Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Happy birthday Nat!

...That said, it's going to be at least a little while before I can start following along with the LP. I've managed to remain unspoiled thus far but probably won't get my hands on the game for a week or so yet. I'll be back once I've finished it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I have now finished this game and return to follow the LPs. It's pretty good! (And thankfully didn't justify any fears I had after the debacle of Other M.)

Dread feels a lot more "actiony", for lack of a better word, to me than past Metroid games, and I died a lot more in this one (even if you don't count EMMI) than I remember doing in Super/Fusion/ZM/AM2R. Something about this game's combat style just didn't click with me for most of my playthrough, and I'm hoping I'll have more fun and struggle less on a second playthrough.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

That simultaneous cry of "oh come on!" was a thing of beauty :allears:

Samus' reactions in this game are excellent, and really do go a long way toward making up for the damage done in Other M. I'm not sure this game as a whole is retconning it out of existence, but it makes enough nods in that direction that I can't help interpreting as "yes, we know what we did, we're fixing it now". (Whether this means Sakamoto learned his lesson, or just bowed to the desires of the fanbase for the sake of capitalism, I can't say, but I'm also not sure I care. Samus is Samus again!)

(Can't say I'm a fan of the weird hyperfeminine sexy walk they have her do in places though, I don't understand why they had to do that.)

Poor Kraid, though. The fight's great but I can't help feeling a bit sorry for him here.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Gnoman posted:

They really seem to pile the abilities on in this game. Maybe it is just me not being good at Metroid, but I don't remember accumulating this much this fast before.

I agree with this, the pacing of major upgrades in this game felt really fast to me, it felt like it didn't give a lot of time to appreciate them properly before the next one came along.

There's also the phenomenon Mark Brown observed (video contains full game spoilers, Nat don't look): where the game keeps pushing you toward progress, by funnelling you with one-way paths and putting the places you need to use upgrades very close to where you get them through the use of well-placed teleporters. It's interesting, because in some ways this is really good design for the pacing and keeps you feeling like you're on the right track, but on another it feels a bit like being spoon-fed.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

While that's the intended solution to that speed booster puzzle (and it's fun, and certainly the easier way), it's also possible to solve it from the other side, though the timing is very tight. You can charge up the shinespark, bomb through the block, then roll through and shinespark/ballspark diagonally. This is how I did it, though it took far too many tries and I don't recommend it.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Meaty Ore posted:

It took me until this cutscene to realize that Samus' suit no longer covers her neck, which explains why the EMMIs are able to kill her so easily.

This is something that really bothers me, especially because I think it's actually some kind of animation error in this specific cutscene. If you look at Samus throughout the rest of the game, including in other cutscenes, she does have plating covering that area (and it isn't flesh-coloured either).

Something's really off here (honestly, it might even just be an issue with the models, it kind of looks like she's clipping through the suit?) and I find it incredibly distracting, which is unfortunate during such an important scene.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm embarrassed to admit that Drogyga stumped me for long enough that I resorted to looking it up, and felt really dumb when I realised I just didn't notice there was a button on the other side. Once you know how to kill it, I think this is one of the easiest bosses in the game, but until you know it can be pretty frustrating. (It does die a bit more slowly if you don't do the parry thing, I think it takes three cycles if you just use missiles? and later cycles have more red fireballs and another tentacle attack, so at least it gets slightly more interesting.)

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

TaurusOxford posted:

I keep seeing this being people's issue with Drogyga and I keep being compelled to ask: Did you not pay attention to the pre-fight cutscene?

I specifically said "on the other side". You see one button in the cutscene. I saw the one on the left, got to the point of "stun the thing, button lowers the water, um... do something from the ceiling? but what?".

That said, I'll admit I could probably pay more attention to the cutscenes.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The shinespark puzzle question has already been answered here (I did it by coming back with a later item the first time, but there is a way to do it now; it requires figuring out some properties of the slide that aren't immediately obvious).

As for the infinite bomb jumping one, it is absolutely possible to do it that way (I've seen someone pull that off in a stream), but I don't recommend it. I think you need space jump and possibly power bombs to get up there without infinite bomb jumping, though? Regardless, it's for something minor (a small missile pack)so I don't recommend practising bomb jumps to get it now.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Quackles posted:

That's not true, actually. If you get that missile tank at the point Nat is now, there's a pitfall block beneath it - you are redirected immediately into the item room containing the Space Jump.

Heh, don't think I realised that. I think the person I saw do it must not have gone past the missile pack, which is pretty funny. Of course, given... certain things... I stand by my statement that Nat shouldn't try ;)

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

That was very strange. I have no idea what happened.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

It's also interesting in the context of Fusion. I've watched a few playthroughs recently and computer!Adam in Fusion calls her Samus throughout the game, and doesn't switch to "Lady" until she calls him out in the finale.

We all remember the line because it was impactful, but it never seemed unusual to me that he was calling her "Samus" because he's done that plenty before. (The continued absence of "Lady" does seem weirder as the game goes on, though. I like how they set this up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

God, this boss. It took me a lot longer to figure out than you did, I needed to take a break and keep trying over multiple play sessions. (And also never quite worked out how to dodge the sun attack, I saw people discussing the power bomb trick and had to rely on that; I'm seriously impressed at how you solved that.)

The thing that's really interesting about this boss, to me, is how utterly daunting it feels at first, and yet it's so learnable that once you get good at each phase you can pretty much effortlessly catch back up to where you died last time. And with a little practice, it barely feels like a challenge even on hard mode. I'm very impressed by the design.

(Although, on the other hand, something about Raven Beak, satisfying as he is to fight, just doesn't feel like a Metroid boss. I'm not sure if it's as simple as him being on the same scale as Samus rather than some giant room-filling behemoth, or the focus on melee combat and countering, or something else, but it doesn't quite feel Metroidy to me.)

On the subject of ending rewards - all you get are image unlocks in the gallery, there's no further narrative content. There are 9 "Chozo Archive" images, the first 8 correspond to 100% items in each sub-area and then the final one for 100% overall. Then there are 6 ending images for finishing the game on Normal and Hard respectively within certain time limits (any clear, under 8 hours, and under 4 hours), and a final bonus one for getting the other 6 on one file. It's not hard to find these images on google if you want to see them, it doesn't really add anything to see them ingame.