Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I will also be back for this once I finish the game myself.

Echoing the happy birthdays!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zurai posted:

I swear one of them spent a good 25% of their total playtime just filling in the map.
Don't doxx me.

Marluxia posted:

drat, I didn't expect you to successfully pull off a counter on an E.M.M.I so soon.
My first playthrough, I pulled it off once in my first hour and then never again.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 14, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rosalie_A posted:

Some general combat tips that might be helpful and not immediately intuitive. I'm putting these in a spoiler block in case you'd rather not read them now, but they're here if you feel you want them:

-Missiles are your primary damage dealers. Regular beam shots are for small fry, charge beam is for backup when you run out of missiles or for jumping through weak enemies.

-No, seriously, I do mean primary. This isn't like Super or Fusion where depending on your point in the game the Charge Beam is as good or better than missiles. You get oodles of tanks and oodles of pickups: shoot missiles like crazy.

-Stuff hurts in this game. You're not expected to facetank damage like you can in other games. You're expected to dodge or parry everything accordingly, with energy just being your margin for screwing up with that.

-Accordingly, the more obvious an attack, the more damage it will deal as punishment for ignoring the windup. Put another way, some enemies will jab, and some enemies will Falcon Punch. The second one will hurt like hell, to a far larger degree than other Metroid games. (For example, Mother Brain's hand beams in Super do 100 damage while the far harder to dodge mouth rings do 20 damage. It's a much more vicious ratio in Dread, with a higher baseline too.)

-Aiming can seem kind of strange. You can freely aim, but you stop when doing so, right? Not quite. You can basically always freely aim while on the ground and jumping. Free aim just stops you from moving (and removes the autocorrection for around ten degrees off the horizontal in case you don't have Monkey Ball-honed precision for keeping an analog stick perfectly straight). Use Free Aim when you need complete precision or you're fine with not moving.

-In short, keep moving and don't stop shooting. Enemies in this game can feel like hard hitting bullet sponges, but that's because you're meant to constantly be doing both.

-I'm serious. Use missiles. You'll be surprised how rarely you'll run out.

-no really i'm not joking on the missiles thing

TL;DR: Use missiles way more often than you think you should. No, even more often than that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is a lot of spoilers, we should probably stop.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Auntie Brain sounds like an Addams Family character.

Blaziken386 posted:

this lp has been fun to watch, but as someone who's beaten it multiple times in the name of speedrunning attempts, there are multiple times in this video where i'm just like "no!! what are you doing!! aaaaa!!!!"
God, yes. Especially going right past the spider grip door and Nat's adamant refusal to use L-to-aim.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

David Jaffe (the God of War director) showed his entire rear end by getting stuck on stream and needing a watcher’s help, then made a video later calling the game a sacred cow with poo poo design…

Because he couldn’t find the shootable ceiling in the first area.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zero Mission is still my recommended entry into the series for new players, and not even because of where it fits in the timeline (though that does make it an easier sell). It’s just a very good game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, getting comfortable with l-aim is mandatory by midgame, at the latest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love the Kraid fight. You gotta start learning what the game wants you to learn to beat him. The first phase is mostly a test about if you can balance free aiming and moving, but the second has three separate, unique ways you can beat his rear end. You can climb the spikes, classic Metroid style, you can shoot him in the gut with charge shots until the thing comes down, or you can show off your obsessive exploration and/or sequence-breaking prowess and bomb his stomachanus and skip the phase entirely. The swipe being parryable but the straight punch not just makes it even better.