Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The Kraid fight is so loving good. I love how it expects you to mix up all of your techniques. The basic way to damage him is missile spam, which opens his mouth and deals the most damage, that requires the free aim. If you keep angling the shots correctly, you can just missile his claws and keep shooting, which also replenishes your missiles, so you'll probably never run out. You can KEEP damaging him while he regurgitates stuff (the mouth is open after all), it's just harder - but it's better to replenish even more missiles here, but it's not just a matter of free-aiming again, because you can't shoot the fireballs, so this is now a part that demands mobility while you're shooting. Because you just got the triple beam, it's not that hard to aim correctly.

Then, in the second phase, suddenly the best course of action is the charge beam, as it pierces his gribblies and deals damage on the side, but it's better to use missiles when he does the purple flame attack. Finally, the spider grip is used to get up to the damage spot, missiles against claws returns like in the first phase, and you get a melee counter to deal massive damage and allow yourself to stay up there, allowing only your skill to dictate if you have to do the bellybutton part more than once.

And overall, once you've learned how to apply all of those techniques, the fight is over in less than a minute. Absolute masterclass in boss design imo.

skaianDestiny posted:

It's even worse if you do the bomb skip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ2WGL_q7bI
holy poo poo they programmed that in?! I immediately want to replay the game to find these kind of things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love the Kraid fight. You gotta start learning what the game wants you to learn to beat him. The first phase is mostly a test about if you can balance free aiming and moving, but the second has three separate, unique ways you can beat his rear end. You can climb the spikes, classic Metroid style, you can shoot him in the gut with charge shots until the thing comes down, or you can show off your obsessive exploration and/or sequence-breaking prowess and bomb his stomachanus and skip the phase entirely. The swipe being parryable but the straight punch not just makes it even better.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

holy poo poo they programmed that in?! I immediately want to replay the game to find these kind of things!

Yeah, there's a lot of "sequence breaks" that are actually intentional and they designed around them to actually give you little bonuses for them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Lone Badger posted:

Wasn't that the boss where you had to repeatedly slide under it?

Yeah, spotting the gap was the intention, but a lot of folks spot that the butt just above there looks fleshy and weakpoint-ish and try shooting that instead.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fun fact: if you do the sequence breaks to get Bombs before Kraid, you can also pick up Flash Shift early as well. It helps with Kraid’s fireballs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Samus Aran: part human, part chozo, part metroid, part X, part blink dog...

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

This is the moment I was waiting for, when the game explicitly calls the space jump out as an upgrade :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Watching LPs of this are giving me chances to see things that I didn't notice while playing.

Or at least didn't notice immediately. Like the boss that had the cloaking device had a big chozo statue in the background but that jerk ate it before you got there.

The chozo must have learned since while the first one was in a boss arena sized room this one is in a room too small to fit a boss so you can walk right in and grab it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im only like halfway through the new ep: you can jump with the speed boost, you dont need to shinespark (in fact, there's lots of puzzles that require it)

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im only like halfway through the new ep: you can jump with the speed boost, you dont need to shinespark (in fact, there's lots of puzzles that require it)

Yeah the speed booster is WAY more versatile in Dread than ever before, even though you're left to learn this yourself.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gotta say, I'm impressed by Nat semi-consistently* managing to counter the EMMIs; then he gets caught again five seconds later.
It really does seem the best approach to EMMIs is to plan the route and then haul rear end as fast as possible, or simply RUN reactively if a route is unknown.
(Of course this EMMI has the speed booster so the strategy has problems)

*he pulled two counters by now, not counting the tutorial one

Marluxia posted:

This is the moment I was waiting for, when the game explicitly calls the space jump out as an upgrade :allears:

Let's Slay > Two Decades In The Making - Space Jump Lamentation Station

Bruceski posted:

Samus Aran: part human, part chozo, part metroid, part X, part blink dog...

All badass.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Nat forgot you can duck as Samus. Makes killing those guys that shoot at angles super easy.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Samus gets Fox Mccloud's dash ability from Smash Melee.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

SugarAddict posted:

Samus gets Fox Mccloud's dash ability from Smash Melee.
, part fox,

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I was so sure that statue was going to be a boss when I saw it in the thumbnail.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Same, but what I'm thinking now is that they'll show us a few more and then, later on when we've just got used to them being set dressing, that one will turn out to be a boss fight.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I hated the Yellow E.M.M.I. so goddamn much. I don't think any of the other ones gave me nearly as much trouble as that one did.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

One of these days Nat will remember that you can shoot missiles at things other than enemies.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
The Speed Booster and Shinespark are so good in this game. I cannot overstate this fact to anyone who hasn't experienced it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
it seems like the talking is very VERY out of sync with the rest of the video.

Ok. after watching though the video it seems like it's not out of sync?

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 2, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zurai posted:

One of these days Nat will remember that you can shoot missiles at things other than enemies.

Like the game said at the start.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ahh overthinking a speed booster puzzle.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ahh overthinking a speed booster puzzle.

Looks like it mostly comes from not knowing the new controls for it, which are hella smoother. Like jumping, wall jumps, slides, and morph ball transitions keeping the speed boost.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Zurai posted:

It's kinda driving me crazy that Nat is just shooting at everything with the beam, when that isn't gonna reveal poo poo beside beam blocks, ngl

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

On the other hand, Nat is the EMMI counter whisperer, that was insane.

He's just hitting the counter button at random times and that's the actual best strategy, isn't he?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Adam mentioned the space jump in yellow text, so that's basically confirmed to be in the game, too? Combined with the apparent grapple beam points, Samus has quite a lot of mobility in this game. I appreciate that the flash shift will likely not be completely obsoleted by the space jump.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Marluxia posted:

It's kinda driving me crazy that Nat is just shooting at everything with the beam, when that isn't gonna reveal poo poo beside beam blocks, ngl

In my defense, I instantly forgot that missiles revealed things that the beam didn't.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

W.T. Fits posted:

I hated the Yellow E.M.M.I. so goddamn much. I don't think any of the other ones gave me nearly as much trouble as that one did.
It's quite difficult, but it teaches you something very important: that sometimes, you gotta find a good "arena" to fight an EMMI in.

skaianDestiny posted:

Looks like it mostly comes from not knowing the new controls for it, which are hella smoother. Like jumping, wall jumps, slides, and morph ball transitions keeping the speed boost.
yeah it's insanely good, but previous Metroid knowledge (as in "that never worked, why would it!!!") has led me to look up "speedbooster tricks" videos for some of the stuff you gotta do. Also relevant info for example: you can activate the Shinespark in mid-air by pressing attack + jump at the same time. Afaict the game never tells you that.

Torrannor posted:

Adam mentioned the space jump in yellow text, so that's basically confirmed to be in the game, too? Combined with the apparent grapple beam points, Samus has quite a lot of mobility in this game. I appreciate that the flash shift will likely not be completely obsoleted by the space jump.
Flash Shift is insanely good for combat

Natural 20 posted:

In my defense, I instantly forgot that missiles revealed things that the beam didn't.
how is that a defense lmao

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

how is that a defense lmao

I actually find it understandable. Nat's going through the game at a pace and timing that's almost painfully slow, taking weeks to get where some people got to by dinnertime of release day. Forgetting smaller new things like "Missiles reveal blocks" isn't surprising. What is surprising is that stuff like that doesn't happen more often.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Simply Simon posted:

Flash Shift is insanely good even for traversal.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

The only issue I have with flash shift in combat is it doesn't give i-frames. I know honestly it doesnt make sense for being able to ignore a wall of damage just because you're moving really fast, but it just seems to break some unspoken rule of dodge abilities.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

FeyerbrandX posted:

The only issue I have with flash shift in combat is it doesn't give i-frames. I know honestly it doesnt make sense for being able to ignore a wall of damage just because you're moving really fast, but it just seems to break some unspoken rule of dodge abilities.

Think of it more like a Megaman X dash. Plus if it did have i-frames than the recharge timer on it would have had to have been drastically increased to try and balance it.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's cool you can Shinepark even when in the Morph Ball form. Makes me wonder if there's any cool beam tricks like in Super, or the Crystal Flash. Was there anything like that in Fusion? It'd make sense lorewise if there wasn't what with being so damaged from the X infection that even her Power Suit didn't survive all the way, but gameplay wise it would be something of a letdown.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If you want to figure out "how do I solve this" for shinespark puzzles without looking up full answers there are a couple of new tricks this game has that are worth knowing. I'll mention that people have found alternate methods for a lot of them depending on personal skillset, in "you can build up speed above the item or below, then figure out how to get that where it needs to be" style.

Note that none of this is mandatory for game completion, just 100%
--To be clear, building up speed still needs a flat straightway.
--Once you're moving at block-breaking speed, you keep it when walljumping or sliding. This can easily be misunderstood; I don't mean storing a shinespark and moving around while purple, I mean that you can sonic pinball your way off a wall and keep running the other direction. Sliding into a tunnel will have you roll at speed and automatically unmorph when you come out the other side.

Basically, movement is extremely fluid and if you know what's ahead you can do some absurd things.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

If you want to figure out "how do I solve this" for shinespark puzzles without looking up full answers there are a couple of new tricks this game has that are worth knowing. I'll mention that people have found alternate methods for a lot of them depending on personal skillset, in "you can build up speed above the item or below, then figure out how to get that where it needs to be" style.

Note that none of this is mandatory for game completion, just 100%
--To be clear, building up speed still needs a flat straightway.
--Once you're moving at block-breaking speed, you keep it when walljumping or sliding. This can easily be misunderstood; I don't mean storing a shinespark and moving around while purple, I mean that you can sonic pinball your way off a wall and keep running the other direction. Sliding into a tunnel will have you roll at speed and automatically unmorph when you come out the other side.

Basically, movement is extremely fluid and if you know what's ahead you can do some absurd things.

What's nice about this is it was so fluid that I noticed a few times when hauling rear end and hopping that speed was maintained, but in those instances I was actually planning on stopping at or near where I landed so I never really noticed. It took like, 5 videos and multiple rewatches to get that the game expected you to do that for a few items. Another nice thing about the game I noticed is that there's a ton of +2 missile tanks, theres one or two +10 on the main path to keep you competitive if you're not going out of your way, but most fiendish puzzles are the +10 prizes

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

They really seem to pile the abilities on in this game. Maybe it is just me not being good at Metroid, but I don't remember accumulating this much this fast before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Gnoman posted:

They really seem to pile the abilities on in this game. Maybe it is just me not being good at Metroid, but I don't remember accumulating this much this fast before.

I agree with this, the pacing of major upgrades in this game felt really fast to me, it felt like it didn't give a lot of time to appreciate them properly before the next one came along.

There's also the phenomenon Mark Brown observed (video contains full game spoilers, Nat don't look): where the game keeps pushing you toward progress, by funnelling you with one-way paths and putting the places you need to use upgrades very close to where you get them through the use of well-placed teleporters. It's interesting, because in some ways this is really good design for the pacing and keeps you feeling like you're on the right track, but on another it feels a bit like being spoon-fed.