Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

^^^That Bruiser Brody is super cool! I think I still have some of my old LJN wrestlers in my parents basement.

^^^Edit: That Muta is awesome. I would looooooove one in red facepaint to go along with a 90s surfer Sting.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

He hired a well known folk artist who made sculptures of animals in a friendly, round manner to use his same aesthetic on the Ultra Q Kaiju so they would not be as frightening and more palatable towards children (and probably for the parents so they would purchase these ¥350 monster toys).

This is really neat. The more I look at stuff (especially vintage), the more I find I'm drawn to the softer (or friendly / round) stuff. There's a real charm to it.

I got a few things in the mail this week. I'll post up my small collection soon.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Oh, nooooo, haha. That Ultimate Warrior is a beaut!

I am going to have to look at all the old wrestlers now. That's not a hole I was prepared to go down.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Shiiiit, they did a red Muta.

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/project1-6/4530956589688/

I need both so I can swap the red facepaint onto the black pants.

Edit: Here's a collection pic.

I've added a Funko Metaluna Mutant (do people take these seriously? It's painted well and seems quality, haha).

Two different Sunguts Prodigy Academy Collection dudes I got on one-up. I really like a lot of the Sunguts stuff I've seen online. Will probably grab more of these, as well as try to find a few of his other releases.

and lastly thanks to Mr. Gatos, I now have a MaxToys Tripus! Who doesn't like a Chthuluian squid Kaiju!? and the paint is incredible. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for more Tripus and an Eyezon as well I think.

I've also got a few more things on the way too, but it's probably time to pump the breaks a bit and enjoy.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 12, 2021

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I just missed his last painted release of Sofubi Man. That custom owns!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Those King Negora are awesome. Mr. Nagata posted a video of the color change one on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSFpvvYhh7E/?utm_medium=copy_link

Incredibly dumb question here, but on the link to the Project 1/6 store, if it's not listed as sold out can you still buy it?

Also, any insight into Marmit Godzilla figs? Are they just super collectible? I found a hashtag on instagram (#desugoji) searching for a Green Godzilla and found exactly what I was looking for (https://www.instagram.com/p/CI2dFCqHFI4/?utm_medium=copy_link), but most of these are many hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Gotcha thanks. I was surprised to see stuff from 3-4 years ago "in stock'.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ahh, that's basically the action figure game at this point. I pre-ordered Mezco Conan like 14 months ago, haha. As long as I know what I'm in for, heh.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

All 6 to the same person!? Lucky!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Waited until all of these came into the mail before posting them up, but just got my last one.

These are Max Toy Ultraman from the same line as the two kaiju above!

I wound up with 5 of these mostly by accident...

I entered a lottery from OneUp for the white and black glitter Ultramen on the off chance I could purchase them.

The rainbow one is an older release I found on Mandarake, and I wanted to test out their buying process so I ordered him, but also had the silver glitter version in my cart. They came from 2 different locations, and I didn't pay enough attention when getting the payment confirmation emails so I got both.

Then I wound up winning the lottery for the two OneUp entries. :confuoot:

I got my first one from Mandarake in the mail (the clear rainbow one). I was excited for the others, and then Max Toy put up an order for a clear sunset colorway. I like the rainbow one enough that I went ahead and got that one...

Apparently I collect Ultramen now... :homebrew:

That Elegab Warsgon is great! He exudes chaos, and I really like the airplane hands, haha.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I did get on the Max Toy mailing list, and I follow him on Instagram, so hopefully that helps. I keep all notifications turned off and missed his posting about Sofubi Man a week or so ago, so it seems they go quick.

I've seen Pico Pico mentioned in a few different places. Do they just sculpt for creators or do they have their own stuff as well?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Sweet, thanks. I'll give it follow.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

That Ultraman print is great! I'll have to keep an eye on the artist. We moved not too long ago and finding space for all the wall art we had at the old house has been a challenge.

I love love love that pink Tunnelon too!!! Growing up through the late 80s/90s anything neon :kiss:. Love the group photo too; I like how the different colors bring out different details in the vinyl.

I've only ever watched modern Godzilla movies (2000 forward), but there are a bunch on HBO right now I'm going to have to check out. Feels like I'll have to pick up some sort of Godzilla eventually, heh.

Edit: I was curious about the other Godzillas and found this image on google.

That's a fun set!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 19, 2021

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I think they count, but I'm still very much learning about the whole thing.

I did see those Negoras, and especially like the tiger one. Resin sas cat is cool too!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Awesome!!! Green is the best color, haha.

Will these be available online / for shipping or in-store only?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Nice, I'll give it a try at least.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, same. Super fun costume though.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lots of cool stuff! These Elegabs are great; I thought I had a lead on a clear Warsgon, but twas not to be.

I messaged the Monster Patrol folks on IG, they seem like super cool folks! Hope to score a Frankenlulu and Ultraman!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Those detailed sculpts are great, but it's almost too much, ha. Different strokes I guess.

That's an awesome haul! Lots of fun stuff, and the blacklight shot is great. I got a kick out of the tennis shoes on the minis.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 26, 2021

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Store looks dope!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I got a Lulu and an Ultraman!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

All good. Shipping is all kinds of hosed up right now.

Got a few new things I need to take pictures of too.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

That's neato! I watched a Tokyo Toy Bastard video where he went to a whole gacha store. Just machine after machine. It was fun. I suppose this was an obvious next step to the coin operated ones?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Here's my acquisitions for the past few weeks (I definitely have a problem).

Another Max Toy Ultraman. As someone who's first love is action figures, these hit right in the middle of the sofubi/action figure Venn-diagram for me.

A Grape Brain Onigiri. This was just something I had watched on ebay and got a seller offer for a hefty discount, so I pulled the trigger. I didn't realize there was a mouth on the back. I was more tickled by this in person than I thought I would be and have another one on the way.

A Max Toy Co. Tripus. I adore the one Mr. Gatos sold to me, and I'd been eyeing another red one on ebay. Then this one popped up for an auction that I won at a much cheaper price. The header card did have a tear in it, but I open everything anyway, so not a huge issue for me.

A Gargamel Deathra. Another ebay find, but this one was a surprise to me as my wife got me this for our anniversary. The listing described it as "Coke bottle green"; it's a really cool color.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The ebay listing for the Gargamel did say it was rare / desirable, but you never know if people just say those things. I'll have to look more into them. I really like the sculpt itself, but it was the color of the vinyl that I found really appealing.

Here's a link to the other Onigiri that's coming: https://www.hbyty.tw/en/product/detail/932777 and a link to the one in my picture: https://wootbear.com/grape-brain-white-onigiri/ if anyone's looking for non-ebay options. That painting is super fun!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck translucent orange Onigiri....

:doit:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

All good, I'm just an enabler, haha.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Fairly off topic, but thought this would be a good place to ask.

I just saw that there are a bunch of old Godzilla Movies on HBOMax. I was going to start watching in chronological order, but thought I'd ask if there was anything specifically worth watching / skipping? I've only ever seen Godzialla from about 2000ish forward.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Watch the original 1954 Godzilla and then just watch whatever sounds fun after that. There is no wrong way to do it. If you like stupid 1970s stuff, watch G vs. Megalon. If you enjoy kind of weird but neat sci-fi, watch the original Vs. Mecha Godzilla. If you like disaster movies and eldrich horrors, watch Shin Godzilla. They are all neat in their own ways.

Except Vs. Space Godzilla which is pretty much just bad.

Okay, cool. I did watch the original already, but wasn't sure where to go after that. This helps, thanks!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone here a member of SkullBrain? I was able to register a username a few months ago, but have no privileges to post anywhere. I've shot a couple of "Contact Us" messages to them through he site and even DM'd what it seems is the primary site admin, but I've gotten silence on all attempts to get access. Any insight into getting through?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Awesome, I love that sculpt, and the neon pink rocks!

Those are some great pics!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

OTUS is wild, and those colors are legit! I love the expression evokes both joy and terror at the owl blob consuming his body, ha. Is there a meaning behind the Owl other than the name?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Both of those are super cool.

...and now I'm adding old Ultraman episodes to the must watch list.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Pork Fried Wrighst posted:

That Ultraman toy is incredibly cool. I have a few Ultraman toys but I feel like a poser because I haven't watched literally any of it even though I've been buying some of the boxsets on bluray.

Anyone going to Designercon this year? I haven't seen too many exclusives that I'm really into (which is understandable), but I'd love to try to go next year.

Other than the Netflix series, and the link Gatos posted, me neither! Not letting that stop me from picking up something that looks visually interesting, haha. Some of the fun I've had getting into sofubi is that exploring properties that I don't know anything about. I've seen devilman before, know nothing about him. Your collection pic sent me down a rabbit hole of discovery!

Not going to Designercon this year, but I'm going to try and make it next year. It's scheduled for my only free weekend between now and New Years. Just too much going on to squeeze that in. I'm still not sure about traveling either. I've just started venturing back out to public locally, haha.

Ate at a restaurant indoors or out for the first time since roughly Feb of 2019 this past Saturday. It was amazing, hahaha.

On another note, does anyone know if Medicom reissues their figs? I just found out about Astro-Mu 5, and adore both the vintage and modern releases. I'm apparently still 6 years too late on the modern stuff, heh.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yes, but it's not really on a predictable schedule whatsoever. Earlier this year I pre-ordered a figure that got a reissue from them 5 or 6 years ago (and now it's been delayed from August to December due to COVID) and last month another 2 from the same time frame of 5 years. Which is great because buying these particular figures second hand was near impossible to find in the first place and each one was in the $400-$500 range.

edit: It's also completely unpredictable which figures they will reissue.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Those Kamen Rider cats on Rotofugi are kickin' rad!

I ran across the next set of Vinyl Artist Gacha last night and it has mini Butigers. I really like the pink and teal one! I know nothing about the ones in the upper left, but the green and red one is rad too.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

All three of those are great! The tricycle riders are super fun.

How big is that SSSP base? Does it scale with their other releases?

Apparently there was also a show in Japan this weekend, so not exactly a DCON pickup, but I grabbed a console from Galaxy People this morning. I tried to get a Drexyl too, but he sold out while I was inputting my info.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWK9JoKPzo6/?utm_medium=copy_link

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Definitely want to pick up a Sensorbat at some point. Those are super rad.

I thought that SSSP base was at least shoebox sized, lololol. I've found with a lot of stuff without something else in the picture the scale of these are really hard to judge.

Hedora is cheaper than I would have guessed.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The colors on that Baltan are great! Really interesting vids with him providing a bit of history there.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I love these info drops. I'm listening to Brian @ Super7 explain the Turtle van manufacturing while I'm working and just hit toy manufacturing info nirvana, hahaha. It's all so fascinating.

The hardness of the vinyl was something that I didn't realize could vary. Do the Japanese have a standard or preferred hardness? I have the Funko Hikari Metaluna Mutant and it is noticeably harder than everything else, but I sort of chalked that up to them being a huge manufacturer. I personally prefer it softer, but don't really have a reason why.

Do you know how the paint masks are manufactured? I've seen some that make a cage, but also some that look like a hammered sheet of tin. Are the flat tin ones just as expensive?

Edit: ^^^ Yeah, you've got both types!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Very interesting; and yes thank you so much for the insight!

It's funny as I learn more about this I've been mentally noting all the skills involved in in manufacturing / producing a single toy and it's really wild for something that a few months ago I thought was such a simple thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Nice pickups! I especially like the sherbet colored Nyagira. Blacklight stuff is always fun.