Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's true they all suck. Apple ones too. All of them suck. Weak hinges. Bad displays. Bad software. Bad software. Bad software. I had one computer that would make the colors look like complete poo poo on battery (a Samsung) just so they could pretend to compete with Apples runtime levels. Like for fucks sake. My present one is a Razer that has it's speaker grill coming off (it's pretty much a sticker). My Lenovo had an awful display. (that model had two different display manufacturers, hope you got the better one LOL).

Oh and mac fans? I had an mac at one point (well I had ones even earlier but those don't count) and I suppose the laptop itself was fine, but the durability of the magsafe? Hmmm not so much. Also the touch bar in the new ones? L.O.L. At one point the keyboards were super duper bad.

Anyway thinking about buying a new laptop that'll fall apart in like 2 years.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rahu posted:

I’m gonna get one of those hot new M1x or M2 mbps that are coming soon. As long as they put more than 8 gigs of ram in the dang thing.

More ram? Ohhh well ram is awfully expensive you see so we have to charge you all of the money for more ram, you understand right?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

my laptop is fine, OP

Just because something is less trash doesn't make it not trash.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

OP, when I said Dell laptops suck, I wasn't trying to say your laptop doesn't suck. Of course all laptops suck. We're just trying to build awareness and start reforms to benefit a brand of laptops that has historically been overlooked despite sucking disproportionately.

That's fair I didn't mean to dilute your message by suggesting other laptops suck too.

pixaal posted:

If you are actually looking for a good laptop the SH/CH thread should be able to get you rolling. (If your use case is common you can probably even lurk the model number) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

If we are just making fun of how a good 90% of laptops are worthless pieces of poo poo carry on.

Seriously I loving hate touching any laptop any family member says they are having problems with. Why did you pick this it's flimsy and looks like you could knock it over when you sigh at yet another out of memory error because they soldered in 2x2GB locking you into 4GB forever.

As I recall they were the idiots who thought the Lenovo Thinkpad had an acceptable display. I tend to do my research it's just my standards are apparently too high. I'm thinking another Surface product, or Lenovo or maybe the Frameworks one. Might just wait this computer still works, although something is making my touchpad hard to click and I don't feel like trying to fix it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 12, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

ThinkPad T series and W series are still good. Plus they have user upgradable ram and user replaceable batteries.

Also they have God's mouse: the trackpoint nub

And unlike Crapple they still have USB ports, ethernet ports, and SD card slots.

Trackpoint nubs do indeed rule.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

My two laptops were an older ZenBook UX303 which was amazing. After like seven years I needed a new one and it got relegated to media centre duty (and then stolen with everything else a week ago).

It's replacement was a ZenBook UX425. It's also really amazing. I haven't had any problems and the design is light, small but sturdy. I'm not an action-laptop user tho so maybe if you're careening down a mountain it's different?

I had a ASUS Zenbook UX31. Maybe it was alright I don't remember.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

Linus recently reviewed the Framework fully upgradeable laptop, and was so impressed he ordered one after reviewing it... apparently something he does rarely, if ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rkTgPt3M4k

They're so in demand that you have to preorder them.
https://frame.work/

I'm planning on getting one in 2024, ready for when Windows 10 ceases to receive security updates in 2025. Hopefully by then they'll be shipping to Australia so I don't have to smeg around with a reshipper and face possible warranty complications.

They're not cheap, but hey, fully upgradeable.

The framework is definitely one I'm considering. Like I think they actually care about creating something that isn't complete garbage which definitely appeals to me.

Khanstant posted:

get a real computer op

Oh a desktop? My 3080 can handle Legion TD 2 annnnd Storybook Brawl. (maybe even at the same time if I wanted!) Pretty amazing, yes?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 14, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

down1nit posted:

I fix computers as a job. Laptops all suck. The least worst ones are the used "sales guy" laptops.

The ones that are pretty good not great in every way and marketed towards business and reliability. Probook 430ish, Latitude laptops, t series lenovo. Corporate buyers love these. They get resold super cheap.

You can usually fix them easy, and since yours is one of multiple thousands sold you can just buy an identical one as a backup so you don't crumble into the ground when your water bottle opens in your bag.

loving love my gen 3 probook 430

How loving dare you have the audacity to repair laptops. When they go bad you're suppose to chuck them out and buy a new one or get them repaired at dumb prices by your laptop manufacturer. I kind of wonder how much Razer would have charged to repair my speaker grill sticker, that they weren't willing to just sell me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

epic 2012 username posted:

The new craple crap tops are going to be win. My 2012 crapple crap retina 15 inch crap top is still going strong

I'd say the odds are in favor of it being a decent laptop but there's always a chance they pull another lovely keyboard out of nowhere. But but but it's thinner! Wait I know they'll have no headphone port or did they get rid of that already?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

verbal enema posted:

gently caress yeah that owns

Ewww interacting with people in person? No thanks.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Boner M posted:

Buying a laptop and being "ripped off" honestly says more about you than laptops.

Wow look at the moron idiot incapable of understanding that all laptops suck. Maybe consider being smarter before posting? Hmmm? Okay thanks! Like it's there in the title I don't know how you missed it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 15, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Let's watch Linus see if he can upgrade the ram in a Surface Laptop Studio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wwbo731jOQ&t=755s.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My main laptop right now is a Dell G7 15 7500 gaming laptop that I got last year (and got all warranty upgrades this time). I really like it. I can play any game I want on max settings and when it gets hot, which it does, it has a nice little gamer button thing that I can press and it turns all of the fans on max. Although it also throws some heated racial slurs at me.

Hmmm dedicated button for max fans does sound useful. Lots of computers are like "heeeeey you don't mine if the thing near your genitals is a bit hot do you?". I'd prefer it without the racial slurs though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Slayerjerman posted:

Until Crapple decides that your stick version is outdated and no longer works with mud 2.0...

You'll be happy to learn Apple is now offering stick 2.0 for sale. You could have used twig, stick, stem or one of the many other options but now with the removal of the wood port you're kind of forced to buy stick 2.0 or wait for twig 2.0. It's called innovation.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 16, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Whelp I went with a Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 can't wait to find what garbage bloatware is on it. I bet the laptop is going to suck.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

LionArcher posted:

The MacBook pro's with m1 pro chips are great (looking at grabbing the 14 inch one soon). So are the cheaper m1 airs for that matter. Great basic laptops with killer battery life. I have a MacBook pro 13 inch from 2015 I picked up used three summers ago for $600 bucks, and it's served me well till now, as it's getting a little long in the tooth, 7 years later. If I buy a new pro for $2,000, and it lasts me 5-7 years, I'm fine with that. But I will always have a desktop mac too. (ergonomically for a full workday require a larger display and proper seated position, but I travel enough for work I need a laptop as well.)

That's nice but sometimes I like to play games on my laptop (I do have a desktop too) and Apples attitude towards anything a user might want is "gently caress off we'll tell you want you want". Worse though is how the poo poo they do that is bad tends to be copied worse by other companies. They do manage for the most part to make hardware that is well put together as oppose to garbage which I suppose is nice.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

LionArcher posted:

It's less gently caress off and more they're at war with NV, and not enough other companies have ported/want to play with metal. Still, down the road I think this will be fixed with online streaming services. I can play halo on a new MacBook pro easier than I could on my PS5, which is wild. I will say not having access to the latest age of empires on the mac is a bummer though. RTS are perfect on computers.

No for anything deemed not part of Apple's image it sure is "gently caress off". See games, see a black computer (look how long it took them to offer space grey), see anything that gets in the way of being unnecessarily thin.

You can play a Bungie game on a mac? Whoa whoa whoa that's amazing. Never seen that before.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 26, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm a steamfitter lol

I just hate apple because of stuff like glossy screens with no matte option and how tons of programs stop working with new macos release.

Also a phone with no back button is pretty lol

Matte screens suck.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tankakern posted:

why are you buying a laptop aimed at 14 year olds

Gee I don't know maybe because the previous generation is considered a good computer? This one appears to be an improvement. Maybe I like the 14in form factor. Maybe I wanted dedicated graphics. Maybe the stupid dot display and ugly key shape keyboard don't bother me because I'm not a super serious "adult" with important things to do.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MacBooks get a literal spec of dust and it renders the entire irreplaceable keyboard useless lol

Meanwhile my kid spilled an entire bowl of cheerios on my ThinkPad keyboard and it works absolutely fine

I believe they fixed that at some point.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My G14 arrived. 14in is really the superior size for laptops.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it struggled with Amazon.com on battery. All laptops suck.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Hey good news everyone it's garbage. The display is noticeably warmer on one side than the other. While it was subtle enough for me to go "hmmm am I crazy?" this has been noticed by multiple other people. gently caress.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

New G14 arrived. The display has a slight pinkish hue. At least I think it does.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zeluth posted:

What was opening an Apple product like?

Eh? It's been awhile since I've bought an Apple product. Fine? Their display game is pretty good. At least as far as quality goes, I'm not sure what the gently caress they were thinking with that cheese grater monitor.

I think the pinkish color temperature is acceptable it's the kind of thing that's noticeable when compared to another display but probably fine if you don't. If I wasn't already looking for issues it probably would go unnoticed.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 8, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I do all my best monster fighting in heels.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I would find this unacceptable on a $120 Nintendo DS Lite. That is unacceptable for a $2,000 laptop. Exchange it.

I think if I was being picky I'd never be satisfied and this seems like the kind of thing I'd just get use to/could fiddle with and fix. We'll see how I feel in a couple days.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Good news seems like when the fan activates it makes a kind of clicky noise. Wonderful craftsmanship.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Crapple WackBook

It's an Asus Zephyrus G14. Apple stuff can have issues but usually is pretty good.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Laptops are overpriced toys for idiot children. Get a real computer.

I can and do have both.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think my favorite feature of the G14 is that the garbage always on indicator lights (well if the computer is off they're probably also off) are visible in use because of the reflective Zephyrs text on the bottom of the display. Just so dumb.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I can feel speaker vibration.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Flyndre posted:

Isnt the g14 the one that didn’t even have a webcam rofl

Yep they now have a webcam but they got rid of the fingerprint reader.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

kazr posted:

I use the tip of the ol' chili dog for both

Why do you have an "ol chili dog"? You gotta eat it while it's fresh.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Stealthgerbil posted:

I like my HP probook. It has never given me a single problem. gently caress HP anyway though.

While I feel it's possible for someone to get lucky and successfully buy a computer that is ok I also think people have a habit of ignoring/justifying problems for expensive things. See Tesla owners if you're in need of an example.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh my third g14 arrived and is setting up how exciting. Will it suck? Of course of course it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh my third g14 arrived and is setting up how exciting. Will it suck? Of course of course it will.
Speakers seem to cause roughly the same amount of vibration, and while the newest one doesn't seem to click when fan activates but it runs much hotter. Like 7c hotter. Also the display is kind of yellow.

edit: Okay probably more like 4c.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 12, 2022