Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Girl... is a metroid?

Honestly I love this Adam twist. I love how humble of a thing it is. It barely matters in the greater scheme of things, it has almost nothing to do with The Plot (which itself isn't that complicated even if it is a little weirdly delivered in a handful of lore dumps that can be a little overwhelming) but it's here all the same, and the whole game is written around it, and it's just this thing for the nerds who've been waiting 20 years for this and obsessed over every detail and watched every four hour youtube retrospective essay to piece together to pick up on. It's hidden directly under your nose, the game's been hinting at it from the opening minutes of play, it's completely fair, and it involves my favourite writing gambit ever: disguising important story details as bad writing to stop people noticing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Dread is a goddamn masterclass in characterisation of a non-speaking character with (usually) no visible face entirely through tiny snippets of body animation. It's notable that the one time she speaks is probably the most boring of her many little moments of expression in the game, it's just the most generic poo poo, and tells us nothing we hadn't already figured out. Meanwhile, every single little cutscene where she encounters a boss speaks volumes through pose, demeanor and timing.

I've almost come around to the opinion that Other M was worth it because it shamed Sakamoto into having to do this to apologise for it. Almost.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Right I mean I don't think it's boring, just that it's the most boring of her expressions.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm fresh off a Hard Mode clear myself, and notably; it's really extremely similar to Normal Mode. It's like, nothing meaningfully changes except you can take half as many hits, but the boss design is always pushing you to the point where it's never that much harder to perfectly clear them than it is to clear them at all. So yeah if you eat a Big Laser you'll lose three or four entire tanks, but you're not any more likely to eat that laser than you are in Normal.

I never knew you could counter his lunge. But I did know that a power bomb will instantly destroy his fireball bullshit and give you a bunch of ammo, probably including a power bomb.