Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Watched

Yet to watch

Watching Possession and Invasion from Inner Earth tonight. then need a few more to finish the month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
im gonna watch BBC's Ghostwatch and play Resident Evil 7

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My wife and I planned to do one movie a day in October. That pretty quickly proved to be difficult, but so far we've watched:

Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Ju-on: The Grudge and Ju-on: The Grudge 2
V/H/S/94
Phantasm
Shaun of the Dead
Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum
The Void

We're planning to watch Psycho 2 tonight, since she's never seen it and I remember it being shockingly good especially knowing it's a sequel to such a classic movie.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
So far

Malignant 2021– Sucked
Exorcist 3 1990– Very underrated
Army of Darkness 1992—Excellent

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

The Walrus posted:

im gonna watch BBC's Ghostwatch

Classic!

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Malignant 2021– Sucked

So wrong

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Exorcist 3 1990– Very underrated

Its fantastic, a great film.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum

Will add this to my list

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Stop illegal downloading op

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Colonel Cancer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH1ekuvSYzE

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Colonel Cancer posted:

I copied them all from by DVD's and Bluerays, the others come free with OpenBSD 6.9

Boner M fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 12, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ShisuiAfterDark/status/1446917210073616394?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbdebLeSOr8

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Boner M posted:

I copied them all from by DVD's and Bluerays, the others come free with OpenBSD 6.9

There is literally no justice strong enough to make you pay for the all people you’ve hurt.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Just post your fcking lists, god drat

Go back and edit your posts with horror films.

I only buy physical music, not a "film head"

Boner M fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 12, 2021

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Got a lot on my list (recent boutique Blu-ray releases I’ve bought. Why yes, I still buy physical media):

The Stuff
Society
Candyman
The People Under the Stairs
Shocker
The Fog
The Thing
Tales From the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight
Tales From the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood
Re-Animator
The Gate
Night of the Comet
The Serpent and the Rainbow
From Beyond
Ghost Town
Highway to Hell
Creepshow 1 & 2
Tales From the Darkside: The Movie
Tales From the Hood

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 12, 2021

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

You Are A Elf posted:

The Serpent and the Rainbow

Thanks for posting on theme!, never seen that one, added, thanks!

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
I used to binge-watch the entire Halloween series every October (except for part III: Season of the Witch, because for some reason the filmmakers decided it would be a solid idea to make a Halloween franchise movie without series-antagonist Michael Myers in that one.)

Incidentally, I have seen a few interesting variations of badly stitched-together versions of Halloween 6 (which you, the casual Halloween watcher, will possibly, but not likely, remember as the one in which we abruptly discover that our boy Mike is actually some kind of golem controlled by a cringy druidic cult known as The Cult of Thorn.)

Every version I've gotten my hands on has around 60% to 70% of the footage in a state that looks fairly on par with what you'd expect from a film made in 1994, but as the movie drags on, both the story and production quality of the film degrade rapidly. In addition, the movie is riddled with continuity errors and presents a thematic "gently caress it, just leave production equipment in the shot" aesthetic. There are multiple endings depending on which version you get - each and every version of this film ate poo poo from test audiences, so they just kept filming alternate storylines and endings post-post-production and never got it anywhere near right.

Posting about the flaws of Halloween 6 made me want to find out more about what went so wrong with this movie. To my delight, the Wikipedia page for Halloween 6 is a treasure trove and really sets the table for how this film was hosed before it even started filming. It's worth a read for any Halloween franchise fans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween:_The_Curse_of_Michael_Myers

Just a few of many choice quotes:

"In 1990, screenwriter and long-time Halloween fan Daniel Farrands set out to write the sixth entry in the Halloween series. Farrands gave his horror film scripts to the producer of Halloween 5, Ramsey Thomas; impressed by his writing, Thomas set a meeting for Farrands with executive producer Moustapha Akkad."

"Evil Dead II co-writer Scott Spiegel was hired to direct the film with a new script being written by Quentin Tarantino. Tarantino's script involved Michael Myers and the Man in Black fleeing Haddonfield together and going on a road trip down Route 66 while murdering people, but he was never officially hired and Spiegel later departed the project. Tarantino's rejected screenplay bears a resemblance with his screenplay for Natural Born Killers, which he was pitching to Miramax Films at the same time as he was writing the screenplay for Halloween 6."

"John Carpenter was asked to return at one point and proposed setting the film in a space station, but Moustapha Akkad rejected his proposal."

"Phil Rosenberg was the first writer hired for the film. His script, titled Halloween 666: The Origin, was hated by Akkad, who tossed the script across his room after he finished reading it."

"According to Farrands, there were around ten different drafts of his script written between June 1994 and the October 1994 film shoot, and much of the finale that appears in the theatrical version was not written by him, and had been written and shot in post-production under the supervision of Dimension Films."

"In early 1995, after filming and editing was completed, Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (an R rated movie) was given a test screening in New York City to a group which "consisted primarily of fourteen-year-old boys." During the Q&A afterward, one of the audience members expressed great displeasure at the ending of the film, which entailed a Celtic ritual and the passing on of the "Curse of Thorn" to the Dr. Loomis character. As a result of the audience's disapproval toward the film's finale, the movie was rushed back into production, this time without Donald Pleasence, who died on February 2, 1995.

"Reshoots took place in Los Angeles, California in the summer of 1995. A. Michael Lerner replaced George P. Wilbur in the role of Michael Myers, as the studio executives wanted him to appear less bulky. (lol) This resulted in continuity errors as the last third of the film features a slimmer Myers."

"In addition to the re-shoots prompted by the poor test screening, the film also underwent significant editing in post-production, resulting in brisker pacing and a "flashier" cinematic style that favored "blood and guts," but, according to Farrands, ultimately resulted in a "more confusing" movie. According to writer Farrands, the stylized flash cuts prominent in the final theatrical cut of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers were not originally intended, and he likened the style of the final product to an "MTV video rather than a Halloween film." Composer Alan Howarth similarly called the final product a "fix job," with numerous elements of the production being in flux both during and after principal photography."

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

I used to binge-watch the entire Halloween series every October (except for part III: Season of the Witch, because for some reason the filmmakers decided it would be a solid idea to make a Halloween franchise movie without series-antagonist Michael Myers in that one.)

Incidentally, I have seen a few interesting variations of badly stitched-together versions of Halloween 6 (which you, the casual Halloween watcher, will possibly, but not likely, remember as the one in which we abruptly discover that our boy Mike is actually some kind of golem controlled by a cringy druidic cult known as The Cult of Thorn.)

Every version I've gotten my hands on has around 60% to 70% of the footage in a state that looks fairly on par with what you'd expect from a film made in 1994, but as the movie drags on, both the story and production quality of the film degrade rapidly. In addition, the movie is riddled with continuity errors and presents a thematic "gently caress it, just leave production equipment in the shot" aesthetic. There are multiple endings depending on which version you get - each and every version of this film ate poo poo from test audiences, so they just kept filming alternate storylines and endings post-post-production and never got it anywhere near right.

Posting about the flaws of Halloween 6 made me want to find out more about what went so wrong with this movie. To my delight, the Wikipedia page for Halloween 6 is a treasure trove and really sets the table for how this film was hosed before it even started filming. It's worth a read for any Halloween franchise fans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween:_The_Curse_of_Michael_Myers

Just a few of many choice quotes:

"In 1990, screenwriter and long-time Halloween fan Daniel Farrands set out to write the sixth entry in the Halloween series. Farrands gave his horror film scripts to the producer of Halloween 5, Ramsey Thomas; impressed by his writing, Thomas set a meeting for Farrands with executive producer Moustapha Akkad."

"Evil Dead II co-writer Scott Spiegel was hired to direct the film with a new script being written by Quentin Tarantino. Tarantino's script involved Michael Myers and the Man in Black fleeing Haddonfield together and going on a road trip down Route 66 while murdering people, but he was never officially hired and Spiegel later departed the project. Tarantino's rejected screenplay bears a resemblance with his screenplay for Natural Born Killers, which he was pitching to Miramax Films at the same time as he was writing the screenplay for Halloween 6."

"John Carpenter was asked to return at one point and proposed setting the film in a space station, but Moustapha Akkad rejected his proposal."

"Phil Rosenberg was the first writer hired for the film. His script, titled Halloween 666: The Origin, was hated by Akkad, who tossed the script across his room after he finished reading it."

"According to Farrands, there were around ten different drafts of his script written between June 1994 and the October 1994 film shoot, and much of the finale that appears in the theatrical version was not written by him, and had been written and shot in post-production under the supervision of Dimension Films."

"In early 1995, after filming and editing was completed, Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (an R rated movie) was given a test screening in New York City to a group which "consisted primarily of fourteen-year-old boys." During the Q&A afterward, one of the audience members expressed great displeasure at the ending of the film, which entailed a Celtic ritual and the passing on of the "Curse of Thorn" to the Dr. Loomis character. As a result of the audience's disapproval toward the film's finale, the movie was rushed back into production, this time without Donald Pleasence, who died on February 2, 1995.

"Reshoots took place in Los Angeles, California in the summer of 1995. A. Michael Lerner replaced George P. Wilbur in the role of Michael Myers, as the studio executives wanted him to appear less bulky. (lol) This resulted in continuity errors as the last third of the film features a slimmer Myers."

"In addition to the re-shoots prompted by the poor test screening, the film also underwent significant editing in post-production, resulting in brisker pacing and a "flashier" cinematic style that favored "blood and guts," but, according to Farrands, ultimately resulted in a "more confusing" movie. According to writer Farrands, the stylized flash cuts prominent in the final theatrical cut of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers were not originally intended, and he likened the style of the final product to an "MTV video rather than a Halloween film." Composer Alan Howarth similarly called the final product a "fix job," with numerous elements of the production being in flux both during and after principal photography."

Halloween 3 is great regardless.

i'll read the rest tomorow

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Descent is p good

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Harald posted:

The Descent is p good

You should post a list of Horror films that are good

JUst post films

Boner M fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 12, 2021

Korthal
May 26, 2011

How old are you OP? Watch something from the last 30 years

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Korthal posted:

How old are you OP? Watch something from the last 30 years

I chose old stuff on purpose

I usually watch a mix of old and new stuff and wanted to do more older things this year

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Adding that Halloween 3 is good and you get to see Tom Atkins' butt. Name another Halloween movie that does that.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Last years

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
White of the Eye (1987) is loving fantastic, just insane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_of_the_Eye

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Annihilation

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

First page of the pool I’m picking from for Hooptober/SA 31 in 31. Did Possession last night, a corker.

The rest: https://boxd.it/94L82

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

First page of the pool I’m picking from for Hooptober/SA 31 in 31. Did Possession last night, a corker.

The rest: https://boxd.it/94L82

yess thanks

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ghosts are made of cum, I wish hollywood would at least acknowledge this. :colbert:

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Ghosts are made of cum, I wish hollywood would at least acknowledge this. :colbert:

Hanna Barbera has a few

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't see anyone with the WNUF Halloween Special on anyone's list which is a shame.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

so far ive watched -

Assault on precinct 13(not really a horror i just wanted to see it)
Chinese ghost story
Evil dead
wishmaster

i've also played -

Little nightmares + DLC (kicks butt)
Visage (spooky but controls too clumsy and it gets boring after 2-3 hours)

im planning on watching -

rawhead rex
suspiria (both of them)
halloween
lair of the white worm
the gate
halloween 3

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 12, 2021

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't see anyone with the WNUF Halloween Special on anyone's list which is a shame.

This one is also really good. I know they're either funding or working on filming a sequel, which I'd love to see. It absolutely captures the vibe of watching a local news channel on Halloween night.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

This one is also really good. I know they're either funding or working on filming a sequel, which I'd love to see. It absolutely captures the vibe of watching a local news channel on Halloween night.

There is a WNUF 2 in the works.

They also just released "What Happens Next Will Scare You." It's not a sequel but it is a followup from the same team. It sorta exists in the same world as WNUF as some characters from WNUF appear in it.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Add Singapore Sling (1990) to the list if you haven’t seen it OP.

I will check out White of the eye, looks great.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I didnt know what this was and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNUF_Halloween_Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5iCF2Ltjlk

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Don't read that page. Go in totally blind for the best experience.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

There is a WNUF 2 in the works.

They also just released "What Happens Next Will Scare You." It's not a sequel but it is a followup from the same team. It sorta exists in the same world as WNUF as some characters from WNUF appear in it.

Thank you, gonna have to track this one down to watch before Halloween.

And yes, absolutely go into WNUF blind. I caught it on Shudder last year and the name and vague description were enough to get me interested. Absolutely loved this movie and how unique it is in the found footage genre.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Jose Oquendo posted:

Don't read that page. Go in totally blind for the best experience.

yeah i had a feeling and didnt

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Mestre da pizza

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Can I just say anyone who hasn't seen Poltergeist please do so.

I find hundreds of people every day who haven't seen it because its may be too scary.

Its Family Ties Meets The Scoleri Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Rugrats in Paris