Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Laptops are overpriced toys for idiot children. Get a real computer.

I can and do have both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

I can and do have both.

Oh, well, carry on then.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

yeah so i recently got a chromebook

wasnt planning on a chromebook but it had what i was lookin for and i got a really good deal

still not 100% sure about chromeos but its fine so far for random poo poo. anyway thanks for reading, bye

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
*runs into thread, sweating profusely and wheezing. just in time for a page 1 post* OP, you're...mom.. is on my lap rn..and you're right ..she sucks!!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I only have an M1 MacBook these days. I've had it for a year now and it''s really good, I think?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

yeah so i recently got a chromebook

wasnt planning on a chromebook but it had what i was lookin for and i got a really good deal

still not 100% sure about chromeos but its fine so far for random poo poo. anyway thanks for reading, bye

The security department at work is desperately trying to force chrome OS based desktops onto everyone in the company. Not just the customer service slaves, which they’ve succeeded in doing, but now the engineers and poo poo are their next target. And since “it’s for security” is the same as saying “it stops terrorism” I’m positive that it’ll happen regardless of any protest or demonstration that they won’t be able to do their jobs anymore.

Not just chrome os. A special custom chrome os that is all locked down and worse than normal

The point I’m trying to get at here is gently caress chrome os

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m the Elvira Funko pop

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i got a real nice open box huawei ultrabook off of ebay a few years ago and it's turned out to be a good value even though it has some issues (wiped the HD and reset everything, there's some issue with the sound driver so it bluescreens occasionally and the fingerprint scanner stopped working after a recent windows update)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i don't think a computer that crashes randomly is a great value

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Inept posted:

lol, that's what I was thinking.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Tarkus posted:

lol, that's what I was thinking.

crashes frequently, transmits my data to a foreign government. Over all a perfect 5/7

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

kazr posted:

crashes frequently, transmits my data to a foreign government. Over all a perfect 5/7

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

The security department at work is desperately trying to force chrome OS based desktops onto everyone in the company. Not just the customer service slaves, which they’ve succeeded in doing, but now the engineers and poo poo are their next target. And since “it’s for security” is the same as saying “it stops terrorism” I’m positive that it’ll happen regardless of any protest or demonstration that they won’t be able to do their jobs anymore.

Not just chrome os. A special custom chrome os that is all locked down and worse than normal

Meh, Chrome OS is fine for shitposting on SA, and what more do you really need?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Real talk, the Macbook Pro is far and away the best laptop.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Is it a plus if the crashes interrupt personal data from being sent home?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Giraffe posted:

For idiots, sure.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

mostly when i tried to use ableton :shrug: not really a daily issue. it's not my main pc anyways, i just wanted something light and small and it was a good deal and nice specs. i appreciate it's not going to last like my thinkpad probably. the most annoying thing was it came with some dumb partition setup on the HD and fixing that was a bit of a headache

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

CaptainSarcastic posted:

For idiots, sure.

For everybody!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Giraffe posted:

It really is very good this generation. I have slightly weird requirements and I'm not a huge fan of macOS, so I've picked something else - but the hardware does very little wrong and some things extremely well. The usb-c only thing is kind of annoying, and I'd like a matte screen, but those are not the worst issues to have.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 10, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Macs are bad and dumb, and playing second fiddle to iPhones has only made them even more bad and dumb.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Duck and Cover posted:

It's true they all suck. Apple ones too. All of them suck. Weak hinges. Bad displays. Bad software. Bad software. Bad software. I had one computer that would make the colors look like complete poo poo on battery (a Samsung) just so they could pretend to compete with Apples runtime levels. Like for fucks sake. My present one is a Razer that has it's speaker grill coming off (it's pretty much a sticker). My Lenovo had an awful display. (that model had two different display manufacturers, hope you got the better one LOL).

Oh and mac fans? I had an mac at one point (well I had ones even earlier but those don't count) and I suppose the laptop itself was fine, but the durability of the magsafe? Hmmm not so much. Also the touch bar in the new ones? L.O.L. At one point the keyboards were super duper bad.

Anyway thinking about buying a new laptop that'll fall apart in like 2 years.

yeah, they do, but consider this: you can take them w. you whereever you want.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think my favorite feature of the G14 is that the garbage always on indicator lights (well if the computer is off they're probably also off) are visible in use because of the reflective Zephyrs text on the bottom of the display. Just so dumb.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

yeah, they do, but consider this: you can take them w. you whereever you want.

e: i actually do agree with this

Giraffe posted:

but its also very definitely the worst value for money

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i use windows and mac laptops all day and i can't imagine having such a strong opinion on what's good and bad. who loving cares

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Inept posted:

i use windows and mac laptops all day and i can't imagine having such a strong opinion on what's good and bad. who loving cares

My condolences on having your spirit broken so badly.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

its fine for like browsing the internet and reading some ebooks and watching youtubes etc but lol at trying to use them as work computers for engineers

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

its fine for like browsing the internet and reading some ebooks and watching youtubes etc but lol at trying to use them as work computers for engineers

The funniest part is they aren’t even laptops, but (more expensive) desktops. Just to ensure that they are as inconvenient as possible.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
I’m curious about getting a Pinebook, but I also don’t need one.

Just get a SteamDeck :^)

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'm desperately trying to keep my Sony Vaio from 2013 alive. It's held together with duct tape and every time I have to take it apart to fix I end up with a screw or two left over. It has a bluray player, back lit keyboard and touchscreen. Good luck finding all that poo poo on a laptop nowadays.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The latter two are fairly common, but the Bluray player is probably harder. You may be able to find a USB drive, but that's clearly worse than an internal one.

E: There are a handful of new-ish laptops with DVD drives, maybe it would be possible to upgrade one of those?

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 10, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I can feel speaker vibration.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I think my favorite feature of the G14 is that the garbage always on indicator lights (well if the computer is off they're probably also off) are visible in use because of the reflective Zephyrs text on the bottom of the display. Just so dumb.

Isnt the g14 the one that didn’t even have a webcam rofl

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Flyndre posted:

Isnt the g14 the one that didn’t even have a webcam rofl

Yep they now have a webcam but they got rid of the fingerprint reader.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Good

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Yep they now have a webcam but they got rid of the fingerprint reader.

I use the tip of the ol' chili dog for both

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

kazr posted:

I use the tip of the ol' chili dog for both

Why do you have an "ol chili dog"? You gotta eat it while it's fresh.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I like my HP probook. It has never given me a single problem. gently caress HP anyway though.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
What's a PC?

Sent from my iPad

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Stealthgerbil posted:

I like my HP probook. It has never given me a single problem. gently caress HP anyway though.

While I feel it's possible for someone to get lucky and successfully buy a computer that is ok I also think people have a habit of ignoring/justifying problems for expensive things. See Tesla owners if you're in need of an example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Stealthgerbil posted:

HPE is a separate company now, but yeah. Basic BIOS updates to a five year old server? Sorry, those are only available to customers with a paid support contract. Non-HP RAM that is absolutely identical except for the extra HP logo? Sorry, that's a memory error and we can't boot. Drive trays to fit generic drives into their SAS chassis? Sorry, those do not exist and we put controller chips in them solely to lock out third parties. Drives sold with their blessed trays? Literally 3x list price vs the drive alone for generic SATA drives.

I guess they may have changed since last time I used them, but I'm still going to get our next servers from any other vendor.

Which is a derail in a laptop thread, but gently caress HPE.