which for this league might as well be a month.

I just hope the players didn't all indulge in the christmas pud

This game was simply Alex Storey's wild ride, I was cursing his name when he gave away a penalty and before I could even finish the incantations he'd scored at the other end to avenge the mistake. Then Mr Inevitable himself Luke Charman found himself in the six yard box with the ball and finished cooly. Campbell killed off the game after cutting inside from the wind and beating a few players before placing it in the corner.

Happy new year, Darlington Sickos.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Ah, yes, the new year, the point of the calendar that causes the most anxiety in FM. :ohdear:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
What happens when a referee has a bad game? I don't think that one line in the match reports has changed all season.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Loxbourne posted:

What happens when a referee has a bad game? I don't think that one line in the match reports has changed all season.

Refs in the game are not infallible and can make mistakes, so if a ref has a good game it just means they didn't give away a terrible penalty or some such.

When we get to the higher leagues there will also be VAR which will also make mistakes.

If you're watching the games like me commentary will sometimes reference the referee not giving a foul or an offside looking onside, stuff like that

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Loxbourne posted:

Refs technically get match ratings just like players do, on a 0.0 > 10.0 scale. At higher levels of the game there are also match official rankings that determine what level of games one can ref, based on the ref's match ratings. Basically referees have their own secret league, so in the event of a bad game the ref's ranking just drops a bit.

At this level it's nearly meaningless, iirc

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Oh and we're 3 points ahead at the top of the league, York still in pursuit.

Top of the table, ma! Get wrecked, you bellends! And godbless Luke Charman.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA CHARMAN :hai:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

To a layman, this feels like Dwarf Fortress, but with sports

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It is Dwarf Fortress but with sports.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Holy crap, how many wins in a row was that? It's gotta be some kind of record.

Also, can't wait to see the youth intake!

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
How many seasons to go until we are in league football?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Tiger Crazy posted:

How many seasons to go until we are in league football?

A minimum of one more if we're promoted this season.

Mokotow posted:

To a layman, this feels like Dwarf Fortress, but with sports

Yes.

PotatoManJack posted:

Holy crap, how many wins in a row was that? It's gotta be some kind of record.

we're at 17 currently in the league, 19 if you count cups.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

basically every player we have is up for renewal, I immediately offered contracts to Nicky Hunt and Luke Charman because either of them leaving on a bosman would be a disaster but the rest, we'll look at the budget at the end of the season.

womp womp

it won't affect us for a while, but look forward to going lmao when it does.

it's blyth again but they're in poor form and we're doing amazing, not to mention our entire team is fit and feeling good.

oh and people in thread were talking about the winning run, yes it does appear to be a record we're about to shatter any day now.

player of the month? choose your favourite position and then write darlington lads.

Tukhachevsky adds to his list of medals, too.

Ah, I see we're back to creating loads of chances and only scoring from corners.

The goal we conceded was really poor, Saltmar came from a ball from a free kick and didn't reach it and so it was an easy goal for Blyth, let's just hope it doesn't knock confidence too much.

that's good at least, Charman and Nicky hunt are now locked down for a while.

oh, well alright then.

Another top of the table clash here with us facing Gloucester who should be an interesting test after our weird Blyth result.

Another frustrating game to say the least as we just don't take our chances. This is pretty typical for this level though, players blow very hot or very cold and sometimes you just don't have the quality.

Still at least it's not a loss.

Alright next up is Kettering who are a bang average midtable side to be generous. Let's hope we can actually score some goals today.

well thank god for Nicky Hunt and Tony McMahon.

I have to thank Kettering too, for helping me realise what has been happening these games.

It's January which means the AI had adjusted its ratings of every team to where they actually are and due to my excellent form and run they have put me firmly in megabastard mode. So I've been trying to counter attack and play direct behind the defence versus packed defences sitting back.

Oops!

Proof that even a genius such as myself is capable of making mistakes, truly.

Good win though.

Next up is the FA Trophy, where we'll be playing Chippenham who play in the national league south :argh:

We'll still be starting our second 11, if only to keep Nicky Hunt fresh and ready to score all of our future goals.

Well I'm proud to announce we found the goals lads, despite going 2-0 to two very poor goals we rallied behind 18 year old Ethan Hartshorn who channelled his inner Frank Lampard and smashed one in from 25 yards out, Sean Reid then equalised after a lovely bit of play from Maguire to play him 1 on 1 on goal.

Maguire himself then slipped in behind the defence for his own goal completing the turnaround.

And then Hartshorn and Holmes smashed in 2 more 20+ yard screamers just to put the knife into Chippenham.

Cracking result.

Next up is Brackley again, they're still mid table but we really need to find a way to break down teams that are sitting deep, I hope we figure it out today.

There's a certain sixth sense you will develop watching alot of football and I knew what was going to happen in this game after a certain point, Charman misses a sitter, then Campbell does, then Sousa misses his own.

Then we miss some free headers at corners and then the game is getting nervy, only 10 minutes left.

And then the ball falls to Wes York on the edge of the area and he finds the one bit of quality in the game and we lose.

Which also means...

:sigh:

The good thing about football is that there's always another game to make things right.

We need to wake up if we're going to beat Boston. Our points gap is shrinking every single time we fail to win so we NEED a result here or some major changes will need to be made.

Crisis? What Crisis?

Once again we find ourselves praying at the altar of Charman as he scores and assists the winner to end our dire run of games.

Fylde also got pumped so once again the table looks like this

We're just slightly past halfway through the season, so there is still a long way to go but if we can just maintain our form a little bit more we can run off with this league and start thinking about how we're gona get out of the national league itself.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We loving jinxed it lads

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Rarity posted:

We loving jinxed it lads

we did not do the proper rituals.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
quickly, close to desktop and than delete the map cache.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

Cha-Cha-Cha-Cha Charman

Where did these Fylde blokes come from?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Well this should be an interesting one.

York of course are one of the two teams that managed to beat us so far this season but they've been on a bad run lately and have fallen to third behind Fylde but they still have plenty of quality for us to worry about.

Football, bloody hell.

I was pretty sure we had this game wrapped up when we scored 2 quickfire goals right at the start but we switched off and allowed them back into the game.

Maguire's goal probably should've been the winner but York struck back again so it's a very entertaining draw.

The own goal was a Charman chip that hit the crossbar and then hit a defender by the way.

Notts county are the oldest professional club in the world, they actually predate the english FA itself, which is mental.

Oh and Juventus originally started out as a Notts County tribute act, hence the similar kits.

If we win this, we'll be in the quarter finals.

Almost everyone played terrible, except for Saltmer and Hunt and so we won on penalties.

Que sera sera?

The bad news is though Rivers, our main backup winger broke his toe, so he'll be out for almost the entire rest of the season.

we're headed to southport next and I really hope we play better than we did against notts county, because loving hell.

we'll actually be starting Maguire today, because Charman is knackered, which I'm sure will bring obliterati much joy.

Finally, some good football.

We scored two cracking goals, gave up a stupid penalty but we won, which is all that matters right now.

We did almost throw away the game at the end but the southport forward did his best Middlesbrough striker impression and missed an open goal after going past the keeper in a 1v1.

It's these bastards again and they've managed to climb up to second.

So time for more Fylde anecdotes, did you know they've had the year 2022 on their shirts for several years? That was the date their megalomaniac owner thought they'd reach the football league, including this year.

It won't take the most sharp eyes among you to notice that if they're playing in this league in 2021 then it's actually impossible for them to be in the football league by 2022.

Also shout out to Hartlepool who two years after almost going bust managed to return to the football league without the bankrolling of a multi millionaire.

It's incredible what you can do when you actually have a fanbase, eh?

God what a frustrating game, we had multiple would be goals cleared off the line or smash into the woodwork and we gave up two poor goals just to stick the knife in.

Still, got a 5 point gap on Fylde, atleast.

Pretty tight though, here's hoping we can recapture that form we had during our winning run.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

we'll actually be starting Maguire today, because Charman is knackered, which I'm sure will bring obliterati much joy.

:sickos:

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Are you able to build statues in the game to commemorate players?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
STRIKERLESS
STRIKERLESS
STRIKERLESS

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Tiger Crazy posted:

not yet, sadly but stadiums can be named after players/managers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tiger Crazy posted:

One thing I miss from the Anstoss/On The Ball series is developing the land around your stadium. You could build concessions, fan shops, training facilites and even your own airport as well as decorations. One of those was a massive statue of the chairman which gave you a huge boost to job security when built.