Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Rosalie_A posted:

Some general combat tips that might be helpful and not immediately intuitive. I'm putting these in a spoiler block in case you'd rather not read them now, but they're here if you feel you want them:

-Missiles are your primary damage dealers. Regular beam shots are for small fry, charge beam is for backup when you run out of missiles or for jumping through weak enemies.

-No, seriously, I do mean primary. This isn't like Super or Fusion where depending on your point in the game the Charge Beam is as good or better than missiles. You get oodles of tanks and oodles of pickups: shoot missiles like crazy.

-Stuff hurts in this game. You're not expected to facetank damage like you can in other games. You're expected to dodge or parry everything accordingly, with energy just being your margin for screwing up with that.

-Accordingly, the more obvious an attack, the more damage it will deal as punishment for ignoring the windup. Put another way, some enemies will jab, and some enemies will Falcon Punch. The second one will hurt like hell, to a far larger degree than other Metroid games. (For example, Mother Brain's hand beams in Super do 100 damage while the far harder to dodge mouth rings do 20 damage. It's a much more vicious ratio in Dread, with a higher baseline too.)

-Aiming can seem kind of strange. You can freely aim, but you stop when doing so, right? Not quite. You can basically always freely aim while on the ground and jumping. Free aim just stops you from moving (and removes the autocorrection for around ten degrees off the horizontal in case you don't have Monkey Ball-honed precision for keeping an analog stick perfectly straight). Use Free Aim when you need complete precision or you're fine with not moving.

-In short, keep moving and don't stop shooting. Enemies in this game can feel like hard hitting bullet sponges, but that's because you're meant to constantly be doing both.

-I'm serious. Use missiles. You'll be surprised how rarely you'll run out.

-no really i'm not joking on the missiles thing

It sounds like they took a lot from the Metroid 2 remake.

There's a break even point about half way through in M2:SR where you go from horribly weak to a walking death machine. It's rather jarring, and I hope they did better on the power curve here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

ilmucche posted:

I was wondering about that, surely it's a lighting mistake or something?

The cutscenes are all done in engine, so likely?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Simply Simon posted:

(I take it back, I love Echoes, but Seekers suuuuck)
Seekers weren't necessarily bad, missiles were just underpowered in the face of the alignment beams, so charging 5 missiles onto a target takes longer than a couple charge shots to achieve the same damage.