Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I just stuffed a 32 GB module in the single socket in my P14s, for a total of 48GB. It's neat - and will be useful for what I do with it.

It's mildly annoying that the only version that was in stock was a 6-core with the touch screen; I wanted an 8-core with the much brighter and better non-touch panel. Oh well, not worth waiting two months for. Besides, it's still remarkably fast - and the onboard graphics are actually fast enough to play some games.

I do hate the new clip-on bottom covers though; they're far too easy to damage when prying them apart.

It's also a bit weird how the P14s is identical to the T14 - I have a gen1 T14 and a gen2 P14s, and they use the same service manual. The only real difference seems to be that the P14s comes with the pro certified Radeon drivers, Windows Pro, and 3 years on-site service. And they had it in stock where my employer orders from.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My partners late 2013 Pro does that - but it helps a lot if you find a way to disable turbo boost on the CPU. The older intel laptop CPUs seem to be a lot less power efficient when allowed to overclock up to their thermal limits.

He wrote a blog post about it that might be useful.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

kntfkr posted:

my work MacBook is like that. it's ol and has one of those long as cords that doesn't charge half the time and the square thing in the middle of it gets boiling hot as well.

That sounds like corrosion on the connectors - they corrode faster when they are hot, and they heat up more when corroded (because the oxides aren't great conductors), so it's kind of self propagating. Try rubbing the pins and connector down with contact cleaner?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I hear the new M1 Airs are good, and I think they're entirely passively cooled- which I guess may be beneficial in a laptop you plan to use for light workloads for many years?

One other maintenance thing - intel apparently recommends that you replace the thermal paste every few years, because the thermal cycling pumps it out from where it should be, which makes the cooling work notably worse.

We checked the aforementioned late 2013 macbook Pro a while ago, and it really did look kind of bad; anecdotally it did seem to work better/cooler with new thermal paste. (There is a relevant blog post about that as well, but posting it feels a bit too spammy.)

Here's an image I took at the time:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Old macbook pros are fine - it's just screws and a metal panel resting on a flat metal edge, so it comes apart and back together easily and with no damage.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tarkus posted:

For the mac people here, if you have too much money and like burning it you can just send me some instead. I'm cool with that.

Eh. Comparing similar specs, a macbook isn't noticeably more expensive than the Thinkpads I buy myself, and I have to admit that they seem to remain usable for longer than most PC laptops.

Of course, Apple has some outright money grabs, and I'm sure their margins are very comfortable. But the idea that their laptops are a silly waste of money doesn't really hold up.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Bad Purchase posted:

the "apple tax" these days is on upgrading the ram or storage. the base price of most of their laptops and phones are pretty reasonable for the performance and quality, but it escalates very quickly.

Very true, and it hasn't exactly gotten better with the "everything is on the SOC so you better get everything you need on day one" M1 models.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

LionArcher posted:

It's less gently caress off and more they're at war with NV, and not enough other companies have ported/want to play with metal. Still, down the road I think this will be fixed with online streaming services. I can play halo on a new MacBook pro easier than I could on my PS5, which is wild. I will say not having access to the latest age of empires on the mac is a bummer though. RTS are perfect on computers.

Still, they could absolutely have supported modern OpenGL and Vulkan. Sure, Metal is apparently great - but Vulkan is also fine and actually exists on other platforms.

As for laptops, I too have a "nice but I wouldn't pay quite that much myself" laptop from work, under a deal where it's basically my private laptop unless I quit within a few years. (I pulled it out of a sealed Lenovo box myself, and I'm the only admin on it). It's a Thinkpad P14s Gen2 , which for some reason is absolutely identical hardware to the T14 Gen2. The neat and unusual thing about it is the 8-core Ryzen Pro and the 48 GB of RAM I stuffed in it, which has proven useful for running bioinformatics tools in WSL. It's otherwise a typical T series - and I don't like how hard the bottom cover is to remove on these models. I do otherwise enjoy it, it's boringly solid.

Also, Lenovo's on-site support is just miles ahead of Applecare. I can call them, talk to a bored (Norwegian!) engineer who knows what he's doing, and they'll send a service tech with spare parts out to us the next day. Even the depot warranty has its upsides - they'll mail out parts I'm capable of replacing myself, instead of absolutely requiring me to send them the laptop.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Giraffe posted:

Real talk, the Macbook Pro is far and away the best laptop.

It really is very good this generation. I have slightly weird requirements and I'm not a huge fan of macOS, so I've picked something else - but the hardware does very little wrong and some things extremely well. The usb-c only thing is kind of annoying, and I'd like a matte screen, but those are not the worst issues to have.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 10, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The latter two are fairly common, but the Bluray player is probably harder. You may be able to find a USB drive, but that's clearly worse than an internal one.

E: There are a handful of new-ish laptops with DVD drives, maybe it would be possible to upgrade one of those?

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Stealthgerbil posted:

I like my HP probook. It has never given me a single problem. gently caress HP anyway though.

HPE is a separate company now, but yeah. Basic BIOS updates to a five year old server? Sorry, those are only available to customers with a paid support contract. Non-HP RAM that is absolutely identical except for the extra HP logo? Sorry, that's a memory error and we can't boot. Drive trays to fit generic drives into their SAS chassis? Sorry, those do not exist and we put controller chips in them solely to lock out third parties. Drives sold with their blessed trays? Literally 3x list price vs the drive alone for generic SATA drives.

I guess they may have changed since last time I used them, but I'm still going to get our next servers from any other vendor.

Which is a derail in a laptop thread, but gently caress HPE.