Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Birthday, enjoy Dread. I too am getting my rear end kicked but have made some good progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I just interpreted it as like Prime Series Hyper Beam being tied to sitting in Phazon and running out when the goo drains.

Except this time mercifully the beam only turns off once you kill the jerk rather than after a given number of shots.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One thing that I begrudgingly loved about the first real EMMI fight is that once I figured it out, once I had everything laid out ready to kick its rear end.... it decided THEN was the time to not follow the same path it did every other time and snuck up behind me.

Basicaly at 12:40 in the video, imagine waiting for like 5 seconds expecting that jerk to drop down and then "NOTHING PERSONNEL KID"

So the moral of the story is: don't go into that over the shoulder camera mode until you're damned sure you know where EMMI is coming from.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think the eye doors in super provided any sort of heal, just a 3 missile sponge.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Watching LPs of this are giving me chances to see things that I didn't notice while playing.

Or at least didn't notice immediately. Like the boss that had the cloaking device had a big chozo statue in the background but that jerk ate it before you got there.

The chozo must have learned since while the first one was in a boss arena sized room this one is in a room too small to fit a boss so you can walk right in and grab it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Flash Shift is insanely good for combat

The only issue I have with flash shift in combat is it doesn't give i-frames. I know honestly it doesnt make sense for being able to ignore a wall of damage just because you're moving really fast, but it just seems to break some unspoken rule of dodge abilities.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

If you want to figure out "how do I solve this" for shinespark puzzles without looking up full answers there are a couple of new tricks this game has that are worth knowing. I'll mention that people have found alternate methods for a lot of them depending on personal skillset, in "you can build up speed above the item or below, then figure out how to get that where it needs to be" style.

Note that none of this is mandatory for game completion, just 100%
--To be clear, building up speed still needs a flat straightway.
--Once you're moving at block-breaking speed, you keep it when walljumping or sliding. This can easily be misunderstood; I don't mean storing a shinespark and moving around while purple, I mean that you can sonic pinball your way off a wall and keep running the other direction. Sliding into a tunnel will have you roll at speed and automatically unmorph when you come out the other side.

Basically, movement is extremely fluid and if you know what's ahead you can do some absurd things.

What's nice about this is it was so fluid that I noticed a few times when hauling rear end and hopping that speed was maintained, but in those instances I was actually planning on stopping at or near where I landed so I never really noticed. It took like, 5 videos and multiple rewatches to get that the game expected you to do that for a few items. Another nice thing about the game I noticed is that there's a ton of +2 missile tanks, theres one or two +10 on the main path to keep you competitive if you're not going out of your way, but most fiendish puzzles are the +10 prizes

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I tried that method a bunch of times, even charging the shinespark, dropping down to bomb, hopping back up to burn the shinespark on the incline and restore it, but just couldn't get in the right spot to smash them.

The intended method that I did end up falling into doing took many tries to do but drat if it isn't satisfying becoming incredibly agile death.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too liked how with how most of her expressions in cutscenes are "shoot progressively stronger artillery" at things, it was nice to see her able to recognize a non-threat and relax.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Why does obtaining a DNA sample from Samus involve firing a massive spike through her torso? Couldn't he have just hired someone to steal her coffee cup? Or paid off her hairdresser?

I chalk that up to Raven Beak not knowing how genetics works and doesn't know how to resequence DNA or anything so doesn't want to waste a drop.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That thumbnail and title fill me with equal parts joy and... dread.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

*Exhales*

So... yeah that happened. SEVERAL TIMES.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Tea hit the nail on the head about Samus.

The whole game has been Dread.

First dreading evading and dealing with EMMIs.

Then EMMIs stopped being a big deal.

Then the Chozo Robot was a problem. 2 fights in quick succession showed how much of a threat they were. A few upgrades later and even with 2 of them weren't a problem any more.

Then the Chozo X were a dread.

What could be more dreadful than all those things?

The one that destroyed them all. The first time I fought the Chozo X I really didn't like how you had to do 2 counter attacks to end the fight. Then this happens and I really didn't like it :stonk:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The twist did actually seemed pretty well done. I think I had suspicions after the second "You can't beat the glorious genius of Raven Beak the Great" speech from "Adam" but the first one was blunt "you just got 1/10th of your abilities back and 3 energy tanks, you are not able to hurt the guy who took a super missile to the face and merely cracked his mask." seemed reasonable.

Now that we see that Raven Beak's behind the whole setup between the startand now, I personally think that Raven Beak just hosed with the Varia suit's config files when you got it before Kraid to deactivate cold defense so Samus had to follow his intended route. Someone in the dread thread had another idea that Samus's Metroid DNA progressed far enough that the Varia suit was no longer enough to defend her.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 2, 2021

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too consider her one spoken line to be worth including. If it seemed "most boring" its because all her other expressions are larger than life.

Just the narrowing of the eyes when she realizes that Raven Beak/ Adam is A Problem that she needs to deal with.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Also one last thing to point out, Samus claws him in the crack she made back in his suit in the opening cutscene. IF Raven Beak had fixed that crack in his armor, he would have won because his suit's exterior is metroid and X proof.

"This Scar in my armor looks badass. After all this is done I'm gonna pick up so many chicks at the Chozo bar... wait we're all dead... Fine, The Torizo bar 3 planets over" -Raven Beak, almost certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Thinking about it more now, do we know if Raven Beak was definitely only beaten by his cool battle damage? Samus drained a robot and at the end Adam was afraid that just touching a control panel would kill her ship.

Maybe when Samus was only trying to reenact G Gundam it would have worked, but when she went full Berserker Mode? Probably not. Worst case she probably would have clawed at the red LEDs for his eyes rather than through a crack in the armor.