Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I dunno, my impression is that there's something of a timing to it on the first flash at least. I've hit it maybe about ten times in my playthrough. Maybe I'm just luckier than average.

Glad to see you got those lava missiles Nat, I missed them when I got here due to a shortage of health and it's awkward as gently caress to go back for them.

One thing to note regarding secrets, if shooting charge beams doesn't work, try shooting missiles, they'll reveal hidden blocks even if they need something other than missiles to break them. Don't be stingy about using missiles! Remember your SOUL philosophy from Hollow Knight: if you're at full missiles, you are wasting missile drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Gotta say I think you're 100% right about the controls for this game. I had the exact same difficulties with the double jump and the missiles, particularly in combat, and I really don't see the value in making the double jump unusable on a standing jump or on the upswing, or in making free-aimed missiles require a three button combo to use when it forms the main source of your damage any time you're fighting something more challenging than the weakest chump. When you're not dealing with this poo poo the controls are really good, but these two sops to tradition really drag down how responsive the controls feel, at least for me.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Twelve by Pies posted:

How would free aiming on the right stick while moving with the left work exactly? You wouldn't be able to press the fire button which would defeat the purpose of free aiming, unless you want to do some weird crab claw thing and press Y with your index finger. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

I guess if you didn't need to use L to free-aim, you could move fire from Y to L.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
My guess would be the EMMI was too close to the ledge, so when you slide under it and stood up on the other side, you hadn't fully cleared the EMMI, putting you inside it, and then the game kills you as a failsafe since it can't generate an animation?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fedule posted:

Girl... is a metroid?

Honestly I love this Adam twist. I love how humble of a thing it is. It barely matters in the greater scheme of things, it has almost nothing to do with The Plot (which itself isn't that complicated even if it is a little weirdly delivered in a handful of lore dumps that can be a little overwhelming) but it's here all the same, and the whole game is written around it, and it's just this thing for the nerds who've been waiting 20 years for this and obsessed over every detail and watched every four hour youtube retrospective essay to piece together to pick up on. It's hidden directly under your nose, the game's been hinting at it from the opening minutes of play, it's completely fair, and it involves my favourite writing gambit ever: disguising important story details as bad writing to stop people noticing it.

Maybe it's cause I haven't played a Metroid since Super or it's because I'm a big dumb idiot, but until someone mentioned it in the Games thread I didn't realise at all that it was supposed to have been Raven Beak all along. I thought he was just pretending to be Adam here in the cutscene, and all the other times you were talking to real Adam.