Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pharohman777 posted:

I wonder if Samus Aran is part of the effort by the Chozo to 'tidy up' after themselves. Shes dealt with a bunch of problems the Chozo left behind unresolved as they vanished, from mother brain, to the sealed leviathan seed on tallon IV, to the Metroids and X parasites. Given how strong their seers are, its not unreasonable.

"The seers say to leave that missile pack there. No, other side of the crumbling blocks. That way there's a chance the Hunter will miss them and die to the next obstacle. Weeds out unsatisfactory timelines."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

judging by how this LP is going, im going to guess nat is going to take more tries on the first real boss than all the hollow knight bosses combined

That was the first real boss.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

In the end they had to combine "way to keep you engaged on failure" with "don't make getting out of the failure an expected part of gameplay." Make it too easy and people just tank the Emmi.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

I am slightly worried by the Varia Suit only protecting from heat, magma I can understand, but not protecting from cold is another, I wouldn't normally worry too much, but the suit category only has a single slot, still, I guess they override each other.

I was drat sure it would come from a boss too.

Slots in this game are a bit odd, upgrades like beams overwrite the old ones instead of taking up more space.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

EDIT: just realized that gear upgrades don't give %, meaning that a 0% run should be possible unless there's an upgrade straight in the way like in Fusion?

Yep, it's been done.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

It also doubles as tutorial showing the player to go for the eyes mouth.

I think every boss cutscene focuses on the weak point, though some can be difficult to recognize (like the first boss when it zooms in on the gap under him).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Wasn't that the boss where you had to repeatedly slide under it?

Yeah, spotting the gap was the intention, but a lot of folks spot that the butt just above there looks fleshy and weakpoint-ish and try shooting that instead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Samus Aran: part human, part chozo, part metroid, part X, part blink dog...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If you want to figure out "how do I solve this" for shinespark puzzles without looking up full answers there are a couple of new tricks this game has that are worth knowing. I'll mention that people have found alternate methods for a lot of them depending on personal skillset, in "you can build up speed above the item or below, then figure out how to get that where it needs to be" style.

Note that none of this is mandatory for game completion, just 100%
--To be clear, building up speed still needs a flat straightway.
--Once you're moving at block-breaking speed, you keep it when walljumping or sliding. This can easily be misunderstood; I don't mean storing a shinespark and moving around while purple, I mean that you can sonic pinball your way off a wall and keep running the other direction. Sliding into a tunnel will have you roll at speed and automatically unmorph when you come out the other side.

Basically, movement is extremely fluid and if you know what's ahead you can do some absurd things.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FeyerbrandX posted:

I tried that method a bunch of times, even charging the shinespark, dropping down to bomb, hopping back up to burn the shinespark on the incline and restore it, but just couldn't get in the right spot to smash them.

The intended method that I did end up falling into doing took many tries to do but drat if it isn't satisfying becoming incredibly agile death.

Yeah, figuring out how to not anticipate the walljump (hitting back too soon cancels the run) while then readjusting afterward to not cancel the run can be tricky. Feels great when you get it. And everyone used to old speedbooster gets their mind blown looking at it, that particular one's perfect for showing the tricks off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Golux posted:

You don't have to hit back to walljump, just be spinjumping near a wall!

Yeah, but if you're not pingponging immediately you need to hit back afterward to keep the speedboost. It's a bit weird.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well done on collecting that 10-pack, I personally found that one of the trickiest in the game in terms of execution. I agree that forcing yourself to keep your hand completely off the L-stick is the hard part of air-sparks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Obligatory snark: it's nice that the Castlevania Collection includes a never before seen game like Circle of the Moon.

Because of the backlight, or rather the lack thereof in the GBA.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Alternatively, you can also just run into that cold room right next to the missiles and charge a shinespark from there if you want the easy path.

Or from below, which is how I did it. I really like the flexibility in a lot of those puzzles according to personal preference. It means that as long as you have some understanding of the toolbox some of the puzzles are less "how do you do this" and more "how I did it."

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 6, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

Other M Samus: "I don't breathe without Adam's authorization"

Dread Samus: "Don't worry, bird dad I just met, I got this"

I'm exaggerating Other M but gently caress yeah THIS is how Samus should be on the job.

The body language as well. She's had sharp reactions before, but when she whips around to point at Quiet Robe you can feel the panic in a way that doesn't actually make her action sloppy. And then she relaxes. Every time a silent protagonist is done well people re-emphasize that no voice doesn't mean no personality, and that's really apparent in this game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Combining this with the Chozo Memories from Samus Returns I think the timeline is:

--Thoha arrive on SR388, need to deal with X, create Metroids.
--Control over more evolved Metroids seems to be worse, and under attack they begin to evacuate, sealing the planet in stasis gel as they do so.
--They rendezvous with the Mawkin on the surface, thinking them rescuers. Raven Beak kills most of them.
--Raven Beak starts trying to get through the stasis gel, we have to assume it was Thoha(and Samus)-specific locks and for some reason he didn't drag Quiet Robe down there. Maybe QR was back at the other planet building Metroid cages or something.
--Some X happens, gets back to the other planet.
--Raven Beak fixes it by sheer awesomeness, but by that time Samus has drained the stasis gel and killed everything under it.
--Plan B(ait) is formed.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 7, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gratz, you beat Sporquatic Spawn, the boringest boss in the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

They were in the initial cutscene and Quiet Robe just told Samus that Raven Beak contained them somehow.
I think the game will show new players what exactly happens when containment breaks.

From a mechanics perspective, I noticed that until now enemy drops were automatically attracted to Samus, but now she has to actively hunt her snacks.

They still get sucked in from about the same range.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

I seem to remember standard powerups flying in from across the screen. Whereas the snacking range is about two Samuses?

True, it's weird. Sometimes they come flying in from a mile away, other times I seem to easily leave them behind by running away from them while five feet from where they dropped. I was instinctively gauging by that minimal distance.

There's some sort of X gravity well, but their tendency to move around makes it trickier to know exactly what.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I love the killshots on those guys.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nebrilos posted:

Actually, why did Quiet Robe-X reactivate the Emmys? My first thought was that Quiet Robe-X would know everything that Quiet Robe knew, so it would know that Samus is part metroid and is the greatest threat to X and that the Emmys are trying to kill Samus, so reactivating them makes sense. But it would also know that the Emmys are trying to harvest the metroid DNA from Samus, presumably to clone more metroids, so reactivating them seems like a bad idea.

Given it mimicking QR's last words, my read on it was copying his actions without intent. We've seen that the X are intelligent in SAX from Fusion, but I figure they'd still be groggy after just taking someone over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

16:00 -- Doable, yes. Unintended, no. It's one of the intentional skips in the game to get out into a much later area. Well done.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Donno if you recognized our old pal Z-57, last we saw it was in the laboratory section getting zapped by probes. Before it got X-ed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

...what?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Golux posted:

I know that traditionally the wave beam came before the plasma beam, but I definitely feel that the way level design has evolved it makes more sense for shooting through walls to be a bigger deal than shooting through multiple enemies. Especially with the high amount of beam-interactable things in walls that the wave beam allows to be done in the reverse direction.

It fits the design. In other games it's usually a big room full of enemies so plasma clears those out. And this game has those as well (super missiles give splash damage when you're dealing with the swarms of flies, for example) but has a lot more walls getting in the way. So they're keys to different obstacles and the design supports putting the one you don't have in the way.

Heck, in Dread I don't think I ever care about Plasma piercing enemies, I care about it damaging metal enemies without a charge.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"My daughter, I was the source of your DNA."
"So were at least six other things and they were all better parents than you. Including the X."

Bremen posted:

On Adam, I always found him calling you "Lady" super jarring, so I got pretty suspicious when he suddenly switched to calling you Samus.

Also the general tone. "This is all part of Raven Beak's brilliant plan. He's so cool and powerful and sexy, even at your best you're nothing compared to him."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Or you can do what I did, reload my save and avoid dropping the power bomb.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FeyerbrandX posted:

The twist did actually seemed pretty well done. I think I had suspicions after the second "You can't beat the glorious genius of Raven Beak the Great" speech from "Adam" but the first one was blunt "you just got 1/10th of your abilities back and 3 energy tanks, you are not able to hurt the guy who took a super missile to the face and merely cracked his mask." seemed reasonable.

Now that we see that Raven Beak's behind the whole setup between the startand now, I personally think that Raven Beak just hosed with the Varia suit's config files when you got it before Kraid to deactivate cold defense so Samus had to follow his intended route. Someone in the dread thread had another idea that Samus's Metroid DNA progressed far enough that the Varia suit was no longer enough to defend her.

I think where I started noticing something was off was when the X got involved. You let them out of E-zone, "Raven Beak must have some reason for releasing them." They damage the forge and start freezing the planet, "Raven Beak is trying to keep you from a power up you need." Those incidents are what cement him in my mind as a control freak who insists it's all according to plan even when it's not (though at the time I just thought Adam had a microchip loose or something). I believe "make her fight her way to the surface and see if the stress will activate her DNA", but I don't think he planned Quiet Robe X turning the bots back on or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The last Metroid is out of captivity. The galaxy is at peace.