Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mooey Cow posted:

My laptop is ten years old and good, though i can't put in more ram than 8 gigs and it can only fit one disk and it only has usb 2 so external disks are a bit slow. I'll replace it soonish but lol @ having a computer you can't put in your backpack tbh

If it's a ThinkPad there's a good chance it will take more ram. I have a t420 that supposedly caps out at 8gb but it took 16 just fine. Never listen to max spec sheets. My current ThinkPad (T25) says max ram is 32gb but it took 64 just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
ThinkPads and latitudes own, I've had a few used ones over the years

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Duck and Cover posted:

Ewww interacting with people in person? No thanks.

It's not like we had to look at each other, yuck. Bonus that my wife had to bring me drinks when I called for one and I didn't have to do it myself.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

If it's a ThinkPad there's a good chance it will take more ram. I have a t420 that supposedly caps out at 8gb but it took 16 just fine. Never listen to max spec sheets. My current ThinkPad (T25) says max ram is 32gb but it took 64 just fine.

Even if that would work, I haven't been able to find ram modules bigger than 4 gb and it only has two slots.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I just stuffed a 32 GB module in the single socket in my P14s, for a total of 48GB. It's neat - and will be useful for what I do with it.

It's mildly annoying that the only version that was in stock was a 6-core with the touch screen; I wanted an 8-core with the much brighter and better non-touch panel. Oh well, not worth waiting two months for. Besides, it's still remarkably fast - and the onboard graphics are actually fast enough to play some games.

I do hate the new clip-on bottom covers though; they're far too easy to damage when prying them apart.

It's also a bit weird how the P14s is identical to the T14 - I have a gen1 T14 and a gen2 P14s, and they use the same service manual. The only real difference seems to be that the P14s comes with the pro certified Radeon drivers, Windows Pro, and 3 years on-site service. And they had it in stock where my employer orders from.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 15, 2021

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

my macbook gets too hot. i turn it on and if i do anything at all it just gets surface-of-the-sun nuclear hot. If I mention this to anyone they will trip over themselves to tell me "That's Weird" and "Doesn't Happen To Me" "Did you check your task manager?" "Huh that's so weird. I've decided this isn't happening to you because it goes against my core computing fantasies."

Yea they all suck

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
my work MacBook is like that. it's ol and has one of those long as cords that doesn't charge half the time and the square thing in the middle of it gets boiling hot as well.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
My laptop got super hot once, so I opened it up and cleaned out the fan and now it doesn't get so hot no more.

Speaking of, new laptops don't look like they have fans. Or even screws to open them up. Are they all put together like piece of poo poo tablets these days that are a complete pain in the rear end to open and possibly glued shut?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My partners late 2013 Pro does that - but it helps a lot if you find a way to disable turbo boost on the CPU. The older intel laptop CPUs seem to be a lot less power efficient when allowed to overclock up to their thermal limits.

He wrote a blog post about it that might be useful.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

kntfkr posted:

my work MacBook is like that. it's ol and has one of those long as cords that doesn't charge half the time and the square thing in the middle of it gets boiling hot as well.

That sounds like corrosion on the connectors - they corrode faster when they are hot, and they heat up more when corroded (because the oxides aren't great conductors), so it's kind of self propagating. Try rubbing the pins and connector down with contact cleaner?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I'm still using my mid 2013 macbook air and it works perfectly fine for watching videos, internet browsing, etc. I've replaced the battery twice now and upgraded the SSD from 128 gb to 1 tb but otherwise it's been completely maintenance free.

It's light and old enough that I just kind of throw it around without worry. If I want/need more power I can just use my desktop.

Basically if you want to get a laptop that doesn't suck, get the lightest one you can that doesn't have/use the fan, and only get the bare minimum processing power you can live with so that it never heats up either. Also if it's a mac know how to downgrade the OS and be prepared for it. I'm using the version before big sur or whatever because it turns my laptop in to a fireball while doing literally nothing that this one can't. Don't ever get the base amount of ram though.

I never imagined when I bought this that I'd be still using it 8 years later. If it ever bites the dust I'll get another air and hopefully use that for a long rear end time too.

hell astro course posted:

my macbook gets too hot. i turn it on and if i do anything at all it just gets surface-of-the-sun nuclear hot. If I mention this to anyone they will trip over themselves to tell me "That's Weird" and "Doesn't Happen To Me" "Did you check your task manager?" "Huh that's so weird. I've decided this isn't happening to you because it goes against my core computing fantasies."

Yea they all suck

If it's an older one get rid of big sur and go back to uhh catalina or whatever.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

laptops became good when SSDs became standard on them

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I hear the new M1 Airs are good, and I think they're entirely passively cooled- which I guess may be beneficial in a laptop you plan to use for light workloads for many years?

One other maintenance thing - intel apparently recommends that you replace the thermal paste every few years, because the thermal cycling pumps it out from where it should be, which makes the cooling work notably worse.

We checked the aforementioned late 2013 macbook Pro a while ago, and it really did look kind of bad; anecdotally it did seem to work better/cooler with new thermal paste. (There is a relevant blog post about that as well, but posting it feels a bit too spammy.)

Here's an image I took at the time:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mooey Cow posted:

My laptop got super hot once, so I opened it up and cleaned out the fan and now it doesn't get so hot no more.

Speaking of, new laptops don't look like they have fans. Or even screws to open them up. Are they all put together like piece of poo poo tablets these days that are a complete pain in the rear end to open and possibly glued shut?

You need a heat gun and a spudger to work on an Apple laptop lol

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Replacing paste can be useful, if you use good stuff when you install it it should be good for a decade but who builds a laptop? Who tears down a laptop for maintenance? (They never close the same again) If your already in there for something else though sure.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Old macbook pros are fine - it's just screws and a metal panel resting on a flat metal edge, so it comes apart and back together easily and with no damage.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Had to replace a cracked screen on a new Dell Inspirion. The screen was ultra fragile and thin AF. Some of the craziest construction I've seen on any electronics.

It was held on with double sided tape and the flimsy plastic bevel over the top of the edges with zero screws and two arms made out of Chinesium (weakest faux metal known to man) that could rotate individually causing the weak screen to flex and cracked under stress... plus the flexible plastic top that does little to protect or support the screen.

Dear computer companies, glue and tape are not valid means to hold together a computer that gets super hot to the touch...

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

My 2007 MacBook Pro still runs. It won't let me install anything, but it probably could!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

My 2011 mbp that I gave away to family is still nicer to use than the 2018 core i9 mbp that I have now because the goddamn fan spins up anytime I do something more intense than loading a webpage (like loading two webpages). Yeah the 2011 is a bit slower, but I was also able to upgrade the RAM and install an SSD unlike the modern one, so there's not that much difference unless you want to run a game or build/render stuff. And due to the fans, those are unpleasant work activities without noise canceling headphones and an external keyboard and mouse to avoid burns. It's only 3 years old and I already want to sell it and get a fanless m1. Of course the moment I do that I know something at work will come up that requires an x86 VM.

The one nice thing I can say about the 2018 model is that I love the feel of the extremely unpopular and failure prone butterfly keyboard and will be sad to say goodbye to it.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

For the mac people here, if you have too much money and like burning it you can just send me some instead. I'm cool with that.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Let's watch Linus see if he can upgrade the ram in a Surface Laptop Studio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wwbo731jOQ&t=755s.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’d really like a laptop or tablet that has as much pressure sensitivity as a wacom tablet and can run photoshop that would be fun

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Skeleton Ape posted:

My 2007 MacBook Pro still runs. It won't let me install anything, but it probably could!

Another reason Mac is Wack. I can take a Windows computer from 1997 and install whatever the gently caress I want on it.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Away all Goats posted:

laptops became good when SSDs became standard on them

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
lol if you dont reinstall the OS to clear out all the bloatware as soon as you buy a laptop

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

hell astro course posted:

Yea they all suck

Mine (2020) does this too. Great in winter!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tarkus posted:

For the mac people here, if you have too much money and like burning it you can just send me some instead. I'm cool with that.

Eh. Comparing similar specs, a macbook isn't noticeably more expensive than the Thinkpads I buy myself, and I have to admit that they seem to remain usable for longer than most PC laptops.

Of course, Apple has some outright money grabs, and I'm sure their margins are very comfortable. But the idea that their laptops are a silly waste of money doesn't really hold up.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the "apple tax" these days is on upgrading the ram or storage. the base price of most of their laptops and phones are pretty reasonable for the performance and quality, but it escalates very quickly. but yeah, if you cross shop well made PC laptops (surface laptop, thinkpad, maybe xps), the prices are pretty similar with the PCs only being cheaper sometimes on the high-end upgrade fees.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

this is why u should buy a few years old thinkpad and then install a linux and spend lots of time telling people about your thinkpad

this is what i did and it was good. plus a cheap no name mSATA is like 30 bones

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Bad Purchase posted:

the "apple tax" these days is on upgrading the ram or storage. the base price of most of their laptops and phones are pretty reasonable for the performance and quality, but it escalates very quickly.

Very true, and it hasn't exactly gotten better with the "everything is on the SOC so you better get everything you need on day one" M1 models.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Computer viking posted:

That sounds like corrosion on the connectors - they corrode faster when they are hot, and they heat up more when corroded (because the oxides aren't great conductors), so it's kind of self propagating. Try rubbing the pins and connector down with contact cleaner?

yeah that generally works. it's one of those deals where there's a magnetic adaptor piece between the cord and the computer and it's been working ok as of late.

my company sent me a new laptop but now it's been like 3 or 4 months that I haven't done anything with it and feels kinda awkward to call up IT about setting up the VPN & remote access at this point lol

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Another reason Mac is Wack. I can take a Windows computer from 1997 and install whatever the gently caress I want on it.

Yeah, at one point it decided the next OS update was incompatible because its model number was too old. I don't think there was any technical reason preventing it. Let me use my laughably old things Crapple :argh:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

hotdog feet posted:

gonna have to agree with the op

jk, YOU suck

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I got a high end gaming Asus laptop for my job and it's :krad:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My main laptop right now is a Dell G7 15 7500 gaming laptop that I got last year (and got all warranty upgrades this time). I really like it. I can play any game I want on max settings and when it gets hot, which it does, it has a nice little gamer button thing that I can press and it turns all of the fans on max. Although it also throws some heated racial slurs at me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My main laptop right now is a Dell G7 15 7500 gaming laptop that I got last year (and got all warranty upgrades this time). I really like it. I can play any game I want on max settings and when it gets hot, which it does, it has a nice little gamer button thing that I can press and it turns all of the fans on max. Although it also throws some heated racial slurs at me.

Hmmm dedicated button for max fans does sound useful. Lots of computers are like "heeeeey you don't mine if the thing near your genitals is a bit hot do you?". I'd prefer it without the racial slurs though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a desktop for focused work, like if I need to sit down and doing audio work or whatever. My laptop (that I'm posting this on) is my usual computer tho. It's awesome. Just chilling in the lounge, watching a housemate play games and if I want I can go on the balcony and do coding while seeing birds in trees and poo poo.

I guess it makes sense to hate laptops if you're an antisocial shutin tho.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

naem posted:

I’d really like a laptop or tablet that has as much pressure sensitivity as a wacom tablet and can run photoshop that would be fun

I'm using a samsung galaxy something tablet right now that has a wacom pen with 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity or some poo poo like that. It's the same technology as in wacom tablets so it doesn't need a battery or anything. Unfortunately all mobile drawing apps suck unbelievable amounts of rear end, it's ridiculous.

naem
May 29, 2011

Mooey Cow posted:

I'm using a samsung galaxy something tablet right now that has a wacom pen with 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity or some poo poo like that. It's the same technology as in wacom tablets so it doesn't need a battery or anything. Unfortunately all mobile drawing apps suck unbelievable amounts of rear end, it's ridiculous.

everything other than photoshop is terrible, adobe the company is also terrible

a necessary evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

the "apple tax" these days is on upgrading the ram or storage. the base price of most of their laptops and phones are pretty reasonable for the performance and quality, but it escalates very quickly. but yeah, if you cross shop well made PC laptops (surface laptop, thinkpad, maybe xps), the prices are pretty similar with the PCs only being cheaper sometimes on the high-end upgrade fees.

Meanwhile my thinkpad T25 came with 16gb of RAM and I upgraded it to 64GB of RAM for a grand total of $190 lmao

I am pretty sure that upgrade would have been about $700 extra on a Mac (if they even offered it).

Skeleton Ape posted:

Yeah, at one point it decided the next OS update was incompatible because its model number was too old. I don't think there was any technical reason preventing it. Let me use my laughably old things Crapple :argh:

A couple of things that ensured I will never buy an Apple product again:

1) my wife had an iPhone and I tried to add a single MP3 from a CD I ripped. It was "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" because my only daughter at the time was obsessed with the song. After attempting to add a single MP3 to her phone for 4 hours I gave up as the only solution according to Apple was to "sync" the phone which would wipe out every single piece of data on her phone just so I could add a single MP3. On my Android phone I literally dragged and dropped it to a folder and it was there.

2) We were at my wife's friend's house and she knew I was a computer nerd so she asked me why she couldn't get her photos off of her iPhone onto her iMac. I hosed around on her computer for the better part of 2 hours. iTunes said it would not connect to the phone because it was an old version of iTunes. When I went to update iTunes, it said it could not be updated because the OS was out of date. When I tried to update the OS, it said it could not because the hardware was not compatible. Keep in mind that for years she had no problems using iTunes to get her photos. Apple just arbitrarily determined they no longer wanted her to be allowed to do that.

3) We have an old iPad 3rd gen (the one before the Air) and wanted to use it for my kids since we weren't using it any more and it turns out you cannot even browse websites on it any more. Safari says it's too out of date and there's no new updates for it. We even tried different browsers in the App store like Dolphin and Chrome and got the same bullshit. Meanwhile I dug out my Windows 98 laptop and I can browse the web just fine on it lmao.

4) My wife's mom had a MacBook, I don't remember how old it was but it was the last one to have a disc drive. Anyway the thing should be perfectly capable of browsing the web but nope, Safari is part of the loving operating system update (instead of being a program you can just download) and the thing was essentially a paperweight for her.

I really don't understand how people put up with this poo poo. Yeah Windows is kinda annoying with their terrible update system but goddamn Apple is actually hostile towards their customers. And imagine having to carry around a dongle for every single stupid scenario like USB-A, HDMI, SD cards, etc. It completely defeats the purpose of having a super thin portable laptop. It's the same line of thinking that they make their phones as thin as possible while having a quarter inch thick camera bump.