Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Because I know you're going to get lost and wonder where to go, and it's something the game doesn't ever point out to you, this isn't game spoiler, just map ui stuff, don't click if you want to get lost the whole time :v:

If you go to the in-game map and zoom in, you can see the various kind of obstacles more clearly.

You can even go over them and highlight them with the Y button and then zoom out to see the other instances of those obstacles. So those motion sensor doors you were looking for? If you'd highlighted them, you'd have seen the other one on the right edge of the map right away.

You can also set markers like you did in Hollow Knight, but I'm not sure that's actually worth it when you can just highlight those icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Not only are the windows insanely short, there's variants in the animation speed and delays that it's not consistent to predict.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Not only are the windows insanely short, there's variants in the animation speed and delays that it's not consistent to predict.

I think that is perfectly fine, it is working as intended.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
yeah, if you get by on a lucky one its a good feeling

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In the end they had to combine "way to keep you engaged on failure" with "don't make getting out of the failure an expected part of gameplay." Make it too easy and people just tank the Emmi.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Speedrunners will eventually turn it into a joke if the animation has literally any tells so it's fine. It's going to be a lot like Alien Isolation. (Which isn't that odd on account of basically being Metroid Isolation right now.)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I know on an intellectual level that Nat20 can’t reasonably expect to metaphorically crack the game over his knee by wall jumping absolutely everywhere

but I respect that he still tries it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I also think he misunderstood how Phantom Cloak Works.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

So with Aeion Energy, it's a thing that comes up and is explained wordlessly in Metroid Samus Returns, but you can pretty much infer its functions and importance with what is presented in its bonus material and the power ups unique to that game.

bladeworksmaster fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 23, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
"But wall jumps are really easy in Super Metroid"

Said no one else on Earth, ever.

SIGSEGV posted:

Speedrunners will eventually turn it into a joke if the animation has literally any tells so it's fine. It's going to be a lot like Alien Isolation. (Which isn't that odd on account of basically being Metroid Isolation right now.)

If they keep to the pattern of previous Metroid games, they'll watch a speedrun after finishing this playthrough. I look forward to seeing what they think of how speedrunners deal with the EMMIs.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Bremen posted:

"But wall jumps are really easy in Super Metroid"

Said no one else on Earth, ever.

Depends if you played it with a keyboard instead of a controller. I found wall jumps to be far easier than infinite bomb jumping in Super, when using keyboard, since I could change direction faster with two fingers than with a thumb. In fact, I would say they were, "really easy". :v:

Finding where to bind diagonal aiming buttons as well as everything else in Super was not quite so fun on keyboard, however. Meanwhile Fusion and Zero mission working on the reduced Gameboy Advance button amounts worked like a charm even on keyboard.

Such is the life of a child with parents who believe consoles are a waste of time, and doesn't develop the motor skills needed for platformers on controllers.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

100% agree on it being easier to change directions more quickly on keyboard for that reason, but I never got the timing for wall jumps down in super metroid. I always ended up pressing the other direction at the wrong time, drifting away from the wall and missing the jump.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Just because you have the morph ball now, don't forget about ZL to get through gaps! If you're not moving it's an instant morph, as opposed to tapping down twice. You also automatically switch to the morph ball if your slide ends and you're in a tunnel.

also you don't need to be moving to slide, just holding a direction, so you don't need to run away from walls and then run back to slide under

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
no, there's no tell for countering the emmi. it's entirely luck, and you're intentionally not supposed to be able to do it reliably. it's just a last ditch thing to make you feel cool if you accidentally pull it off.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I dunno, my impression is that there's something of a timing to it on the first flash at least. I've hit it maybe about ten times in my playthrough. Maybe I'm just luckier than average.

Glad to see you got those lava missiles Nat, I missed them when I got here due to a shortage of health and it's awkward as gently caress to go back for them.

One thing to note regarding secrets, if shooting charge beams doesn't work, try shooting missiles, they'll reveal hidden blocks even if they need something other than missiles to break them. Don't be stingy about using missiles! Remember your SOUL philosophy from Hollow Knight: if you're at full missiles, you are wasting missile drops.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I am slightly worried by the Varia Suit only protecting from heat, magma I can understand, but not protecting from cold is another, I wouldn't normally worry too much, but the suit category only has a single slot, still, I guess they override each other.

I was drat sure it would come from a boss too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

I am slightly worried by the Varia Suit only protecting from heat, magma I can understand, but not protecting from cold is another, I wouldn't normally worry too much, but the suit category only has a single slot, still, I guess they override each other.

Slots in this game are a bit odd, upgrades like beams overwrite the old ones instead of taking up more space.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SIGSEGV posted:

Samus is now a third metroid or something from her experiences in fusion, she is super vulnerable to cold, she will need a better suit for ice zones.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I know, but the Varia Suit was enough in Fusion. I guess it was just split here.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, this episode just rained upgrades on Samus.

I think it's pretty clear that the yellow EMMI has the speed boost. There are speed boost blocks in the area around the EMMI zone, and the EMMI itself was shown to be abnormally fast during the cutscene.

The audio is not quite in sync, which kinda ruins the surprise sometimes when Nat says "yeah!" or something, before we can see that whatever he tries actually works.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think these might not be so much 'new era' Chozo so much as 'old era' Chozo. Chozo who didn't get with the program about becoming enlightened mystical ascetics, and are in possession of the full technology that the Chozo empire had at its height. Which is moderately terrifying.
All the stuff still works because they've been maintaining it instead of letting it crumble into aesthetically-pleasing ruins. And that powersuit-factory you went through might even have been reactivated recently.

Do Chozo build stasis pods? Might the Big Bird we ran into at the beginning be someone who got frozen during an era when the Chozo were imperialistic conquerers, and has recently woken up and decided to start poo poo?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Epicmissingno posted:

Just because you have the morph ball now, don't forget about ZL to get through gaps! If you're not moving it's an instant morph, as opposed to tapping down twice. You also automatically switch to the morph ball if your slide ends and you're in a tunnel.

also you don't need to be moving to slide, just holding a direction, so you don't need to run away from walls and then run back to slide under
You can also instant morph ball in mid-air with ZL which is quite smooth sometimes, and necessary (?) for some puzzles

Reveilled posted:

I dunno, my impression is that there's something of a timing to it on the first flash at least. I've hit it maybe about ten times in my playthrough. Maybe I'm just luckier than average.

Glad to see you got those lava missiles Nat, I missed them when I got here due to a shortage of health and it's awkward as gently caress to go back for them.

One thing to note regarding secrets, if shooting charge beams doesn't work, try shooting missiles, they'll reveal hidden blocks even if they need something other than missiles to break them. Don't be stingy about using missiles! Remember your SOUL philosophy from Hollow Knight: if you're at full missiles, you are wasting missile drops.
1) Maybe but you still have to predict it

2) I'm currently doing a hard mode "speed" run and I wanted to get those asap as well (they're on the way and it's 10 at once!), but was almost out of health lol. Had to farm a tiiiny bit, hopefully still worth it

3) yeah this. Don't forget that missiles reveal blocks, shooting really only works for blocks that get destroyed by it (the white ones). Also missiles are THE best damage option for most of the game, maybe there's stretches were a new beam upgrade is best for a while but idk. missiles all the way imo

Bruceski posted:

Slots in this game are a bit odd, upgrades like beams overwrite the old ones instead of taking up more space.
I think that's sensible, there's no reason to take off a beam like in Super, and why have the whole list if the beams just add up? Not like the future beams won't be wide, for example. Like the rest of the game, it's just sleek and clean.

EDIT: just realized that gear upgrades don't give %, meaning that a 0% run should be possible unless there's an upgrade straight in the way like in Fusion?

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 26, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

EDIT: just realized that gear upgrades don't give %, meaning that a 0% run should be possible unless there's an upgrade straight in the way like in Fusion?

Yep, it's been done.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Epicmissingno posted:

As a spoiler.

I forget to do this for a good hour and a half.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

As a spoiler.

We expect nothing else :)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Stealth experience I've watched so far.
"the EMMI can hear you"
*explosions* "what?" *more explosions* "right so I need to be stealthy!" *loud armor clanking noises* "Oh poo poo it found me!" *dies*

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Torrannor posted:

Wow, this episode just rained upgrades on Samus.

I think it's pretty clear that the yellow EMMI has the speed boost. There are speed boost blocks in the area around the EMMI zone, and the EMMI itself was shown to be abnormally fast during the cutscene.

The audio is not quite in sync, which kinda ruins the surprise sometimes when Nat says "yeah!" or something, before we can see that whatever he tries actually works.

Apologies by the way! This happens sometimes because my audio cue for the start of the recording is slightly off with when I actually push the recording button. It'll resolve with the next session.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

As a spoiler.

I actually didn't know this. Thanks, thread!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
"Is it like the Wave Beam? or the Plasma Beam?!"
"It's the Dark Beam...no it's the Light Beam."

All wrong. It's the Diffusion Beam from Other M. :v:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
That simultaneous cry of "oh come on!" was a thing of beauty :allears:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Natural 20 posted:

I will aim up over my dead body. If jump fire was good enough for Fusion it's good enough for this.

When I saw this post my first thought was "Oh boy, the Kraid fight is going to be fun."

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

That simultaneous cry of "oh come on!" was a thing of beauty :allears:

Samus' reactions in this game are excellent, and really do go a long way toward making up for the damage done in Other M. I'm not sure this game as a whole is retconning it out of existence, but it makes enough nods in that direction that I can't help interpreting as "yes, we know what we did, we're fixing it now". (Whether this means Sakamoto learned his lesson, or just bowed to the desires of the fanbase for the sake of capitalism, I can't say, but I'm also not sure I care. Samus is Samus again!)

(Can't say I'm a fan of the weird hyperfeminine sexy walk they have her do in places though, I don't understand why they had to do that.)

Poor Kraid, though. The fight's great but I can't help feeling a bit sorry for him here.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
It's even worse if you do the bomb skip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ2WGL_q7bI

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gotta love Samus simply relaxing and charging the cannon when she recognizes Kraid. "Hey old buddy, how is it going"
It also doubles as tutorial showing the player to go for the eyes mouth.

E: no really, such a breath of fresh air. She dealt with this guy almost as much as Ridley, she knows how this battle goes down.
Like, the only way for this to be more on the nose as Other M opposite, the cutscene would have had child Samus with a "gently caress him up" banner.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 28, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Omobono posted:

Gotta love Samus simply relaxing and charging the cannon when she recognizes Kraid. "Hey old buddy, how is it going"

Samus is just completely unimpressed by Kraid at this point in her career, especially one that is restrained. Same energy when she dodges his last stomach spike - it's so effortless for her she almost looks bored doing it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

It also doubles as tutorial showing the player to go for the eyes mouth.

I think every boss cutscene focuses on the weak point, though some can be difficult to recognize (like the first boss when it zooms in on the gap under him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I think every boss cutscene focuses on the weak point, though some can be difficult to recognize (like the first boss when it zooms in on the gap under him).

Wasn't that the boss where you had to repeatedly slide under it?