Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

you posted:

That’s not a van!

I know. I’m sorry. But now that I’m here…

I got a new bike. It’s good. The last year of the air cooled single sided swingarm monsters. 796 instead of 1100 because I am a tiny baby who is afraid of power. Anyway, it’s a good bike with a single glaring and VERY BAD fault.

The headlight is not round.

Goodbye bad headlight. The mounting brackets are very nice.

Hello morally correct and good round headlight.

It lights up when you lean over. It’s so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The 800 is the better of the two anyway

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

The 800 is the better of the two anyway

The only thing I wanted the 1100 for was the dry clutch. Just because I’ve never ridden one and it’s the Ducati thing. The clutch on this bike is fine. Pull is a little difficult compared to dirt bikes and a clake 2 but there are worse problems to have.

Really in terms of issues with the bike:
1. Have to grip the tank with your legs or your balls get squished.
2. Shockingly, as an air cooled twin it’s hot in stopped traffic. Otherwise it’s fine but it gets warm at a stop and I imagine that feels worse in the summer.
3. Clutch pull is hard. I’ll probably look into this because the PO was garbage.
4. The immobilizer slowly drains the battery. It’s fine with a new battery so far but I’ve been riding it every couple days at least so we’ll see when we hit winter. I may either add in a battery disconnect switch or buy a solar charger and hope nobody steals it in the winter.

I have some thoughts on handling but I’d like to ride it a bit more before feeling too confident on those.

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!

builds character posted:

4. The immobilizer slowly drains the battery. It’s fine with a new battery so far but I’ve been riding it every couple days at least so we’ll see when we hit winter. I may either add in a battery disconnect switch or buy a solar charger and hope nobody steals it in the winter.

I have some thoughts on handling but I’d like to ride it a bit more before feeling too confident on those.

Would it be possible to mount a solar panel to the roof of the van, run wires through the roof or sides, and trickle charge the bike's batteries while they're stored in the back of said van? The roof should be high enough to deter most sticky-fingered crackheads as it would be effectively out of sight.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Lincoln Freak posted:

Would it be possible to mount a solar panel to the roof of the van, run wires through the roof or sides, and trickle charge the bike's batteries while they're stored in the back of said van? The roof should be high enough to deter most sticky-fingered crackheads as it would be effectively out of sight.

That was my thought as well. Center it on the van roof and it should be 90% invisible. Run the wiring through a grommet and some silicone for waterproofing. Build some little harnesses for easy plugging and it'd be a nice little setup.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

builds character posted:

The only thing I wanted the 1100 for was the dry clutch. Just because I’ve never ridden one and it’s the Ducati thing. The clutch on this bike is fine. Pull is a little difficult compared to dirt bikes and a clake 2 but there are worse problems to have.

There's an aftermarket solution for the clutch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KooABbX0lQA

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lincoln Freak posted:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That was my thought as well. Center it on the van roof and it should be 90% invisible. Run the wiring through a grommet and some silicone for waterproofing. Build some little harnesses for easy plugging and it'd be a nice little setup.

Great idea, and I've considered adding solar panels but that's a ways away. I could just mount one of those little solar chargers on the dash and run the wiring back to the garage. But... the monster doesn't live in the van, that was just for transport. Now it lives outside. I bought a new earthx battery and it's great and I'm trying to ride it regularly to make sure it's charged and not because I love it.

Deeters posted:

There's an aftermarket solution for the clutch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KooABbX0lQA

I laughed but, you know... like a half sad laugh.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
What is the yellow ring and wire on the brake lever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

joat mon posted:

What is the yellow ring and wire on the brake lever?

It's attached to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csa01fsnCQE and hooks up to there so that I don't forget I have a disc lock on and promptly endo onto my head.