Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Maybe your laptop would last longer if you stopped jizzing on it, OP? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

My work laptop has 3 USB-C ports and nothing else. It's ok when you plug it into a $250 docking station that needs its own gigantic heat sink and fan

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You call it a laptop yet it sits on my desk, curious

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time
This is true, spent way too much on a laptop for gaming not even a year ago and the screen is about to pop off from a crack in the hinge

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Op is a dumb smelly idiot and a constant disappointment to his parents

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Skeleton Ape posted:

My work laptop has 3 USB-C ports and nothing else. It's ok when you plug it into a $250 docking station that needs its own gigantic heat sink and fan

Lol

98% of USB stuff I get or come across are still the old style USB port. This forceful removal of normal USB ports brought on by Apple is loving hilarious.

Yes they were right about getting rid of floppy drives and disc drives but this isn't even remotely the same thing. I still have yet to come across a USB-C thumb drive, hard drive, or printer even once in my entire life.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
2 ibooks or macbooks or whatever they are called or were called have lasted me a combined 18 years. i only had to replace the first one after 8-9 years cause i drunkenly threw up on it while i was browsing you know how it is. second one is 8-9 years old now and still going alright. it's lookin a little gross but i mean what white thing you touch a lot isn't gonna look gross almost a decade later

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Lol

98% of USB stuff I get or come across are still the old style USB port. This forceful removal of normal USB ports brought on by Apple is loving hilarious.

Yes they were right about getting rid of floppy drives and disc drives but this isn't even remotely the same thing. I still have yet to come across a USB-C thumb drive, hard drive, or printer even once in my entire life.

I work with embedded hardware and need like a dozen old rear end USB things connected at any given time.

On the one hand I'm pretty impressed by how much just one these newfangled ports can handle (power, two monitors, Ethernet, etc.). But a desktop would be better and cheaper and very much less stupid.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My two laptops were an older ZenBook UX303 which was amazing. After like seven years I needed a new one and it got relegated to media centre duty (and then stolen with everything else a week ago).

It's replacement was a ZenBook UX425. It's also really amazing. I haven't had any problems and the design is light, small but sturdy. I'm not an action-laptop user tho so maybe if you're careening down a mountain it's different?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

My two laptops were an older ZenBook UX303 which was amazing. After like seven years I needed a new one and it got relegated to media centre duty (and then stolen with everything else a week ago).

It's replacement was a ZenBook UX425. It's also really amazing. I haven't had any problems and the design is light, small but sturdy. I'm not an action-laptop user tho so maybe if you're careening down a mountain it's different?

I had a ASUS Zenbook UX31. Maybe it was alright I don't remember.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My ThinkPad owns so much. 3 USB ports, a USB C thunderbolt port, a full size ethernet port, touch screen yet matte display, an SD card slot, a full size hdmi port, TWO batteries (and even the internal one takes ten seconds to swap out), upgradable ram slots, upgradable wifi card slot, a WWAN slot for a SECOND internal hard drive, and even a DC charging port that is user replaceable for $14 if it breaks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing I really miss in laptops were the pcmcia or express card slots. I'm really pissed they did away with those because it made laptops future proof (maybe that's why they got rid of them? :conspiracy:

It was so cool how if a new standard came out, your old laptop could accept it. There's really no way to get FireWire working on a new laptop these days.

Edit: I also remember really liking Fujitsu laptops in the early to mid 00s. I never had one but I knew a few people who did and they were always really unique, rugged, and they always had top notch screens and keyboards. Not to mention they too had a trackpoint. Now I just looked them up and their laptops look like hot garbage.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 14, 2021

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Actually OP laptops are extremely good because they help me in my quest to compress the sum total of my belongings into a rucksack and a suitcase.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
My current laptop can't really play Vidya game unless they are like legal drinking age but it has a full keyboard with a number pad. I really like the number pad and use it all the time. I can even make the keyboard light up when it's dark - fancy!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Linus recently reviewed the Framework fully upgradeable laptop, and was so impressed he ordered one after reviewing it... apparently something he does rarely, if ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rkTgPt3M4k

They're so in demand that you have to preorder them.
https://frame.work/

I'm planning on getting one in 2024, ready for when Windows 10 ceases to receive security updates in 2025. Hopefully by then they'll be shipping to Australia so I don't have to smeg around with a reshipper and face possible warranty complications.

They're not cheap, but hey, fully upgradeable.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i like taking my laptop to the bar and getting all vaped up and drunk while playing video games

free wifi and people walking by all confused while i yell out artillery strikes in Insurgency

sometimes i watch anime too

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

syntaxfunction posted:

Sup Zenbook buddy. Had mine for 4 years now (forget the exact model) and totally happy with it. I hope they maintain the quality for when I'm ready to buy another one.

As a side note, I got mine in the matte screen version, which everyone should try. It's so much better than dealing with glass screen reflections.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i have a G5 5500 idk what that means my brother gave me this

also i just learned how to turn my touch pad off gently caress yeah

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i don't understand trackpoints. a nipple in the middle of the keyboard which is a mouse except you have to treat it like an analogue stick with 500% resistance. i don't know what it's for.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cyril Sneer posted:

As a side note, I got mine in the matte screen version, which everyone should try. It's so much better than dealing with glass screen reflections.

I always get a matte screen. I don't understand why anyone would want a glossy screen. The light on the table next to me would make it terrible.

Although I got a new laptop for school about a month ago and it has a glossy screen and that blows. But it's a hybrid touchscreen so I guess it's necessary.

Also, the "turn on your monitor" joke doesn't work on me. :smug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

roomtone posted:

i don't understand trackpoints. a nipple in the middle of the keyboard which is a mouse except you have to treat it like an analogue stick with 500% resistance. i don't know what it's for.

You set the sensitivity to the highest and mouse speed to almost max and it's practically like you're moving your mouse by just concentrating on where you want it to go and it moves itself like an Ouija board.

You also don't need to move your finger back to the beginning just because you got to the end of the trackpad

And finally you can use the mouse without even having to move your hands off of home row

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Stop complaining

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My ThinkPad owns so much. 3 USB ports, a USB C thunderbolt port, a full size ethernet port, touch screen yet matte display, an SD card slot, a full size hdmi port, TWO batteries (and even the internal one takes ten seconds to swap out), upgradable ram slots, upgradable wifi card slot, a WWAN slot for a SECOND internal hard drive, and even a DC charging port that is user replaceable for $14 if it breaks.

Yeah, I have one of these for work and the thing is fuckin' bulletproof. OP should stop buying TRASH LAPTOPS (slams gavel on bench)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
During the COVID isolation I was teaching from home. I needed two computers, so I had the school computer and I bought a cheapo HP. The setup worked okay, but when I got my new telescope, the HP was not powerful enough to do the image processing I needed. So I bought a top of the line laptop. It even can do ray tracing on Minecraft and play other games. It's fun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
get a real computer op

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
come sit on my laptop op

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Bad software. Bad software. Bad software.

This is true

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

Linus recently reviewed the Framework fully upgradeable laptop, and was so impressed he ordered one after reviewing it... apparently something he does rarely, if ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rkTgPt3M4k

They're so in demand that you have to preorder them.
https://frame.work/

I'm planning on getting one in 2024, ready for when Windows 10 ceases to receive security updates in 2025. Hopefully by then they'll be shipping to Australia so I don't have to smeg around with a reshipper and face possible warranty complications.

They're not cheap, but hey, fully upgradeable.

The framework is definitely one I'm considering. Like I think they actually care about creating something that isn't complete garbage which definitely appeals to me.

Khanstant posted:

get a real computer op

Oh a desktop? My 3080 can handle Legion TD 2 annnnd Storybook Brawl. (maybe even at the same time if I wanted!) Pretty amazing, yes?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 14, 2021

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I fix computers as a job. Laptops all suck. The least worst ones are the used "sales guy" laptops.

The ones that are pretty good not great in every way and marketed towards business and reliability. Probook 430ish, Latitude laptops, t series lenovo. Corporate buyers love these. They get resold super cheap.

You can usually fix them easy, and since yours is one of multiple thousands sold you can just buy an identical one as a backup so you don't crumble into the ground when your water bottle opens in your bag.

loving love my gen 3 probook 430

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

verbal enema posted:

i like taking my laptop to the bar and getting all vaped up and drunk while playing video games

free wifi and people walking by all confused while i yell out artillery strikes in Insurgency

sometimes i watch anime too

My wife was a manager at a bar that had a back room and I'd get a couple ppl over there for LAN parties.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Smartphones are at a point where we don't need a laptop to jerk off in bed.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fuckslops

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

down1nit posted:

I fix computers as a job. Laptops all suck. The least worst ones are the used "sales guy" laptops.

The ones that are pretty good not great in every way and marketed towards business and reliability. Probook 430ish, Latitude laptops, t series lenovo. Corporate buyers love these. They get resold super cheap.

You can usually fix them easy, and since yours is one of multiple thousands sold you can just buy an identical one as a backup so you don't crumble into the ground when your water bottle opens in your bag.

loving love my gen 3 probook 430

How loving dare you have the audacity to repair laptops. When they go bad you're suppose to chuck them out and buy a new one or get them repaired at dumb prices by your laptop manufacturer. I kind of wonder how much Razer would have charged to repair my speaker grill sticker, that they weren't willing to just sell me.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
The new craple crap tops are going to be win. My 2012 crapple crap retina 15 inch crap top is still going strong

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

epic 2012 username posted:

The new craple crap tops are going to be win. My 2012 crapple crap retina 15 inch crap top is still going strong

I'd say the odds are in favor of it being a decent laptop but there's always a chance they pull another lovely keyboard out of nowhere. But but but it's thinner! Wait I know they'll have no headphone port or did they get rid of that already?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

nesamdoom posted:

My wife was a manager at a bar that had a back room and I'd get a couple ppl over there for LAN parties.

gently caress yeah that owns

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

verbal enema posted:

gently caress yeah that owns

Ewww interacting with people in person? No thanks.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Buying a laptop and being "ripped off" honestly says more about you than laptops.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Boner M posted:

Buying a laptop and being "ripped off" honestly says more about you than laptops.

Wow look at the moron idiot incapable of understanding that all laptops suck. Maybe consider being smarter before posting? Hmmm? Okay thanks! Like it's there in the title I don't know how you missed it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
My laptop is ten years old and good, though i can't put in more ram than 8 gigs and it can only fit one disk and it only has usb 2 so external disks are a bit slow. I'll replace it soonish but lol @ having a computer you can't put in your backpack tbh