Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Happy Birthday and Happy Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Having finished the video, I am already very very confused, but also interested.

It looks like the E.M.M.Is are going to be puzzle bosses encountered throughout the game that you are going to have to get past to get to a temporary buff to be able to kill them?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Hollow Knight has improved Nats parry skills at least.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Not only are the windows insanely short, there's variants in the animation speed and delays that it's not consistent to predict.

I think that is perfectly fine, it is working as intended.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

I am slightly worried by the Varia Suit only protecting from heat, magma I can understand, but not protecting from cold is another, I wouldn't normally worry too much, but the suit category only has a single slot, still, I guess they override each other.

I was drat sure it would come from a boss too.

Samus is now a third metroid or something from her experiences in fusion, she is super vulnerable to cold, she will need a better suit for ice zones.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Any way that works is the right way, Metroid Dread gives you options.

And Nat is pretty good at video games

:argh: STOP PANICING THOUGH.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Quackles posted:

Just as well that you passed up on that missile tank. That's not a Shinespark puzzle.

You CAN do it with a shinespark,... note the CAN

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Also to think about is that after Raven Beak decides to leave just one nerd alive to corral the metroids, it turns out EVERY SINGLE ONE of his underlings got infected by an X-Parasite, and Raven Beak then without Metroid powers mind you, stops and contains them. Which would also explain the state of the facility, there are two whole Chozo left in the place trying to keep the lights on

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Also for how he handled it. He does have a huge gently caress off energy cannon on his arm, There is probably an upper limit to what the X-parasite can withstand

And Quiet Robe even stated "He's smarter and more violent than the rest of his kin.

However think about this. If all he wanted was Metroid DNA, he... lasered Samus in the face and had her half-dead in front of him, and he left her, he's plotting some bullshit.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well assuming she dies. I think Raven Beak or an EMMI could just walk over to her corpse and extract the DNA.

Well if Samus is mutating (as metroids are prone to do when blasted with ridiculous radiation, and who has a ridiculous laser cannon on their arm? Raven Beak) And Raven Beak wants super weapons, he is going to wait and see what she turns into, THEN kill her for real.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Pretty sure chozo could turn into balls, or basically be turned into an energy state or something as the suit turns into a ball? I mean if I could turn myself into an armored death ball, I would

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Samus might not have a big enough gun, but maybe that custom arm cannon Raven Beak has outputs enough juice to fry an X.

Also for why Raven Beak let out the X? Probably LITERALLY so they would infect Quiet Robe's corpse and turn the EMMI back on. Quiet Robe probably cut Raven Beak out of the control loops so he couldn't do it himself. And it isn't like there is anyone but Raven Beak left in his faction so he doesn't have to be concerned about an X getting to any of his allies, since he has nobody but robots left.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

Actually, why did Quiet Robe-X reactivate the Emmys? My first thought was that Quiet Robe-X would know everything that Quiet Robe knew, so it would know that Samus is part metroid and is the greatest threat to X and that the Emmys are trying to kill Samus, so reactivating them makes sense. But it would also know that the Emmys are trying to harvest the metroid DNA from Samus, presumably to clone more metroids, so reactivating them seems like a bad idea.

They can turn the Emmi back off when Samus is dead,

Raven Beak probably feels he is bad rear end enough to make his way down to the EMMI and grab the DNA at that point then scamper off the planet while blowing it up to finish off the X

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Omobono posted:

I mean, he punked Samus so hard her powerups popped out like she was a blue hedgehog, the arrogance is not without some basis.

Although he should have just killed her instead of whatever harebrained plan he concocted. You come at the queen you better not miss.

At the moment, Raven Beak probably doesn't feel like he did miss.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nat, Stop getting into a panic,

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Bremen posted:

Should we tell him melee countering that boss destroyed the shield he hated so much?

I'm for making him feel some pain.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Also yeah, I'll make a point not to talk about controls in the videos any more. I imagine it's absolutely maddening to hear that complaint on repeat.

I don't mind it, It is the sweet sound of suffering.

Also when you do solve one of the puzzles and go "I am so gooood at videos games" also great.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Its actually an energy drain attack, you can tell by how its pulling energy down its limbs, and you got teasers from those other big enemies in the past.

Nat shot out its arms on the successful run before it could start draining.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Omobono posted:

That's just mean.

Although that's a good showing of that ability during the four tentacles phase. It's a sort of beam from the mouth that creates an explosion after some painting time.

So that core X that dissolved into lava might have carried power bomb, some sort of beam upgrade, or an unknown powerup not appearing in this game (because it just got melted)

Also apparently even X cannot survive magma, which might be a bit of a reveal on how Raven Beak contained the outbreak, He might have flooded parts of the complex to drive the X into Elun

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

It is conveniently built for doing that isn't it?

Raven Beak is the king of a warrior tribe of the Chozo and even Quiet Robe (a member of the scientific caste) stated Raven Beak is extremely intelligent. I would not be surprised if the Mawkin tribe had set things up like that as a defensive measure.

Also potentially if the lava does that, that means there is an upper limit to an X parasites durability when exposed to high energy reactions and well Raven beak has a huge laser cannon on his arm.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Well at least Raven Beak is honest about his intentions

Also he is an idiot,

he should have just killed Samus when she was unconscious and salvaged what he could.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Omobono posted:

Was the closeup on Samus' face at the end a direct reference to the equivalent scene in Fusion? There was no surprise this time around, I'd say she knew she wasn't dealing with the real Adam from the first communication node.

I think this his greed blowing up in his face.
He had Samus, he had her Metroid magic DNA*, but it would have taken some time to breed the new babies metroids, so he decided that letting the Queen live was a good idea.

*obligatory Morbo voice: "genetics do not work that way"

"Where were you when Ridley killed my human parents or my bird parents"

I mean on the Ridley bit, Raven Beak might have been very busy punching X and shoving them into a box in Elun at the time Ridley did the murder bit on the bird parents.

Also if he contributed to Samus's chozo DNA mix as well as the Thoha he might have been looking into as many super weapons as he could possibly find if for no other reason than he could

or well being asked to contribute his DNA to enhancing this poor human Waif so she can kill space pirates probably stroked his ego so he might have just done it for no other reason than arrogance. "OF COURSE THEY WOULD ASK FOR MY SUPERIOR WARRIOR DNA FOR THIS"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Raven Beak used that beam at the bottom of Artaria as well. But yeah he was probably hooked up TO THE ENTIRE PLANET. Also probably his suit is NOT partially organic, and thus why the X did nothing to him while he cooked them and canned them. probably shoved Quiet Robe into a locker to keep him alive or something since he still needed him at that time.

Also one last thing to point out, Samus claws him in the crack she made back in his suit in the opening cutscene. IF Raven Beak had fixed that crack in his armor, he would have won because his suit's exterior is metroid and X proof.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 4, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did Raven Beak turn himself into a load-bearing boss? And how many planets has Samus blown up now?

I mean in this case, Samus did crash Raven Beaks Chozo Space Fortress into the planet, I am fairly certain that there were probably hilariously powerful explosives on that ship by default

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

Thinking about it more now, do we know if Raven Beak was definitely only beaten by his cool battle damage? Samus drained a robot and at the end Adam was afraid that just touching a control panel would kill her ship.

Maybe when Samus was only trying to reenact G Gundam it would have worked, but when she went full Berserker Mode? Probably not. Worst case she probably would have clawed at the red LEDs for his eyes rather than through a crack in the armor.

Raven Beak had definitely shielded his suit against energy drain, and he was holding her even in metroid form without any ill effects until that claw ripped his helmet off. You can see it with the EMMI, she doesn't drain its energy until it exposes the spike, the EMMI's outer plating is probably resistant to energy drain.

The control panel is obviously not shielded because it reacts to Samus's touch and transmits both ways, easy energy drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Metroids can stretch anyway, she long range clawed his face

I am still in the camp that regardless of blowing off his helmet with the punch, it would not have worked without that super missile damage from the initial scrap.