Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Goughon is a painter- with a beret, paint brush, palette, and goatee- his name is a play on Von Gough.

And not a play on Paul Gauguin? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

LadyPictureShow posted:

Shimomoku released 'Bell' via a US seller, and it arrived yesterday.

(I love the li'l chilling figure on the bottom right).

Of course, as soon as it arrived, I see it's going to be made in a purple/blue colorway in the future... :negative:

Holy poo poo I need this thing, it looks like an eldritch god from the Thomas the Tank Engine universe and that's awesome! Legit kinda mad that I missed it. I found the artist's instagram where they're playing around with different colorways but the app doesn't want to auto translate the post text to even give me a hint as to when they might hit the market.

Also hi sofubi thread, I've been lurking waiting for something extra cool to pop up.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Wait, wait, are you telling me everything here isn't extra cool!? :D

Haha, if only I had the budget and space to go full irresponsible mode! I'm being super judicious about everything figure related after getting into kokeshi dolls as well. That said, I did bite the bullet and paid the long buck for a sofubi on Ebay three days ago, and it's driving me nuts that the seller hasn't shipped it yet, I want it nao, etc etc.

I guess I'm gonna have to keep an eye on strangecattoys, myplasticheart, and manadrake at minimum from now on. Beside some I'm watching on Ebay, I almost bought the green dragon at the top of cat toy's site, but figured I should wait for my first ebay purchase before going ham on sofubis. I have a nasty habit of over buying when getting into a new collectible and I am not gonna do it yet again on this. So until my Ebay one comes in or Bell becomes available again I've got nothing to show unless soft vinyl pokemon finger puppets count: I have a pair of them.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

I dunno that ufo cat in the background is pretty neato too. And speaking of neato I finally got in the mail the best kaiju ever:

This is what sofubi perfection looks like :colbert:. Real talk though, I like the Konatsuya mode of "ordinary animal but it's a kaiju" because it's a nice entry point when you don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of all kaiju. Too many drat Negora varations though, but I can't be mad at them for making what sells.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh nice, thanks for telling me the name of it! I'll have to keep an eye out for ufo animals. I have yet to open the pandora's box of Yahoo Japan Auctions, so I just cruise english Ebay and see what over priced figures are out there. Or oddball stuff in general like this interesting kitsune listed by Mandarake or at least a seller purporting to be that shop. I can't decide if I like it or not, has a paint chip on the butt anyways. I keep hoping I get lucky like a friend of mine did with a really high end FF7 statue of Cloud on a motorcycle that was listed by a pawn shop with no clue what they had. She got a $300 statue for like $50 or something ridiculous like that because it was described as "spiky hair anime guy on motorcycle".

Vain hopes aside that King Negora is cool too, looks extra menacing looming over Abnyan! Probably one of the better King Negoras I've seen but Konatsuya has the pink colorways for spring pretty well perfected by now.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

LadyPictureShow posted:

I got Abnyan one of the bugs I posted earlier from T-Base https://www.tbasejpn.com They've got some real fun pieces, and oddballs.

They sold out of that Dennou Daiku you posted, but they have a few other kitsunes for much cheaper than that link.

Thanks, I'll add it to the rotation! Still being a picky bitch about my acquisitions: I got a real good counter offer on This robot on ebay, but I find that I'm not as wild about transparent moldings for some reason. In other ebay news, here's a nice lot somebody has that I'm only watching to see how far to the moon it goes. Already has a bidder panicking and upping their max bid like three times.

Also talk poo poo about Negora and he appears:

Not an especially notable or rare one (from the 2022 New Year's Lucky Bag I guess?) but it looks pretty sharp imho and was a decent price.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I think I might have seen those on instagram, but I didn't enter the lottery like a dumb rear end. I like the concept of the ufo, but like the look of the yokai lantern better. Both are still neat though!

Having a hell of a time rearranging my shelves because I have very disparate figures across a variety of mediums. None of it meshes well, but I wanna display them and only have the one spot to do so. :geno:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Dang that Sakura Jet Jaguar is the best colorway I've seen on this particular figure.

I don't even care about Jet Jaguar and I like that figure too, largely because of the color. I should hunt down that mst3k episode for old times sake at least.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I guess Sakura JJ goes online at 2pm CST today. I've pretty well talked myself out of it, but there's too many good figures out and about that the decision paralysis is real. Related, somebody do me a favor and buy this probably overpriced galaxy person so I can stop being tempted to.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
After importing stuff from Japan, $30 isn't great but doesnt feel as terrible as it used to for me. Granted when ordering from Japan it's Express mail these days, and it's kinda spooky how a package can get from there to me on the east coast of the US in a week or less. :tinfoil:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, shipping with Mondo has always been pretty pricey, it's kind of 'it is what it is' if you're that interested in the piece. It's funny I can justify it to myself for a sofubi or the occasional tiki mug for somebody, but a poster?! Oh heavens no, that's egregious! (Except the one time I had a free shipping code)

I snagged the Biollante ASAP, but it looks like both it and JJ are still in stock. Maybe I'll have forgotten all about the shipping price when it gets here... in February.

I can't tell if you're joking or not with the February thing, if not, ouch. Then again silly me preordered a game from Limited Run Games and god knows if that will show up ever. Might even be in February and then we can be shipping buddies? It's been two and a half hours since the Godzilla sofubis went up on Mondo I'm surprised they're still in stock tbh.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Yeah, haha. I'm dry on things to throw on ebay so I'll have to be more selective going forward. *sad first world problem noises*

:same: Though I'm still fixing to get those Skulltoys Magical Mystery Mushrooms somehow, haven't decided how I'll do it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
They're both stunning figures, but who's the cat in the foreground? Also I am reminded to take a pic of how much the collection has ballooned since I started in on this.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That’s Teke Cat by US Toys. I have zero idea if it’s from a series or just a cool cat Sofubi. I got it from Hakaba Gallery online. They also have a solid white one but I liked this milky translucent with calico colors better. It’s larger than I expected as well! Here’s a link https://store.hakabanogarou.jp/view/item/000000009465?category_page_id=ct105

Thanks for the link! And well, here's the damage so far:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

LadyPictureShow posted:

What's up, Bell buddy :v:

:whatup:

Yeah, I had to have one too and lucked out on an international site. I kinda prefer the first colorway to the second, so added bonus!

edit: Oh hey I just looked at Instagram and Shimomoku posted one of the prototype Bell designs (if I parsed google translate correctly). Neat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CglwZLEufl7/?hl=en

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 29, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

My basement / man cave / toyroom has been a WIP since we moved into this house last year, and these drat cabinets are the last major roadblock to getting it settled.

In a year or two I'll get to look forward to this problem: where I am currently I only have a couple shelves devoted to my nerd poo poo, but it's wildly disparate stuff: sofubi to kokeshi to plushies to anime figs. I feel better about it now because I whipped up some cheap display risers, so at least everything can be seen properly. No picture because I haven't had time, but in addition to reorganizing the shelves I now have half the Konatsuya owls!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

The Konatsuya owls are fun. How many of them are there in total?

As far as I know, four. I have the sakura and snowy colors. Theres a grey one I'm lukewarm about and the original brown that may have been a d-con exclusive. Maybe I'll get the others if they pop up, but I don't hold out much hope for the brown. And as an aside I still cannot believe the convention's name is shortened to d-con.

Edit: I finally took pics. Here is the full shelf of shameful nerd items for the curious. More of interest to this thread, owls:

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 11, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Woah I love that Lum- I have an Arale by the same company. Those are really cute style that rings well with me.

Also, speaking of cute- I really really hope I win the lottery for the Elephand and Shark- I've loved these sculpts so much for a while.

Thanks! I do have a "real" Lum statue currently off display but when I saw the 80s neon hair colorway... I picked the best pose of the three they've made. I of course found out about them when a friend gifted me the Inuyasha.

I then had a half hearted hope that qposkets would take over the world as they seem to be bandai's answer to funko pops, but pops seem to be dying on their own thankfully. (As hypocritical as it is that I own two; non humanoid characters seem to fare better in the style format.)

And that elephant and shark, there's a lion too as well from that maker right? I saw one that was sold while cruising through mandarake's site. Reminds me of the time when we did the same concept in a high school jewelry class: took elementary kid's drawings and made them in metal and gave them to the kids. Fun times!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Awwwww yeah, that's the poo poo. The one I saw might have been a transparent rainbow one, looks like there's a couple colorways all sold out by now. I kinda like the og color there better, I find I'm not totally into transparent sofubis anyways.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
This is up for preorder on the usual websites and I much as I love it, I cannot justify the money or space for it. :negative:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Here's my consolation prize from Mandarake for staying within my budget:

Turn the head 180 and bam! Two in one!

(Cough.)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I really like the look of that guy, and the colors are fun. I'm not sure how I feel about the asymmetrical wings, 😄.

Yeah I know what you mean, though I'm not all that bugged by them. It ticked too many of my other personal boxes anyways so I had to get it. Even the ones as dumb as wanting an orange colored figure. I like all the wacky stuff you can get from the small indie makers, though I probably wouldn't say no to a nice small Gigan figure or something. It's gotta work for me on an artistic level, not just a cool kaiju character.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm down for all of sofubi knowledge drops! I have definitely lost a few folks trying to explain this though.

Also, gat drat is this is perfect. Also, why are dudes with masks of tigers and other big cats so cool, haha!?

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChYvsKTrVLF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Oh gently caress I do love that the guy is beat up under the mask, this is so tempting.

Speaking of knowledge drops, this is putting the cart before the horse on my part, but what exactly is the paint used on these and how readily available is it? And must it be sent through an air gun? I may or may not win an auction with a blank figure (I've surely jinxed it now) and was thinking up ways to do customization other than hoping high quality acrylic paint sticks with any sort of permanance.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
gently caress, I have come to the conclusion there are too many good toys/figures, even with the rules I've set for myself to keep from buying them all. Like I thought real hard about this slightly morbid indie figure before talking myself out of it because it's resin and I was more than a little worried about breakability. Probably should also get off Stangecat's email list as they're super frequent and all the cutesy pie blind boxes are not my thing. Whatever sells I guess? Can't blame them for that really.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I will make a long post about it later.

Thank you muchly.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

^^^^ Dude. Gross. :confuoot: :cheeky:

Yeah! That one on the left is the one I've got my sights set on if I go for one of these, although seeing the picture again the blue may be the "best" colorway imo.

Edit: Sort of off topic, but I've watched all of Fireman in Japanese with no subtitles, haha. I just found that while on my TV the only subtitle option is Japanese, on my laptop I have the option to auto generate subtitles in English (among tons of other languages), so I can give this thing a watch and actually know what's going on to some degree.

Anyone who wants to give the show a shot it's located here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp0rcmJaL4iHtNGxGovLMPcnlQgOih22R

I've got a neato Fireman thing coming in the mail I'll post up when it arrives.

Good idea, I could use some background noise while I wrestle with my budget. Related to that, what do y'all think of Candie Bolton's work? I don't know if I want to spend the bucks on one of her big customs. And I'm sure you all know why this idea entered into my head today too.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I think her larger water monster in is pretty rad, and ild like to grab one someday. I also think it's pretty cool in general when someone has a recognizable style, and her paint work on sofubi is pretty instantly recognizable. She also appears to be a talented painter / drawer, but large boobed anime girls isn't my personal art subject of choice. YMMV!

Also, Seijin Shonen tiger dudes are showing up on people's hands, so it appears I did not win the lottery. *Sad lottery noises* haha

Yeah, I'm still struggling if I want to spend the money on a Bake Zame figure of hers because there is one and only one up for sale on the internet atm as far as I can tell. I do like the obnoxious rainbow colors and how she puts pattern shapes across the figures, but can also do without the big titty anime girls in her 2d work.

And lol the English auto subs were near useless for Fireman on YouTube, oh well.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Due to some crap that has been happening the past couple of months I've decided that I'm going to start figuring out what in my collection I'm going to keep and what I'm going to let go. It's mostly just getting down to what is important to me, I'm not going to stop collecting or anything. Most of what I sell will be going onto the Collect All Monsters Garage Sale page on FB. Probably starting in the next couple of weeks. I need to recover some $.

That sucks to hear, it's never fun when you have to sell parts of a collection versus wanting to sell bits. Hope things improve for you, and yeah think of it as making room for something more awesome later.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I was so excited about it, I didn't vet it first, haha. Yeah, not helpful at all...

Eh no big deal, I just sat back and basked in the glow of those Science Force uniforms, complete with bellbottoms. And speaking of the 70s looks like there's official free uploads of Godzilla movies on YouTube. It's looks to be a mix of subbed and dubbed, but I was finally able to watch Gigan's origin film as he's my personal favorite monster. Gamera has uploads too, but the offical ones are behind the paywall. Good thing there's a lot of unoffical ones, so I can fully appreciate again the alien's ship in Gamera vs. Viras.

Idk why I love that beach balls and hoola hoop thing soo much.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Those are some nice works by her, I love the tanuki's expression and the paint really compliments the rainbow on Alien Baltan too. I've held off on the Bake Zame for now as I was waffling about it too much, for all I know it's sold out now. Still browsing when I shouldn't be, and appreciating that science patrol's famous cone is simultaneously genius and the dumbest thing ever. I hate myself for wanting it, feels kinda consumerist in a way. Ice cream is the new god though judging by the reactions in discord to the new ice cream themed negoras revealed.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

(Instant cameras are fun).

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Holy awesome Batman! They still make poloroids? I would love to take photos this way again.

Also, that picture is dope.

Well they still do make Polaroids, I jumped ship to the Fuji Mini Instax pretty quickly for a couple of reasons. Modern polaroid is more expensive, you get fewer exposures in a film pack (8 to Fuji's 10 or, hell, old Polaroid gave you 10), I didn't like the color quality, and some on the internet have claimed that their new polaroid photos have faded, even when sitting in the dark inside an album. Yeah the Fuji film may be the size and proportions of a business card, but the plusses are much, much greater. You can even buy a little printer and beam pictures to it from your phone if you don't want the actual film camera for some reason.

Iirc the Fuji Instax Mini 11 camera (the newest model when I bought it last year) was $90 and each pack of film is $15 (or $12 if its on sale), and these things are everywhere. I got mine off of Amazon, but Target and Best Buy have them, and I've bought film from those stores if its on sale or has a fun border print.

And thanks! I need to use the camera more often.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 2, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It's a pickup party in here! I've just got a couple of doggos lately. Here's one looking wistful which you may have seen on Instagram:

In other news I thought about getting a Gigan figure but have no clue as to which one I like best, other than it must be the classic design and not Final Wars.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Nice doggo!

As for Gigan figures: you are in luck- it's Gigan's 50th anniversary - there will be lots of Gigans to choose from .

Thanks!

And oh hell, Gigan is that old isn't he? It explains the overflow of figures already. Totally unrelated but I've had it pointed out to me recently that M*A*S*H is 50 as well: I am not used to thinking of the 70s as being that long ago.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh lord that brings me back. Was that the first movie or the second that Reptar was crucial to the plot? I was young enough to have seen one of them in theaters at the time.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Those bubbles and the translucence really make that fish look more like glass, neat! And, well, yesterday I got a a new kaiju friend in the mail and finally took pics today.

I like the above one the best (nice and menacing!), but these give a better idea of what the figure is:

It's called Penta Zaurus, made by Sunguts, is from a series called Suddenly Kaiju, and is so old it's not on instagram and maybe not his website either. All of that info was pieced together from the ebay listing I bought it from, a random flickr photo and an old mandarake listing. Makes me wish there was a discogs level site for sofubi instead of the few scattered and incomplete wikis that are out there. Also there is apparently an actual pentasaurus dinosaur according to wikipedia, and it make sense for sunguts as apparently he's done other dino themed figures before. Still no idea why the prefix penta for either though; five what? I dunno if it's the bumpy texture on this one it's feels more like a toy more than an art object and that's a good thing imho, encourages posing. I even enjoy the toilet seat of the horns.

And finally the theme song/tl;dr to this post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0NuKvGcrpk

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Points of articulation, maybe? Neat dino.

Doesn't explain the actual pentasaurus dino though. Still a neat dino.

Anybody else miss out on the magical mystery mushroom sofubis by skulltoys? Myplasticheart had them and they sold out in a minute. I had them in may cart but wasn't fast enough to complete the sale. Still a little bummed but I'm coping.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Who was it in this thread that wanted the second purpley colorway of Shimomoku's Bell? ko-re ko-re has them.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Noice, Timera must be semi obscure because of the pandemic. I couldn't pull it up fast on google though most of the results were just people selling their shuttlegons anyways.

I know at home is a freshly arrived jack o lantern colored Negora I got on a discord deal, which brings me to my limit of no more than three of the same sculpt.* Gonna have to put myself into toy jail for a bit though with the holidays coming, at least until Sciene Patrol does a wide release of his newest figure: Eiseimaru.

*Obtaining a brown Fukuraus is the exception to this rule.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Elegab really seems to favor the monster driving another bigger monster thing doesn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I was supposed to chill for the rest of the year, but then sofubi perfection popped up. Even though there's a little paint wear, he doesn't balance well, and can barely hang on to his cheap flat plastic sheet fork, this is way better than whatever I said was perfect last time.