Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008

kazr posted:

Only complaint I have about the laptop is the function key is in the bottom right corner instead of ctrl. What mad man designed that abomination

It is dumb but you can swap these in the BIOS pretty easily which rules

I've got a W520 from 11 years ago that just keeps scooting along, love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
typing this on my Thinkpad T430, an actual MIL-SPEC laptop certified for use on Mount Everest, active combat situations and the International Space Station.

e: please show me any other non specialized laptop that can operate in a sandstorm, extreme temperatures or extreme humidity. go ahead, i'll wait.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 27, 2022

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
MacBooks get a literal spec of dust and it renders the entire irreplaceable keyboard useless lol

Meanwhile my kid spilled an entire bowl of cheerios on my ThinkPad keyboard and it works absolutely fine

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

PITY BONER posted:

I haven't had a desktop since 2003, which was a sick Dell bought during the "Dude, you're getting a Dell" period. I move a lot and spent/spend a lot of time working abroad, so desktops were never an option anyway. I used a 10-inch EEEPC for almost 5 years. I miss that thing.

I got a random gamer notebook in China back in like January 2017, and it's still going hard. Overclocked GTX 1500, i7-7700, 16GB RAM, full-size keyboard, manual fan switch, 1TB HDD, 128GB SDD, and space for THREE more loving SDDs (which I quickly filled). It cost me $900 total.

Now I look at the specs of new gaming notebooks in the US and they are all horribly crippled, have poo poo keyboards, cost an arm and an rear end in a top hat to get one that has both an HDD and SDD, no space for extra SDDs, and cost like $500-700 more for something with less features than what I paid in 2017. I want something with a 3070, but so many companies are selling low-watt versions, and they come with only a single SDD slot or some other bullshit. Is it too much to ask to have ample storage AND a GPU that is powered to reach its actual potential? I think I'll be on my current notebook for another 3-4 years at this rate, maybe hoping to get something with a RTX 5060 that runs like a desktop 2080.

get an external drive instead of hoping for a laptop that you can load half a dozen cheap lovely SSDs into

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

MacBooks get a literal spec of dust and it renders the entire irreplaceable keyboard useless lol

Meanwhile my kid spilled an entire bowl of cheerios on my ThinkPad keyboard and it works absolutely fine

I believe they fixed that at some point.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
laptops? no thanks I'll be keeping my astronomical sperm count tyvm

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Harald posted:

laptops? no thanks I'll be keeping my astronomical sperm count tyvm

Not a problem for the ThinkPad’s keyboard

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

love on the cheap posted:

It is dumb but you can swap these in the BIOS pretty easily which rules

I've got a W520 from 11 years ago that just keeps scooting along, love it
That was the best generation, I've still got a T520, what a beast.

I just now got the new X1 Yoga, it owns. Great 16:10 screen, touch & pen, awesome keyboard and clit mouse. What else could you possibly want?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Very unamerican thread

Some of us can't have tower PCs because 9/11 is still fresh in our minds

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Apple 2 forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dUbDDmXp2I&t=4s

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
My last few laptops were Acers and I’ve been real happy with them. Great bang for your buck. My newest one is far harder to upgrade than my last one though, it no longer has the little doors on the bottom for hard drive and ram, but makes me take the entire back off. Not the end of the world but it was a real shame that this one needed so much more effort and chances to break things when the last ones made it as easy as possible to upgrade

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PITY BONER posted:

I got a random gamer notebook in China back in like January 2017, and it's still going hard. Overclocked GTX 1500, i7-7700, 16GB RAM, full-size keyboard, manual fan switch, 1TB HDD, 128GB SDD, and space for THREE more loving SDDs (which I quickly filled). It cost me $900 total.

Gonna need the brand name for this one

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My G14 arrived. 14in is really the superior size for laptops.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it struggled with Amazon.com on battery. All laptops suck.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

actually the m1 mba is a great laptop op

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Hey good news everyone it's garbage. The display is noticeably warmer on one side than the other. While it was subtle enough for me to go "hmmm am I crazy?" this has been noticed by multiple other people. gently caress.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Enjoy staring at your reflection in their disgustingly reflective displays

Oh and carrying USB adapters everywhere

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I used to love ThinkPads, but since Windows 8 I've found them to be very slow regardless of specs.

I recently invested in a solid desktop PC and just remote access it from a Surface. Its way better than any laptop I've ever used.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

New G14 arrived. The display has a slight pinkish hue. At least I think it does.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I bought a Lenovo and it play eso and i can sculpt in blender (not at the same time) and i can code so I'm pretty happy. What are you doing to your laptops

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

New G14 arrived. The display has a slight pinkish hue. At least I think it does.

What was opening an Apple product like?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Who can build a desktop in this economy

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zeluth posted:

What was opening an Apple product like?

Eh? It's been awhile since I've bought an Apple product. Fine? Their display game is pretty good. At least as far as quality goes, I'm not sure what the gently caress they were thinking with that cheese grater monitor.

I think the pinkish color temperature is acceptable it's the kind of thing that's noticeable when compared to another display but probably fine if you don't. If I wasn't already looking for issues it probably would go unnoticed.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 8, 2022

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hmmmph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er980Bs5dfs

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I do all my best monster fighting in heels.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was just looking at her tits.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

Eh? It's been awhile since I've bought an Apple product. Fine? Their display game is pretty good. At least as far as quality goes, I'm not sure what the gently caress they were thinking with that cheese grater monitor.

I think the pinkish color temperature is acceptable it's the kind of thing that's noticeable when compared to another display but probably fine if you don't. If I wasn't already looking for issues it probably would go unnoticed.

I would find this unacceptable on a $120 Nintendo DS Lite. That is unacceptable for a $2,000 laptop. Exchange it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chinatown posted:

only ONE screen?

a computer for IDIOTS

Agreed. But the key is to have the right tool for the job, that is why I use a Mac Mini, MacBook Air and iPad Pro 12.9. Plus there is a Lenovo in here for random other stuff. And the wall screen has a Chromebox.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I would find this unacceptable on a $120 Nintendo DS Lite. That is unacceptable for a $2,000 laptop. Exchange it.

I think if I was being picky I'd never be satisfied and this seems like the kind of thing I'd just get use to/could fiddle with and fix. We'll see how I feel in a couple days.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

Agreed. But the key is to have the right tool for the job, that is why I use a Mac Mini, MacBook Air and iPad Pro 12.9. Plus there is a Lenovo in here for random other stuff. And the wall screen has a Chromebox.

Why do you have so many macs if you need the right tool for the job?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Three Olives posted:

Do you use the one on the wall?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Good news seems like when the fan activates it makes a kind of clicky noise. Wonderful craftsmanship.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

Good news seems like when the fan activates it makes a kind of clicky noise. Wonderful craftsmanship.

Crapple WackBook

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Duck and Cover posted:

lol, my ancient but rock solid T430 that i am currently typing this response on cost me $299.99 as a corporate refurbished laptop.

it is very quiet.

e:lol you still can't join any Mac to an Active Directory domain in a corporate environment.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Three Olives posted:

lol,fygm.jpg

e:lol, why do the people who have no idea how to use tech always seem to have the most expensive poo poo? give me your most expensive poo poo so that it actually gets used properly.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 9, 2022

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
talka bout a very worn down telephone

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

non human, doesn't human count

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Three Olives posted:

Jesus Christ, this is identical to the room of the self proclaimed entrepreneur guy I knew. A lot of tech and screens with the blinds and brown couch and seats. It's an exact copy, it's wild.

There's no commentary from me on the actual room, it just put me right there mentally with him explaining some business idea he had which I think was a poorly thought out MLM?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Crapple WackBook

It's an Asus Zephyrus G14. Apple stuff can have issues but usually is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Laptops are overpriced toys for idiot children. Get a real computer.