Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
There is something I don't understand about the timeline. The events Quiet Cloth described where the Thoha sealed the metroids away with the help of the Mawkin, and then were massacred by the Mawkin, and then Quiet Cloth was taken to ZDR occurred before Metroid II, right? (Possibly before Metroid I?). The X are not a threat in Metroid II. Samus doesn't encounter any at all even as she travels through the entire planet, but an X managed to infect a Mawkin soldier? Also, why didn't the Mawkin bring the metroids with them, or even just a few metroids with them, when they departed SRX-388? Like, they were already on the planet with the thing that they really want, why not get it, or at least some of it, while they are there?

Also, if Raven Beak needs a Thoha to control his metroids for him, why did he just murder his last Thoha with a killer robot?

It seems the X can't pass though metal? Only flesh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

The X can go through metal just fine, it's how they infected Samus even though she was wearing her Varia Suit, and there's also a big robot with an organic brain in Fusion that the X infect. There may however be a limit to how much metal they can go through, like radiation, and Elun did have a huge security system that scanned Samus when she first entered. It's likely that those scanners are all over Elun, and if an X got too close to the wall, it would get vaporized.

The security robot, "BOX" is not infected the first type it attacks Samus. Its armor is damaged in the battle, exposing the organic brain. It is only after this that it gets infected by the X and it has already been infected by the time of the second battle. X can't fight the robot masters on its own.

Omobono posted:

In Metroid 2 Samus had to deal with a long established Metroid infestation, no way any X could be there in the nest. They're way more intelligent than what they seem at first, they knew to steer well clear of the zone.

They're subject to the second principle of thermodynamics like everything else, you can vaporise X, it's just a matter of firepower.
Samus arm cannon and missiles aren't powerful enough, blowing up a planet is, it's unknown where the line is between these two extremes.

Are we sure about this? I'm tickled by the idea of there being a massive cloud of X, just floating in space where SRX-388 was.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 14, 2021

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Actually, why did Quiet Robe-X reactivate the Emmys? My first thought was that Quiet Robe-X would know everything that Quiet Robe knew, so it would know that Samus is part metroid and is the greatest threat to X and that the Emmys are trying to kill Samus, so reactivating them makes sense. But it would also know that the Emmys are trying to harvest the metroid DNA from Samus, presumably to clone more metroids, so reactivating them seems like a bad idea.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Omobono posted:

I mean, he punked Samus so hard her powerups popped out like she was a blue hedgehog, the arrogance is not without some basis.

On the other hand, this isn't really that hard to do. It seems to happen to Samus a lot.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
At the end of the Raven Beak bossfight, there is a cutscene where he grabs Samus by the neck and holds her in the air. She tries to grab his head, but can't reach, because his arm is too long. Later on in the cutscene (after all of the screaming) she tries to grab his head again and succeeds? Why is she suddenly able to reach his head?

Raven Beak is waiting in a space ship far above the surface of ZDR, presumably to stay away from the X. (And I guess so that he can decide when you reach him). There is a pod on the surface that can be used to reach the ship, which is how Samus gets to the ship. It is being guarded by an infested gold chozo warrior. Since this chozo warrior should maintain all of his knowledge from when he was alive, he should know about pods. Why doesn't he try to use it himself? Either to get to Raven Beak to try to infest him or to escape offworld?

I assume that Raven Beak had made preparations to destroy ZDR either as part of his plans or as a contingency against the X. It's possible his death triggered a fail-safe that destroyed the planet (he is kind of egotistical) or he deliberately triggered the destruction of the planet as he lay dying as an act of mercy.

The X being destoryable by high-powered beam weaponry makes Samus a bit less special, assuming that the last of the X didn't die on ZDR.

During my playthrough, I thought the reveal was going to be that Raven Beak wasn't actually hostile and that Adam and Quiet Cloth were lying. My thought was that during the first cutscene, Samus is actually the instigator of the violence between her and Raven Beak, since she pointed her gun at him before he did anything worthy of such a hostile reaction, so him defending himself is understandable, and he let her live because he wasn't hostile to her. And Adam seemed to know too much ("There should be an upgrade in this area").

AtomikKrab posted:

Also one last thing to point out, Samus claws him in the crack she made back in his suit in the opening cutscene. IF Raven Beak had fixed that crack in his armor, he would have won because his suit's exterior is metroid and X proof.

She actually just punches him so hard his whole helmet shatters. I don't think the crack in his helmet mattered.

Did anyone point out that Kraid didn't actually die at the end of his boss fight. He fell into the lava when the supports holding him up broke, but lava doesn't harm Kraid. The core-X of that Experiment also fell into the lava after its fight. We don't necessarily know that lava would kill a core-X. Could that be the source of the Kraid-X at the end of the game?

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 9, 2021