Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Apple is a lot like Nintendo. They seem to actively hate their customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I have an Acer Aspire model E from I think 2014.

At this point, the screen has detached completely with a few wires still connected to the laptop. I tuck it under the laptop when I use it, and I have a big monitor plugged into the HDMI port. The laptop has been through hell, it's crazy beat up, but it completely works still. I'm impressed with it. 256 gig HD, something like 4 or 8 RAM, etc, it's doing fine still. I was able to run Alien: Isolation in max settings so it's just trucking along still, even with a broken-off screen.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
The Thinkpad T530 I bought more than eight years ago is still intact and works well. That's after five years of intensive daily use and three years of travel use. The original battery even still holds several hours worth of charge. It's pretty rad tbh

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've had a Lenovo for a year or so and aside from having to send it back for a service it's not too bad.

Also it's starting to slow down and feels like things don't work right.

All computers are poo poo let's go back to using abacus and drawing in the mud with a stick.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Outrail posted:

I've had a Lenovo for a year or so and aside from having to send it back for a service it's not too bad.

All computers are poo poo let's go back to using abacus and drawing in the mud with a stick.

Until Crapple decides that your stick version is outdated and no longer works with mud 2.0...

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Slayerjerman posted:

Until Crapple decides that your stick version is outdated and no longer works with mud 2.0...

You'll be happy to learn Apple is now offering stick 2.0 for sale. You could have used twig, stick, stem or one of the many other options but now with the removal of the wood port you're kind of forced to buy stick 2.0 or wait for twig 2.0. It's called innovation.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 16, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tarkus posted:

Apple is a lot like Nintendo. They seem to actively hate their customers.

I see it as an amused contempt

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

A couple of things that ensured I will never buy an Apple product again:

1) my wife had an iPhone and I tried to add a single MP3 from a CD I ripped. It was "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" because my only daughter at the time was obsessed with the song. After attempting to add a single MP3 to her phone for 4 hours I gave up as the only solution according to Apple was to "sync" the phone which would wipe out every single piece of data on her phone just so I could add a single MP3. On my Android phone I literally dragged and dropped it to a folder and it was there.

2) We were at my wife's friend's house and she knew I was a computer nerd so she asked me why she couldn't get her photos off of her iPhone onto her iMac. I hosed around on her computer for the better part of 2 hours. iTunes said it would not connect to the phone because it was an old version of iTunes. When I went to update iTunes, it said it could not be updated because the OS was out of date. When I tried to update the OS, it said it could not because the hardware was not compatible. Keep in mind that for years she had no problems using iTunes to get her photos. Apple just arbitrarily determined they no longer wanted her to be allowed to do that.

3) We have an old iPad 3rd gen (the one before the Air) and wanted to use it for my kids since we weren't using it any more and it turns out you cannot even browse websites on it any more. Safari says it's too out of date and there's no new updates for it. We even tried different browsers in the App store like Dolphin and Chrome and got the same bullshit. Meanwhile I dug out my Windows 98 laptop and I can browse the web just fine on it lmao.

4) My wife's mom had a MacBook, I don't remember how old it was but it was the last one to have a disc drive. Anyway the thing should be perfectly capable of browsing the web but nope, Safari is part of the loving operating system update (instead of being a program you can just download) and the thing was essentially a paperweight for her.

I really don't understand how people put up with this poo poo. Yeah Windows is kinda annoying with their terrible update system but goddamn Apple is actually hostile towards their customers. And imagine having to carry around a dongle for every single stupid scenario like USB-A, HDMI, SD cards, etc. It completely defeats the purpose of having a super thin portable laptop. It's the same line of thinking that they make their phones as thin as possible while having a quarter inch thick camera bump.

Some of this is just unbelievable and I'm probably taking the bait by replying, but here we go.

1) Managing your phone through itunes sucks, I agree with that completely. But adding an mp3 isn't that hard and shouldn't take 4 hours to figure out. Syncing your phone won't wipe everything out (unless you're trying to do some complicated thing where you sync to multiple computers maybe). At least not in the time I've been using iphones, since whenever the 4 came out. How long ago was this? Anyway, the only thing I can think of here is that I remember a setting you flip to go from automatic management of your itunes media to manual, and if you switch over to manual it will wipe all your songs and movies and stuff and you have to select the ones you want to add and transfer them over. In other words, manually manage it. Yeah, it would be better if you could drag and drop from a folder instead of using checkboxes in a big itunes list, but it's not like itunes is impossible to figure out, and you can always google it. These days you can also use the Files app if you want to just move 1 file over quckly, but I'm guessing that wasn't around whenever you were doing this.

2) For photos, you can just plug the phone into a USB port and get to them like any camera. The phone will ask you if you want to trust the computer, you say yes, and then in windows you just find it in explorer and double click until you're in the DCIM folder. In MacOS it's basically the same, except you use the Image Capture app instead of going to a folder. Again, google could've answered this for you. You don't even have to open itunes and iphoto/photos to do this.

3) I can't comment about the browser being disabled on old ipads since I don't have one, although it sounds suspicious. What modern browser still runs on your windows 98 laptop though? As far as I can tell, Chrome has never supported windows 98, and the last version of firefox that did was firefox 2 circa 2006, lol. You're not gonna have a very good experience with those browsers on 2020s websites. That probably includes anything that uses https because I'm guessing the version of TLS would be too old to work.

4) My sister still uses my old 2011 macbook pro, which I believe was also the last model with the dvd drive. Safari still works, but you can also install chrome or firefox or whatever other browser on macos, it's not like ios which uses the safari rendering engine in 3rd party browsers. It's true that it can no longer update to the latest version of macos -- I think it's on 10.13 maybe? And I agree that's a problem because eventually browsers will stop being released for old OSes (like your win98 laptop). A quick google search shows that chrome requires at least macos 10.11, which means that any macbooks from 2006 or earlier are no longer supported by chrome because they don't have a compatible operating system.

I don't care that you hate apple or whatever, that's fine and there are plenty of valid reasons for it, but not being able to figure out how to do basic stuff that millions of people do without issue is a pretty terrible one, lol.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I heard they're going to remove the charging port from the latest macbook to make it look sleeker.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

As always the Onion was ahead of the times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i got this laptop for less than 200 bucks at Target and it can run Stardew Valley and Magic Arena and whatever twee indie bullshit i want to play

so in conclusion op you are objectively incorrect

buddy

pal

friendo

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Whelp I went with a Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 can't wait to find what garbage bloatware is on it. I bet the laptop is going to suck.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The MacBook pro's with m1 pro chips are great (looking at grabbing the 14 inch one soon). So are the cheaper m1 airs for that matter. Great basic laptops with killer battery life. I have a MacBook pro 13 inch from 2015 I picked up used three summers ago for $600 bucks, and it's served me well till now, as it's getting a little long in the tooth, 7 years later. If I buy a new pro for $2,000, and it lasts me 5-7 years, I'm fine with that. But I will always have a desktop mac too. (ergonomically for a full workday require a larger display and proper seated position, but I travel enough for work I need a laptop as well.)

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
A laptop is my rear end and my phone is my balls

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Replaced the keyboard on my Thinkpad T460s the other day after someone spilled coffee on it, was super easy. $20 for the replacement

Only complaint I have about the laptop is the function key is in the bottom right corner instead of ctrl. What mad man designed that abomination

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

LionArcher posted:

The MacBook pro's with m1 pro chips are great (looking at grabbing the 14 inch one soon). So are the cheaper m1 airs for that matter. Great basic laptops with killer battery life. I have a MacBook pro 13 inch from 2015 I picked up used three summers ago for $600 bucks, and it's served me well till now, as it's getting a little long in the tooth, 7 years later. If I buy a new pro for $2,000, and it lasts me 5-7 years, I'm fine with that. But I will always have a desktop mac too. (ergonomically for a full workday require a larger display and proper seated position, but I travel enough for work I need a laptop as well.)

That's nice but sometimes I like to play games on my laptop (I do have a desktop too) and Apples attitude towards anything a user might want is "gently caress off we'll tell you want you want". Worse though is how the poo poo they do that is bad tends to be copied worse by other companies. They do manage for the most part to make hardware that is well put together as oppose to garbage which I suppose is nice.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

That's nice but sometimes I like to play games on my laptop (I do have a desktop too) and Apples attitude towards anything a user might want is "gently caress off we'll tell you want you want". Worse though is how the poo poo they do that is bad tends to be copied worse by other companies. They do manage for the most part to make hardware that is well put together as oppose to garbage which I suppose is nice.

It's less gently caress off and more they're at war with NV, and not enough other companies have ported/want to play with metal. Still, down the road I think this will be fixed with online streaming services. I can play halo on a new MacBook pro easier than I could on my PS5, which is wild. I will say not having access to the latest age of empires on the mac is a bummer though. RTS are perfect on computers.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

LionArcher posted:

It's less gently caress off and more they're at war with NV, and not enough other companies have ported/want to play with metal. Still, down the road I think this will be fixed with online streaming services. I can play halo on a new MacBook pro easier than I could on my PS5, which is wild. I will say not having access to the latest age of empires on the mac is a bummer though. RTS are perfect on computers.

No for anything deemed not part of Apple's image it sure is "gently caress off". See games, see a black computer (look how long it took them to offer space grey), see anything that gets in the way of being unnecessarily thin.

You can play a Bungie game on a mac? Whoa whoa whoa that's amazing. Never seen that before.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 26, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bad Purchase posted:

Some of this is just unbelievable and I'm probably taking the bait by replying, but here we go.

:words:

I don't care that you hate apple or whatever, that's fine and there are plenty of valid reasons for it, but not being able to figure out how to do basic stuff that millions of people do without issue is a pretty terrible one, lol.

here do mine:

Klyith posted:

Apple support is some bullshit that tells you they are the best over and over until you believe it.

I have an aunt who was having disabling medical issues from the spring through about a month ago. While this was going on she got an email from apple that her macbook was on the list for a battery recall. Since I was visiting her I made a 1 hour trip up to syracuse to the nearest apple store to get it replaced, because she was spending 90% of her day lying down with the laptop in bed. Made the advance appointment through apple's service app, was thinking "wow I guess this is what you pay for".

I was extremely disappointed by apple's legendary service. When I got there they told me that they'd be boxing it up and shipping it to a service center, 2-3 weeks turnaround time. I was like "what the gently caress did I come all the way here for then?" -- apple's messages on the subject implied that you could ship it to them or have it fixed at an apple store. No mention that the 'genius bar' was just a more involved method of shipping it.

And when I was unhappy and asking if there was any other way to do this, the guy said they could do a battery replacement on site right then -- if I paid like $200 for a new battery rather than doing the recall replacement.

tl;dr gently caress apple and their fake-rear end luxury brand image

(my aunt is better now, but still buys apple everything.)

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Bad Purchase posted:

3) I can't comment about the browser being disabled on old ipads.

I know the very early iPads had so little RAM that Safari is basically useless, it crashes endlessly with any semi-modern or modern web page. Nothing’s disabled though, it’s just too old to work anymore. Ironically, the forums work fine, that’s all I use my ancient paperweight for.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Outrail posted:

If you're using Windows, it might be time to reinstall it because it will rot over time. Windows installations always rot.

I've got a Lenovo T520 and it's the most bulletproof computer I've ever had, though it's even more useless for gaming than it otherwise would be because I have to disable the nVidia chip because the Linux drivers are so poo poo. With an SSD and 12 gigs of RAM, it is still quite responsive (if not exactly great, after all it is 12 years old and the GPU is turned off) doing everyday tasks and web browsing. I'd really like to have a better battery for it because the one I have lasts only about two hours.

Maybe one day I'll be able to afford one of those anniversary ThinkPads with the 7-row keyboard and less ancient hardware...:smith:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I want a flaptop. Just a computer with a flap of skin hanging over the monitor.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I've got a Microsoft surface laptop 4 and it is excellent but I'd never spend my own money on it, it's too expensive.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

LionArcher posted:

Still, they could absolutely have supported modern OpenGL and Vulkan. Sure, Metal is apparently great - but Vulkan is also fine and actually exists on other platforms.

As for laptops, I too have a "nice but I wouldn't pay quite that much myself" laptop from work, under a deal where it's basically my private laptop unless I quit within a few years. (I pulled it out of a sealed Lenovo box myself, and I'm the only admin on it). It's a Thinkpad P14s Gen2 , which for some reason is absolutely identical hardware to the T14 Gen2. The neat and unusual thing about it is the 8-core Ryzen Pro and the 48 GB of RAM I stuffed in it, which has proven useful for running bioinformatics tools in WSL. It's otherwise a typical T series - and I don't like how hard the bottom cover is to remove on these models. I do otherwise enjoy it, it's boringly solid.

Also, Lenovo's on-site support is just miles ahead of Applecare. I can call them, talk to a bored (Norwegian!) engineer who knows what he's doing, and they'll send a service tech with spare parts out to us the next day. Even the depot warranty has its upsides - they'll mail out parts I'm capable of replacing myself, instead of absolutely requiring me to send them the laptop.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Woolie Wool posted:

If you're using Windows, it might be time to reinstall it because it will rot over time. Windows installations always rot.

I've got a Lenovo T520 and it's the most bulletproof computer I've ever had, though it's even more useless for gaming than it otherwise would be because I have to disable the nVidia chip because the Linux drivers are so poo poo. With an SSD and 12 gigs of RAM, it is still quite responsive (if not exactly great, after all it is 12 years old and the GPU is turned off) doing everyday tasks and web browsing. I'd really like to have a better battery for it because the one I have lasts only about two hours.

Maybe one day I'll be able to afford one of those anniversary ThinkPads with the 7-row keyboard and less ancient hardware...:smith:

It's less than 2 years old! This is a T495 if that matters

e: or maybe three years? I've lost track.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

A couple of things that ensured I will never buy an Apple product again:

1) my wife had an iPhone and I tried to add a single MP3 from a CD I ripped. It was "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" because my only daughter at the time was obsessed with the song. After attempting to add a single MP3 to her phone for 4 hours I gave up as the only solution according to Apple was to "sync" the phone which would wipe out every single piece of data on her phone just so I could add a single MP3. On my Android phone I literally dragged and dropped it to a folder and it was there.

2) We were at my wife's friend's house and she knew I was a computer nerd so she asked me why she couldn't get her photos off of her iPhone onto her iMac. I hosed around on her computer for the better part of 2 hours. iTunes said it would not connect to the phone because it was an old version of iTunes. When I went to update iTunes, it said it could not be updated because the OS was out of date. When I tried to update the OS, it said it could not because the hardware was not compatible. Keep in mind that for years she had no problems using iTunes to get her photos. Apple just arbitrarily determined they no longer wanted her to be allowed to do that.

3) We have an old iPad 3rd gen (the one before the Air) and wanted to use it for my kids since we weren't using it any more and it turns out you cannot even browse websites on it any more. Safari says it's too out of date and there's no new updates for it. We even tried different browsers in the App store like Dolphin and Chrome and got the same bullshit. Meanwhile I dug out my Windows 98 laptop and I can browse the web just fine on it lmao.

4) My wife's mom had a MacBook, I don't remember how old it was but it was the last one to have a disc drive. Anyway the thing should be perfectly capable of browsing the web but nope, Safari is part of the loving operating system update (instead of being a program you can just download) and the thing was essentially a paperweight for her.

I really don't understand how people put up with this poo poo. Yeah Windows is kinda annoying with their terrible update system but goddamn Apple is actually hostile towards their customers. And imagine having to carry around a dongle for every single stupid scenario like USB-A, HDMI, SD cards, etc. It completely defeats the purpose of having a super thin portable laptop. It's the same line of thinking that they make their phones as thin as possible while having a quarter inch thick camera bump.

lol, "i'm a computr janitor whose brain is full i cant learn anymore.txt"

c'mon man, i'm 53 and all totally comfortable using everything from legacy Silicon Graphics supercomputers to iPads and everything in between. just for fun i rewrote the engineering firmware in the Commodore 64 disk drive to make it transfer data faster AND, decades later, i doodle on my iPad with Procreate and Nomad Sculpt.

tldr: you have no excuse for your ignorance if you aren't willing to learn.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 26, 2022

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

c'mon man, i'm 53 and all totally comfortable using everything from legacy Silicon Graphics supercomputers to iPads and everything in between.

Now put it in the dumpster for me.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Zeluth posted:

Now put it in the dumpster for me.

sure old SGI hardware is crap, but it's literally responsible for every graphics tech we have now.

e:lol, my iPhone 12 destroys any 80's or 90's multi million dollar supercomputer's computational power. it's pretty amazing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

c'mon man, i'm 53 and all totally comfortable using everything from legacy Silicon Graphics supercomputers to iPads and everything in between. just for fun i rewrote the engineering firmware in the Commodore 64 disk drive to make it transfer data faster AND, decades later, i doodle on my iPad with Procreate and Nomad Sculpt.

tldr: you have no excuse for your ignorance if you aren't willing to learn.

I'm a steamfitter lol

I just hate apple because of stuff like glossy screens with no matte option and how tons of programs stop working with new macos release.

Also a phone with no back button is pretty lol

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I'm a steamfitter lol

I just hate apple because of stuff like glossy screens with no matte option and how tons of programs stop working with new macos release.

meh, i was a huge Android fan for years, but Apple, for it's walled garden, just loving works. plus, you can turn off the uber creepy Facebook tracking, which you can't do on ANY Android phone AFAIK.

e: oh hey, steamfitting is cool and probably a lot more rewarding than working twenty years in IT because you are actually building poo poo.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

meh, i was a huge Android fan for years, but Apple, for it's walled garden, just loving works. plus, you can turn off the uber creepy Facebook tracking, which you can't do on ANY Android phone AFAIK.

Oh yeah I'm almost ready to picket in the streets over the fact that with Google you cannot ever change your email address or else you lose every single one of your Google Play purchases. With Apple you literally just log into the store and change your email address.

I like Pixel phones and PCs but that doesn't mean I'd ever defend companies like Google and Microsoft. They still suck rear end lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think Macs are cool but I use an ASUS Zenbook because there's apps I use a lot that are native on it and I don't really care that much about an OS so that's what I do thanks for listening.

Every now and again I check out Linux distros and they've pretty good these days but there's no reason to use them at all for me because I already have a laptop that does the stuff I need, so problem already solved.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am an uncle and get to see my nephew through iWhatever.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

tldr: you have no excuse for your ignorance if you are willing to learn.

lmao is that what you say to friends and family who have computer problems also?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Klyith posted:

lmao is that what you say to friends and family who have computer problems also?

yes, this is exactly what i say when i don''t want to help someone. it works really well and they never ask me to help them again. lol, i was a sysadmin for twenty loving years. i'm retired from that poo poo.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm a steamfitter lol

Matte screens suck.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I haven't had a desktop since 2003, which was a sick Dell bought during the "Dude, you're getting a Dell" period. I move a lot and spent/spend a lot of time working abroad, so desktops were never an option anyway. I used a 10-inch EEEPC for almost 5 years. I miss that thing.

I got a random gamer notebook in China back in like January 2017, and it's still going hard. Overclocked GTX 1500, i7-7700, 16GB RAM, full-size keyboard, manual fan switch, 1TB HDD, 128GB SDD, and space for THREE more loving SDDs (which I quickly filled). It cost me $900 total.

Now I look at the specs of new gaming notebooks in the US and they are all horribly crippled, have poo poo keyboards, cost an arm and an rear end in a top hat to get one that has both an HDD and SDD, no space for extra SDDs, and cost like $500-700 more for something with less features than what I paid in 2017. I want something with a 3070, but so many companies are selling low-watt versions, and they come with only a single SDD slot or some other bullshit. Is it too much to ask to have ample storage AND a GPU that is powered to reach its actual potential? I think I'll be on my current notebook for another 3-4 years at this rate, maybe hoping to get something with a RTX 5060 that runs like a desktop 2080.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The secret to Macs is just get a slightly older one from eBay w the specs you want. I got mine for about half price a couple months back.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Whelp I went with a Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 can't wait to find what garbage bloatware is on it. I bet the laptop is going to suck.

why are you buying a laptop aimed at 14 year olds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tankakern posted:

why are you buying a laptop aimed at 14 year olds

Gee I don't know maybe because the previous generation is considered a good computer? This one appears to be an improvement. Maybe I like the 14in form factor. Maybe I wanted dedicated graphics. Maybe the stupid dot display and ugly key shape keyboard don't bother me because I'm not a super serious "adult" with important things to do.