Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
There's another way to make Escue easier involving sequence breaking, but I'll wait to talk about this until we actually see the item in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've never really had a problem with space jumping before but I think that it's kinda lovely you can only double/space jump from a spinning jump and if you jump straight up, you can't do it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Gotta say I think you're 100% right about the controls for this game. I had the exact same difficulties with the double jump and the missiles, particularly in combat, and I really don't see the value in making the double jump unusable on a standing jump or on the upswing, or in making free-aimed missiles require a three button combo to use when it forms the main source of your damage any time you're fighting something more challenging than the weakest chump. When you're not dealing with this poo poo the controls are really good, but these two sops to tradition really drag down how responsive the controls feel, at least for me.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Ah, this point in the game... it's one of the more "relying on you to remember where you couldn't go before" parts...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That thumbnail and title fill me with equal parts joy and... dread.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Oh right, this part. The only real hint you get for this was given by Adam a while ago, and the game counts on you to remember it. (The hint: You can explore waterlogged areas better once you get the Grapple Beam and Space Jump.)

Also, the twin robots are awful on the first playthrough. I recall taking just as many deaths the first time too.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 20, 2021

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I feel like if the game let you space jump at any point in your jump arc everyone would end up spamming the button so they jump again as fast as possible and it would feel even worse.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Epicmissingno posted:

I feel like if the game let you space jump at any point in your jump arc everyone would end up spamming the button so they jump again as fast as possible and it would feel even worse.

It would also probably function way worse as people would be jumping in two foot increments and would take longer to actually get where they want to go as a result.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Twin Robots are super easy if Storm Missiles are used on them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nat, Stop getting into a panic,

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah, this game is definitely Some Dexterity Required with all the button combinations. I particularly wish the Speed Booster was automatic, like in Fusion.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
my only real complaints are that 1) too many movement options are bound to the same stuff, in particular everything to do with the shinespark, and 2) they don't let you free aim with the right stick while still moving with the left stick, which is a full on design decision rather than 'i don't like this control layout'

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

How would free aiming on the right stick while moving with the left work exactly? You wouldn't be able to press the fire button which would defeat the purpose of free aiming, unless you want to do some weird crab claw thing and press Y with your index finger. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

Personally I feel the only two real problems with Dread's controls are not allowing you to double/space jump from a standing jump, and not giving the option to make missiles and the grapple beam a press to swap instead of a hold to swap.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Twelve by Pies posted:

How would free aiming on the right stick while moving with the left work exactly? You wouldn't be able to press the fire button which would defeat the purpose of free aiming, unless you want to do some weird crab claw thing and press Y with your index finger. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

I guess if you didn't need to use L to free-aim, you could move fire from Y to L.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I guess but even then you still wouldn't be able to jump while free aiming and firing, so you wouldn't be able to actively run and gun in boss fights even with free aim on the stick anyway. Given that I don't really see what the problem with free aim not letting you move is.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
You can free aim in Dread without holding L just fine. It's a little awkward because you don't have the targeting laser but it's possible; in fact, I'm sure almost everyone who's played the game has done it a little by accident. Ever tried to activate a wide beam door or box while you're holding towards it and it's only hit one or two of the buttons? That's because the aim is slightly up or down due to free aim.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
All of the "it would be way better if they did the controls like [x], it's an easy swap" arguments I've seen are invalid because they invariably fail to take into account at least three things that would have to be reworked immediately following that change. You could of course work from there and make everything different but in the end, that would only change where you put your fingers. The controls are optimal imo.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Twin Robots are super easy if Storm Missiles are used on them.
I died a bunch to them until I decided to try the upgrade I just got and was blown away by how good the Storm Missiles actually are. Curse Echoes for having a useless multi-missile upgrade and muddying the waters

(I take it back, I love Echoes, but Seekers suuuuck)

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Simply Simon posted:

Seekers weren't necessarily bad, missiles were just underpowered in the face of the alignment beams, so charging 5 missiles onto a target takes longer than a couple charge shots to achieve the same damage.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Simply Simon posted:

All of the "it would be way better if they did the controls like [x], it's an easy swap" arguments I've seen are invalid because they invariably fail to take into account at least three things that would have to be reworked immediately following that change. You could of course work from there and make everything different but in the end, that would only change where you put your fingers. The controls are optimal imo.

I died a bunch to them until I decided to try the upgrade I just got and was blown away by how good the Storm Missiles actually are. Curse Echoes for having a useless multi-missile upgrade and muddying the waters

Forgive me, but there is absolutely nothing that would need to be reworked if missiles fired from the R button and charged the same way the beam does on Y.

I can accept the double jump and space jump are conceits I will never accept as fine where the vast majority of people love them as they are, but there is absolutely no reason for the toggle to require R charge + Y.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Natural 20 posted:

Forgive me, but there is absolutely nothing that would need to be reworked if missiles fired from the R button and charged the same way the beam does on Y.

I can accept the double jump and space jump are conceits I will never accept as fine where the vast majority of people love them as they are, but there is absolutely no reason for the toggle to require R charge + Y.

You don't need Y though?

Edit: Oh for using normal missiles. Ehh different strokes it does not bother me to hold down a button.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

The Storm Missile charge actually reminds me a lot of how Devil May Cry players tend to use charge shots on the trigger, particularly Nero's Blue Rose charge shots which are immensely useful parts of his kit. So no, I actually don't have any problem with Storm Missile charge being hold R+Y when ready.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

pointlessone posted:

Seekers weren't necessarily bad, missiles were just underpowered in the face of the alignment beams, so charging 5 missiles onto a target takes longer than a couple charge shots to achieve the same damage.

Seekers were great for hitting the tentacles on the final(ish) boss in Echoes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Natural 20 posted:

That's true actually, I didn't consider this. The one thing you would lose with a dedicated R-as-fire-button is that you couldn't cancel Storm Missiles charges by just letting go of R - which might be useful to save missiles if you locked onto the wrong targets, or onto a boss while it's invulnerable.

Two things made me reconsider my "now it's fine actually" stance:
a) R as the missile toggle* was such a big innovation in Fusion, and a huge upgrade to the awkward as hell Select button in Super, that I didn't consider there might be an even better way
b) Mega Man Zero, a series I adore, has an incredibly stupid default control setting - buster on a face button (B for GBA, Y for DS/Switch) and hold R+B/Y for sword. First thing I do in any Zero game is immediately switch the controls to buster on B, sword on R, which incidentally also enables you to charge both separately, making it objectively better

I think for Dread, they wanted to keep the intuitive elegance of having fire ALWAYS be on Y (missiles AND grapple AND bomb upgrades being a toggle/charge on R), sacrificing a little bit of finger convenience. That's also why the EMMI kill move fires on Y after having to hold R to charge.

*it's not even a toggle - that would imply that you have to press it once to turn missiles on and then press it again to turn them off

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
If nothing else, give Mercury Steam the props they deserve for making god-tier Gravity Suits.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

TaurusOxford posted:

If nothing else, give Mercury Steam the props they deserve for making god-tier Gravity Suits.

God they make purple look GOOD. Two of my absolute favorite suit designs in the entire series hands down.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Ah yes, the Purple Suit. With the obvious exception of Fusion, I never had any problems with how it looked in any of the games; purple is an amazing color when done right. And with that in mind, I'm still saying that Dread's iteration is easily my favorite.

I can't quite remember if this is also true in previous games, but in Dread the acquisition of the Gravity Suit marks the point of the game where progression and difficulty have their brakes cut -- they start ramping up and don't really stop.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

That's true actually, I didn't consider this. The one thing you would lose with a dedicated R-as-fire-button is that you couldn't cancel Storm Missiles charges by just letting go of R - which might be useful to save missiles if you locked onto the wrong targets, or onto a boss while it's invulnerable.

Two things made me reconsider my "now it's fine actually" stance:
a) R as the missile toggle* was such a big innovation in Fusion, and a huge upgrade to the awkward as hell Select button in Super, that I didn't consider there might be an even better way
b) Mega Man Zero, a series I adore, has an incredibly stupid default control setting - buster on a face button (B for GBA, Y for DS/Switch) and hold R+B/Y for sword. First thing I do in any Zero game is immediately switch the controls to buster on B, sword on R, which incidentally also enables you to charge both separately, making it objectively better

I think for Dread, they wanted to keep the intuitive elegance of having fire ALWAYS be on Y (missiles AND grapple AND bomb upgrades being a toggle/charge on R), sacrificing a little bit of finger convenience. That's also why the EMMI kill move fires on Y after having to hold R to charge.

*it's not even a toggle - that would imply that you have to press it once to turn missiles on and then press it again to turn them off

being absolutely honest I feel like mashing R to fire missiles would get uncomfortable really quick. Especially on the joycons.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Should we tell him melee countering that boss destroyed the shield he hated so much?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Bremen posted:

Should we tell him melee countering that boss destroyed the shield he hated so much?

I'm for making him feel some pain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't get how people can keep missing the big white flash. It's not subtle .

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
A lot of my issues around reacting to boss mechanics come from my problems with the controls, which are obviously an intensely personal issue.

So much of my mental stack is on just trying to execute what I want to do that my process for dealing with a flash isn't fast enough to react to it.

You'll see most of the time my reaction to a melee flash is to jump because I know where the jump button is and it's what I go to when I see something that surprises me.

You can contrast how well I fight bosses in this game relative to Hollow Knight where I could usually adapt to any fight in half a minute or so because execution was second nature to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah it's a personal thing. I for one like Space Jumps Rhythm for example.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
another episode just filled with complaints about the controls. im bowing out of this.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Also yeah, I'll make a point not to talk about controls in the videos any more. I imagine it's absolutely maddening to hear that complaint on repeat.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Also yeah, I'll make a point not to talk about controls in the videos any more. I imagine it's absolutely maddening to hear that complaint on repeat.

I don't mind it, It is the sweet sound of suffering.

Also when you do solve one of the puzzles and go "I am so gooood at videos games" also great.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Natural 20 posted:

It's a bit :psyduck: after you played Hollow Knight like a Stradivari seeing you struggle with the concept of hitting jump at the right time.

But yeah, the space jump lamentation station delivered and risks getting stale now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Omobono posted:

It's a bit :psyduck: after you played Hollow Knight like a Stradivari seeing you struggle with the concept of hitting jump at the right time.

But yeah, the space jump lamentation station delivered and risks getting stale now.

If nothing else it's been a great lesson in how personalized control preferences can be. Space jump feels natural to me but I've been playing Metroid games for like three quarters of my life at this point.