Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Finally in Tokyo after trying to come for years. Planning to keep any eye out for a sofubi to commemorate the trip. I don't have a specific thing in mind though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
I'm in Japan on a vacation with family and friends. First leg was in Tokyo and I was able to go see the new Godzilla and I picked up a few Godzilla sofubi from the theater they had for the movie. I'll share them back here when I'm in the US and can actually photo them better. We're spending 3 days in the Disney bubble and then heading to Kyoto and then Osaka each for a couple days.

I'm hoping to find something a bit more... weird in the realm of sofubi to remember the trip by. I love Godzilla stuff but I just want something that looks cool and I really know nothing about. Fingers crossed Osaka might work for that.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Sick, enjoy the trip! Did you like the movie?

U.S. Toys is somewhere in Osaka.

Trip has been great and I thought the movie was great.

I'll look up US toys and Jungle. Thanks!

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Does US Toy still actually have a storefront? I thought like Sunguts they don't actually run one anymore.

JUNGLE is easy to find when you are in DenDen Town: https://maps.app.goo.gl/81113Hbk14ReFg198. I also recommend the takoyaki shop GOONIES close by- they make good takoyaki and variants and their sign was designed by my friend Hori Benny. His shop, Invasion Club, is also nearby. It's a tattoo shop and clothing store for their own brand though, not sure if it would hold interest for you.

Edit: also for current sofubi toys from TOMY and Bandai etc just go into Yodobashi Camera or BIC Camera- they have floors dedicated to toys.

Thanks for this. We made it to DenDen Town and got to shop around. I didn't end up getting anything too crazy as the coolest stuff was a bit out of my price range. But I have a slew of Godzilla's closest jerks and an Ultraman. We fly back today.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If you fly out of Narita airport there is also a little toy shop that usually has a bunch of modern bandai sofubi for last minute buys. Also a decent row of gachapon for fun tchotchkes. And if you are hungry and ok with pork, there is a really good tonkatsu restaurant there.

We went from Osaka to a connection in Narita but we barely made the connection and I couldn't stop off. Thanks though and thank for the other pointers you shared here and elsewhere. The group consensus was that we will very much need to go back to Japan.

I made out ok on loot. These are the sofubi or sofubi adjacent things I picked up.

I saw some really cool non-IP based ones in a shop near Jungle (Hero something) but they were of course highly expensive since they were all after market prices.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
*sigh* There's something immediately addicting about these guys. Already shopping around...

I had a question though, while I've got a good sized action figure collection they mostly look fine on my current shelves. However, some of the sofubi I've got recently really would benefit from better lighting to highlight the reflective or translucent parts. Does anyone have undershelf or similar lighting they like for this?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I got that same clear and blue Godzilla tonight at a store here. I absolutely love it.

I also saw this one that I ultimately decided wasn't quite my colors but I wanted to share

That is a good one. It seemed like different shops had their own collection of colorways for those and I had to restrain myself from having a whole rainbow of smog monsters.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Hope folks that wanted it are getting them. Very cool but out of my current price range.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hedorah Hoarding is real and a dangerous condition.

Yes... you're right.

In my defense I had some surprise holiday cash and the Godzilla store is right there on the internet where anyone could trip over it.

I splurged a bit on this hobby this month. Going to Japan definitely drove up my excitement. I promise to behave in future.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
That is in fact my Gridman (and Dyna Dragon behind Hedorah) from when I was a kid. Though I had no idea it was from Gridman as it was rebranded as another property in the US. I never saw the show back then but constantly played with that thing.

The crystals are a couple of service awards from my job and I probably should have cropped the photo a bit.

I did not see the figure you mentioned (I don't think) but while trying to search for it I did see a cool cyborg bunny with weird faces in the ears.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Failson posted:

Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad! They got Tim Curry to voice the bad guy. Reversed for me, I never had any of the toys as a kid but the show was one of the better Power Rangers knockoffs.

That's it! Wow. I just watched Gridman this year all the way through, it's wild to see it recontextualized.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Arrived! My last Sofubi for the year- I pre-ordered this via lottery a few months back. Planet X Asia's Jugglus Juggler from Ultraman Orb (and this version is from a scene in Ultraman Z). This is the 2nd release of this figure- I missed the first one last year, but this metallic color way is closer to the suit used in the show.

Very cool. I watched most of orb this year and that's a really great execution of that design.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Failson posted:

Already missed a bunch of releases, but it looks like Bandai/CCP Co started a 5" Middle-size line of Toho kaiju. The prices aren't too bad, and some of the colorways are wild!

https://www.hlj.com/search/?Maker2=CCP+CO.+Ltd.&Page=1&SeriesID2=Godzilla

I saw that one with the mothra larva biting it's tail while I was in Japan but never saw a colorway I liked. But that Tropical one does look fun.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah he's slowed down on the releases a lot it seems, so less variants have been happening. I'm sure its due to the fact that there are a LOT more of each figure being released compared to the past (I believe well over 100 now- in the past he's released as little as a dozen iirc). I'd be interested to see if he ever does different color ways of Dokuro Taro and Ikari type since it's the main character. Maybe a metallic colorway?

Anyway, I entered the lottery for KOROSHIYAN-V

I got the invoice mail for this today. I have never bought from them before but it's a great design so I'm ready to give it a go.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Just got a KOROSHIYAN-V shipping notification. Pretty excited for that. Naturally shipping a bit before I'm going on a vacation. Fingers crossed it arrives before I go.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Arrived! It’s Elegab’s newest figure COROSHIYAN-V! This one really is weird and gives me more of a tokusatsu alien feel than the last one did (even though I loved that as well)

I like that the right arm is the last 2 fingers of the hand and the big eye is a wild touch

Good stuff! It also comes with an alternative hand for the left arm that I haven’t tried yet (he included an illustrated instruction sheet saying the glove is really tight so you have to use a hair dryer to soften the vinyl to take it off and switch it). Enter the Dragon claw!

The card that comes with it announced that the next release will the the 18th Danchira colorway. Unless it’s a red one I will probably pass as I have a colorway I love of it.

Nice! Looks great. Mine us waiting in a postal hold since I'm out of town. Looking forward to it.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Color me intrigued.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
I didn't try this time. Looks good but I need to be selective for space reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
I'm not a completionist at all but I have to admit if I'd known that I probably would have gone for it.