Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's true they all suck. Apple ones too. All of them suck. Weak hinges. Bad displays. Bad software. Bad software. Bad software. I had one computer that would make the colors look like complete poo poo on battery (a Samsung) just so they could pretend to compete with Apples runtime levels. Like for fucks sake. My present one is a Razer that has it's speaker grill coming off (it's pretty much a sticker). My Lenovo had an awful display. (that model had two different display manufacturers, hope you got the better one LOL).

Oh and mac fans? I had an mac at one point (well I had ones even earlier but those don't count) and I suppose the laptop itself was fine, but the durability of the magsafe? Hmmm not so much. Also the touch bar in the new ones? L.O.L. At one point the keyboards were super duper bad.

Anyway thinking about buying a new laptop that'll fall apart in like 2 years.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
:wrong:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I’m gonna get one of those hot new M1x or M2 mbps that are coming soon. As long as they put more than 8 gigs of ram in the dang thing.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
so make a better one bitch

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rahu posted:

I’m gonna get one of those hot new M1x or M2 mbps that are coming soon. As long as they put more than 8 gigs of ram in the dang thing.

More ram? Ohhh well ram is awfully expensive you see so we have to charge you all of the money for more ram, you understand right?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
only ONE screen?

a computer for IDIOTS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my laptop is fine, OP

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

we get dell laptops through work, and I can confirm that they're build qaulity is poo poo. Luckily I just make the IT department fix it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

my laptop is fine, OP

Just because something is less trash doesn't make it not trash.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Duck and Cover posted:

It's true they all suck. Apple ones too. All of them suck. Weak hinges. Bad displays. Bad software. Bad software. Bad software. I had one computer that would make the colors look like complete poo poo on battery (a Samsung) just so they could pretend to compete with Apples runtime levels. Like for fucks sake. My present one is a Razer that has it's speaker grill coming off (it's pretty much a sticker). My Lenovo had an awful display. (that model had two different display manufacturers, hope you got the better one LOL).

Oh and mac fans? I had an mac at one point (well I had ones even earlier but those don't count) and I suppose the laptop itself was fine, but the durability of the magsafe? Hmmm not so much. Also the touch bar in the new ones? L.O.L. At one point the keyboards were super duper bad.

Anyway thinking about buying a new laptop that'll fall apart in like 2 years.

ok.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You suck op

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the gently caress did you expect op? a desktop pc is designed the way they are for a reason. if they could make a laptop with the same kind of longevity and durability that a desktop has they would only make laptops. they suck because the compromise is that they're extremely portable

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

Just because something is less trash doesn't make it not trash.

I mean, all consumer goods are eventually trash, but it does what I ask of it

If I was trying to do more than it could do that would make me trash

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

$2000 laptop with the cheapest speakers and wireless card. Power connection will break if there is too much force on the cable.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just buy refurbished 5-10 yo laptop and reinstall os every other year

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

my laptop doesn't suck which is why i gotta give myself handies OP.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

MSI GT70 2OC-402 still working like a champ after 7 1/2 years. This laptop is amazing.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

this is why u should buy a few years old thinkpad and then install a linux and spend lots of time telling people about your thinkpad

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

We removed the Ethernet port and numpad. That'll be an additional $300 please.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
Laptops have gone from moderately crap to honestly a scam in the last decade, like the last three my husband and I have bought ended up unusable within the years. After the last $1000 one died, I bought a $300 Lenovo that is perfectly adequate for anything that's not gaming or complex Blender rendering. I'll build a desktop for those purposes as sun as graphics card prices come back down to earth (lol).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

OP, when I said Dell laptops suck, I wasn't trying to say your laptop doesn't suck. Of course all laptops suck. We're just trying to build awareness and start reforms to benefit a brand of laptops that has historically been overlooked despite sucking disproportionately.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
First off what is a laptop? I emulate all off them.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

purplestuffedworm posted:

Laptops have gone from moderately crap to honestly a scam in the last decade, like the last three my husband an I have bought ended up unusable within the years. After the last $1000 died, I bought a $300 Lenovo that is perfectly adequate for anything that's not gaming or complex Blender rendering. I'll build a desktop for those purposes as sun as graphics card prices come back down to earth (lol).

Yeah, I never spend more than $700 on a laptop and they last me years.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

looking forward to the day when I buy a laptop that is just a floating cube with no ports on it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My home laptop was $280 like six years ago, got the free Win10 upgrade and I put in some ram a buddy had laying around and an SSD that was on sale for like $40 and it's great for my needs

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If you are actually looking for a good laptop the SH/CH thread should be able to get you rolling. (If your use case is common you can probably even lurk the model number) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

If we are just making fun of how a good 90% of laptops are worthless pieces of poo poo carry on.

Seriously I loving hate touching any laptop any family member says they are having problems with. Why did you pick this it's flimsy and looks like you could knock it over when you sigh at yet another out of memory error because they soldered in 2x2GB locking you into 4GB forever.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

OP, when I said Dell laptops suck, I wasn't trying to say your laptop doesn't suck. Of course all laptops suck. We're just trying to build awareness and start reforms to benefit a brand of laptops that has historically been overlooked despite sucking disproportionately.

That's fair I didn't mean to dilute your message by suggesting other laptops suck too.

pixaal posted:

If you are actually looking for a good laptop the SH/CH thread should be able to get you rolling. (If your use case is common you can probably even lurk the model number) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

If we are just making fun of how a good 90% of laptops are worthless pieces of poo poo carry on.

Seriously I loving hate touching any laptop any family member says they are having problems with. Why did you pick this it's flimsy and looks like you could knock it over when you sigh at yet another out of memory error because they soldered in 2x2GB locking you into 4GB forever.

As I recall they were the idiots who thought the Lenovo Thinkpad had an acceptable display. I tend to do my research it's just my standards are apparently too high. I'm thinking another Surface product, or Lenovo or maybe the Frameworks one. Might just wait this computer still works, although something is making my touchpad hard to click and I don't feel like trying to fix it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 12, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

purplestuffedworm posted:

Laptops have gone from moderately crap to honestly a scam in the last decade, like the last three my husband and I have bought ended up unusable within the years. After the last $1000 one died, I bought a $300 Lenovo that is perfectly adequate for anything that's not gaming or complex Blender rendering. I'll build a desktop for those purposes as sun as graphics card prices come back down to earth (lol).

Big fan of the Lenovo Thinkpad T series with metal frame. I've watched one be chucked like a frisby all while still streaming a youtube video hit a wall take out a chunk of brick and land open still playing the drat video like nothing happened. Laptop damages: scuff mark. I laugh at your Apple Care this thing doesn't need coverage. (I'm sure someone could find a way to destroy one)

At least as far as using a laptop, nothing gives the freedom of that full desktop experience or the mobility of the phone. What is the point of a laptop?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ThinkPad T series and W series are still good. Plus they have user upgradable ram and user replaceable batteries.

Also they have God's mouse: the trackpoint nub

And unlike Crapple they still have USB ports, ethernet ports, and SD card slots.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

ThinkPad T series and W series are still good. Plus they have user upgradable ram and user replaceable batteries.

Also they have God's mouse: the trackpoint nub

And unlike Crapple they still have USB ports, ethernet ports, and SD card slots.

Trackpoint nubs do indeed rule.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Back in the day before touchpads I had a laptop that had a trackball on the EDGE, like 90 degrees from the keyboard in the middle, under the spacebar, facing the user.

You could thumb that sucker while typing and it was great and I loved it and now I can't even find a picture of one.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
poo poo on a laptop then close it :twisted:

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Duck and Cover posted:

Trackpoint nubs do indeed rule.

Its how I practice my clit licking technique

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Our IBM Thinkpad 310 kinda works pretty good for a laptop from the late 90s. It just has to be plugged in because the nickel rechargeable battery is dead.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I like my 16 inch MacBooks pro

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

best computer I ever owned was my 2013 15 inch though.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my laptop has neer sucked me off

not even once

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

bossy lady posted:

looking forward to the day when I buy a laptop that is just a floating cube with no ports on it

A cube... if it's gonna be a lappy-topy floatjig of the future why not buy one that's a 4D tetrahedron or an ominously humming obelisk?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

bossy lady posted:

err thats old tech. new laptops will be implants in our neck that allows us to HACK THE PLANET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
gonna have to agree with the op

jk, YOU suck