Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Flash shifting and wall jumping to grab that energy part is amazing and I'm sure that's the intended way. I think I just came back later with space jump for it, and I know Vinny used IBJ and got incredibly lucky with missing the buzzsaw by like a hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Omobono posted:

They also had the very good idea of giving control to a scholar tribe and not a warrior tribe. Of course the warriors can wedgie the nerds as shown by Raven Beak but eh, I don't think you can idiot proof this particular scenario.

I don't think they could wedgie the scholars because the scholars can control Metroids. That kind of would make it difficult for the warrior tribes to exert any power over the scholar tribes that can just say "Go get 'em boys."

Once all the Metroids were extinct, though, Raven Beak only needed one alive for Samus.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Combining this with the Chozo Memories from Samus Returns I think the timeline is:

Okay yeah this timeline makes sense. Wiping out the Thoha after they've sealed the Metroids under the stasis gel would definitely be the best way to do it and not get Metroids to the face.

SIGSEGV posted:

Presumably, he used suitable levels of violence and entirely non-biological weapons like the robot killer we just saw who just killed Quiet Robe.

Yeah, Tea has pointed out the robots being built in the background of the EMMI zones, he probably used those to fight the X.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Samus dies when the EMMIs extract her DNA, so why didn't he do that himself in the first place?

That's the question, isn't it? Adam straight up said that's the only thing he doesn't understand.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Omobono posted:

He probably has an overengineered custom one, three times faster than your average Mobile Chozo Suit.

Nah, can't be, it's not red.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Nah, the X gain the abilities and memories of their host even if the host was already dead. Raven Beak would have no reason to order his soldiers to kill themselves since it wouldn't matter, it'd just make it easier for the X to take their bodies and minds.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

It seems the X can't pass though metal? Only flesh?

The X can go through metal just fine, it's how they infected Samus even though she was wearing her Varia Suit, and there's also a big robot with an organic brain in Fusion that the X infect. There may however be a limit to how much metal they can go through, like radiation, and Elun did have a huge security system that scanned Samus when she first entered. It's likely that those scanners are all over Elun, and if an X got too close to the wall, it would get vaporized.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

There's only one way that we know of, but there's obviously other ways to take care of them since Raven Beak and his followers successfully managed to contain them without the help of Samus or Metroids.

e: Yeah, Samus' arm cannon isn't enough, but as Dread shows us, her arm cannon also isn't capable of damaging robots or strong enemies like Kraid (unless it's charged or has plasma beam). The fact that she can't just shoot X with her weapons doesn't mean that they could stand up to ship level weaponry, and X clearly can't survive in the vacuum of space and might not be able to withstand high temperatures either, since blowing up a planet is enough to kill them.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 14, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Varia suit is partially organic which is how the X infected it. They seem to be able mimic metal and travel through it only if it has organic components. They are noted as being Gelatinous, I assume that normally they just squeeze through cracks and openings. (In Fusion they were also noted not to be able to get to other parts of the Lab until the doors were unlocked for them.

I was going to say I don't remember anything implying the Varia suit is partially organic, but after looking it up apparently it's right there in the intro to Fusion where she says that the organic parts of the suit were infected which is why they had to be surgically removed. That, along with someone pointing out that the security robot wasn't infected until after it cracked open, yeah I think you're right. The X can't actually phase through metal. So keeping them sealed up in Elun works fine as a containment method, especially since as you noted they couldn't get through certain doors in the BSL.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Otherwise yeah you can come back with a future upgrade.

It should be noted that I actually did it that way but the timing is extremely strict, since you're storing the spark before you enter the tunnel, so you have to shoot the blocks, use that item, then bomb the blocks and shinespark up. That takes a lot of time and it took me nearly half an hour, you're basically trying to shinespark on the very last frame before it disappears which is rough. The intended way is much, much easier.

At any rate I was really impressed with Nat getting that missile expansion on the slope. I would've never thought of that, I'm pretty sure I just came back later from the other side.

TaurusOxford posted:

For anyone not following the Metroid Dread thread, Dread got nominated for GOTY. Get your votes in: https://thegameawards.com/nominees/game-of-the-year

I guess Dread is the only one I care about on that list, since my actual GOTY wasn't nominated (it was Persona 5 Strikers).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I've never really had a problem with space jumping before but I think that it's kinda lovely you can only double/space jump from a spinning jump and if you jump straight up, you can't do it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

How would free aiming on the right stick while moving with the left work exactly? You wouldn't be able to press the fire button which would defeat the purpose of free aiming, unless you want to do some weird crab claw thing and press Y with your index finger. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

Personally I feel the only two real problems with Dread's controls are not allowing you to double/space jump from a standing jump, and not giving the option to make missiles and the grapple beam a press to swap instead of a hold to swap.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I guess but even then you still wouldn't be able to jump while free aiming and firing, so you wouldn't be able to actively run and gun in boss fights even with free aim on the stick anyway. Given that I don't really see what the problem with free aim not letting you move is.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Tea is such a big fan of Fusion I'm surprised he wasn't immediately suspicious when ADAM called her "Samus" at the very start of the game. Especially since the real ADAM calls her "Lady" when she's in orbit above the planet, and when she's on the elevator going down into the planet.

AtomikKrab posted:

he should have just killed Samus when she was unconscious and salvaged what he could.

Honestly yeah, he could have taken the Metroid DNA right away and used Quiet Robe to keep any Metroids he cloned under control, but I think that's not really what he wanted. He knew Samus was already incredibly powerful even before she got the Metroid DNA. He didn't want just regular Metroids, especially since Samus would still be around and be able to defeat them like she's done in the past. He wanted her, the ultimate Metroid as his lapdog.

To be fair this does ignore the fact that if you get caught by an EMMI they do kill Samus, which I guess is a little bit of story and gameplay incongruity. Or I guess you can take it as "Samus isn't as good as Raven Beak thought she was but hey at least he gets Metroid DNA as a consolation prize and she won't be around to stop him."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Golux posted:

Do you have a video of this? I'm not quite sure what you mean. There is *just* enough space left up top even with the floor broken, though, I did it that way.

The Wave Beam can shoot through walls, so I think Zernach is saying what you do is go into the room with the powerup (from the bottom level), shoot to the top left to open the one way door from the comm room, start a speed boost, save it, jump up to the top level and out through the one way door, them jump up and bomb the floor and spark down.

"Shoot through the wall to get through a one way door" is actually the solution to get to an otherwise unreachable place in another area, but for this powerup that's a lot you'd have to do before the shinespark expires, especially since you'd have to wait for the bomb to explode. It can probably be done though, I mean I was able to get that one missile+ tank they were stumped by a few episodes ago using cross bombs instead of sliding through to the room on the left.

But yeah for this particular one I did the same thing you did, since there is just enough space to shinespark even if you blow up the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah, ADAM calls Samus "Lady" when they're in orbit above ZDR, and a second time when she's going down the elevator into the planet and the signal starts breaking up. Then when you run into your first comm room the second sentence "ADAM" says is "Well done, Samus." That's the big clue that this isn't ADAM, though even people who played the hell out of Fusion aren't necessarily going to pick up on that. Honestly I only started realizing it about halfway through the game, and only because I started watching another streamer play it and saw the opening cutscene again and went "Wait a minute, ADAM hasn't been calling her 'Lady' in any of his communications, that's pretty weird.