Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

So with Aeion Energy, it's a thing that comes up and is explained wordlessly in Metroid Samus Returns, but you can pretty much infer its functions and importance with what is presented in its bonus material and the power ups unique to that game.

bladeworksmaster fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Explopyro posted:

This is something that really bothers me, especially because I think it's actually some kind of animation error in this specific cutscene. If you look at Samus throughout the rest of the game, including in other cutscenes, she does have plating covering that area (and it isn't flesh-coloured either).

Something's really off here (honestly, it might even just be an issue with the models, it kind of looks like she's clipping through the suit?) and I find it incredibly distracting, which is unfortunate during such an important scene.

It's the lighting engine for this scene/area specifically that's the culprit. The way it shines on the neck part of the armor makes it look like there's no armor there, because the sun is blazing through the windows in the background.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Aw yeah, the X get an HD appearance in the series, and they really don't waste the opportunity in making them look every bit as terrifying as you'd imagine them to be.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Shitenshi posted:

With the X coming back and Fusion stuff, was it ever explained why the Power Suit looks like it's old self again at the beginning of this one, as opposed to the distinctly palette swapped mutated appearance at the end of Fusion?

In interview materials leading up to release, it's said that the Power Suit is gradually regenerating the armor that was surgically removed around the more fleshy looking suit post-Fusion.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

And now we have my favorite power up in the game, the Storm Missiles! How can you not love a charge up barrage to use that massive stockpile of missiles you've built up all at once? The fact it hits like a freight train only adds to the fun.

As for your argument on missiles being on another fire button, I disagree. The way it is now is perfect for how the 2D series is suited, and an alt fire works much better for Prime than it does for Dread.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

The Storm Missile charge actually reminds me a lot of how Devil May Cry players tend to use charge shots on the trigger, particularly Nero's Blue Rose charge shots which are immensely useful parts of his kit. So no, I actually don't have any problem with Storm Missile charge being hold R+Y when ready.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

TaurusOxford posted:

If nothing else, give Mercury Steam the props they deserve for making god-tier Gravity Suits.

God they make purple look GOOD. Two of my absolute favorite suit designs in the entire series hands down.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Fedule posted:

Dread is a goddamn masterclass in characterisation of a non-speaking character with (usually) no visible face entirely through tiny snippets of body animation. It's notable that the one time she speaks is probably the most boring of her many little moments of expression in the game, it's just the most generic poo poo, and tells us nothing we hadn't already figured out. Meanwhile, every single little cutscene where she encounters a boss speaks volumes through pose, demeanor and timing.

I've almost come around to the opinion that Other M was worth it because it shamed Sakamoto into having to do this to apologise for it. Almost.

I utterly disagree with the read on her one voiced line. The fact that she used words in this one instance, the language of the race that saved her as the lone survivor of her home planet, to Quiet Robe is a huge display of compassion and acknowledgement that she trusts his word. And that, to me, is an integral part of Samus Aran, space badass, that she has that compassionate side of herself despite all of the heavy ordinance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Nebrilos posted:

At the end of the Raven Beak bossfight, there is a cutscene where he grabs Samus by the neck and holds her in the air. She tries to grab his head, but can't reach, because his arm is too long. Later on in the cutscene (after all of the screaming) she tries to grab his head again and succeeds? Why is she suddenly able to reach his head?

A. Because her Metroid DNA is kicking her strength into overdrive.
B. Raven Beak loosed his grip even a little bit thinking she was out.
C. Rather than reaching limply, she did an entire swing of her body to give herself momentum to claw into him.

You can see in their scuffle that Raven Beak still has a grip on her even as he's being drained, but Samus at this point is full on pissed off and getting stronger with each passing second feeding off not only him but his entire drat ship.